Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Always the answer... just a suggestion, how about developing the players that we have? Henderson and Fabinho as CB, are they world-class there? Shaqiri in midfield? No, I don't buy it. We can play better with the squad we have.
Regardless of whether we develop them or buy them we are lacking them at the minute.

Obviously we can play better and the players know they gave Liverpool too much respect and were disappointed to draw. They should learn from that and adapt accordingly in the future.

romufc

I don't know why some are having a go at Ole today? This is the best team he can put out today. Getting overrun in midfield is not a team selection issue. It's more on the players that happened.
Ole outers will always be in force if we do not win a game, even if its Liverpool.

They will first say.. We are miles of Liverpool, this manager is crap.

We go to Anfield, a place they haven't lost in 67 games and complain we didn't win? seriously?

Some fans need to get a grip of themselves, its fine to excuse Liverpool saying their front 3 is not in form, yet when it comes to our front 3, the blame goes on the manager not individuals?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole outers will always be in force if we do not win a game, even if its Liverpool.

We go to Anfield, a place they haven't lost in 67 games and complain we didn't win? seriously?

Some fans need to get a grip of themselves, its fine to excuse Liverpool saying their front 3 is not in form, yet when it comes to our front 3, the blame goes on the manager not individuals?
I think you need to park your civil war conspiracy theories like some sort of redneck Trump supporting Republican. It's just getting annoying now.

People like me had concerns about the line up before a ball was kicked, worried about surrendering control and preferring Pogba in the middle with no McFred, or Cavani up top over Martial. It's not to shit all over Ole, because I even said he's earned the right to experiment so we can't say much. But it's a forum where lineups are discussed and evaluated, and how the game is played is also evaluated. We tend to discuss regardless if its Ole or SAF. No one is calling him clueless or a PE teacher or anything like that, so please stop suggesting we are "out in force".

Mickson

People are giving Liverpool too much credit IMO. This isn't a fluke. They have been performing worse for a year now. They suffer badly from their thin squad, and that's maybe the discussion here.. we had better subs than them, we had better CBs.. they had Shaqiri in midfield... shouldn't we be able to compete against that? I don't know the answer. Maybe it was the right call to sit back, maybe it wasn't. However, I do know that we need to improve our passing and I know that Liverpool was there for the taking. They will lose soon enough at home.

Idxomer

I think he needs to have a word with our forwards about their decision making, nothing wrong about players expressing themselves but very often each one of them seem to be at a different wavelength and playing the game on their own.

romufc

People are giving Liverpool too much credit IMO. This isn't a fluke. They have been performing worse for a year now. They suffer badly from their thin squad, and that's maybe the discussion here.. we had better subs than them, we had better CBs.. they had Shaqiri in midfield... shouldn't we be able to compete against that? I don't know the answer. Maybe it was the right call to sit back, maybe it wasn't. However, I do know that we need to improve our passing.
I am not saying they were not there to beat. The final sentence is where our biggest problem is.

We need to get passing better, I dont know what is it with this team, we cannot pass into midfield. I honestly think that we just dont have players who show for the ball. We need to find someone in midfield who can do McFred role in one so we can have a real passer in there too.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I think he needs to have a word with our forwards about their decision making, nothing wrong about players expressing themselves but very often each one of them seem to be at a different wavelength and playing the game on their own.
I was thinking this last night too. He needs to have a word with them on making the correct decision - which undoubtedly comes with experience, but they need to make a conscious effort.
I'd say it annoys him even more than us considering he was a lethal striker.

Grande

I think there's a lot being made about my preference for Bailly and Maguire. My bigger gripe is having the defensive combination of McFred, which I think Ole does to cover the slowness at the back (Spurs example aside, where he did McFred even though Bailly played). That's why I felt if he played Bailly he might have been able to afford a pivot of Fred + Pogba instead of 2 holding players. But just to provide a counter thought to your points (and remember these are all opinions so it's not a case of right or wrong):

