Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's exactly what I said? There's no reason to moan about the same thing when we win. He asked where we were, and I answered. We don't base our opinion on a short number of games. A month ago more than half of our supporters turned on Ole. I stand by that Ole is not good enough in the long run, he has done some things well and we are in a good position so just enjoy it.
:lol:

Zen86

But that's very black and white way of thinking. So if we beat Liverpool this weekend but lose out the league to city, you won't give him credit for beating Liverpool.
That’s pretty much the way it’s worked for the last 2 years. “Yeah we’re top of the league now, but we had a rubbish run last year so I don’t think he’s good enough”

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The easy and short answer, as I don't have time and energy right now to take a big discussion, is this: His style of play, he relies on individual players rather than some sort of pattern, tactics in general (still can't make a working defense, set-pieces, and basic positional play), he hasn't won anything and despite spending over 200 million pounds the excuse is still that he needs more money and players, which exemplifies my point that he relies on good individual players rather than style. Also the fact that he bought James and especially AWB, I can't see the logic behind such money for such limited players if your ambition is to be the leading team in Europe. Would Pep or Klopp but or even play AWB No way. If he can't play his best player, the team is very poor. You can even argue that we are not very good even if just Bruno is missing. Yes, we are in a good position and as I have said, he has done some good things and I know that the next manager will have an easier job. Ole has done a better job building the squad than LvG, Moyes, and Jose. But just because he has done that, doesn't say that he's the right man for United to win PL and CL. I don't think Ole will win PL or CL during his lifetime. Hope I'm wrong!
:lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
But that's very black and white way of thinking. So if we beat Liverpool this weekend but lose out the league to city, you won't give him credit for beating Liverpool.
beating liverpool away in the league deserves credit no matter what. I give him credit for leicester away last season. That's really the only high pressure game i've seen him win. psg away during the interim run too i guess. Let me be a little bit more clear. I'm not saying he gets zero credit for anything during those games, but my point is i still have doubts about Ole in big pressure matches so lets hope he proves me wrong this sunday.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Deary me. We literally play with very well trained, well coached, well practiced and proven patterns every game. We're the most consistent team in the league. Since Bruno signed (which enabled us to execute our style of play with confidence) we're the best team in England, with more points than the next best team, in Liverpool. Are you clinging on to the memory of caretaker manager Ole, who perhaps was finding his feet and working out his tactics with a miss mash of players? Because 2020 and so far, 2021 has been consistent, with a solid style of play.

How can't you see our patterns? We have our plan A- dominate games v's inferior, low block teams, slowly unlocking the door to 3 points, just like everybody else, even Pep and Klopp. We then have our plan B - counter superior teams with pace, power and quality, then we have our Plan C - throw the kitchen sink at teams when we're chasing a game.

And what's wrong with relying on individual brilliance? What is wrong with relying on a Pogba volley last night? Or the world class ability of Bruno, or the pace of Rashford/Martial forcing defenders to swing a leg at them and win a penalty? Isn't that exactly the reason top teams sign top players?

Don't you see most teams in world football rely on individual brilliance to win games?

Don't you see Liverpool are exactly the same - they knock the ball 50 yards up the pitch and press like maniacs and rely on individual brilliance from Salah or Mane?

Spurs - rely on Kane or Son on the counter?

City - rely on KDB to unlock doors and run their attacks?

Messi - consistently dragging Barca through games with individual brilliance every week?

Christ, would you prefer we were a team of bang average players like Burnley, who have no star players but a team of 11 hard working, top professionals?

I guess Fergies team of 2008 relied on Ronaldo & Rooney?

Lots of managers don't win trophies straight away. He's been rebuilding this team for 2 years, it needed major surgery. Yes he's spent £200m but he's also shipped out about £100m of players that were damaging for the club. So he's not spent £200m has he, he's spent £100m to improve the team dramatically. We were about 6th and now we're 3 points clear at the top of the league mate. Not bad for £50m net spend per year.

