United squad against Spurs and City

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Honestly, I wouldn’t take any Spurs players except Kane & Son for obvious reason those two are world class, and possibly Reguilon, I just prefer him (personally for full back) over Telles since he’s quicker & can dribble while Telles is more of crosser & passer bit more playmaker full back.

They beat us 6-1, big deal, it was a red when 2-1 and we had no Telles & Cavani. And if we play again, our XI won’t be the same, you will expect different lineup with the 6-1 at least 5 changes.

City still have better squad than us. They didn’t win the title twice with 100 & 90 points for having worse squad than a squad that Mourinho said it was miracle to even get 2nd place and season later being shit.

To even think our squad are currently better than City, VP89 must be on something high that I would like to give a try. Otherwise, he should give Ole credit since Ole’s coaching improved players that were previously labeled as not good enough under Mourinho to something better than PL title winner.

Welbeckham

Spurs is quite even. I’d take Kane, Son, Reguilon and Alderweireld easily over all of our options. But then again Rashford, Bruno and Maguire are our only players that would improve them considerably.

City is just a false claim. All these would start for us. CB: Laporte, RB: Walker/Cancelo, CM: Gündogan/Rodri, FIT HIM ANYWHERE: De Bruyne, CF: Agüero/Jesus, RW: Mahrez/Sterling/Torres.

If I were a City fan, I’m not sure I’d want any of our players. Telles is a bit like Kolarov when they had him, something they could maybe use. Lindelöf or Maguire vs Dias or Aké wouldn’t be a huge upgrade for them imo. And De Gea wouldn’t really be an upgrade for them, even with all Ederson’s mistakes.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You've pretty much just said what I already wrote...

City have a better all round attack although without Aguero it's much closer. Bruno would 100% start over Gundogan (the fact you've said that makes me wonder how impartial you are) who is hardly loved by City fans - just head over to Blue Moon and they are far from happy with him and Rodri. There isn't a huge gap on an individual level when you look across the first team squads, especially now Fernandinho is past his prime, Silva has gone and Kompany too. I expect this to change next transfer window but currently they are probably as weak on paper as they have been for a few years in my mind.

I'm not a Spurs fan but is Mou's first choice not the below?

----------Sissoko --- Hojberg--------
----Ndombele OR Lo Celso------
I agree they are one of the weakest squads they have had there in a while there is no denying that. If you are going to quote me then you would of read that I I said Gundogan and KDB would be starters at CM making a debate for Bruno... It is not a clear cut as you make it out to be when you say 100%.

In regards to the post about Tottenham it's either Ndombele or Lo Celso in a midfield trio... Maybe they would play together but in extreme circumstances against certain opponents.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Joint 11 for all 3

De Gea
Walker Toby Laporte Reguilon
Hojberg
De Bruyne Bruno
Sterling Kane Son​

5 Spurs
4 City
2 Utd
A fair team based on the players current form for there respected clubs.(Sterling form debatable)

Last edited:

Becks00

Have not really watched that much Spurs lately, but the way you all are speaking of reguilon has he been that good? Also as regard the topic, there is too much recency bias here with the Spurs squad. Kane is a great player and Son is a good one but the way they've started this season is not sustainable, we should may be a bit patient and wait until half the games in the league has been played before knowing who the pretenders are and who the real deal is especially with the way the season kicked off.

For me only Liverpool has the clearly better squad, the rest of the chasing pack of Chelsea, Utd and Spurs on top form are even. City I can't quite figure out, on top form they are better than the above three but they are as inconsistent as the utd team right now.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
A fair team based on the players current form for there respected clubs.(Sterling form debatable)
Yeah that was my take, Although thinking about it who else goes on the right? Bale, yet to hit his stride, Greenwood, still young and 'ahem' green. James, cannot get a game at United mostly, Moura, meh he's ok I guess, Lamela, in the right kind of team maybe? Like a Pochettino style press from the front he is a perfect fit. Rashford on the right is probably the only other option there realistically however, and on form both players not really hitting their stride atm.

I thought the goalkeepers were 50/50 with Ederson and De Gea, who has not been at his best, in fact he has been quite poor for an extended period of time, is he getting back to his best? Maybe.

