United squad against Spurs and City

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Which best 11 would you guys pick from all three team?
It's a tough one, all 3 GK's are about the same. None have any amazing CB's and no have a DM capable of holding the fort to allow both Bruno and De Bruyne to play. You're along the right lines though with only the LB I would disagree. Mine would look something like this

-----------------???-----------------
Walker--???--???---Reguilon
-----------------???-----------------
--Fernandes--De Bruyne--
Son----------Kane----------Rashford

Strelok

But they finished 7th last year, us being above them and out performing them isnt a run of form. Its gone on for too long at this stage
As I said points and position have so many factors in that. One of those is the manager. It's not like you finished second means you have the 2nd best squad in the league.

For me it's pretty simple. Imo we have a pretty equal keeper and defense. But:

Midfield: pretty similar but if you count Bruno in the midfield then we have a better one.

Attack: this is where the gap is. Kane and Son are really good as you can see in the chart I posted above. They've been consistently very good for years. And we have no good RW.

If we can sign a good RW then I'd say we have an equally good squad with Spurs. The gap in the midfield (Bruno) would make up for the gap in attacking quality (Son and Kane). Until so, imo Spurs still have a better squad.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

As I said points and position have so many factors in that. One of those is the manager. It's not like you finished second means you have the 2nd best squad in the league.

For me it's pretty simple. Imo we have a pretty equal keeper and defense. But:

Midfield: pretty similar but if you count Bruno in the midfield then we have a better one.

Attack: this is where the gap is. Kane and Son are really good as you can see in the chart I posted above. They've been consistently very good for years. And we have no good RW.

If we can sign a good RW than I'd say we have an equally good squad with Spurs. The gap in the midfield (Bruno) would make up for the gap in attacking quality (Son and Kane). Until so, imo Spurs still have a better squad.
I believe that Rashford is equal to Son, but Kane is superior to Martial. Bruno helps make up the difference however. Both sides RW are under par, although an in form Greenwood is better than anything Spurs have there.

Strelok

I believe that Rashford is equal to Son, but Kane is superior to Martial. Bruno helps make up the difference however. Both sides RW are under par, although an in form Greenwood is better than anything Spurs have there.
Our RWs are not even PL material. Greenwood will be a brilliant #9 but he's not yet, and he's not a winger. His game is too simple and limited to be a good winger.

And no, Rashford is not equal to Son. If Son is 10 I'd give Rashford 7 maybe 7.5. If Kane is 10 I'd give Martial 6. If Bruno is 10 I'd give Ndombele 7 (or 6 because he can play only 65'). I haven't seen much of Lo Celso to give him a rating.

P/s: to Spurs and neutral fans: I'm a huge fan of Rashford, Martial and Bruno so I maybe a bit biased.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Our RWs are not even PL material. Greenwood will be a brilliant #9 but he's not yet, and he's not a winger. His game is too simple and limited to be a good winger.

And no, Rashford is not equal to Son. If Son is 10 I'd give Rashford 7 maybe 7.5. If Kane is 10 I'd give Martial 6. If Bruno is 10 I'd give Ndombele 7 or 6 because he can play only 65'. I haven't seen much of Lo Celso to give him a rating.
I think you are massively overstating the difference between Son and Rashford and this is the crux of why I would disagree with you over the respective strength of both teams. It's a game of opinions though, so fully respect yours.

Just to add, fully agree with you that Greenwood is a striker and a damn good one potentially. However, I still feel he is the best RW both sides have.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Individually weaker than Liverpool and City and on par with Spurs and Chelsea

Overall weaker than Liverpool, and on par with the others. All of city, spurs, united and chelsea have clear major flaws(finishing for City and Chelsea, defence for Spurs, mental strength for United)

Strelok

I think you are massively overstating the difference between Son and Rashford and this is the crux of why I would disagree with you over the respective strength of both teams. It's a game of opinions though, so fully respect yours.

Just to add, fully agree with you that Greenwood is a striker and a damn good one potentially. However, I still feel he is the best RW both sides have.
Yeah agree it's a game of opinions and of course I respect yours as well.

Our Rashford, for all his pace doesn't often get things right and can't shoot or pass well with his left. Son, meanwhile does often get things right and can shoot and pass more than well with his left. And he can get goals out of nothing while our Rashford often turns goals to nothing. That's the biggest difference between those two I think. On a second thought I might be too generous with my rating for Rashford.

Last edited:

Mcking

We've definitely got some very good players. Tottenham rely so much on Son and Kane, and Man City aren't what they used to be.

Looking solely at regular starters, Tottenham have the best keeper imo, but I'd have City defenders as the best individually, closely followed by ours and then Tottenham.

Man City have the best midfield, followed by us and then Tottenham. Think we'd be closer to Man City though if we could find some balance and get Pogba and Fernandes in the team regularly.

Tottenham have the best forwards thanks to having the best two forwards across the sides. It's touch and go between ours and City especially without a firing Aguero. Jesus, Sterling, Torres aren't exactly an inspiring lot.

Looking at cover and squad players, I'd say it's pretty close between the two sides. Not sure what happened to Man City. Overall it's pretty close as well, but think City edges it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Interesting thread, wonder if anyone changed opinion now.

When this thread was created, Spurs were in first position, 7 points ahead of us having played 1 game more. Scored 21 goals compared to 13 for us. Conceded 9 goals compared to 14 for us.

Since this thread was created, ManUtd and Spurs played 5 games. ManUtd won 13 points, scoring 15 goals and conceding just 7 goals.

Spurs won 5 points, scoring 4 goals and conceding 5.

Not bad for a team with so many players who wouldn't make Spurs first 11.
Or may be give the manager some credit. City have much more quality, but our manager utilises his players better. Spurs has only Son, Kane & Reguilon who are obvious upgrade to our XI, while most of the rest are not upgrade or 50:50 to ours.