United squad against Spurs and City

tomaldinho1

Spurs 2nd XI:

----------------- Hart
Aurier - Sanchez - Rodon - Davies
---------- Sissoko - Winks
----------------- Alli
Lamela - Moura - Bergjwyn
Would you not have Sissoko/Hojberg as your main CM double pivot in the first XI?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No joke, be interesting to hear why your reaction was so extreme? The whole point is I specified individually which is why so many fans think our team should be performing better.

GK: Ederson/DDG (not much in it).
RB: Walker/AWB (Walker for me but AWB better defensively, Walker better offensively).
CB: Laporte/Maguire best two CBs from both squads. Both teams have decent cover Dias looks good but too early
LB: Shaw/Telles/Zinchenko/Mendy (none are amazing, none are that bad. Toss of a coin really)
CM: Rodri/KDB/Foden/Fernandinho/ Silva/Gundogan vs Pogba/Bruno/McT/Matic/Fred/VdB - both stacked to the rafters
ATT: Sterling/Aguero/Mahrez/Jesus/Torres vs Rashford/ Cavani/ Martial/Greenwood/Mata/Ighalo - this is the only area there's a marked difference but it's mainly because Aguero is an absolute beast. That said he's now got some weird long term injury so that's worth taking into account.
Apologies from the extreme reaction.

Lets talk about the forwards, Mahrez... has won a premier league title/Sterling - I think his goals per game ratio says it all? I know he's not in the best of form. Comparing them two to Rashford who i feel like he needs to do more and Martial again need's to be playing at a better level. There is no doubt there is talent in Rashford/Martial but when you see what Son is doing at Spurs and what Mane is doing at Liverpool why aren't they being talked in that bracket?

Walker is much better then AWB it has to be said and Gareth Southgate see's it the same way. Maguire for 80m still need's to prove his is capable of getting the rave reviews like Laporte does. KDB/Gundogan again would start over Pogba and any of them other midfielders any day only Bruno come's close but still has a lot to prove yet.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Would you not have Sissoko/Hojberg as your main CM double pivot in the first XI?
If all are fully fit, and perhaps depending on the opposition, I'd say it'd be:

Ndombele - Hojberg
-------- Lo Celso.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Is their (City's) midfield better than ours? Sure De Bruyne gets in but Rodri & Gundogan are they better than Fred, Pogba, McTominay, VDB? Not for me

Wouldn't take Ederson over De Gea, wouldn't take Mendy over Shaw, wouldn't take Mahrez over Greenwood

It would be a very evenly matched, City ain't all that anymore
Greenwood for all his potential is still a kid. Mahrez would start over him. Gundagon and Rodri is better than Fred and McT. Pogba , for all his hype still hasn't delivered for us. Yes a working Pogba- Bruno - Fred is probably one of the best but that doesn't exist .

Shaw would start over Mendy but he is hardly fit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Greenwood for all his potential is still a kid. Mahrez would start over him. Gundagon and Rodri is better than Fred and McT. Pogba , for all his hype still hasn't delivered for us. Yes a working Pogba- Bruno - Fred is probably one of the best but that doesn't exist .

Shaw would start over Mendy but he is hardly fit.
And Mendy is?

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more with every single thing you've just typed

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
And Mendy is?

That's fine and you are free to disagree.

Mendy is shit as well but we hardly have a brilliant option either.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
[/QUOTE]
And Mendy is?

Mahrez would start over Greenwood surely that's something you can agree with him on? From a neutral point of view I can say Greenwood is a great talent but that is what were talking about vs a Premier League Winner.

tomaldinho1

Apologies from the extreme reaction.

Lets talk about the forwards, Mahrez... has won a premier league title/Sterling - I think his goals per game ratio says it all? I know he's not in the best of form. Comparing them two to Rashford who i feel like he needs to do more and Martial again need's to be playing at a better level. There is no doubt there is talent in Rashford/Martial but when you see what Son is doing at Spurs and what Mane is doing at Liverpool why aren't they being talked in that bracket?

Walker is much better then AWB it has to be said and Gareth Southgate see's it the same way. Maguire for 80m still need's to prove his is capable of getting the rave reviews like Laporte does. KDB/Gundogan again would start over Pogba and any of them other midfielders any day only Bruno come's close but still has a lot to prove yet.
You've pretty much just said what I already wrote...

