Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetoTTT

I think OGS had enough of all the "bottling it in the semis" thing then he proved us wrong yesterday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lukaku might be performing well for Inter, but for us he was inconsistent for two years, and didn't do enough to be our first choice no. 9.

The mistake wasn't selling him, but not replacing him.

Smalling would leave us unable to play out from the back. Today every top team play out from the back.
Martial Rashford were inconsistent too. Ole came in and immediately put Lukaku (a sttriker) out wide in order to first try Rashford as 9 then Martial. Both seem to have failed and whilst he did that he obviously strained the relationship with Lukaku hence his sale.

I had no issue with his sale, but he then should have been replaced with a top striker. Selling him to try Rashford and Martial as 9 was clearly a mistake

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm still angry at yesterday game.
Why did he give rest to Shaw and Bruno and McTom? He had a perfect opportunity in the second leg against that Spanish side we beat. Like why the hell rest players before international break? :rolleyes:
Only Bruno played out of those and he was taken off at half time.

There we go, he’s not as stupid as you think .

tomaldinho1

Semantics. You think anybody is implying that Ole’s already had a great side and is currently doing a re-build? No, the re-build refers to restoring United as we’ve known it since the Premiership started.
I made explicit point that I was not talking about Ole but you couldn't help yourself.

Regardless, your response highlights the exact problem. It would be like Liverpool being in a thirty year rebuild, it's not logical and is constantly dragging us backward in time, away from innovation and forward thinking. Why on earth would we want to return to the "United as we've known it since the PL started" that's literally decades worth of different teams most of whom played now antiquated football, it makes no sense.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Vultures have found their voice again

Ogden is not wrong though, i think Ole's words have been blown out of proportion but really for SAF it didn't matter what we were winning as longs we were wining. That 2006 league cup we ridiculed for year was a catalyst for a fantastic team that won so much in the late 00'.

Fooza

Do you know how many times SAF lost points after an away game in Europe?

Look it up, think about it, come back and make a new post.

This isnt a computer game
Results don't matter to me, its about the fundamental basics of giving it all, yesterday the players played like they just didn't care and having played Europa isn't a good excuse (half the players didn't even play that game). We may have lost points under SAF but the team would give it their all especially in cup competitions.

Thanks for the nonsense about computer games though, had a good chuckle.

James35

Ole isn't going anywhere unless we royally feck up getting top 4 and do not win the Europa league. He will only last another season in my opinion as I do not believe we will buy the players good enough to cancel out Oles limitations as a manager.

He has brought in Maguire, AWB, James, Van De Beek, Cavani, Ighalo, Telles and Bruno - yes not really elite signings bar Bruno. He inherited his favourites McTominay, Fred and Lindelof plus quality players like Pogba, Shaw, De Gea, Martial and Rashford (and the emergence of Greenwood, which can be credited to Ole just like McTominay to Jose) but still he needs more time after nearly 2.5 years in the job, 2 as permanent manager.

Jose, who deserved the sack, got us 2nd with 81 points and to an FA Cup final in 2018. He got us the League Cup, Europa titles and 69 points in 2017 but finished outside of top 4 in 6th but we still got CL.

He lost a total of 16 games in 90 league games. Ole has lost 18 in 89 games. Jose had a record of 1.95 points per game, Ole has 1.83 (he has improved on LVG though who had a ppg of 1.79, however he did win us the FA Cup)

Ole does have a better league goals difference mind at plus 65 compared to Jose plus 57 - hardly a massive difference considering we now play the United way under Ole.

Many call this progress apparently, it's definitely progress for the board financially as they pay Ole a hell of a lot less.

Jose did spend about 100m more but that was basically Pogba, a player very important to our team and Ole. So overall we just have a nicer guy in charge who happens to be a club legend (DNA bla bla blah) but is still a lesser manager than the way past his best, egomaniac Jose.

Ole needs to win something next year or he needs to go regardless of just finishing in top 4, very good managers are not unicorns they do exist. City, Chelsea and even Leicester have sacked managers who won them league titles. Why should we keep one who wins us as of yet, nothing at all. If he wins the Europa that will at least be a valid reason to keep him on, not just a second place in a below par Premier League where most besides City have had a bit of a mare.