Web of Bissaka

Honestly I agree if we're only talking about how talented the players actually are, ignoring their "actual performances".

We're talking about Squad, so the whole players in depth, ours is just filled with far better quality actually.

The difference?
Impression, system, coaching and form so people perceive our squad as weaker.

Strelok

Did you just "tattle" on @VP89 ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No.
Just imagine a fanbase so toxic, that when one of our own argues that we are better than City and Spurs, another one of our own not only argues with him, but also starts a thread to try and out him to other United supporters. Shame on your @Strelok
No we didn't argue whether we're better than City and Spurs. We're discussing whose squad is better and why in another thread. It was really off topic so we moved here to continue.

What's wrong with that? What's with this mentality of if you're a fan you can not say anything bad about your club :confused: ?

Strelok

I agree with all of these except the third. Moura and Lamela are squad players for a top 6 team and they wouldn't even be there if they weren't such energetic bulldogs. They offer far more in the way of commitment and running around than they do in skill. Bergwijn also hasn't shown too much thus far.

Greenwood alone has the raw potential to smash all three aforementioned. And I don't watch much Utd but I was under the impression that James is a tidy player as well.
Agreed.

But problem is Mata, James, Lingard are not even squad player material for any of those top 6 I think. I'd doubt if they even belong to the PL.

Greenwood is phenomenal but in 2 years I think. Imo his game is still too simple and he's not physically ready yet.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No.

No we didn't argue whether we're better than City and Spurs. We're discussing whose squad is better and why in another thread. It was really off topic so we moved here to continue.

What's wrong with that? What's with this mentality of if you're a fan you can not say anything bad about your club :confused: ?
Yes you did "tattle" on him. And you tried to shame him. You were obviously looking for a bunch of fellow United supporters to have a laugh at him for thinking we are better than City and Spurs. Good for him. More of our supporters should stand up and cheer these players on rather than constantly b*tch and moan about how sh*t we are...

Strelok

Yes you did "tattle" on him. And you tried to shame him. You were obviously looking for a bunch of fellow United supporters to have a laugh at him for thinking we are better than City and Spurs. Good for him. More of our supporters should stand up and cheer these players on rather than constantly b*tch and moan about how sh*t we are...
I asked him if he'd like to continue in another thread in the football forum. He said yes.

It seems you find the idea of us having a squad better than City or Spurs is laughable. I didn't. That's why I created a new thread to discuss it.

And now I have to say we have the best squad in the world or paint it all rosy to not be called 'constantly b*tch and moan'?

meamth

Honestly, I wouldn’t take any Spurs players except Kane & Son for obvious reason those two are world class, and possibly Reguilon, I just prefer him (personally for full back) over Telles since he’s quicker & can dribble while Telles is more of crosser & passer bit more playmaker full back.

They beat us 6-1, big deal, it was a red when 2-1 and we had no Telles & Cavani. And if we play again, our XI won’t be the same, you will expect different lineup with the 6-1 at least 5 changes.

City still have better squad than us. They didn’t win the title twice with 100 & 90 points for having worse squad than a squad that Mourinho said it was miracle to even get 2nd place and season later being shit.

To even think our squad are currently better than City, VP89 must be on something high that I would like to give a try. Otherwise, he should give Ole credit since Ole’s coaching improved players that were previously labeled as not good enough under Mourinho to something better than PL title winner.
The title winning squad is sound argument, but then again, the backbone that won the titles are now gone/waning.

The current City backbone aren't as good as they were and I guess right now, they are almost coming down to our level.

EDIT:
Their key players that was the reason they dominated:
Fernandinho - old
Silva - left
Kompany - left
Aguero - old
Walker - on the downwards trajectory

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I asked him if he'd like to continue in another thread in the football forum. He said yes.

It seems you find the idea of us having a squad better than City or Spurs is laughable. I didn't. That's why I created a new thread to discuss it.