City have a better all round attack although without Aguero it's much closer. Bruno would 100% start over Gundogan (the fact you've said that makes me wonder how impartial you are) who is hardly loved by City fans - just head over to Blue Moon and they are far from happy with him and Rodri. There isn't a huge gap on an individual level when you look across the first team squads, especially now Fernandinho is past his prime, Silva has gone and Kompany too. I expect this to change next transfer window but currently they are probably as weak on paper as they have been for a few years in my mind.
If all are fully fit, and perhaps depending on the opposition, I'd say it'd be:

Ndombele - Hojberg
-------- Lo Celso.
I'm not a Spurs fan but is Mou's first choice not the below?

----------Sissoko --- Hojberg--------
----Ndombele OR Lo Celso------

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Boy, i really picked the perfect timing to talk about his penalties, didnt i? Haha.
I was hoping he'd score that pen so I could make another smart alec comment.
Still 36 mins for that though :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Joint 11 for all 3

De Gea
Walker Toby Laporte Reguilon
Hojberg
De Bruyne Bruno
Sterling Kane Son​

5 Spurs
4 City
2 Utd

Falcow

We have a better squad than Spurs, they have a very good squad but peak Kane and Son in the form of their lives really do elevate it tremendously. City's is better than ours, the gap is closing though. I think we have a really good squad, we're just not getting the best out of it.
This.

Though I dont see what is so special about Citys squad anymore, KDB apart.

As for spurs, our squad is miles ahead of theirs. Kane and Son howver are miles above anything we have, that's the difference.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have a better squad than Spurs, they have a very good squad but peak Kane and Son in the form of their lives really do elevate it tremendously. City's is better than ours, the gap is closing though. I think we have a really good squad, we're just not getting the best out of it.
Nail on the head for me

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That doesn't answer my question. I would have thought given Mou's setup - Sissoko & Hojberg start as the 2 and then you have to drop one of Lo Celso or N'Dombele
Well, that's your opinion. Mine is that, with all players fully fit, Ndombele plays with Hojberg, with Lo Celso ahead of them and Hojberg mainly sitting back at all times.

tomaldinho1

Well, that's your opinion. Mine is that, with all players fully fit, Ndombele plays with Hojberg, with Lo Celso ahead of them and Hojberg mainly sitting back at all times.
I was asking you a question not giving you an opinion but understood if you think Sissoko drops out, I always thought Ndombele was better a bit more forward but interesting to hear. As said, I'm not a Spurs fan so no reason not to beleive you.

Eddy_JukeZ

City's squad has become ridiculously overrated the past year.

I think we're clearly on a similar level.

I would agree with the premise.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I was asking you a question not giving you an opinion but understood if you think Sissoko drops out, I always thought Ndombele was better a bit more forward but interesting to hear. As said, I'm not a Spurs fan so no reason not to beleive you.
I would expect Sissoko to remain in for the big games at least, Jose has always liked that kind of physical presence in midfield who is there purely to carry out team orders.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just imagine a fanbase so toxic, that when one of our own argues that we are better than City and Spurs, another one of our own not only argues with him, but also starts a thread to try and out him to other United supporters. Shame on your @Strelok

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
City and Livepool have better squads. We have slightly better than Spurs. Then comes Chelsea and others

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Also why are we including Spurs :lol:.
Im guessing comparing the best in the league on form atm to United? I understand given table position City is a much better comparison however.

Joint 11 for all 3

De Gea
Walker Toby Laporte Reguilon
Hojberg
De Bruyne Bruno
Sterling Kane Son​

5 Spurs
4 City
2 Utd
I'd go with this, although the keeper is a 50/50 for me with Ederson. Alderweireld having a bit of a renaissance under Jose, on form needs to be selected.

As for the three squads, the midfields for all three teams are good without being great, really cannot separate them. Spurs have it in attack, I'd say it is only a matter of time before Bale gets back some of his mojo, Kane, Son, Bale will be one of the better attacks in Europe. Defence, flip a coin, I think the managerial influence plays a big part here, Spurs have the tightest defence in the league atm.

Strelok

Eh? he was certainly not one of the best left wingers in the world last season. It wasn't a great showing for him all things considered.
This season is a different kettle of fish, so far.
Son was already one of the best LW in the world for a few seasons in case you don't know. Can you name 5 LW better than him?

Last season tbh I don't watch him much but I've been keeping an eye on him for a few seasons. He's a very completed player. Our Rashford is a very good player but his game is pretty limited. And Rashford is inconsistent while Son is consistent. His takeon 1v1 is better than Rashford, a very good passer and most of the time his decision making is spot on. While our Rashford, God bless him doesn't often get things right. His passing is pretty meth as well. Son can shoot or pass really well with both feets while our Rashford can only shoot or pass well with his right. Son is also stronger, has better balance and keep the ball better, it's very difficult to take the ball off him.

