United squad against Spurs and City

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Jeez. You guys need to take a break.
tbf Strelok is in the right here, attack the post not the poster, says it clear as day in the terms of service. I dont think calling someone a f&*&$^g millennial is meant to be a term of endearment, nor does it really add anything to the debate.

No shock to see people on a Utd forum saying they have a better squad than Spurs - I think Spurs have a stronger squad than Utd and by a fair distance. City probably have the best squad of the three though.
Eh? By a fair distance no way, on current form yes, Man Utd have been in poor to average form.

It's like the Son vs Rashford debate, yes this season absolutely, Son is killing it, Rashford, like the United team has been average mostly. But last season the two were close, Rashford had 17 goals and 7 assists, Son 11 goals and 10 assists. Not a lot in that tbf, Rashford brings more goals to the table, Son more of a provider for his team.

What would a combined 11 look like from a Spurs fans point of view, on current form? Id go for De Gea, AWB, Alderweireld, Maguire, Reguillon, Hojbjerg, Fernandes, McTominay, Son, Kane, Rashford

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
tbf Strelok is in the right here, attack the post not the poster, says it clear as day in the terms of service. I dont think calling someone a f&*&$^g millennial is meant to be a term of endearment, nor does it really add anything to the debate.

Eh? By a fair distance no way, on current form yes, Man Utd have been in poor to average form.

It's like the Son vs Rashford debate, yes this season absolutely, Son is killing it, Rashford, like the United team has been average mostly. But last season the two were close, Rashford had 17 goals and 7 assists, Son 11 goals and 10 assists. Not a lot in that tbf, Rashford brings more goals to the table, Son more of a provider for his team.

What would a combined 11 look like from a Spurs fans point of view, on current form? Id go for De Gea, AWB, Alderweireld, Maguire, Reguillon, Hojbjerg, Fernandes, McTominay, Son, Kane, Rashford
Rashford scored 6 pens last season? If Rashford and Kane were in the same team, Kane would be taking the pens. Remove those 6 pens and Rashford is on 11 goals same as Son. I'd say its about even really between the two ultimately.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Lloris (personal preference - not much between them), Aurier (has been fantastic this season), Alderweireld, Maguire = Dier (who again has been fantastic this season), Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Fernandes, N'Dombele, Son, Kane, Rashford

It has been a tough one with Lo Celso vs Fernandes as I love Lo Celso but he has been recovering from an injury so far so I have to give it to Fernandes. You guys may freak out but on current form this is the team I would genuinely pick. Aurier and Dier many people may overlook but they have both been brilliant so far this season and neither of them I have particularly rated but I can't ignore just how well they have played.

The ones I think nobody could argue against are Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Son and Kane - I think N'dombele still cant last 90 mins but his influence has grown each match and he is top quality.

We have more quality in depth I'd argue also - players not mentioned include Bale, Doherty, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Winks and Lamela. I don't think Utd have the same strength in depth personally. Utd have Pogba, Fred, Mata, Greenwood and Shaw? Out of those I only really rate Greenwood, the rest are pretty average (before you freak out I think Pogba is a talented player but his performances are the very definition of average - at best).

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Rashford on the right, no thanks? AWB? No thanks. McTominay over N'Dombele or GLC? Nope. Maguire...... :lol:. I'd take DDG and Bruno in a heartbeat. I like Rashford but if its for a LW slot its Son everyday of the week.

archiebald

Rashford on the right, no thanks? AWB? No thanks. McTominay over N'Dombele or GLC? Nope. Maguire...... :lol:. I'd take DDG and Bruno in a heartbeat. I like Rashford but if its for a LW slot its Son everyday of the week.
Hard to disagree with you as much as it pains me to say it. Our midfield ex Bruno is a level or two behind yours, and till this date I still don't see how Rashford >= Son. Even when Son was 23 his technical skills, dribbling and decision making were never in doubt, though his goal numbers were lower as the offense wasn't focused around him during his time at Leverkusen/early Spurs.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Lloris (personal preference - not much between them), Aurier (has been fantastic this season), Alderweireld, Maguire = Dier (who again has been fantastic this season), Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Fernandes, N'Dombele, Son, Kane, Rashford

It has been a tough one with Lo Celso vs Fernandes as I love Lo Celso but he has been recovering from an injury so far so I have to give it to Fernandes. You guys may freak out but on current form this is the team I would genuinely pick. Aurier and Dier many people may overlook but they have both been brilliant so far this season and neither of them I have particularly rated but I can't ignore just how well they have played.