Ole says progress is finishing higher in the league than previous season and not really about Cup wins, that's fair enough then if we can also class not finishing first next year as a lack of progress should we indeed finish 2nd this season.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

The last two years have been utterly horrible. If City now wins it all it is the worst season since SAF. Even Moyes season was better.
We just let our rivals wins all the big things and almost accept it as ok standards.

Berbasbullet

They didnt look exhausted to me.
Do you have access to fitness trackers?
Do you?

I’m just going off what the manager did/said. (“It caught up with us, all the games and travel”)

I assume you have direct access to their fitness as you are so definitively saying they should have played.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even since SAF left, the best moments have been the 3 "major" trophies we've won. Nothing else. No one off performances which temporarily derailed our big rivals. No finishing "best of the rest".
No they haven't. FA Cup win - yes and that was because of Lingard scoring that beauty and we were down to 10, but I've enjoyed the PSG win, wins vs City last year (both Home and away), and a few other games a lot more.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ole isn't going anywhere unless we royally feck up getting top 4 and do not win the Europa league. He will only last another season in my opinion as I do not believe we will buy the players good enough to cancel out Oles limitations as a manager.

He has brought in Maguire, AWB, James, Van De Beek, Cavani, Ighalo, Telles and Bruno - yes not really elite signings bar Bruno. He inherited his favourites McTominay, Fred and Lindelof plus quality players like Pogba, Shaw, De Gea, Martial and Rashford (and the emergence of Greenwood, which can be credited to Ole just like McTominay to Jose) but still he needs more time after nearly 2.5 years in the job, 2 as permanent manager.

Jose, who deserved the sack, got us 2nd with 81 points and to an FA Cup final in 2018. He got us the League Cup, Europa titles and 69 points in 2017 but finished outside of top 4 in 6th but we still got CL.

He lost a total of 16 games in 90 league games. Ole has lost 18 in 89 games. Jose had a record of 1.95 points per game, Ole has 1.83 (he has improved on LVG though who had a ppg of 1.79, however he did win us the FA Cup)

Ole does have a better league goals difference mind at plus 65 compared to Jose plus 57 - hardly a massive difference considering we now play the United way under Ole.

Many call this progress apparently, it's definitely progress for the board financially as they pay Ole a hell of a lot less.

Jose did spend about 100m more but that was basically Pogba, a player very important to our team and Ole. So overall we just have a nicer guy in charge who happens to be a club legend (DNA bla bla blah) but is still a lesser manager than the way past his best, egomaniac Jose.

Ole needs to win something next year or he needs to go regardless of just finishing in top 4, very good managers are not unicorns they do exist. City, Chelsea and even Leicester have sacked managers who won them league titles. Why should we keep one who wins us as of yet, nothing at all. If he wins the Europa that will at least be a valid reason to keep him on, not just a second place in a below par Premier League where most besides City have had a bit of a mare.

Ole says progress is finishing higher in the league than previous season and not really about Cup wins, that's fair enough then if we can also class not finishing first next year as a lack of progress should we indeed finish 2nd this season.
Good post

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Results don't matter to me, its about the fundamental basics of giving it all, yesterday the players played like they just didn't care and having played Europa isn't a good excuse (half the players didn't even play that game). We may have lost points under SAF but the team would give it their all especially in cup competitions.

Thanks for the nonsense about computer games though, had a good chuckle.
Nah mate, there were a few instances where the team just didn't look up for it under SAF and we'd get pasted. This was our first away loss in 30 matches.

Berbasbullet

my point exactly. your guess is as good as mine. For me it's weird that these players played so many minutes and Ole decides to rest in a cup-game.
Not really Sunny Jim.

As I pointed out in the edit I made, the manager even said that the games have caught up with the players.

Not to mention it’s just common sense that there will be tiredness after playing in Milan on a Thursday and away to Leicester on a Sunday in a season where we have averaged a game every 3-4 days (look historically at results after a European mid week game). It’s not exactly unreasonable to want to freshen things up.