1. He rarely is beaten for pace against the top sides, because when a slow combination is played we tend to have a more conservative approach with two holding midfielders to provide additional cover on top. That said he was caught out yesterday itself with a great ball down the channel (think it was Mane who played it, or Mane who was on the receiving end). Gary Neville touched on it on commentary as well, saying that's where United miss Eric Bailly, as Maguire looked in trouble. We were fortunate Liverpool were really blunt in that move actually.
2. Bailly is faster than Lindelof is. I'm not suggesting we press like Liverpool, but in my honest opinion, Bailly on paper would be better suited to quicker players than Lindelof would. My main annoyance is when that Lindelof+Maguire is played with McFred. I hate seeing McFred play in big games more though, it just shouldn't happen in games we are looking to control more and win.
3. After Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Spurs this season (2 points in all those games), I'm well rehearsed with this tactic, and again do not think it was well executed yesterday. I don't think the first 45 minutes served us well at all, because we played too many players out of position to accommodate for a blunt defensive midfield duo. You play a CM on the right for the first time (ever?), a left forward as a number 9, and a player who prefers the 9 on the left - that was a lot of tinkering offensively. In fact, Ole conceded at full time that he didn't like how the game played out for the first half at all. Our best football was when Cavani was brought on, and Rashford moved back left, so there was a focal point where we can focus on our strengths more.
4. Dier isn't a speedster but he's quick enough in recoveries to make up for Vertonghen's shortcomings. And all my other examples still hold too.
5. Pressing a bit higher against Liverpool can yield better returns than containing for too long. I don't think it was in the script to play "hanging on football" for the first 30 minutes of the game, where they dominate most of the ball and try to whip balls in, have Firminho take a few good opportunities only to scuff them, etc. Ole even said he wasn't pleased with it. We actually started pressing more and a bit higher (w/Cavani) . Aston Villa showed how you can press adequately and find gaps, Southampton did a good job on their press too.
6 . Honestly he's a beast, you can use the physical argument on anything, i.e. to put him on Trent on the left, or Thiago on the middle, or Robertson on the left. But my issue with the approach was we spent too much focusing on the team rather than focusing on ourselves. McFred to break up their play, Pogba to jump on Robertson, and then on top you have Rashford in a less comfortable position. It felt like we gave them too much respect, and only when we decided to look at ourselves did we start playing.
7. I agree with them being better long passers, but you've massively overcooked the latter part of your point. I'm not saying press the shit out of them and go ultra attack, but make one thing clear - this is not the same Liverpool side that won the league and looked formidable. Everyone and their dog knows that, and I feel we could have played the team rather than played the reputation (as Neville had put).

All in all, Ole had every right to play the team he did because 1) he got us top in the first place so his goodwill is massive even with people who doubted him, like myself and 2) he didn't lose so he's vindicated on hindsight. But I am speaking solely from a performance perspective - I felt the starting lineup was reactive, was lending too much in trying to contain what is a very beatable team, and was inbalanced with too many offensive players out of position. And it showed in the game yesterday UNTIL Cavani came on, and Rashford reverted left.
I’m not at all adverse to Bailly with Maguire, and think McFred in some scenarios offer too little in the way of fast passing in tight spaces. However, if your argument is that Liverpool away was not a game for Lindelöf/Maguire and Fred/McTominay, I think you are just very unrealistic.

Your idea that ’Liverpool was there for the taking’ seems to imply that they are not one of the best teams in the PL this year, that they are not one of the best teams in all Europe this season in creating chances and denying chances, that their whole play has imploded since last season. That is just incorrect. However, they have been less clinical with their chances, their dangers on the cross is a bit lower due to TAA, and they are a bit more cautious in throwing people forward due to VVD. All arguments for setting up exactly the way we did.

You also seem to imply that we didn’t take the game to them, whereas we made the biggest chances in the game and had numerous opportunities where margins would have allowed us yet more big chances.

Realistically, that is a very well executed performance, tactically and by the players. If your argument is that if we set out the way you would suggest, we’d be huge favorites to win, seems like you are underestimating Klopp as a manager and Liverpool as a team, and equally overestimating us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you sure about that? I have seen alot of posts this season calling him Clueless and PE teacher, not just on the CAF either.
Find me posts that did this after or just before Liverpool.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m not at all adverse to Bailly with Maguire, and think McFred in some scenarios offer too little in the way of fast passing in tight spaces. However, if your argument is that Liverpool away was not a game for Lindelöf/Maguire and Fred/McTominay, I think you are just very unrealistic.