The ones I think nobody could argue against are Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Son and Kane - I think N'dombele still cant last 90 mins but his influence has grown each match and he is top quality.

We have more quality in depth I'd argue also - players not mentioned include Bale, Doherty, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Winks and Lamela. I don't think Utd have the same strength in depth personally. Utd have Pogba, Fred, Mata, Greenwood and Shaw? Out of those I only really rate Greenwood, the rest are pretty average (before you freak out I think Pogba is a talented player but his performances are the very definition of average - at best).
I think we agree on most things here. The reason I did not pick Ndombele was the fact without the ball he just seems a bit of a liability. Mostly to do with his fitness, watched De Bruyne run past him on a counter like he was a training cone which is simply not good enough at EPL level. That could prove costly at some point, he has Sissoko and Hojbjerg covering in behind him atm so he is well protected. I have no doubts about his ability on the ball, or the fact he is improving and committed to improving his fitness, just not there yet for me.

Lo Celso just hasnt played enough this season and Fernandes has been on fire, has to go to Bruno. Lo Celso was Spurs best player towards the end of last season but has not really got going yet this season.

Maguire, Dier was much of a muchness for me, could have gone either way, with Aurier I thought he had only played one game, and granted he did well, just didnt think it warranted selecting him over AWB who has been consistently solid.

I stuck Rashford on the right simply because Bale is yet to hit his stride, Lamela has been ok or injured, Moura has been average, James or Greenwood are both average as well. I feel even out of position has to go to Rashford, with Son on the Left and obv Kane in the middle.

caid

We've been poor to mediocre this season so its hard to make a strong case for our players vs Spurs who've been very good. Players like Alderweireld being a nailed on starter for everyone seems a kind of transitory thing. Kane and Sons form being this good similarly. People making a case for Aurier is another one that I'd be pretty surprised to see last the season.
I still think they have a better squad this season having said all that. Reguillon and Hojberg just look the perfect signings for them, annoyingly. They look more balanced and settled and just in a better position to take advantage of what they have. We have no idea how to fit Van De Beek in and have basically wrote off a 90m midfielder.

hobbers

Slightly ahead of Spurs and somewhat behind City.

Though I am weighting it a bit more to the first eleven than the squad. City don't have that strong a squad compared to us, but a stronger first eleven.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lo Celso is a brilliant player. Not sure why you think the comment was funny. Fernandes has done great for you guys but his numbers are heavily skewed by penalties and has been fairly rubbish in quite a few games this season. If Lo Celso had been fitter i may well have chosen him. He was our best player for months past season.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
the fact people are picking Reguillon after 9 games
He was in the team of the season for La Liga last year at LB (playing on loan for Sevilla, where he also won the Europa League) and is clearly the long term future for Real Madrid and Spain at LB. He's going to be very, very soon one of the best LB's in the world. It's not just 9 games, everyone knows he's a mammoth talent.

It'll be a fun two seasons or so at Tottenham with him before Madrid uses their buy back clause to bring him home (and that buyback clause is why he's at Tottenham and not United).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lo Celso is a brilliant player. Not sure why you think the comment was funny. Fernandes has done great for you guys but his numbers are heavily skewed by penalties and has been fairly rubbish in quite a few games this season. If Lo Celso had been fitter i may well have chosen him. He was our best player for months past season.
That's why it was funny.

roonster09

Scout
Fernandes was pretty awful for the first few matches this season though. Its about current form not overall ability
He wasn't awful, he is consistently very good and among the best players in the league. Just because he wasn't at his best for couple of games doesn't mean lo celso is close to Bruno.

