Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Notice how he says 'differences of coaching/games decisions aside' as if it's just universally accepted now :lol::(
Quite a knee jerk post considering they hadn't beaten us since 15/16 (or was it 14/15).

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I don’t think a new contract is a given anymore, and to an extent I don’t think his job is safe.

Exiting the FA Cup like that, when we had the “easiest” route to the final will hurt.
The way we stumbled out of the title race in January.

Ole is once again showing that when we are in sight of something wonderful, he bottles under the pressure. I have no idea why he decided to drop our two best players in a FA Cup quarter final. He definitely needs a second place finish and in my eyes, needs to win the Europa League to have no question marks over his head. Whether we like it or not, we are the Europa League favourites. If we lose to Granada, I feel he should not be offered a new contract and there will be a debate whether he should be dismissed in the summer. If we lose in the semi or the final, then once again - there will be question marks on whether he has what it takes to get us over the duck. He’s had ample opportunities in semi finals, and our ineptness of unable to progress beyond a semi final is starting to see like a plague that is fixed onto Ole unfortunately.

I haven’t given up on him but irregardless of how impressive our away form has been, our run since our fall in January is incredibly disappointing. This whole post is also completely neglecting the extremely obvious points that we still look incredibly clueless in terms of style, and his inability to manage substitutions.

Eriku

I made explicit point that I was not talking about Ole but you couldn't help yourself.

Regardless, your response highlights the exact problem. It would be like Liverpool being in a thirty year rebuild, it's not logical and is constantly dragging us backward in time, away from innovation and forward thinking. Why on earth would we want to return to the "United as we've known it since the PL started" that's literally decades worth of different teams most of whom played now antiquated football, it makes no sense.
But you couldn’t help yourself... what on earth are you trying to achieve by insisting on that sort of tone? Just because I mentioned Ole doesn’t mean I’m not grappling with the gist of your general point.

And there’s a big difference between a thirty year re-build and a re-build with a team that has players in the squad who actually saw us win league titles. Those are fading fast but the point still stands, Fergie’s legacy was torn down, Ole’s attempting a re-build. We can disagree about labels, but that would just be semantics, as I said.

MetoTTT

Like it or not, we have become Arsenal under Wenger.
This 100%. The owners not interessed to win,to spend money, to bring in competent persons from top to bottom to succeed, to invest and be back on top again. They're doing buiseness, making a lot of money. Ole is perfect for them if Top 4 every season. He's an Yes man who would like to keep his job at any price and please them . Just like final years of Wenger's Arsenal reign. He isn't the biggest problem, far from that but isn't good enough. The sad thing is if he's sacked we'll do circles again, another of 3-4 years rebuild period and not winning EPL or ECL.

Skåre Willoch

Oh come on - it's fecking true!

What are your favourite memories as a Utd fan? I bet 99% of them are those which led to/directly involved winning trophies.

Even since SAF left, the best moments have been the 3 "major" trophies we've won. Nothing else. No one off performances which temporarily derailed our big rivals. No finishing "best of the rest".

You've got to be winning or prioritising winning at this club, end of. We've fallen off so badly if we're putting up with this drivel.
Since SAF left, my favorite moment is beating PSG in 2019, actually. But your point still stands, I guess. We've got to win trophies, and there's only one left for us to win this season.

MattofManchester

I think it's more acceptable to lose and suffer disappointments if we look like a coherent and organized football side, who plays the type of football that, as Ole says, not me, Manchester United "should" play.
Then at least, on the pitch, there is visible progress.

But we don't. We look very similar to how we looked in Jose's second place season and after.
Disjointed and disorganized.

All that talk about attractive football is gone.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wenger is far better than Ole. He didn't need to top the spending charts to get top 4 and play decent football.
It's not even about spending.
Nobody at the club is under any pressure to win things.
Just look at Chelsea, Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve etc after they have a bad season or a bad season by their definition.
Those are clubs that want to win, that feel pressure to win.
We just look like a club comfortable drifting along, as long as we can find any crumbs to call 'progress'.
A few days ago a director said we are enjoying 'phenomenal success'
I am just sad. This club is years away from being successful...years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He lost a total of 16 games in 90 league games. Ole has lost 18 in 89 games. Jose had a record of 1.95 points per game, Ole has 1.83
Surprised to see that.
Our only saving grace is that over the last two years is that our rivals have somehow contrived to be worse.