AWB has helped form one of the best defences in the PL whether you like it or not. Last season, no team in Europe had as many clean sheets as AWB, Maguire and the rest of the United defence. More clean sheets than Liverpool containing Van Dyck.

AWB is an excellent defensive RB. You can bet your hat that Klopp wishes he had AWB at his disposal when Trent AA was hooked off V's Southampton. There's no requirement to have an attacking fullback. Our style of play wins games differently to that of Liverpool and one or two other teams that play with attacking fullbacks. That doesn't mean that every fullback NEEDS to be attacking.

Dan James came in for peanuts and has assisted us as an impact player before, and may do so again. He's a squad player that wants to work hard and play for Ole and the badge. Liverpool have signed similar low risk players (Minamao, Tsimikas) who have arguably had less of an impact than Dan James. Do you criticise Klopp? Where's the logic behind signing those players? The exact same logic, they're adequate back-ups, and young, with low transfer fees. Just like Dan James.

I also doubt that Ole will win the PL this season, City will win the league. They're better than us. That's not the issue though is it. Optimistic fans, like myself wanted us to close the gap on the elite teams, with our young and learning squad. We're doing that. I don't understand how can you ignore the upward trajectory? Can't you see where he is taking us?

Some fans get offended when they don't get instant success. Like it's their divine right. Ole is slowly building something special here and long may it continue.
Good post, more patience than me.

I think posters still going on about no patterns of play and relying on individual brilliance along with we need to see if this continues despite our last years form just deserve to be laughed at it’s gone on so long

Widow

Oh there is, believe me. There's been a couple of posters that have consistently been shit posting pure negativity surrounding Solskjaer and anything he does, one of them was banned this year for doing so. They've all gone extremely quiet now, despite months of screaming from the rooftops about not being good enough.

After the amount of shite they've posted in the last year, they don't get the luxury of being left alone while we're top of the league halfway through the season.
Asking if someone is suicidal, a throw away comment or not, is going to far and if people think that's acceptable then that's me done!

A little too close to personal

Apologies for the off topic post. Last one

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
His rotation has been bang on lately. To be at this point in the season with a fully fit squad is a key reason we are where we are. No doubt some of it is down to luck, but the swapping of the CMs and the rest Telles has provided Shaw has stopped some key players breaking down.

He's instilled the United work ethic into the tea as well, we actually look up for scrappy battles now compared to a couple of years ago.

lysglimt

Scout
As a player himself, probably. As a manager and coaching players to excelling there... eh... Pep is probably the best attacking manager of all time.
When it comes to attacking football, teamwork, pressing, positioning - i don't disagree with you

When it comes to Rashfords one weakness as a footballer - his decision-making around the box, OGS is probably among the best in the world. Rashford has an "ability" to never be at the right place at the right time. He is like the exact opposite of RvN. There were a few situations yesterday when Shaw (I think on all occations) had the ball and clearly was getting ready to cross. Rashford was outside the box on the right side of the pitch. So we had like 2 players in the box against 5 defenders. Rashford needs to learn to get in the box. He needs to learn when to shoot, and when to pass. And i can promise that there aren't many better to teach him that than OGS

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Can you stick to constructive comments please.
Certainly.

It would be nice if mods made these kind of remarks when we had months and months of non constructive comments regarding Ole.

Ole out thread was still raging just a week or so ago so I apologies for mocking people still talking shit about patterns of play today

crossy1686

career ending
Asking if someone is suicidal, a throw away comment or not, is going to far and if people think that's acceptable then that's me done!

A little too close to personal

Apologies for the off topic post. Last one
Didn't mean for it to come across that way but I understand if you felt it was inappropriate. Apologies if that was the case.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Deary me. We literally play with very well trained, well coached, well practiced and proven patterns every game. We're the most consistent team in the league. Since Bruno signed (which enabled us to execute our style of play with confidence) we're the best team in England, with more points than the next best team, in Liverpool. Are you clinging on to the memory of caretaker manager Ole, who perhaps was finding his feet and working out his tactics with a miss mash of players? Because 2020 and so far, 2021 has been consistent, with a solid style of play.

