Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickson

You said he made a perfect team developing his existing players, he didn’t. He needed to buy his own, and like I said no matter the price, they were good players who most would have here.
None of his buys were deemed world-class. He developed them. Klopp has done a job Ole can only dream on. Don't even compare them.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
None of his buys were deemed world-class. He developed them. Klopp has done a job Ole can only dream on. Don't even compare them.
Never did compare them, you are.

Of course he bought star players ffs

Amir

You said he made a perfect team developing his existing players, he didn’t. He needed to buy his own, and like I said no matter the price, they were good players who most would have here.
Fine. He made a perfect team by developing players he bought. I didn't honestly that players like Wijnaldum or Robertson weren't there beforehand.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Fine. He made a perfect team by developing players he bought. I didn't honestly that players like Wijnaldum or Robertson weren't there beforehand.
I agree he made a perfect team by developing the players he bought, they all fitted perfectly.

wijnaldum I agree with you, Robertson I thought looked good and had potential at hull, he was a player I would have liked us to buy long before Liverpool bought him.

Jezpeza

He didnt sign henderson, Gomez or Firmino. The rest of that 11 cost 281.39m.

thats not counting the money spent on oxlade chamberlain, keita, matip, thiago, jota, tsimikas, shaqiri.

Thats more than Ole has had to spend. All hail Klopp, the developer of existing players. He loves developing them so much, there are now only 4 players left in his 29 man squad he didnt sign or promote from youth team.

the rubbish some on here will talk to bash Ole is stupid.

FatherWolff

Absolutely world class man and squad management today! You won’t find anything like it for the future of any club. World Class!

Crashoutcassius

Saw that ole has lost the least games of any manager in Europe's top five leagues in last 12 months today. 4 games. Signed one player that actually impacts the first team in that time. Up and downs but I'm enjoying the ride, don't think I'm the only one

Skåre Willoch

Wait, what? Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho (Thiago?) weren’t deemed world class?! Maybe not by you, but they were by a whole lot of people. Maybe not World XI, but there are more world class players than 1 in each position.

Foxbatt

He did what he had to do today and gave the youngsters a chance too. Now he needs to win against Chelsea.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wait, what? Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho (Thiago?) weren’t deemed world class?! Maybe not by you, but they were by a whole lot of people. Maybe not World XI, but there are more world class players than 1 in each position.
All 3 of then were a laughing stock when he signed them.

We laughed at them lot when they spunk millions for those 3. The thread is still here

Alison who?
Vvd for 70m?
Fabinho? Glad we got fred instead.

Certainly no where rated as good buys let alone world class

Raven

We laughed at them lot when they spunk millions for those 3. The thread is still here

Alison who?
Vvd for 70m?

Laughing stock? Mental.

Alison was known as a top level keeper for at least 2 or 3 seasons before joining Liverpool, one of if not the best in Italy I think?

VVD, while the price was high, was incredibly highly rated for years, there were talks of big clubs signing him for decent money way back when he was at Celtic.

Fabinho was excellent and coveted by many United fans, myself included while he was at Monaco. A team that reached the semi finals (possibly QFs) of the champions league, an extremely highly rated player.

The only laughable thing would to be to call those signings laughable, everybody knew they were class then.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Alison who?
Vvd for 70m?

That just sounds like your opinion. Vvd was the only one the majority laughed at and that was due to the price tag, you can check the Alison thread if you like, I said he was better than De Gea back then. You'll also find posts by many who were demanding Fabinho and thought he was a great buy for Liverpool.

Klopps a great manager and whoever was in charge for bringing those players in deserve huge credit, but they were all well known high quality players.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Laughing stock? Mental.

Alison was known as a top level keeper for at least 2 or 3 seasons before joining Liverpool, one of if not the best in Italy I think?

VVD, while the price was high, was incredibly highly rated for years, there were talks of big clubs signing him for decent money way back when he was at Celtic.

Fabinho was excellent and coveted by many United fans, myself included while he was at Monaco. A team that reached the semi finals (possibly QFs) of the champions league, an extremely highly rated player.