Nori-

This really isn't about Ole in vs Ole out people. Nobody wants to see him fail, if anything 99.9% of fans would love to see a club legend do well.

It's about his ability as a manager. "Knowing the club" and managing Cardiff/Molde can only get you so far. At some point your ability at managing people and setting up high level tactics is going to be pushed to its limit.

Ole's done a great job in turning around the negativity and slump around the club when Jose left and made some great signings on the way. At this point though I believe he's done as much as he can and if we stick with him, we will never catch up with City or Europes elite.

We should let him finish the season and thank him MASSIVELY for coming in and doing what he's done then bring in a top 5 manager to take us to the next level.

P.s Until then we will continue with Ole IN screaming when he's doing well and Ole OUT screaming when he's doing bad. Sigh.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm honestly sick to death about him talking about tiredness. You'd swear no other big club in history has had to play as many games in a short space of time. It's wheeled out every time we go out of a cup or have a shocker and it stinks of a lack of accountability.

SAFMUTD

Might be because the minute Pep had injuries to Aguero and Laporte, their form dipped insanely. It goes to maybe show, that if Pep doesn't have spectacular players in all positions, he can't make it tick like he is now. Just an idea.
I dont know if you are being sarcastic? but Pep lost Aguero and Laporte this season and his team is in top form. He even lost KDB and sustained the form, so not really getting your point?

Paul_Scholes18

Were likely to end up 2nd or 3rd. How is that worse than seeing the reigning champions end up 7th?
I guess the Mourinho meltdown season is the worst right now although we could be happy with Paris, but got a terrible ending with City and Liverpool getting all trophies. At least Liverpool did not get the league title though so a minor plus, but they got it next year instead.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Probably takes into account the money spent, football played and league positions.
We will always spend more because we're Manchester United but unless we have finished below them or struggle against them like some sort of bogey side I think it's overcooked.

If we wanted the same players Leicester did I'm sure clubs would quote higher fees.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This really isn't about Ole in vs Ole out people. Nobody wants to see him fail, if anything 99.9% of fans would love to see a club legend do well.

It's about his ability as a manager. "Knowing the club" and managing Cardiff/Molde can only get you so far. At some point your ability at managing people and setting up high level tactics is going to be pushed to its limit.

Ole's done a great job in turning around the negativity and slump around the club when Jose left and made some great signings on the way. At this point though I believe he's done as much as he can and if we stick with him, we will never catch up with City or Europes elite.

We should let him finish the season and thank him MASSIVELY for coming in and doing what he's done then bring in a top 5 manager to take us to the next level.

P.s Until then we will continue with Ole IN screaming when he's doing well and Ole OUT screaming when he's doing bad. Sigh.
What is a 'top 5' manager. Where is the rankings list?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I guess the Mourinho meltdown season is the worst right now although we could be happy with Paris, but got a terrible ending with City and Liverpool getting all trophies.
City getting another plastic league trophy does not bother me at all. Had UEFA not been a bunch of corrupt scum and FFP not been a complete joke, they would have been banned from CL this year.

tomaldinho1

But you couldn’t help yourself... what on earth are you trying to achieve by insisting on that sort of tone? Just because I mentioned Ole doesn’t mean I’m not grappling with the gist of your general point.

And there’s a big difference between a thirty year re-build and a re-build with a team that has players in the squad who actually saw us win league titles. Those are fading fast but the point still stands, Fergie’s legacy was torn down, Ole’s attempting a re-build. We can disagree about labels, but that would just be semantics, as I said.
Tone wasn't meant to be off, apologies, just frustrating even when I specifically stated I'm not talking about Ole (as every thread seems to head down this path) you brought him up.

The principle remains the same. It's not semantics because I'm not solely arguing for the use of the word build versus rebuild - my point us our fanbase have latched onto this false idea of United managers somehow being different to every other manager in that the job is implied to be bigger and harder because it's a rebuild. The implication is always harping back to SAF, that we have to rebuild what we were. It's never about moving forwards and trying new things.

Don't you see how crazy that logic is? It's like building a house that is incredible and the best on the street. It towers over the road for decades. After time, however, other houses get extensions and some new builds pop up. They are sleeker, have different designs and people start to think your house is no longer the best, in fact it looks a bit outdated. You then decide to hire three different architects (a recommended local chap who has never worked on a house as big as yours, a semi retired master known for a very specific and different style and the soulless corporate firm who costs the earth but has a great track record ;)) but none work out.