How can't you see our patterns? We have our plan A- dominate games v's inferior, low block teams, slowly unlocking the door to 3 points, just like everybody else, even Pep and Klopp. We then have our plan B - counter superior teams with pace, power and quality, then we have our Plan C - throw the kitchen sink at teams when we're chasing a game.

And what's wrong with relying on individual brilliance? What is wrong with relying on a Pogba volley last night? Or the world class ability of Bruno, or the pace of Rashford/Martial forcing defenders to swing a leg at them and win a penalty? Isn't that exactly the reason top teams sign top players?

Don't you see most teams in world football rely on individual brilliance to win games?

Don't you see Liverpool are exactly the same - they knock the ball 50 yards up the pitch and press like maniacs and rely on individual brilliance from Salah or Mane?

Messi - consistently dragging Barca through games with individual brilliance every week?

Christ, would you prefer we were a team of bang average players like Burnley, who have no star players but a team of 11 hard working, top professionals?

Lots of managers don't win trophies straight away. He's been rebuilding this team for 2 years, it needed major surgery. Yes he's spent £200m but he's also shipped out about £100m of players that were damaging for the club. So he's not spent £200m has he, he's spent £100m to improve the team dramatically. We were about 6th and now we're 3 points clear at the top of the league mate. Not bad for £50m net spend per year.

AWB has helped form one of the best defences in the PL whether you like it or not. Last season, no team in Europe had as many clean sheets as AWB, Maguire and the rest of the United defence. More clean sheets than Liverpool containing Van Dyck.

AWB is an excellent defensive RB. You can bet your hat that Klopp wishes he had AWB at his disposal when Trent AA was hooked off V's Southampton. There's no requirement to have an attacking fullback. Our style of play wins games differently to that of Liverpool and one or two other teams that play with attacking fullbacks. That doesn't mean that every fullback NEEDS to be attacking.

Dan James came in for peanuts and has assisted us as an impact player before, and may do so again. He's a squad player that wants to work hard and play for Ole and the badge. Liverpool have signed similar low risk players (Minamao, Tsimikas) who have arguably had less of an impact than Dan James. Do you criticise Klopp? Where's the logic behind signing those players? The exact same logic, they're adequate back-ups, and young, with low transfer fees. Just like Dan James.

I also doubt that Ole will win the PL this season, City will win the league. They're better than us. That's not the issue though is it. Optimistic fans, like myself wanted us to close the gap on the elite teams, with our young and learning squad. We're doing that. I don't understand how can you ignore the upward trajectory? Can't you see where he is taking us?

Some fans get offended when they don't get instant success. Like it's their divine right. Ole is slowly building something special here and long may it continue.
Brilliant post mate, I expect the Ole out fans won’t read or comprehend it though.

crossy1686

career ending
His rotation has been bang on lately. To be at this point in the season with a fully fit squad is a key reason we are where we are. No doubt some of it is down to luck, but the swapping of the CMs and the rest Telles has provided Shaw has stopped some key players breaking down.

He's instilled the United work ethic into the tea as well, we actually look up for scrappy battles now compared to a couple of years ago.
Absolutely this. Barring a few nailed on starters like Bruno, Rashford and Maguire, I don't think I could comfortably pick our best 11 for the Liverpool game, or any other game. Yet Solskjaer is absolutely getting his team selections right.

Mickson

Certainly.

It would be nice if mods made these kind of remarks when we had months and months of non constructive comments regarding Ole.