The only laughable thing would to be to call those signings laughable, everybody knew they were class then.
I based that on our very own thread. Just dig them

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That just sounds like your opinion. Vvd was the only one the majority laughed at and that was due to the price tag, you can check the Alison thread if you like, I said he was better than De Gea back then. You'll also find posts by many who were demanding Fabinho and thought he was a great buy for Liverpool.

Klopps a great manager and whoever was in charge for bringing those players in deserve huge credit, but they were all well known high quality players.
High quality? Yes. Very good players at best. But nowhere near as sure success.

Klopp is a good manager. Dont want him at united due to him managing liverpool.

But let's not kid ourselves those 3 are world class when he bought them

Matriac

Very solid job by him today.
Set up us strongly from start so that there would be no doubt, but we never had to work hard either, while still managing to rest some key players as well. Many complained about us playing Bruno, but with all the injuries there was no one else that could play there. (I initially wanted Mata there, but he wasn't available).
Had they scored on the pen they might have tried to push more for it, so I'm glad we didn't have a bunch of kids on the field in the first half. I always wanted us to make first half a snoozefest so that Real Sociedad would mentally give up. You could see that they actually did try a bit at first, so starting a weaker team than we did would have been naive.

Also lots of complaints about 3 keepers on the bench, but that was just done for fun, there was nobody else we could put on there (we even had room for 1 more, 12 in Europe compared to 9 in the Prem). Every other senior player had some form of injury, and from the U-23 Mejbri is injured as well. We couldn't easily add anyone else like we normally could when there's no pandemic since they have to transfer between isolation-bubbles and be ineligible to train with the rest of their U-23 squad for a long period just to sit on our bench. Be glad we have 3-4 of them at all training with the senior squad.

Great in-game management. Putting on Rashford at half-time made sense as there weren't much attacking quality left when Bruno was taken off. And we got to rest 3 starters for Sunday with just one half under their belt.
We got to give two kids a decent chunk of minutes, both looks very promising, but didn't produce very big things, so saddling them with a full game at this point would be harsh. Even broke an all-time record of youngest United player in Europe.
Finished the game with 5 out of 10 outfield players (+ the keeper) from our academy.

Nothing flashy today, but this was always going to be a going through the motions thing. I'm glad we controlled it and never made it interesting, the whole team should be fit for Sunday since nobody really worked up a sweat. (Though maybe Martial took that part a bit too far.)

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

missing the point really. The rest of the team was double stacked. He had one make shift player at left back. Boohoo when you have prime aguero, KDB, Silva, Kompany etc.

no way out of it. We are 4 players short of a good enough first 11 to challenge for PL, CL. Regardless of manager. I am saying that we dont have a right winger. At all. We dont have a cdm who can play 30+ Games. At all. We dont have a good enough centre back next to maguire. We dont have a 25 goal plus striker. At all.

it just doesnt matter who manages us at the moment. The idea that any manager takes this current team to 90+ points is completely stupid, as are people who blame that on Ole. And We should give him a perfect squad yes. For two reasons -

a) I believe we will close the gap with him as manager and the right players to finish the job. This is the best shape our squad has been in since SAF retired.

b) Even if he is replaced it leaves a complete toolbox for the next manager to start with.

its quite honestly delusional for any fan to think that any manager is coming in here and doing much differently to what we are doing now. That a different manager wins the league with these 20 odd players.
There's no toolbox to be completed if we're signing Maguire, VDB and AWB for 170 million. Go on and act like signings aren't one of his biggest responsibilities.

Btw coaches have different styles. What you might see as a complete toolbox for one, isnt the case for the other.

RooneyLegend

City have had tons of money before, but were never dominant. What took them to the next level was the addition of Guardiola's coaching. And still, with a more "human" budget, Liverpool matched them one season and took the title the next (when City's form dropped, admittedly, but Liverpool could have beaten prime City that season as well).

