Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherWolff

This vid provides an insight into the attacking style of Solskjaer from his days managing Molde. And when Solskjaer talks about wanting to play a high line and expecting his fullbacks to attack, it's very easy to see why if you see the style/system he favours and successfully implemented at Molde from watching this vid.
Some us knew this all through his tenure. We did the research. Having this knowledge makes it so much easier analytical watching games. We see where we are, and know where we want to be. Then you see all the mistakes made by players, and then see the progression through signing and development. We are still a few signings of the pace. But are getting there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Some us knew this all through his tenure. We did the research. Having this knowledge makes it so much easier analytical watching games. We see where we are, and know where we want to be. Then you see all the mistakes made by players, and then see the progression through signing and development. We are still a few signings of the pace. But are getting there.
Which positions do you think he needs to reinforce to give him the option to play his favoured high line, high pressure football? It's reported that he wants a CB that is physically strong, commanding and can single handedly deal with counter attacks, which makes sense if he is successful in playing a high line.

FatherWolff

Which positions do you think he needs to reinforce to give him the option to play his favoured high line, high pressure football? It's reported that he wants a CB that is physically strong, commanding and can single handedly deal with counter attacks, which makes sense if he is successful in playing a high line.
He either need to keep Bailey fit, or a new center back. He needs a new right back pushing Aaron. He needs a high energy cdm, with technical ability . He needs a right winger or inside forward with passing or technical ability. And he needs a striker. Once we got that, there is no excuse IMO. We should be one of the best squads in the world.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He either need to keep Bailey fit, or a new center back. He needs a new right back pushing Aaron. He needs a high energy cdm, with technical ability . He needs a right winger or inside forward with passing or technical ability. And he needs a striker. Once we got that, there is no excuse IMO. We should be one of the best squads in the world.
I doubt we get all those but if he (Ole) does then I feel we might even win the Champions League.

Polar

Absolutely agree.

A new CDM, RW and striker is possible in on swap (summer window), but then one of our >40m players have to be sold.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Some of his signings don't correlate with his style at Molde though. A high RWB that provides width in attack and he signs AWB? A high line and we spend £90m on Maguire?

In my opinion we have one of, if not the best squads in the league now. A super expensive defense, two great GKs, stacked in midfield with players that many top teams wanted and loads of options in attack. There's no team in the current season that we shouldn't be keeping pace with. City and Liverpool of last year are not there now, our squad can keep pace with both.

Strelok

Some of his signings don't correlate with his style at Molde though. A high RWB that provides width in attack and he signs AWB? A high line and we spend £90m on Maguire?

In my opinion we have one of, if not the best squads in the league now. A super expensive defense, two great GKs, stacked in midfield with players that many top teams wanted and loads of options in attack. There's no team in the current season that we shouldn't be keeping pace with. City and Liverpool of last year are not there now, our squad can keep pace with both.
No we aren't. I'd say third or fourth. That's because Liverpool lost all their starting CBs.

Aresma7

You brought up Ole Outers. It’s sparking agenda’s. We should be able to criticise decisions respectfully and keep it moving. We are in a good position and should be backing the team but if we don’t want to have discussions maybe we should just not come on here.

I don’t think people are unhappy when they criticise and if they are maybe they should just access their life.. It’s football.
Who are you trying to fool?

'' Welcome to the club! We’ll look after you. You’ll get a lot of your deluded comments and made to feel like a fake fan. But the truth is the truth. This guy hasn’t got it. Even with the best team in the league we’d finish comfortably nowhere near top.''

'' Oleball = Joseball.''

'' Thank god it was Lampard he’s the only man that makes Ole’s job look good. I hope when they finally do get rid of Lamps. Ole is available and they go for him.''

FatherWolff

We live in two different worlds, you and I. Molde? Molde is a selling club, and difficult to maintain a squad. Once he had it, he played it. His results in Europe proves it.

Maguire is perfect for a high line! Is is good on the ball and will win 99% of any head duell. He needs a compadre covering runs behind though. You can bitch all you like about his price. But centerbacks is expensive these days..

Leave our Aaron alone! He is young and unfinished article. But has talent as few right backs do. We are not even close being one of the best squads. We are even unbalanced looking at mid tables clubs. You need to read more and play more fifa!

Mainoldo

Who are you trying to fool?