Ole out thread was still raging just a week or so ago so I apologies for mocking people still talking shit about patterns of play today
We had arguments for our case, you may not agree with them but we (or at least I) try to make a point and stand for my opinions, if you don't see what I see or agree with me, that's not my problem, that's your problem. Should mods get stuck in because you don't agree? Very weird comment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, on the other hand, didn't bring anything to the discussion bar a laughing smiley like a child. You can do better.

When it comes to attacking football, teamwork, pressing, positioning - i don't disagree with you

When it comes to Rashfords one weakness as a footballer - his decision-making around the box, OGS is probably among the best in the world. Rashford has an "ability" to never be at the right place at the right time. He is like the exact opposite of RvN. There were a few situations yesterday when Shaw (I think on all occations) had the ball and clearly was getting ready to cross. Rashford was outside the box on the right side of the pitch. So we had like 2 players in the box against 5 defenders. Rashford needs to learn to get in the box. He needs to learn when to shoot, and when to pass. And i can promise that there aren't many better to teach him that than OGS
I hear you, but what are you basing that around? Has he coached anyone to excel at that, what's his merit there? Or is it just because he was a good striker himself? IMO, Pep is the master there, and his work with Sterling (according to Sterling himself and all the evidence in his development) for example is a much stronger argument for Pep. I think that Rashford, with Pep, could become world-class.

Regarding Rashford in the box, Ole can just tell him, or train him, to do that? No? I think both Martial and Rashford would become world-class if they were more ruthless. They both seem to have that showboating-aura around them. Like Martial's finishing yesterday.

meamth

Oh wow. Everything that I believed and stood for.

Great great post, long may it continue.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We had arguments for our case, you may not agree with them but we (or at least I) try to make a point and stand for my opinions, if you don't see what I see or agree with me, that's not my problem, that's your problem. Should mods get stuck in because you don't agree? Very weird comment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, on the other hand, didn't bring anything to the discussion bar a laughing smiley like a child. You can do better.

I hear you, but what are you basing that around? Has he coached anyone to excel at that, what's his merit there? Or is it just because he was a good striker himself? IMO, Pep is the master there, and his work with Sterling (according to Sterling himself and all the evidence in his development) for example is a much stronger argument for Pep. I think that Rashford, with Pep, could become world-class.

Regarding Rashford in the box, Ole can just tell him, or train him, to do that? No? I think both Martial and Rashford would become world-class if they were more ruthless. They both seem to have that showboating-aura around them. Like Martial's finishing yesterday.
@Jonno said all I would want to say to refute your points that make no sense, what would be the point in me repeating them. I notice you chose not to reply to him, just carry on with your points of view regardless. Oh well, at least they’re constructive :nervous: Maybe, I suppose

crossy1686

career ending
yes this “pattern of play” is beyond a joke.

I actually heard Hoddle mention is against Watford.

it means nothing, and posters who continue to use it as a stick to beat the team with are ridiculous.
Where did it start? I bet it was on one of those muppet fan cams on Youtube. Goldbridge or whatever his name is. I don't think the people using that argument actually know what a pattern of play refers to.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Certainly.

Thanks. It's not very conducive to debate if peoples arguments are just dismissed with a green smiley constantly, even if you don't agree with what they're saying.

I take your point re the negativity surrounding Ole at times. It's tricky because on one hand it does get too much at times, but on the other, if half the club's fanbase feels that way, then the content will reflect that to varying degrees. We are trying to contain it though.

If you see posts that you think are unduly negative please do report them.

lysglimt

Scout

I remember a lot of youngsters at U23 Level gave OGS a lot of credit for teaching them how to finish, and even if Rashford and Martial probably never will be Shearer/Cole-Level goalscorers, they still generally have improved a lot in front of goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don’t think Ole is good enough either. I still haven’t forgiven him for not taking Fred off in the UCL which then resulted in Fred getting a red card and we didn’t win and got kicked out the UCL. A competent manager would have made the sub. Since then whenever I view Ole my view is tarnished by that moment. I will give Ole one thing though, I feel that his recruitment has been a lot better than the previous managers and I do believe he tries his best. Do I think he is tactically brilliant ? No. Do I think the players are playing for him? Yes I do. I hope Ole can change my mind I really do.
I assume you're holding the same grudge against Fred then because it's more his fault he was sent off than the managers

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks. It's not very conducive to debate if peoples arguments are just dismissed with a green smiley constantly, even if you don't agree with what they're saying.

