United squad against Spurs and City

Strelok

According to @VP89 United currently have a better squad than Spurs and on a similar level with City. Your thought?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think City's is better, they have better full-backs but I would take Bruno > KDB and don't think theres much between Rashford/Martial/Greenwood v Sterling/Mahrez/Jesus.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Overall we have a better squad than Spurs but it's not a big gap in quality. Definitely not City
Yeh, pretty much. I also said out of City, Chelsea and Liverpool we would be "closest to parity" with City. Chelsea have a lot more quality in depth now, and Liverpool is Liverpool I guess.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Their midfield, defence ,Forward is better than us. Don't even know how this is an argument.

Bruno gives better numbers but KDB is on a whole different level.

Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez is better than ours and Laporte is better than Maguire.

RedDevil@84

In terms of overall talent, I think we and Spurs, both are way too dependent on brilliance from individual players. If they work well, then its good. Else it all looks so ineffective.
Spurs, at the moment are making things work because Jose. The season is long. Too early to predict how it will go.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yeh, pretty much. I also said out of City, Chelsea and Liverpool we would be "closest to parity" with City. Chelsea have a lot more quality in depth now, and Liverpool is Liverpool I guess.
I never gave it much thought and still don't want to think about it but Chelsea may arguably have the stronger team than City

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I never gave it much thought and still don't want to think about it but Chelsea may arguably have the stronger team than City
Aye, have to caveat my thoughts in the OP are based on squad talent at disposal for each coach to work with rather than how rampant a player might be in form. So Son is red hot but I think there isn't much between him and Rashford in talent. KDB is off the boil but I don't think there's much between him and Bruno in talent, etc (in fact KDB is more talented).

Anyway, the crux of this thread is to understand independent of whose coaching, do we have a good talent pool to work with relative to our rivals. I'd argue yes we are on par with most clubs, not that far off City and probably further away from Liverpool + Chelsea.

Siorac

I think City's is better, they have better full-backs but I would take Bruno > KDB and don't think theres much between Rashford/Martial/Greenwood v Sterling/Mahrez/Jesus.
That's insane though. We do have a better squad than Spurs but we have no one who is anywhere near De Bruyne. At least to what he produced over the last 3-4 seasons. I don't really know how he's doing this season. The same goes for Sterling.

Greenwood is probably a bigger talent than Jesus though.

NinjaFletch

Kane and Son are the best two players on either side, Fernandes would start for them, and the rest of the two sides are much of a muchness.

I doubt you'd find many Spurs fans up for swapping squads for how 'obviously' superior ours apparently is.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We have a better squad than Spurs, they have a very good squad but peak Kane and Son in the form of their lives really do elevate it tremendously. City's is better than ours, the gap is closing though. I think we have a really good squad, we're just not getting the best out of it.

James Peril

I actually have to wash my eyes with soap after reading that sentence. Bruno is better than KDB? I give up, I don’t have a chance. People have went to prison for life for saying less absurd things than that.

Strelok

Imo.

Kane >> Martial or Cavani

Son > Rashford

Bergwijn/ Moura/ Lamela >>> Mata/James/ Greenwood

Ndombele < Bruno

The rest I'd say more or less the same.

So we're not much weaker in CF and LW, stronger in CAM but much much weaker in RW. I've no idea how we can have a better squad than Spurs.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Imo.

Kane >> Martial or Cavani

Son > Rashford

Bergwijn/ Moura/ Lamela >>> Mata/James/ Greenwood

Ndombele < Bruno

The rest I'd say more or less the same.

So we're not much weaker in CF and LW, stronger in CAM but much much weaker in RW. I've no idea how we can have a better squad than Spurs.
Bale too at RW.

OleBoiii

City's level has dropped a bit, but they're still clearly a better team on paper. I'd say the margin should around 10 points. If we outplace them it's either because we overachieved or because they underachieved.

Tottenham and us are pretty much the same level. We have better midfielders, they have a better attackers. In defense there's not much between us. Their starting XI may be more balanced, though. While our midfielders are better, we're still struggling to fit them all together. If we could switch Pogba with an equally talented DM, then I'd put us slightly ahead of Tottenham.