Your idea that ’Liverpool was there for the taking’ seems to imply that they are not one of the best teams in the PL this year, that they are not one of the best teams in all Europe this season in creating chances and denying chances, that their whole play has imploded since last season. That is just incorrect. However, they have been less clinical with their chances, their dangers on the cross is a bit lower due to TAA, and they are a bit more cautious in throwing people forward due to VVD. All arguments for setting up exactly the way we did.

You also seem to imply that we didn’t take the game to them, whereas we made the biggest chances in the game and had numerous opportunities where margins would have allowed us yet more big chances.

Realistically, that is a very well executed performance, tactically and by the players. If your argument is that if we set out the way you would suggest, we’d be huge favorites to win, seems like you are underestimating Klopp as a manager and Liverpool as a team, and equally overestimating us.
I think we can agree on Maguire/Lindelof being a much of a muchness between Maguire/Bailly going by the combination's performances in the past 4-5 games. But going to the Liverpool point, we are playing a side that failed to put away West Brom, Newcastle, were VERY lucky to draw to Fulham (last minute hand ball and they had a stone cold pen avoided) and lost to Southampton. They are a side that have performances dropping off a cliff-edge, playing Henderson in CB and zero chemistry in the front 3. The side look offensively space-jammed for about 1.5 months now. I'm most certainly not underrating Liverpool.

I think that sort of a team is certainly there for the taking. Creating the biggest chances is good but I think more could have been done by way of knocking on their door. We created 2 great moments where it clicked with those chances. But had we played players in the right position offensively we may well have been far more comfortable in the game. I don't think it's astute to play 3 offensive players out of position + McFred on top when playing a team that's as poor in their prolonged form as Liverpool. Even whilst crediting their Anfield record, that side is 100% there for the taking. The minute Cavani came on and Rashford adjusted, we looked like we would have probably gone on to win. I think those tweaks are ones we should have started with, or, Pogba centrally with Fred could have been a better suiting approach.

This is something I said before a ball was kicked, so it's just a consistent viewpoint of mine. And thats normal, no one is going to agree with every line up from every manager. It's just here to be discussed.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He got nearly everything perfect. Draw at Anfield is always great result. Liverpool didn't have any clear chances and we could have even won.

My only slight criticsm is that he is too cautios in these games. Donny or Matic instead McT would give us more in attacking part and more possession and creativity. If we want to keep title challenge alive we will need to win some big games.

romufc

Find me posts that did this after or just before Liverpool.
No Cavani when Liverpool miss their CBs is amateurish stuff.

Also Lindelöf over Bailly is another stupid decision. But Ole doesn't know shit about rating CBs so I'm not surprised.
Ole is just paralyzed with fear in these types of games. Really hard to watch us play like this
He was cowardly today. Liverpool had a lot of missing players. We should have gone all out for the win. I cant understand his attitude today. First not playing Bailly and being so defensive against a weekened Liverpool

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
@romufc Ha, well the forum has idiots. I think you do need to park your civil war thoughts though. It's not exactly a credit to those who are trying to provide a balanced view and might disagree with the line up.

Jonno

@romufc

It's beyond laughable isn't it. I feel there's a real hatred lying underneath with a section of our fanbase and I don't know why.

It is baffling. Imagine being an internet poster and genuinely believing a manager is clueless based on working with and coaching every single player on a daily basis for years & then making informed decisions based on that daily exposure to each player.

Lindelof was brilliant, Cavani clearly was always coming on with over 30 mins to go, which largely worked, Ole had us set up very well and we were unlucky to not win the game.

romufc

@romufc Ha, well the forum has idiots. I think you do need to park your civil war thoughts though. It's not exactly a credit to those who are trying to provide a balanced view and might disagree with the line up.
Okay, maybe not the Ole outers but some section of the fans calling Ole out / names when we draw 0-0 to Liverpool.

The same fans, who would have agreed 3 months ago that Liverpool are miles ahead of us need to learn perspective.

We are top of the league but we are not the best in the league, we are not the finished article, what we have seen is progress.