'' Welcome to the club! We’ll look after you. You’ll get a lot of your deluded comments and made to feel like a fake fan. But the truth is the truth. This guy hasn’t got it. Even with the best team in the league we’d finish comfortably nowhere near top.''

'' Oleball = Joseball.''

'' Thank god it was Lampard he’s the only man that makes Ole’s job look good. I hope when they finally do get rid of Lamps. Ole is available and they go for him.''
If you ever knew how unbothered I was :lol:

Provide me with more tomorrow.. I’m sure I had some better ones than that.

The Oleball = Joseball is a good one.

Anyway we are top of the league. Stop being a hater.

pocco

loco
No we aren't. I'd say third or fourth. That's because Liverpool lost all their starting CBs.
Nah. Behind who, exactly?

Liverpool have a faltering attack.

Only Thiago is worth mentioning in midfield.

Good defence with lack of depth.

You think they're all great players but Klopp made a lot of them look great. Just as he did at Dortmund. On paper we have a stronger squad and this season our starting 11 is as good. Do they have the likes of Pogba, Telles, Cavani, Greenwood, VdB sat on their bench most weeks? Is there any other team in world football with those options on the bench right now?

pocco

loco
We live in two different worlds, you and I. Molde? Molde is a selling club, and difficult to maintain a squad. Once he had it, he played it. His results in Europe proves it.

Maguire is perfect for a high line! Is is good on the ball and will win 99% of any head duell. He needs a compadre covering runs behind though. You can bitch all you like about his price. But centerbacks is expensive these days..

Leave our Aaron alone! He is young and unfinished article. But has talent as few right backs do. We are not even close being one of the best squads. We are even unbalanced looking at mid tables clubs. You need to read more and play more fifa!
Top of the league but comparable to mid table teams? Pull your head out of your arse. Ole must be the second coming of Jesus.

FatherWolff

Top of the league but comparable to mid table teams? Pull your head out of your arse. Ole must be the second coming of Jesus.
Try pulling your own. We have holes in our squad bigger than most teams down the table. Most of us know this, and know what we need. Guess you are not one of them. We are a couple of injuries short, and we are back playing Lingard as our number 10. And we have no cover at right back. If you think Matic can cover the same ground as Fred, I don’t know know what to tell you..

Strelok

Nah. Behind who, exactly?

Liverpool have a faltering attack.

Only Thiago is worth mentioning in midfield.

Good defence with lack of depth.

You think they're all great players but Klopp made a lot of them look great. Just as he did at Dortmund. On paper we have a stronger squad and this season our starting 11 is as good. Do they have the likes of Pogba, Telles, Cavani, Greenwood, VdB sat on their bench most weeks? Is there any other team in world football with those options on the bench right now?
You're talking about form. Which is quite temporary. It's true their forwards are having a difficult time atm but they have one of the best attack line in the world. Mane and Salah are class for years.

Their defence have VVD, Matip, Gomes. We have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly. We're better at LB depth because of Telles but that's it. And they have Milner, who can play basically any position bar CB. Then both have a couple of young kids, which I'd rate pretty much likewise. Liverpool have much better depth than many think they do.

And only Thiago is worth mentioning in midfield ???

It's a bit off topic so if you want to continue, we should move here I think. Or create a new thread because you seem to think we have a better squad than Liverpool?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-squad-against-spurs-and-city.459080/

Tapori

nailed

Alemar

I'm hopeful we can acquire a truly top winger to go with Rashford and Cavani so we can play the 433 that Ole seems to want to play.
wouldn’t it be better to at least see Diallo for a couple of times first? Maybe we have already acquired such a winger ...

Alemar

Very good summary, although if Diallo proves to be a real deal, maybe we can abstain from buying another RF/RW