Giggsy13

As much as we rightfully rate Bruno, KDB edges him out as the best midfielder in the premier league. KDB is absolutely on another level when he’s on his game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fernandes was pretty awful for the first few matches this season though. Its about current form not overall ability
Recreating history are we?
@Strelok what have you done! You pissed off the Spurs fans :lol:

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Combined Spurs/United XI?

I can only see Bruno, and maybe Rashford getting into that if you stick him on the right. Pogba too if he wasn't so off the boil.

roonster09

Scout
Interesting thread, wonder if anyone changed opinion now.

When this thread was created, Spurs were in first position, 7 points ahead of us having played 1 game more. Scored 21 goals compared to 13 for us. Conceded 9 goals compared to 14 for us.

Since this thread was created, ManUtd and Spurs played 5 games. ManUtd won 13 points, scoring 15 goals and conceding just 7 goals.

Spurs won 5 points, scoring 4 goals and conceding 5.

Not bad for a team with so many players who wouldn't make Spurs first 11.

NoneBmStore

When this thread was created, Spurs were in first position, 7 points ahead of us having played 1 game more. Scored 21 goals compared to 13 for us. Conceded 9 goals compared to 14 for us.

Since this thread was created, ManUtd and Spurs played 5 games. ManUtd won 13 points, scoring 15 goals and conceding just 7 goals.

That’s a horrible defensive record honestly.
thank god we’re scoring for fun lately, otherwise we’d be somewhere around Arsenal in the table.

Devil81

De Gea
Ederson

Regulion
Shaw
AWB
Walker

Maguire
Diaz
Laporte
Alderwereld

Fred
Hjoberg
De Bruyne
Fernandes
Pogba

Martial
Sterling
Son
Kane
Rashford

That's the squad I'd build from the three clubs. The fact we'd have the most spots isn't a biased opinion either, I think we have the strongest squad.

Strelok

No I'm still of the same opinion. A few matches can't change that Spurs have a better squad than us. We haven't fixed our RW issue yet and Kane/Son are consideredly better than our Martial/Cavani/Rashford.

My only change would be the McT last match. That McT is definitely better than any Spurs mid I think.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No I'm still of the same opinion. A few matches can't change that Spurs have a better squad than us. We haven't fixed our RW issue yet and Kane/Son are consideredly better than our Martial/Cavani/Rashford.

My only change would be the McT last match. That McT is definitely better than any Spurs mid I think.
Spurs really don’t have a better squad. Kane and Son have shown godly form.

cyberman

Amazing. Not being funny but wasnt it a few good matches thst had their squad considered better than us in the first place?

Strelok

Amazing. Not being funny but wasnt it a few good matches thst had their squad considered better than us in the first place?
No I've been of that opinion for years. Especially after they reached their CL final. We've been improving since but imo there's still a gap in attacking quality wise. Bruno is brilliant but him alone doesn't suffice.

cyberman

No I've been of that opinion for years. Especially after they reached their CL final. We've been improving since but imo there's still a gap in attacking quality wise. Bruno is brilliant but him alone doesn't suffice.
Squads change over a summer, never mind years.
Jose doesnt make many changes because he cant. When he does, he tells us at fulltime how shit they are and thats why he doesn't rotate.
I cant see how anybody rates that squad when their manager doesnt.
Even now we scored more than they have with 1 game extra to play after finishing well above them last year..

meamth

De Gea
Ederson

Regulion
Shaw
AWB
Walker

Maguire
Diaz
Laporte
Alderwereld

Fred
Hjoberg
De Bruyne
Fernandes
Pogba

Martial
Sterling
Son
Kane
Rashford

That's the squad I'd build from the three clubs. The fact we'd have the most spots isn't a biased opinion either, I think we have the strongest squad.

Hojberg over Rodri?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
As i said right at the start of this silly thread, City still have a decent squad, all be it waning from their peak now that Silva, Aguero and Kompany have gone. Spurs though are a laughable comparison. Only Kane and Son get anywhere near our team.

Web of Bissaka

Which best 11 would you guys pick from all three team?

Mine..