Last time out in a crucial game we were 3-0 in 20 minutes. Going to Liverpool even with their 2 CB's out was not going to be easy. Fabinho would get in alot of PL teams as a CB.

Zen86

Okay, maybe not the Ole outers but some section of the fans calling Ole out / names when we draw 0-0 to Liverpool.

The same fans, who would have agreed 3 months ago that Liverpool are miles ahead of us need to learn perspective.

We are top of the league but we are not the best in the league, we are not the finished article, what we have seen is progress.

Last time out in a crucial game we were 3-0 in 20 minutes. Going to Liverpool even with their 2 CB's out was not going to be easy. Fabinho would get in alot of PL teams as a CB.
That’s why the Ignore button is your best friend

Mainoldo

Don’t you get bored of recycling agenda’s?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think the proof of progress lies in how other managers are approaching games against United now. Both Pep and Klopp, two of the more notoriously attacking managers have set up pragmatically, the league fixtures have been draws and neither manager seemed to think it was a bad result and they seem to respect United attacking prowess, especially on the counters to commit too many players forward. City beat us in the cup game owing to two set piece mistakes but on the balance of play, United have barely looked out of place against either side and should have come out thinking they dropped 4 points there.

romufc

@romufc

It's beyond laughable isn't it. I feel there's a real hatred lying underneath with a section of our fanbase and I don't know why.

It is baffling. Imagine being an internet poster and genuinely believing a manager is clueless based on working with and coaching every single player on a daily basis for years & then making informed decisions based on that daily exposure to each player.

Lindelof was brilliant, Cavani clearly was always coming on with over 30 mins to go, which largely worked, Ole had us set up very well and we were unlucky to not win the game.
Agreed, there is a real hatred with Ole as a manager and I do not get it. Why?

There is a United fan with youtube channel Rants who has said, he rather die than support Ole. That is the state of some fans.

Bailly has been playing well but Lindelof hasn't done anything that wrong to drop him? he played well yesterday, Pogba done a job on the right, where Rashford struggles to track back.

4 weeks ago, we would have played James instead of Pogba on the right, it shows how much more trust is building with certain players.

Finally, I keep seing this thing about VDB, saying he should have been brought on, it was the game for him, what is the proof for that? When Fred and McTominay have been good in big games for us this season.

Withnail

Agreed, there is a real hatred with Ole as a manager and I do not get it. Why?

There is a United fan with youtube channel Rants who has said, he rather die than support Ole. That is the state of some fans.

Bailly has been playing well but Lindelof hasn't done anything that wrong to drop him? he played well yesterday, Pogba done a job on the right, where Rashford struggles to track back.

4 weeks ago, we would have played James instead of Pogba on the right, it shows how much more trust is building with certain players.

Finally, I keep seing this thing about VDB, saying he should have been brought on, it was the game for him, what is the proof for that? When Fred and McTominay have been good in big games for us this season.
I refuse to believe that he is really a United fan. He has the absolute worst takes.

Jermaine Defoe would have outscored Rooney if he played for United was a good one :lol:

SeanyC

How do you think Guardiola, Kloop, Mourinho all started out, worked there way up? Ole doing the exact same and to be honest he will been seen as a pretty decent manager when he leaves united and goes somewhere else, if given time to implement what he wants and with the backing. I think he’s done pretty damn good so far, just people are fickle, anti-Ole from the start and want to see an established manager at united, but in theory and in practice that has already failed us.

cyberman

I think the proof of progress lies in how other managers are approaching games against United now. Both Pep and Klopp, two of the more notoriously attacking managers have set up pragmatically, the league fixtures have been draws and neither manager seemed to think it was a bad result and they seem to respect United attacking prowess, especially on the counters to commit too many players forward. City beat us in the cup game owing to two set piece mistakes but on the balance of play, United have barely looked out of place against either side and should have come out thinking they dropped 4 points there.
City come to OT, shit game and its our fault.
I dont agree but fair enough.
We go to Anfield, have the best chances but 0-0 is still our fault? The away side?
Its that logic fail that annoys me.
If we draw away to Chelsea and City we will win this league. The fact we are top right now proves that imo. City are second and have 0 wins v the current top 6.
Our fanbase has this bad habit of always searching for over arching narratives that puts them on edge for no reason.
Maybe we should put pre match prediction scores on post match commentators profiles to compare and contrast because the pre match thread was not as "we should win this, lets attack" as its made out now.

saivet

I think we could have been more adventurous yesterday but ultimately I think he set the team up fine as we still created the best chances of the game.