So as good as City are, they won't be as good every season from now on. It's also possible to match them. We may not have City's money, but we're one of very few clubs with good spending money. Add quality coaching and good planning to that, and I don't see why we can't compete. As good as City can be, they can't win more than 114 points.

When Arsenal and Wenger lifted the bar, we rose up to it. When Chelsea and Mourinho did it, we rose up to it. Now people are giving up.
They are giving up as if we don't know all of this that you've written. Sir Alex literally chased Chelsea down without a budget. It's just excuses for our limited manager. The playing field hs never been level financially and we're honestly entirely too rich to complain about money.

hungrywing

Sorry mate but I think that's absolutely non sense. How do you rate mentality and ego?
You watch the player. Do they fight for every single ball. Do they fight intelligently. Do they fight till the end. Does their head ever drop when they fail. Do they ever fight too much.

Of course, you actually have to be able to recognize the above things, but bottom line: if you tick the first four and not the fifth (and then some other key things as well) you're a person who will do whatever it takes to win*. And this is how you get things like Sheringham/Yorke, for example. HAAAAAAAATE each other off the pitch but on the pitch they have only one shared purpose. Rooney on the left? No problem, boss. Martial on the left? Sulky McSulkster. Pogba being played deeper when he wants to play #10? An attitude of 'Nah, I'm not gonna even really try - then they'll see how important I am to the team'.

Both Martial and Pogba would fail several of those first four items, if not all of them.

Posted about this years ago. SAF signed players who were win-at-all-costs-including-personal/"warriors" first and good footballers second.

* Major ultra important Note: In any organization, it's also important to weed out the negative 'will do anything to win' people.

Jezpeza

There's no toolbox to be completed if we're signing Maguire, VDB and AWB for 170 million. Go on and act like signings aren't one of his biggest responsibilities.

Btw coaches have different styles. What you might see as a complete toolbox for one, isnt the case for the other.
Maguire and AWB are good signings. They just have to be ‘shit and overpriced’ to many in order to bash Ole. Its fine anyway. He’ll be here for a long time anyway so feck the style of any other coach anyway.

Matriac

Maguire and AWB are good signings. They just have to be ‘shit and overpriced’ to many in order to bash Ole. Its fine anyway. He’ll be here for a long time anyway so feck the style of any other coach anyway.
Ya, personally I missed Maguire last night, I mean, had he played instead of Lindelöf we would have scored! :wenger: :lol:
But yeah, he has a composure that makes me calmer to have on field whenever Bailly is dribbling 2 players towards our own goal.
(But since the game didn't really matter it was fine that he sat out.)

And I love AWB, he makes me not really fear any winger in the world coming down his side as I know he'll come up with a magic tackle. He's improved his attacking play while here as well, getting assists and some goals. Last night he dribbled in between 2 players like it was no big deal as well. I think we'll see an even better attacking spider once he gets to work with a proper winger like Shaw gets with Rashford. If that will be Amad or if we need someone like Sancho while Amad matures remains to be seen.

They cost a decent chunk, but it was supply and demand for what was available in the market at the time. We were due to remove several older players with Homegrown status as well, so it was important to find some core players that qualify as HG and were likely to stay with us a long time. That adds to the price a bit.

Jezpeza

Ya, personally I missed Maguire last night, I mean, had he played instead of Lindelöf we would have scored! :wenger: :lol:
But yeah, he has a composure that makes me calmer to have on field whenever Bailly is dribbling 2 players towards our own goal.
(But since the game didn't really matter it was fine that he sat out.)

And I love AWB, he makes me not really fear any winger in the world coming down his side as I know he'll come up with a magic tackle. He's improved his attacking play while here as well, getting assists and some goals. Last night he dribbled in between 2 players like it was no big deal as well. I think we'll see an even better attacking spider once he gets to work with a proper winger like Shaw gets with Rashford. If that will be Amad or if we need someone like Sancho while Amad matures remains to be seen.