But maybe you know something I don’t.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The last two years have been utterly horrible. If City now wins it all it is the worst season since SAF. Even Moyes season was better.
We just let our rivals wins all the big things and almost accept it as ok standards.
:lol:

We went from champions to 7th that season. Don't be silly.

Cassidy

Not really Sunny Jim.

As I pointed out in the edit I made, the manager even said that the games have caught up with the players.

Not to mention it’s just common sense that there will be tiredness after playing in Milan on a Thursday and away to Leicester on a Sunday in a season where we have averaged a game every 3-4 days (look historically at results after a European mid week game). It’s not exactly unreasonable to want to freshen things up.

But maybe you know something I don’t.
Due to his lack of effective rotation prior

Paul_Scholes18

We went from champions to 7th that season. Don't be silly.
We put up better fight in the league and did better in CL.

It was a terrible year, but had more hope than this year.

Also we had Gerrard slip as a highlight at least.

Plus Moyes got fired and gave us some hope.

This year everything is totally dark so far unless we win Europa and Dortmund smash City.

Cassidy

This year everything is totally dark so far unless we win Europa and Dortmund smash City.
Better fight in the league?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No they haven't. FA Cup win - yes and that was because of Lingard scoring that beauty and we were down to 10, but I've enjoyed the PSG win, wins vs City last year (both Home and away), and a few other games a lot more.
You enjoyed those more than picking up the Europa, which in turn got us into CL for the next season, against the tragic backdrop of the Manchester bombing? And more than Ibra propelling us to victory in the last few minutes of a league cup final thrilller? I certainly didn't, although I did love the moments you mentioned.

With the potential exception, granted, of the PSG recovery - winning silverware is what lasts the longest and means the most. I'd sacrifice being beaten in games against our biggest rivals if it meant winning the top trophies.

Handré1990

Plus Moyes got fired and gave us some hope.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Are you sure you watched that season? It was depressing and we took serious beatings from City and Liverpool. We didn't put up a better fight in the league, we were miles off the top four never mind the fecking title.

Paul_Scholes18

Better fight in the league?
Maybe not near the end, but we stayed in the race for longer it did feel like.

Then it all went bad in January/February like this year.

Like us and Liverpool was neck to neck at least after half the league pretty much.

Mainoldo

Notice how he says 'differences of coaching/games decisions aside' as if it's just universally accepted now :lol::(
Yeah kind of missing the point there isn’t he. Maybe United should swap teams and we’d be title contenders again.

Berbasbullet

Maybe not near the end, but we stayed in the race for longer it did feel like.

Then it all went bad in January/February like this year.

Like us and Liverpool was neck to neck at least after half the league pretty much.
Honestly I wouldn’t double down on this :lol:

Moyes season better than this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

Are you sure you watched that season? It was depressing and we took serious beatings from City and Liverpool. We didn't put up a better fight in the league, we were miles off the top four never mind the fecking title.
The only difference is that now we are used to bottle things and under Moyes it was a new thing.

I had more hopes Moyes turning us into champions than Ole to be fair. Although little hope with either, but during both seasons it went up and down. Like I got my hopes up this season when we had a nice run before Sheffield. Under Moyes I got the hopes up before christmas when we had a nice run.

MetoTTT

Do you?

I’m just going off what the manager did/said. (“It caught up with us, all the games and travel”)

I assume you have direct access to their fitness as you are so definitively saying they should have played.
Rashford has played injured all the season (shoulder) and played vs Milan with a second one.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Point stands. They should have started yesterday.
All agendas aside, and everything being equal, why do you think that he didn't start those players yesterday? I can only think of the following possible options

• He doesn't care at all about winning the FA Cup
  • He wanted those players to be fit for International duty
  • He was trying to be clever with his team selection
  • The internal data they had available with regards to player fitness suggested that those players were overly fatigued and needed to start on the bench

The first two are obviously ridiculous and not worth considering.

The third option is certainly possible and not to be ruled out, but then we often speak of the need for squad rotation on here and we've just come off of a run of City A (must win), Milan H (must win), West Ham H (must win) & Milan A (must win). That on top of the recent injury issues that have forced us to play, basically, what we had available ruled out any realistic options for rotation until yesterday

The fourth option makes the most sense to me

Status
Not open for further replies.