Lloris
Walker -- Dias -- Laporte -- Shaw
Hojbjerg
KDB -- Bruno
Rashford
-- Kane -- Son​
So 4 Spurs, 3 United and 4 City.

Reasoning....
GK: De Gea is still shaky and I don't rate Ederson that highly in "saving", Lloris is generally solid without being spectacular.
DEF: I think it's obvious. Spurs defense is always suspects.. as does ours. City's LB isn't really that good.
MID: Obvious, KDB and Bruno are two musts. The only debate here is the DM.
ATK: Only problem is right wing. Mahrez and Sterling are way inconsistent and I don't feel they provide good width consistently. Spurs don't really have a good one no? For ours, Rashford often provide that when he play RW. Kane and Son are two musts.

Strelok

Squads change over a summer, never mind years.
Jose doesnt make many changes because he cant. When he does, he tells us at fulltime how shit they are and thats why he doesn't rotate.
I cant see how anybody rates that squad when their manager doesnt.
Even now we scored more than they have with 1 game extra to play after finishing well above them last year..
Well points or performance have so many factors in that. Form is temporary but my evaluation of our players and their players is based on much longer period. Tbh I don't care much about what the managers say about their squad, especially when it's Mou or Ole. It's my own evaluation.

Of course it's quite objective but imo Spurs still have a better squad than ours.

cyberman

Well points or performance have so many factors in that. Form is temporary but my evaluation of our players and their players is based on much longer period. Tbh I don't care much about what the managers say about their squad, especially when it's Mou or Ole. It's my own evaluation.

Of course it's quite objective but imo Spurs still have a better squad than ours.
But they finished 7th last year, us being above them and out performing them isnt a run of form. Its gone on for too long at this stage

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Which best 11 would you guys pick from all three team?

Mine..

Lloris
Walker -- Dias -- Laporte -- Shaw
Hojbjerg
KDB -- Bruno
Rashford
-- Kane -- Son​
So 4 Spurs, 3 United and 4 City.

Reasoning....
GK: De Gea is still shaky and I don't rate Ederson that highly in "saving", Lloris is generally solid without being spectacular.
DEF: I think it's obvious. Spurs defense is always suspects.. as does ours. City's LB isn't really that good.
MID: Obvious, KDB and Bruno are two musts. The only debate here is the DM.
ATK: Only problem is right wing. Mahrez and Sterling are way inconsistent and I don't feel they provide good width consistently. Spurs don't really have a good one no? For ours, Rashford often provide that when he play RW. Kane and Son are two musts.
Lloris is the best keeper in the league in terms of shot stopping. De Gea is 19th. This + Son unreal form (he's on the level of Martial last season) is the difference . Son and Kane I'd just swap without hesitation. The rest of Tottenham squad is not better than ours. I'm pretty sure once one of those two form drops, we will see the effect on the results. Mourinho coaching is poor, he relies on individuals form.

City have better squad than we do, not by much but still. They don't play good and every time I see them they look like conceding, but somehow they have the best defensive record in the league. I believe they've been quite lucky in that term.

All those clubs have better fullbacks though.

Web of Bissaka

Lloris is the best keeper in the league in terms of shot stopping. De Gea is 19th. This + Son unreal form (he's on the level of Martial last season) is the difference . Son and Kane I'd just swap without hesitation. The rest of Tottenham squad is not better than ours. I'm pretty sure once one of those two form drops, we will see the effect on the results. Mourinho coaching is poor, he relies on individuals form.

City have better squad than we do, not by much but still. They don't play good and every time I see them they look like conceding, but somehow they have the best defensive record in the league. I believe they've been quite lucky in that term.

All those clubs have better fullbacks though.
Yes, I agree with most of those.

Our squad is really good this season. Finally!
City's squad is slightly better overall than us, it's just their form that is terrible this season. Some players may be declining which is great.
Spurs is heavily dependent on Kane and Son in attacks, while Hojbjerg and Lloris are the only two positives at defense. Yeah, their squad is not really that good, but Mou's defensive and counter-attacks set-up covered a lot of their defensive flaws and other weaknesses when attacking.

I still think our LB department is the best.