They cost a decent chunk, but it was supply and demand for what was available in the market at the time. We were due to remove several older players with Homegrown status as well, so it was important to find some core players that qualify as HG and were likely to stay with us a long time. That adds to the price a bit.
i agree. People need to get out of this fifa mindset that x amount of money gets y overall rating. The premier league is worst to buy from. If you notice, no other teams apart from Real, Barca and Bayern can afford to buy prime players from the league.

we paid a premium for maguire. Leicester didnt need to sell. Same as AWB. But we also needed players who would hit the ground running and were proven and acclimatised in this league. Not more bailly, lindelof, darmian type deadwood.

i detest the pathetic idea posed by some that theres a reincarnation of Rio Ferdinand playing in the russian second division we could secretlly sign for 80 pence who would prove to be the best defender in the league once brought here but we dont because we ‘have no scouting’. We tried that policy of scouting for lesser known players, spunking 83.7 million on Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo. Theres the money to buy any cb we like wasted in that 83.7 million, on two crocks and a mediocre liability.

Caesar2290

I like Ole. I like what he's done with our team, but there's one thing that gets me every fecking time. It's his stubburness.

Oh both Lindelof and Maguire look better when they play alongside a pacy CB. Well, better play them together again in the next match.
Oh our defense looks calmer and more assured when Henderson is in goal. That's good and all, but DDG will start no matter what.
Oh we have a No.9 that makes Nani look like Park Ji Sung. Well, better give him as much playing time as possible.
Oh so Maguire, Lindeloff, Bruno and Rashford are starting to look tired from the constant game time and lack of a break. Well, better play them in as many matches as possible.

It's stuff like this that does my head in.

Mickson

Liverpool's scouting department having better judgement than laughing Caf posters shocker.
The point I made was that they weren't deemed world-class. No one said VVD at Southampton was WORLD CLASS. Neither did anyone say about Salah, Mané, Fimino, well maybe Allison but I doubt it. They were good players but the initial point made was that Klopp has developed almost every player at Liverpool. It's not like they signed Pogba, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

Dr. StrangeHate

He'll be gone by this time next year.
On the contrary Ole is a decent coach. With the squad we have already and future budget, we should remain in Top 4 under a decent coach for the foreseeable future. This is what our owners aim is too, so I think he will stay with us like Wenger stayed with Arsenal.

Matriac

I like Ole. I like what he's done with our team, but there's one thing that gets me every fecking time. It's his stubburness.

Oh both Lindelof and Maguire look better when they play alongside a pacy CB. Well, better play them together again in the next match.
Oh our defense looks calmer and more assured when Henderson is in goal. That's good and all, but DDG will start no matter what.
Oh we have a No.9 that makes Nani look like Park Ji Sung. Well, better give him as much playing time as possible.
Oh so Maguire, Lindeloff, Bruno and Rashford are starting to look tired from the constant game time and lack of a break. Well, better play them in as many matches as possible.

It's stuff like this that does my head in.
Maguire and Lindelöf are to some extent reliable, with Bailly being very injury-prone and needs to be managed correctly for us to get the most use out of all 3. We don't have a lot of options for CB's at the moment, which is hopefully fixed in the summer (which was always the plan, we never planned to buy a CB last summer as many think. Just look at statements made in interviews).

Henderson mostly plays against easier opponents, so that could be a factor for why the defense looks better. But yes he is more active in the field, though doesn't have the same shotstopping magic as De Gea if he's up to his best. Yes, something most likely has to happen next season, but we locked down Hendo with a big contract and even if he's unhappy he can't easily leave in the summer. Transitioning keepers are never easy, and it's a role that usually demands continued support instead of going back and forth. Usually the older keeper is given preference unless theres total collapse.

Of course he isn't happy with how Martial is performing, which is evident by Cavani starting the important games whenever he is fit.
Martial gets minutes because of squad management and making sure we have enough players for all positions through a season. Will be interesting to see if something can be done in the summer. I fear that due to covid it might be hard to sell him this summer, or even bring in a replacement (especially if we plan to wait for and try for Haaland). Maybe Greenwood can bulk up a bit more in the summer to feature more often as CF. (When Amad and maybe an addition is ready to play RW more often.)