Anyway, we're talking about the current squad. Current form does count I think?

Supports
England
Kane and Son are the best two players on either side, Fernandes would start for them, and the rest of the two sides are much of a muchness.

I doubt you'd find many Spurs fans up for swapping squads for how 'obviously' superior ours apparently is.
Good summary. I agree, I think.

Supports
England
Eh? he was certainly not one of the best left wingers in the world last season. It wasn't a great showing for him all things considered.
This season is a different kettle of fish, so far.
Son wasn't in the same unsustainably brilliant form as he is at the moment, sure, but I don't think Rashford has ever been better. Son has been one of the best wingers in the league for a few seasons now. Recently, he's been one of the top 10 players in the PL in any position. And I'm a neutral observer with no dog in the fight.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Son wasn't in the same unsustainably brilliant form as he is at the moment, sure, but I don't think Rashford has ever been better. Son has been one of the best wingers in the league for a few seasons now. Recently, he's been one of the top 10 players in the PL in any position. And I'm a neutral observer with no dog in the fight.
On stats from last season Rashford and Son are very close, Rashford had 17 goals and 7 assists, Son had 11 goals and 10 assists. I can see why people want to compare them. This season, yeah Son has been on hot form, but Grealish imo has been better on the left for Villa.

Supports
England
Imo.

Kane >> Martial or Cavani

Son > Rashford

Bergwijn/ Moura/ Lamela >>> Mata/James/ Greenwood

Ndombele < Bruno

The rest I'd say more or less the same.

So we're not much weaker in CF and LW, stronger in CAM but much much weaker in RW. I've no idea how we can have a better squad than Spurs.
I agree with all of these except the third. Moura and Lamela are squad players for a top 6 team and they wouldn't even be there if they weren't such energetic bulldogs. They offer far more in the way of commitment and running around than they do in skill. Bergwijn also hasn't shown too much thus far.

Greenwood alone has the raw potential to smash all three aforementioned. And I don't watch much Utd but I was under the impression that James is a tidy player as well.

Supports
England
On stats from last season Rashford and Son are very close, Rashford had 17 goals and 7 assists, Son had 11 goals and 10 assists. I can see why people want to compare them. This season, yeah Son has been on hot form, but Grealish imo has been better on the left for Villa.
Fair enough. I'm not going to disavow that because frankly Son has become somewhat overrated (temporarily, due to recency bias). I don't mean that he's not a fantastic player because he obviously is, but too many people seem to be extrapolating backwards from the clear outlier that has been the last quarter-season, in which he's been scoring at an unsustainable rate.

By the end of next season, he'll be back to being rated fairly as a great attacker rather than in the conversation for the best player in Europe.

Bwuk

De Gea
AWB - Toby - Maguire - Regulion
Hojberg - Pogba
Rashford - Bruno - Son
Kane

De Gea
Walker - Maguire - Laporte - Telles
De Bruyne - Fred
Mahrez - Bruno - Rashford
Aguero

probably something like that would be my combined sides.​

padr81

Supports
Man City
De Gea
Hojberg - Pogba
Rashford - Bruno - Son
Kane

De Gea
De Bruyne - Fred
Aguero

Rashford over Sterling?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Kane and Son are the best two players on either side, Fernandes would start for them, and the rest of the two sides are much of a muchness.

I doubt you'd find many Spurs fans up for swapping squads for how 'obviously' superior ours apparently is.
Their fans would take AWB, Pogba & Bruno. That would probably be it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

De Gea
Hojberg - Pogba
Rashford - Bruno - Son
Kane

De Gea
De Bruyne - Fred
Aguero

Maguire should be nowhere near

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Mahrez would start over Greenwood surely that's something you can agree with him on? From a neutral point of view I can say Greenwood is a great talent but that is what were talking about vs a Premier League Winner.
What difference does it make if he's won a PL? Nicky Butt won a PL (lots of them) was he better than Gerrard?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just imagine a fanbase so toxic, that when one of our own argues that we are better than City and Spurs, another one of our own not only argues with him, but also starts a thread to try and out him to other United supporters. Shame on your @Strelok
Depressing isn't it?

Remember when you were at school and nobody would ever hear a bad word against their own club. Its the other way around now.