I take your point re the negativity surrounding Ole at times. It's tricky because on one hand it does get too much at times, but on the other, if half the club's fanbase feels that way, then the content will reflect that to varying degrees. We are trying to contain it though.

If you see posts that you think are unduly negative please do report them.
I agree the smilies were not conducive to debate in that moment but those points have been refuted so many times, even in this thread at the time but still get put forward as reasons. it gets tiring constantly refuting them to be ignored.

I’ll probably just ignore them from now on, no harm done

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The easy and short answer, as I don't have time and energy right now to take a big discussion, is this: His style of play, he relies on individual players rather than some sort of pattern, tactics in general (still can't make a working defense, set-pieces, and basic positional play), he hasn't won anything and despite spending over 200 million pounds the excuse is still that he needs more money and players, which exemplifies my point that he relies on good individual players rather than style. Also the fact that he bought James and especially AWB, I can't see the logic behind such money for such limited players if your ambition is to be the leading team in Europe. Would Pep or Klopp but or even play AWB No way. If he can't play his best player, the team is very poor. You can even argue that we are not very good even if just Bruno is missing. Yes, we are in a good position and as I have said, he has done some good things and I know that the next manager will have an easier job. Ole has done a better job building the squad than LvG, Moyes, and Jose. But just because he has done that, doesn't say that he's the right man for United to win PL and CL. I don't think Ole will win PL or CL during his lifetime. Hope I'm wrong!
I'm sure that the irony of you saying we have no style of play and being literally top of the Premier League is entirely lost on you.

How good do you imagine MC is without De Bruyne, or Liverpool without Van Dijk?

We've kept 5 clean sheets out of the last 7 games, so the defense is getting there.

Liverpool bought Takumi Minamino, a player who isn't exactly doing a whole lot more than James, who is also 2 years younger than Minamino. Sometimes clubs take punts on players that have excelled in different leagues and hope they can take that next step.

As for AWB. You must have forgotten about Ashley Young. AWB is also still only 23 and haven't become the full package yet. Pretty sure you'll mention Trent John Alexander-Arnold. A player that Liverpool developed in their own academy. We also have a academy graduate that's doing well in Marcus Rashford.

There are many times when critiquing the clubs performance is apt, but when we're on top of the league might be as poorly timed as sending a dickpick to your best friends wife of 10 years remembering that she once winked at you in high school. (She didn't wink at you, she just had a bug in her eye, sorry.)

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I agree the smilies were not conducive to debate in that moment but those points have been refuted so many times, even in this thread at the time but still get put forward as reasons. it gets tiring constantly refuting them to be ignored.

I’ll probably just ignore them from now on, no harm done
If we win the league people will still find something to moan about. Some fans seem to take so little joy from the game it's remarkable. The ignore function is a wonderful thing.

Withnail

The difference in performance between the first and second half has to go down as credit to Ole. Goes to show that the “in game management “ he gets crucified for is about more than just substitutions.
Good point and something we've regularly done this season is come out fired up for the second half, played much quicker and with more intensity.

rotherham_red

Only the best striker in the world right now...

rotherham_red

I remember a lot of youngsters at U23 Level gave OGS a lot of credit for teaching them how to finish, and even if Rashford and Martial probably never will be Shearer/Cole-Level goalscorers, they still generally have improved a lot in front of goal.
Let's not forget Haaland at Molde too, who actually has been on the record for crediting Ole for how he has developed as a player...