Statue of Limitations

There is a lot of merit to compare our squad to the other top teams, we stack up to most in most areas, maybe Pool defence is ahead of the rest when all fit but otherwise I feel most departments are close enough.

I will say though, despite Bruno quickly becoming my favourite player now (sorry Rashford) he isn't better than KdB, who I think is the best player in the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's insane though. We do have a better squad than Spurs but we have no one who is anywhere near De Bruyne. At least to what he produced over the last 3-4 seasons. I don't really know how he's doing this season. The same goes for Sterling.

Greenwood is probably a bigger talent than Jesus though.
I actually have to wash my eyes with soap after reading that sentence. Bruno is better than KDB? I give up, I don’t have a chance. People have went to prison for life for saying less absurd things than that.
I suggest you fully evaluate my posts. I said I would take Bruno > KDB right now, but I have stated above that KDB is a better player.

I don't actually think there is that much between them by way of their impact on games.

Strelok

City's level has dropped a bit, but they're still clearly a better team on paper. I'd say the margin should around 10 points. If we outplace them it's either because we overachieved or because they underachieved.

Tottenham and us are pretty much the same level. We have better midfielders, they have a better attackers. In defense there's not much between us. Their starting XI may be more balanced, though. While our midfielders are better, we're still struggling to fit them all together. If we could switch Pogba with an equally talented DM, then I'd put us slightly ahead of Tottenham.
Tbh I don't watch Spurs much recently. Fred, McT, Matic and VDB are better than Sissoko, Wink, Lo Celso, Hojbejrg?

We should forget about Pogba I think.

OleBoiii

Tbh I don't watch Spurs much recently. Fred, McT, Matic and VDB are better than Sissoko, Wink, Lo Celso, Hojbejrg?
When I say "we have better midfielders" I also count Bruno as a midfielder. He's essentially what separates Spurs' midfield from ours. Remove him, and there's no question that Spurs has a better team. But that would be unfair. We might as well take Kane out of Spurs then :p

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When I say "we have better midfielders" I also count Bruno as a midfielder. He's essentially what separates Spurs' midfield from ours. Remove him, and there's no question that Spurs has a better team. But that would be unfair. We might as well take Kane out of Spurs then :p
Not sure about that in my opinion. I don't think there's much between Rashford and Son. Rashford hit what, 17 goals in the league last season versus Son's 11. He took some pens before Bruno came in so lets call it even just for the sake of debate.

I'm not saying Rashford > Son, but right now there is a recency bias in that Spurs are absolutely bouncing. Had we compared the attack of ours v theirs when we were rampant after lockdown, the mood would be very different. That's why I want to focus on the talent at disposal, and I think Ole has a truck load of talent to choose from now, especially when he's been given Cavani and VDB toward that too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Gk: De Gea > Ederson > Lloris

Rb: Walker = Wan Bissaka > Aurier/Doherty
CB: Laporte > Maguire = Alderweireld > Lindelof = Dias > Spurs CB2
LB: Reguilon > Telles > City LB

Midfield hard to judge individually because of differences in roles. Overall group I'd say:
Midfield: De Bruyne > Bruno > Pogba > Ndombele = Lo Celso = Van de Beek > Foden = Fred = Rodri = Hojbjerg = Gundogan > Sissoko = McTominay

LW: Son > Sterling = Rashford (marginal) > Torres = Bergwijn > James
ST: Kane > Aguero > Martial > Jesus = Cavani
RW: Mahrez = Bernardo > Greenwood = Lucas > Bale > Mata

Basically in everything I'd say all teams can say they are better at some positions and not others. I'd say City and Spurs are built more naturally where their best players in each position suit each other, whereas that's not the case with us (a front 3 of Martial/Rashford/Greenwood isn't balanced, a midfield including 2 of Bruno/Pogba isn't balanced), slow CBs, etc.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Bruno is not a better player than KDB, the fact that he scores penalties just about every single game doesn`t change that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Miles better than Spurs bar Kane and son but city still have some decent players and a big squad so I’d still have city over ours. That being said the city squad gets weaker by the season as they lose their historic title winning spine.