And now I have to say we have the best squad in the world or paint it all rosy to not be called 'constantly b*tch and moan'?
You wanted to prove him wrong. Why on Earth would anyone who supports Manchester United want to prove that City and Spurs are better? What can you possibly gain other than "being right"

Strelok

You wanted to prove him wrong. Why on Earth would anyone who supports Manchester United want to prove that City and Spurs are better? What can you possibly gain other than "being right"
Because I think it's the truth that we have a weaker squad than them? You always conveniently forget the word 'squad'.

And again, now you always need to try your best to paint your club to be the best to be a supporter? even if you think that's not true?

And now it's even wrong to want to prove yourself right and the other wrong in a debate?

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The title winning squad is sound argument, but then again, the backbone that won the titles are now gone/waning.

The current City backbone aren't as good as they were and I guess right now, they are almost coming down to our level.

EDIT:
Their key players that was the reason they dominated:
Fernandinho - old
Silva - left
Kompany - left
Aguero - old
Walker - on the downwards trajectory
They spent more than 60m on Rodri to replace Fernandinho, I’m sure city fans wouldn’t take any of our DM for him, Fred isn’t a one hole DM more of a double pivot. Only Bruno will get into their midfield which replace Silva. I’m sure City fans would rather keep Rodri as their DM and KDB as their other midfield.

Kompany only played half of the season or less when they won the league with Pep.

Aguero is a year younger than Cavani who is currently performing better than Martial so don’t give me excuse about City will even dare to pick our no 9 over him when he’s younger than Cavani.

Walker is still kicking and getting pick over Bissaka in England national team.

Just ignore the winning title squad. It still doesn’t change the fact they have better players squad and XI than us.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Because I think it's the truth that we have a weaker squad than them? You always conveniently for get the word 'squad'.

And again, now you always need to try your best to paint your club to be the best to be a supporter? even if you think that's not true?
I just would never argue about how another club is better than mine. And I wouldn't try and prove it. What's the point? Why would you go out of your way to try and prove that one of our biggest rivals is better than us? WTF?? All we have to do is look at the table for the past few years to know the answer to that and most of us try to forget it. And we certainly wouldn't make an argument for City being better than us. If anything, as bias as it may be, many of us would just say that we beat City 3 times last year and leave it at that...

Strelok

I just would never argue about how another club is better than mine. And I wouldn't try and prove it. What's the point? Why would you go out of your way to try and prove that one of our biggest rivals is better than us? WTF?? All we have to do is look at the table for the past few years to know the answer to that and most of us try to forget it. And we certainly wouldn't make an argument for City being better than us. If anything, as bias as it may be, many of us would just say that we beat City 3 times last year and leave it at that...
You again conveniently forgot the word 'squad'.

Well if it's your way of supporting the club then I'll respect yours. Me I simply can't blindly ignore the truth, believe everything is rosy and refuse the reality.

archiebald

I honestly think only Telles and maybe Bruno would get into their first XI:

Ederson
Walker Laporte Dias Telles
KDB Rodri/Gundogan Bruno
Mahrez/Bilva/Torres Aguero Sterling

You can't in good faith make a case for anyone else except De Gea, and even then I prefer Ederson as he's more well rounded.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You again conveniently forgot the word 'squad'.

Well if it's your way of supporting the club then I'll respect yours. Me I simply can't blindly ignore the truth, believe everything is rosy and refuse the reality.
I didn't forget anything. I don't care of you are talking about the squad, the starting 11 or individual players. And it's not about "blindly ignoring" anything. You don't think I see City ahead of us in the table for the last few years? Give your head a shake. We all know. And it's bad enough hearing it from their supporters. I don't need to hear it from our own too. f*cking millennials :nono:

Strelok

I didn't forget anything. I don't care of you are talking about the squad, the starting 11 or individual players. And it's not about "blindly ignoring" anything. You don't think I see City ahead of us in the table for the last few years? Give your head a shake. We all know. And it's bad enough hearing it from their supporters. I don't need to hear it from our own too. f*cking millennials :nono:
And now you insulted me just because we disagree on something, even when I respect your choice?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I honestly think only Telles and maybe Bruno would get into their first XI:

Ederson
Walker Laporte Dias Telles
KDB Rodri/Gundogan Bruno
Mahrez/Bilva/Torres Aguero Sterling