We might think they look tired, but I trust the coaching team to know their fitness better than we do from the outside. Bruno usually plays worse after sitting out, and even when they have an off-day both he and Marcus are capable of producing magical moments out of nowhere, so it's understandable that they are kept on. They are rested when we can, but as we are in all cups for a long time we have a lot more games to play than most other clubs in the league.
Again we don't have a lot of proper CB options so Maguire and Lindelöf has to play a lot now, at least Maguire never really looks tired to me.

Skåre Willoch

The point I made was that they weren't deemed world-class. No one said VVD at Southampton was WORLD CLASS. Neither did anyone say about Salah, Mané, Fimino, well maybe Allison but I doubt it. They were good players but the initial point made was that Klopp has developed almost every player at Liverpool. It's not like they signed Pogba, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc.
Again, you’re basing this on the opinion of (some) fans on this forum.

I remember Fabinho and Alisson were both rated in the world class category in their respective positions by a whole lot of people, both football fans (of any team), pundits and journalists.
Obviously they weren’t rated as Mbappe and Neymar, but that has nothing to do with it, really. There are more world class players than 1 per position, and both Fabinho and Alisson were definitely (at least very close to) world class options at CDM and GK before they signed for Liverpool. If you never watched Monaco and/or Serie A, and you’re basing your opinion on the RAWK-thread on the caf, its no wonder you believe otherwise.

When they signed Alisson, the general consensus was that “He might be the final piece to the puzzle, magnificent and smart signing. Just what they need.”

Obviously not on the Caf, but I think you know deep inside that many/most of us aren’t objective when analyzing Liverpool players and signings. It’s more fun and less painful to laugh at them than to face reality.

Mickson

Again, you’re basing this on the opinion of (some) fans on this forum.

I remember Fabinho and Alisson were both rated in the world class category in their respective positions by a whole lot of people, both football fans (of any team), pundits and journalists.
Obviously they weren’t rated as Mbappe and Neymar, but that has nothing to do with it, really. There are more world class players than 1 per position, and both Fabinho and Alisson were definitely (at least very close to) world class options at CDM and GK before they signed for Liverpool. If you never watched Monaco and/or Serie A, and you’re basing your opinion on the RAWK-thread on the caf, its no wonder you believe otherwise.

When they signed Alisson, the general consensus was that “He might be the final piece to the puzzle, magnificent and smart signing. Just what they need.”

Obviously not on the Caf, but I think you know deep inside that many/most of us aren’t objective when analyzing Liverpool players and signings. It’s more fun and less painful to laugh at them than to face reality.
No, I don't, I'm basing that what the general football fan said at the time. Sorry man but no way people said that some Southampton, Hoffenheim etc players were world-class. As I said, I will give Allison the benefit of the doubt but not the others.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
On the contrary Ole is a decent coach. With the squad we have already and future budget, we should remain in Top 4 under a decent coach for the foreseeable future. This is what our owners aim is too, so I think he will stay with us like Wenger stayed with Arsenal.
So we have turned in to Tottenham now have we.

Skåre Willoch

No, I don't, I'm basing that what the general football fan said at the time. Sorry man but no way people said that some Southampton, Hoffenheim etc players were world-class. As I said, I will give Allison the benefit of the doubt but not the others.
Please stop with the straw man nonesense. I’ve never said Firmino was rated as world class. I specifically highlighted three (four if including Thiago) players who were rated as world class, or very close to, by a whole lot of people. If I meant Firmino as well, I would’ve mentioned him.

But since you’re at it, I can specify that I don’t think Minamino, Kabak or Ox were world class signings either. You know, before you use them against me.

FatherWolff

Supporting the manager is one thing, but this kind of hyperbole makes you sound delusional.
Dont really care.. The level of youth involvement last night was top class. You won’t find anything like it. I didn’t even care if we didn’t score. Oles man and squad management is one of the best in the world. End of..

Status
Not open for further replies.