Also why are we including Spurs :lol:.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It seems odd people are hyping this version of City up.
They look miles off 2 years ago and arguably have more gaps than we do. Aguero is well down from his peak, Sterling needs the team in top form, Pep doesn't trust Mahrez for a reason and the full backs aren't the best despite how many times they pump huge wad into that position.

Rodri is super average and they didn't replace D Silva.

Strelok

I see.

If we take Bruno and Kane out then we're weaker than them in every department except CF I think. If they play Son upfront and one of those Bale/Moura/Lamela on the left than we're literally weaker than them in every departments. I don't think Rashford or Greenwood is better than those above.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Their midfield, defence ,Forward is better than us. Don't even know how this is an argument.

Bruno gives better numbers but KDB is on a whole different level.

Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez is better than ours and Laporte is better than Maguire.
Is their (City's) midfield better than ours? Sure De Bruyne gets in but Rodri & Gundogan are they better than Fred, Pogba, McTominay, VDB? Not for me

Wouldn't take Ederson over De Gea, wouldn't take Mendy over Shaw, wouldn't take Mahrez over Greenwood

It would be a very evenly matched, City ain't all that anymore

OleBoiii

Not sure about that in my opinion. I don't think there's much between Rashford and Son.
I think both Son and Kane are one or two steps ahead of all of our attackers. Tottenham's attack is best in the league, imo. Ours is the 4th or 5th best(not much between us and Chelsea).

tomaldinho1

City & United are pretty close in my mind individually. Spurs a bit behind.

Spurs just play v effective but simple style which suits their squad. Individually though they are behind when you look at entire squad.

Strelok

I think both Son and Kane are one or two steps ahead of all of our attackers. Tottenham's attack is best in the league, imo. Ours is the 4th or 5th best(not much between us and Chelsea).
Yeah agreed. Son is probably one of the best LW in the world for a while already. That guy is very consistent as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah agreed. Son is probably one of the best LW in the world for a while already. That guy is very consistent as well.
Eh? he was certainly not one of the best left wingers in the world last season. It wasn't a great showing for him all things considered.
This season is a different kettle of fish, so far.

Born2Lose

Kane's become a cheat code at this point 7 goals & 9 assists in 9 PL games

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs just play v effective but simple style which suits their squad. Individually though they are behind when you look at entire squad.
Take your red flipping blinkered glasses off and read that first sentence again. Is that a joke?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bruno is not a better player than KDB, the fact that he scores penalties just about every single game doesn`t change that.
What about when he smashes stunning outside of box shots into the net?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What about when he smashes stunning outside of box shots into the net?
Very good goal, doesnt change the fact that the vast majority of his goals are penalties though.

tomaldinho1

Take your red flipping blinkered glasses off and read that first sentence again. Is that a joke?
No joke, be interesting to hear why your reaction was so extreme? The whole point is I specified individually which is why so many fans think our team should be performing better.

GK: Ederson/DDG (not much in it).
RB: Walker/AWB (Walker for me but AWB better defensively, Walker better offensively).
CB: Laporte/Maguire best two CBs from both squads. Both teams have decent cover Dias looks good but too early
LB: Shaw/Telles/Zinchenko/Mendy (none are amazing, none are that bad. Toss of a coin really)
CM: Rodri/KDB/Foden/Fernandinho/ Silva/Gundogan vs Pogba/Bruno/McT/Matic/Fred/VdB - both stacked to the rafters
ATT: Sterling/Aguero/Mahrez/Jesus/Torres vs Rashford/ Cavani/ Martial/Greenwood/Mata/Ighalo - this is the only area there's a marked difference but it's mainly because Aguero is an absolute beast. That said he's now got some weird long term injury so that's worth taking into account.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Spurs 2nd XI:

----------------- Hart
Aurier - Sanchez - Rodon - Davies
---------- Sissoko - Winks
----------------- Alli
Lamela - Moura - Bergjwyn