Mainoldo

So me saying we need to stop hating on the manager after a draw is an agenda?
You brought up Ole Outers. It’s sparking agenda’s. We should be able to criticise decisions respectfully and keep it moving. We are in a good position and should be backing the team but if we don’t want to have discussions maybe we should just not come on here.

I don’t think people are unhappy when they criticise and if they are maybe they should just access their life.. It’s football.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Each Managers 3 longest unbeaten runs in the league have been as follows:
Manage​
Games Unbeaten​
Start​
End​
Win Rate​
Points​
Moyes​
7​
05.10.2013​
01.12.2013​
57%​
15​
Moyes​
4​
15.12.2013​
28.12.2013​
100%​
12​
Moyes​
4​
09.02.2014​
08.03.2014​
50%​
6​
LVG​
10​
08.11.2014​
01.01.2015​
70%​
24​
LVG​
6*​
28.02.2015​
12.04.2015​
100%​
18​
LVG​
7​
17.10.2015​
05.12.2015​
43%​
13​
Jose​
25​
29.10.2016​
30.04.2017​
52%​
51​
Jose​
10​
17.05.2017​
14.10.2017​
70%​
24​
Jose​
8​
13.12.2017​
20.01.2018​
63%​
18​
Ole​
12​
22.12.2018​
02.03.2019​
83%​
32​
Ole​
14​
01.02.2020​
26.07.2020​
64%​
32​
Ole​
12​
07.11.2020​
Ongoing​
75%​
30​

*LVG had two 6 game runs, I picked the better one of the two.

Ole has the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest runs in the table. Very promising that he can get us on runs of good form and still with a decent win rate percentage too.

Last edited:

Grande

I think we can agree on Maguire/Lindelof being a much of a muchness between Maguire/Bailly going by the combination's performances in the past 4-5 games. But going to the Liverpool point, we are playing a side that failed to put away West Brom, Newcastle, were VERY lucky to draw to Fulham (last minute hand ball and they had a stone cold pen avoided) and lost to Southampton. They are a side that have performances dropping off a cliff-edge, playing Henderson in CB and zero chemistry in the front 3. The side look offensively space-jammed for about 1.5 months now. I'm most certainly not underrating Liverpool.

I think that sort of a team is certainly there for the taking. Creating the biggest chances is good but I think more could have been done by way of knocking on their door. We created 2 great moments where it clicked with those chances. But had we played players in the right position offensively we may well have been far more comfortable in the game. I don't think it's astute to play 3 offensive players out of position + McFred on top when playing a team that's as poor in their prolonged form as Liverpool. Even whilst crediting their Anfield record, that side is 100% there for the taking. The minute Cavani came on and Rashford adjusted, we looked like we would have probably gone on to win. I think those tweaks are ones we should have started with, or, Pogba centrally with Fred could have been a better suiting approach.

This is something I said before a ball was kicked, so it's just a consistent viewpoint of mine. And thats normal, no one is going to agree with every line up from every manager. It's just here to be discussed.
Certainly discussion is ok. However, it seems to me still by your arguments you underestimate Liverpool. They are not false, but you fail to balance it out by mentioning that around the Fulham game, they beat Wolves, Spurs and Palace 4-0, 2-1 and 7-0. Part of the picture of the games vs West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton was also that Liverpool created more chances, opportunities and xG every time. Not as much as their best, but at least as much as their medium form patches these last seasons where they’ve won most of the games.
I agree Liverpool have been better, but to lay it out as if we should expect to beat them at their game on their turf is contrary to evidence.