Zen86

We're on a great run, but we're riding our luck a bit lately. Our attack is looking a bit flakey and we're only just scraping by in recent games. Martial and Rashford really need to pick themselves up as they've been lacklustre for some time besides the odd moment.

Valencia Shin Crosses

did we go toe to toe with city? chelsea? arsenal? spurs? Please remind me. From what i see, we're playing very similar to how we were last year but teams have sussed out our main threat is on the counter and have been less gung ho themselves, cutting down on the space and leading to the two 0-0s and arsenal could have been a 0-0 too.
Literally our last game against City we went right at them. Our attack had a shocker of a night so we lost but my point was we pressed them like mad and went about trying to control the ball against them, which is a farcry from recent years when we've basically just tried to 2016 Leicester them with long ball counters and defending deep, while our midfield/defense never committed forward.

Our performances against big sides this season have largely been crap, but our approach has been really encouraging. Last year our approach was still much more smash and grab style, and worked because we counter very effectively in general.

crossy1686

career ending
Let's not forget Haaland at Molde too, who actually has been on the record for crediting Ole for how he has developed as a player...
Story here. Quotes below.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...n-Utd-boss-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-saving-career

He recalled a difficult spell in his career in which he was struggling for confidence.

Yet Solskjaer found the right words to guide him through the rough patch and he came through the other side in fine fashion.

Haaland has since paid tribute to his former boss for believing in him during the difficult times.

“I remember it was frustrating as a young striker, everything goes against you in training," Haaland told Eurosport.

"I was alone with the keeper and the bar, got crosses from Ole Gunnar, but I missed on every opportunity. I remember Ole then said ‘I think you start this game, so just be ready.’"

In the next match against Brann, Haaland would score four times in a match he labels a "turning point" in his career.

Solskjaer was a natural goalscorer himself and spent countless hours on the training ground, helping Haaland with his finishing.

"Solskjaer and I did some practice on finishing. Not just crosses. I remember he taught me some easy rules," Haaland said.

"The first one was one-touch [finishes]. That I don’t use too much power and trying to destroy the goal or the goalie with ball. I think that I was thinking about doing that and it was something new that he told me.

"I trained a bit on that, but without scoring. But at least I had it in my head after that training session.

“He has taught me a lot to be calm, and also be on your toes and come to those situation where the ball is coming. It is then you have the chance to score. He deserves a lot of credit for teaching me that.”

Olecurls99

I don't know, but if I was looking and found the right fit, I would probably change even though it would be harsh on Ole. Plenty of top clubs have changed their manager despite winning big titles even, so it's not against the norm.
I agree with that logic. If I was Phil Thommo Thompson and having just won the Euro millions, placed the winnings on an outside in the Grand National and then those winnings on an outsider in the Cup. If I was Thommo and I had enough money to buy Manchester United so that I could sabotage them then I agree with that logic.

But for a Manchester United fan who has lived through Moyes' non starters, Louis' transfer flops and Lord Vader's deathball, who has seen Ole inherit Vader's mercenaries and slowly but surely dismantle and rebuild. Rebuild through the Perreiras and the Lingards. Rebuild through the Cardiff and PE teacher jibes, finish 3rd and then have a horror pre season and still lead the club to the top of the league. A man of the club, slowly building us back to what we were and what he knows us to be. For a Manchester United fan to want to roll the dice again now ....... it boggles the mind.

And to suggest we do it because it's what other big clubs (Real Madrid) do. Surely you're not suggesting we carry on like that mob. Come on Mickson. You're better than that.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
See my reply to @Mickson. This isn't about you or anyone else that's been on the fence or has felt Solskjaer wasn't up to the job. Debate is healthy but there are a couple of posters who've vanished now we're winning and that's because they've posted nothing but vitriol for the best part of a year. As a famous philosopher once said:
Fair enough.

I think, for now, we ALL should enjoy this current run in league. Its both unexpected and brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.