You can't in good faith make a case for anyone else except De Gea, and even then I prefer Ederson as he's more well rounded.
I prefer DDG if it’s Ole‘s team. But if we are talking about Pep’s team Ederson will be in the team over DDG without a doubt due to Pep’s system. Rashford should be in for Mahrez & Bilva imo with Sterling takes the right spot and Rashford left. Pretty much sums up they are still ahead of us in term of squad individual quality.

tomaldinho1

I agree they are one of the weakest squads they have had there in a while there is no denying that. If you are going to quote me then you would of read that I I said Gundogan and KDB would be starters at CM making a debate for Bruno... It is not a clear cut as you make it out to be when you say 100%.

In regards to the post about Tottenham it's either Ndombele or Lo Celso in a midfield trio... Maybe they would play together but in extreme circumstances against certain opponents.
Thanks for clarification on Ndombele/Lo Celso - that's what I thought given how Mou always liked to setup with us.

Obviously nothing is 100% but I guess my point is you will struggle to convince most neutral fans that Gundogan would get in ahead of Bruno. I think most City fans would pick Bruno over him. The issue with looking at this thread is that everyone is going off this season's form not a wider period so it's too changeable - the fact people are picking Reguillon after 9 games, Alderweireld now he's hit some form or Diaz, even though City have been leaking goals, says it all really. We should revisit this half way through the season because at least then we'll have a better idea of things but as it stands people are 'rating' Spurs players far too highly and it's purely because they're the team that has started the best even though I think it's also fair to say they have hardly been playing teams off the park, Mou's just got them grinding out wins (aside from United/Soton) with a very basic but effective style of play .

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Spurs have a much better attack than we do, but we have a better midfield. Defense is pretty even.

City are woefully underperforming right now, but their attack seems like a real weakness outside of Aguero and Sterling.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What was your purpose when you said that?

What did 'f*king millennials' had to do with our conversation?
My purpose was me shaking my head at a millennial who insists on arguing that city and spurs are better than us. It was just blatantly obvious that you were a millennial. Turns out I was right...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Fans perspectives are funny, Id only take Bruno and De Gea in our starting 11 TBH. (That's me not allowing Rashford/Martial on our Right hand side).

Strelok

My purpose was me shaking my head at a millennial who insists on arguing that city and spurs are better than us. It was just blatantly obvious that you were a millennial. Turns out I was right...
From when millennials are considered to typically insist on arguing city and spurs are better than us?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
We do have a back up striker now remember :D.
True. In which case the front three would be Lamela - Vicinius - Moura

But even without him, the 2nd XI that I listed is pretty strong. And - since this thread is supposed to be about squad strength - I've yet to see a better 2nd XI listing for United.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
From when millennials are considered to typically insist on arguing city and spurs are better than us?
Millennials just act differently towards the club than us older supporters. It wasn't hard to guess that you were a millennial. Turned out to be correct didn't it...

Strelok

Millennials just act differently towards the club than us older supporters. It wasn't hard to guess that you were a millennial. Turned out to be correct didn't it...
You're 46, I'm 35 btw. Not a big gap.

I don't think all older supporters are all like you. Rather, the younger generation who were used to the successes under SAF would act more like you. Imo they tend to live in that rosy time thus refuse the reality. While the older supporters, knowing our difficult time before the SAF era, would accept the current reality more easily.

Anyway, it's too off topic now. We should stop here I guess.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No shock to see people on a Utd forum saying they have a better squad than Spurs - I think Spurs have a stronger squad than Utd and by a fair distance. City probably have the best squad of the three though.

tomaldinho1

No shock to see people on a Utd forum saying they have a better squad than Spurs - I think Spurs have a stronger squad than Utd and by a fair distance. City probably have the best squad of the three though.
And no shock to see the Spurs fans on the United forum saying the opposite. A bit of healthy debate is what keeps the caf alive!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If you won't allow Rashford or Martial on your right hand side, then kindly take Greenwood. Surely better than what you have?
Well I thought the general consensus was neither can play well off the right? Greenwood isn't a starter for you , for whatever reason so I doubt he would be a starter for us.