On evidence, tactically we played much more of our own game now than we did against Liverpool a year ago, so Solskjær to an extent agrees with you I think. I just think you are pulling it too far and expect too much too fast.

croadyman

City come to OT, shit game and its our fault.
I dont agree but fair enough.
We go to Anfield, have the best chances but 0-0 is still our fault? The away side?
Its that logic fail that annoys me.
If we draw away to Chelsea and City we will win this league. The fact we are top right now proves that imo. City are second and have 0 wins v the current top 6.
Our fanbase has this bad habit of always searching for over arching narratives that puts them on edge for no reason.
Maybe we should put pre match prediction scores on post match commentators profiles to compare and contrast because the pre match thread was not as "we should win this, lets attack" as its made out now.
Yeah certainly haven't heard it mentioned much that City also haven't won a game against the current top 6 this season, will admit they were impressive in that performance against Chelsea but still feel that despite bad form they can be tested in their remaining big six games like we will be too.

Mainoldo

Yeah certainly haven't heard it mentioned much that City also haven't won a game against the current top 6 this season, will admit they were impressive in that performance against Chelsea but still feel that despite bad form they can be tested in their remaining big six games like we will be too.
Who are the current top 6. Did they notbeat up Chelsea the other day and I’m sure they have bet Arsenal. Current top 6 we’ve won too.. we’ve beat Everton.

croadyman

Who are the current top 6. Did they notbeat up Chelsea the other day and I’m sure they have bet Arsenal. Current top 6 we’ve won too.. we’ve beat Everton.
Chelsea are just outside of top six at the moment but yeah actually that should still be considered one of those fixtures

R'hllor

This has nothing to do with Ole but holy shit what a bunch of lunatics some are. It reminds me when we had a go at performance vs Liverpool away 0:0 under JM. Its almost as copy paste, back then, we said coward performance, JM cult comes with, you bunch of moaning fecks, not happy with a draw at Anfild.

Do people read, majority said its good/very good/great RESULT but performance...etc. Empty stadium, their CBs and so on, did people honestly watched it last night and thought, yea good shit this. There were periods where we couldnt string 2 passes togheter, fecking hell serisously

cyberman

The top 6 in the league? Its how we define the best 6 teams in the country!

croadyman

This has nothing to do with Ole but holy shit what a bunch of lunatics some are. It reminds me when we had a go at performance vs Liverpool away 0:0 under JM. Its almost as copy paste, back then, we said coward performance, JM cult comes with, you bunch of moaning fecks, not happy with a draw at Anfild.

Do people read, majority said its good/very good/great RESULT but performance...etc. Empty stadium, their CBs and so on, did people honestly watched it last night and thought, yea good shit this. There were periods where we couldnt string 2 passes togheter, fecking hell serisously
My honest opinion is yes we had two slick moves and certainly should have made something of one of them on current form but we certainly didn't dominate the second half by any means so frustrating as it was a draw was a fair result

Thepinhead

Each Managers 3 longest unbeaten runs in the league have been as follows:

ManageGames UnbeatenStartEndWin Rate
Moyes705.10.201301.12.201357%
Moyes415.12.201328.12.2013100%
Moyes409.02.201408.03.201450%
LVG1008.11.201401.01.201570%
LVG6*28.02.201512.04.2015100%
LVG717.10.201505.12.201543%
Jose2529.10.201630.04.201752%
Jose1017.05.201714.10.201770%
Jose813.12.201720.01.201863%
Ole1222.12.201802.03.201983%
Ole1401.02.202026.07.202064%
Ole1207.11.2020Ongoing75%

*LVG had two 6 game runs, I picked the better one of the two.

Ole has the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest runs in the table. Very promising that he can get us on runs of good form and still with a decent win rate percentage too.
What would be interesting to add is points as well. 25 games unbeaten run isn't really that impressive when you draw half of them.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Huge difference between then and now.

1. Pool's attack, while having the same players, wasn't really world class then. They were fantastic, make no mistake, but I dont think that attack was deserving of as much respect
2. We didn't attack in Mou's game. IIRC, there was 1 attack in around the 40th min mark - the Lukaku shot and that was that. In our case, the 2 best chances of the game fell to us. Add to that Bruno's freekick was the closest any team came to scoring without hitting the target
3. Dave was the man of the match in that 0-0. Yesterday, he was largely untroubled and just hade to make a couple of standard stops.
4. If anything, the game's Motm was arguably Alisson, which tells you all you need to know.

A draw away at Anfield, especially against this Pool side is a good result and needs to be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.