You then hire a builder without any experience close to your house (and who messed a smaller one up down the road) but who worked on the original house. Therefore because you want to rebuild the house as it was before and not spend any more money he's a safe bet, you gave it a crack but turns out these architects cost a lot...it's literally just the Glazer's settling for top four and the rebuild narrative is huge reason they can get away with it.

Karlos PFC

Some posters in here:lol:

First we have to rebuild, then we have to wait the players to reach their peak, then the cups are an ego thing and now accumulated tiredness has caught up.

Pathetic goal post moving from the Ole fan Boys

At what point do the Ole in crowd will turn against our "beloved" manager?

Paul_Scholes18

City getting another plastic league trophy does not bother me at all. Had UEFA not been a bunch of corrupt scum and FFP not been a complete joke, they would have been banned from CL this year.
Well there was little to enjoy that year. City vs Spurs the only big highlight I guess outside PSG, but not a fan of Spurs anyway.

Our early run with Ole was great, but then we failed when it mattered more near the end.

luke511

Having a manager that gets the absolute most out of his players would potentially add hundreds of millions to the club's squad value. Having a bad manager in charge of a strong but young squad is financial suicide. Looking forward to the day the penny drops.

SuperiorXI

Why did he bring Pogba and VDB off when we were chasing a goal, but leave our worst player on the pitch? Has this been explained yet? Genuinely cannot fathom that decision.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm honestly sick to death about him talking about tiredness. You'd swear no other big club in history has had to play as many games in a short space of time. It's wheeled out every time we go out of a cup or have a shocker and it stinks of a lack of accountability.
Since December 2nd we've played 32 matches in 110 days, or 15.5 weeks. Not a single week without a midweek fixture.

Now, I couldn't say for sure that no other team in history has ever had a congested fixture list quite like it, maybe they have, but to have that without any pre-season and a shorter-than-everyone-else summer break? That's a unique situation.

You might be sick to death of hearing about it, and it probably does get pedalled around a lot more after a loss, but that doesn't make it any less true. These players are human beings. The reason that Leicester looked so much fresher than we did yesterday is simple. They were much fresher.

SuperiorXI

If you want a serious answer Ole literally answered your question in his post match conference and said that before the game they knew that those two wouldn’t have more than an hour in them.
Why start both of them then? Literally forcing his hand in making 2 subs. Start Pogba and Bruno, brining VDB on later.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why start both of them then? Literally forcing his hand in making 2 subs. Start Pogba and Bruno, brining VDB on later.
Because it rests Bruno I guess? Gets them minutes under their belts too to help with match fitness as those two are going to be important. Dunno tbh. :D

Jonno

It's been an unprecedented run of games, and its impossible to get squad rotation perfectly right and he's mainly got it correct this season.

He got it totally wrong yesterday, though and it contributed heavily to the result.

There's a difference, though to saying he got something wrong, and using it as ammo to prove he shouldn't be at the club.

All in all, he's handled squad rotation well, got us far in competitions and progressed us well.

I don't understand fans who use defeats like yesterday to drive an agenda to get Ole out. They don't rear their heads online when we play well, win games, and do things correctly. Just isolated results.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's been an unprecedented run of games, and its impossible to get squad rotation perfectly right and he's mainly got it correct this season.

He got it totally wrong yesterday, though and it contributed heavily to the result.
Don't agree, infact I think its one of his weakest attributes

mav_9me

Since December 2nd we've played 32 matches in 110 days, or 15.5 weeks. Not a single week without a midweek fixture.

Now, I couldn't say for sure that no other team in history has ever had a congested fixture list quite like it, maybe they have, but to have that without any pre-season and a shorter-than-everyone-else summer break? That's a unique situation.

You might be sick to death of hearing about it, and it probably does get pedalled around a lot more after a loss, but that doesn't make it any less true. These players are human beings. The reason that Leicester looked so much fresher than we did yesterday is simple. They were much fresher.
How unique is it compared to say City, Liverpool, bayern, real, Barca etc. They are all playing pretty much every midweek no?

SirScholes

How unique is it compared to say City, Liverpool, bayern, real, Barca etc. They are all playing pretty much every midweek no?
City have a massive squad so shock horror they are romping away
Bayern in a shit league

how are Liverpool coping? Very very badly

Status
Not open for further replies.