Raven

I so love Ole and that he's one of our own making good at the club. I like his style and think the media are always just looking to pick at us to try to criticize when there's nothing there to be critical of... That said I do have one criticism and I'm hopeful he's slowly going to get this right as well. I can't see his insistence on including Martial so often. It's not just his scoring form, he can't hold up the ball thus can't plan as a target man up top, he can't make more than a 5 foot pass, has no vision. I've grown so overwhelmingly disappointed with him that when I watch him play, I begin counting his turnovers (often easily in double digits) instead of enjoying the game. He's such an interruption to how we play and what we actually need is #7 ALWAYS up top. Cavani is THE solution and makes us truly a lethal side with his movement, his finishing and his unselfishness. Cavani works his brains out for us every second and think he should play every second he's able. I'm hopeful we can acquire a truly top winger to go with Rashford and Cavani so we can play the 433 that Ole seems to want to play. I'd prefer that formation for us as well but have been excited lately to see the diamond in the midfield because that allows us to get our actual best players on the field as we have solid midfielders at this moment with Donny not even getting a real run of games and I rate him so highly. Having Fred, McTom, Pog and Bruno in the lineup is so solid in the midfield so I'm currently willing to concede the width and pace of a proper 433 for the quality of our 442.

I've seen enough of Martial's crap and I'm hoping Ole will fade him to the background as this season progresses but there are NO signs of that.
Ole's doing a fantastic job, agreed. But given that he plays Martial so much, would that not suggest he thinks he adds something to the team? To me it does and to me it's clear what he brings, even when out of goal scoring form.

Matriac

Ole's doing a fantastic job, agreed. But given that he plays Martial so much, would that not suggest he thinks he adds something to the team? To me it does and to me it's clear what he brings, even when out of goal scoring form.
Not only that (because I absolutely wanted him to start over Cavani against pool last weekend, without expecting him to score, just to do some magic with rashford to tire out the defense and then move over for Cavani in the second), but Martial was Player of the Season for me last season (Bruno was only there for half a season, he did well but Martial still got it from me), he shouldn't lose that ability in just some months.

How is he gonna get out of his goal scoring rut if he just sits on the bench? Now he's lost his guaranteed starter spot, he knows he has to work for it against Edi, but he's gotta be on the field to have a chance to score and get back to his form of last year. It's not like Greenwood has been tearing it up either, and people keep yelling for him to be put on as a "gamechanger".

UnitedAkhi

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lack-of-philosophy-an-advantage-chaotic-times

Interesting take on managers having a 'philosophy' and Oles perceived lack of one.
Those managers with a rigid philosophy may not have the longevity, eg Bielsa. Even Pep has shown he adapts. SAF is unrivalled in his ability to sustain success and build new teams and this makes him the GOAT.
Ole is bettering the club from the bottom up and hopefully we will continue to see the fruits of this.

Paul_Scholes18

This is what we want to see. Very good performance in attack in a big game.
I think he was late to bring on Fred, Martial and Bruno, but he made the right subs at least at some point.

Keep this up and we may win something this season. It is the big games that have been our problem.
Against the weaker side we are doing the job well.

kidbob

The guy is undoubtedly the best manager we have had since Fergie. What makes it even better is that he loves this club and we all love him.

el3mel

First half was by far our best performance in a big domestic game for about a year.

I really don't think Ole has done any noticeable mistakes since the CL exit. His management of the team for the last month has been absolutely top notch.

Get in, Ole. Long may it continue.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First win over Klopp, beaten them all now has the PE teacher :keano:

Drainy

Everything was going against him this season with the virus impacting us more than other clubs and a lack of preparation and signings he wanted.

It was exactly like the season where Jose got sacked after pre-season was disrupted because of the World Cup.

Amazing what not being a total cnut can do.

Foxbatt

Great job. He seems to have turned the corner and has a better understanding of what is required. It may be understable as this is his first big gig and like anyone could take a bit of time settling down. He has now got the spine of the team right but hopefully would get some money to get more better players. I still think we need a few players to fight it out against the very top clubs.
I am so happy to be wrong in my assessment. A playing legend hopefully to be a managerial legend too.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Where is the "Guess where we would have been had we had a competent manager?" group now?

Paul_Scholes18

We have a great chance to win 3 titles this season and I think if we win one then it is a good season. It will be fighting with City, Leicester, Spurs in most of them I think.

If someone can beat City or we take the revenge then I can see a cup final against Mourinho in the Fa cup. That would be massive or a final vs City.

RUCK4444

Brilliant Ole. Tactics spot on again, exploited their weaknesses and every player on the pitch looking better and better.

Never doubted you mate, keep it up Ole :devil:

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Anyone else feel like he’s a totally different bloke now than when he took over? He lost the starry-eyed “I’m so lucky to be here” demeanour and now feels much more of a presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.