Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

You're right.

Shite (or not...can't decide) username, good poster.

You should be promoted - don't know what crap you've pulled in the past (see you joined years ago), but you've made some good posts recently.

Ten likes are enough for promotion, right? Get on it, modmins/scouts - this fecker's on nine.
Aye, noticed that poster recently too. Good addition to the forum.

Matriac

All I've seen is them complaining about our defense, but at least does so in coherent sentences.

Eli Zee

I love Ole. But I understand that blind faith is not a good thing.

Sometimes, you have to consider the opportunity cost of having a manager. By having Ole, are we missing out on someone else who could take us to the next level?

I'm not saying Ole can or cannot bring us back to the glory days. But I am100% certain there are other managers who can do better with this group of players. That being said, I do hope Ole can break this pattern of losing in important games. We need trophies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Entitlement simply doesn't come into it.
Pretty obvious what it means though, in the context of football (fandom).

But - yeah, you're right - it's overused. And usually means nothing more than "plastic" or "I don't agree with you, so you're shite".

Siorac

Pretty obvious what it means though, in the context of football (fandom).

But - yeah, you're right - it's overused. And usually means nothing more than "plastic" or "I don't agree with you, so you're shite".
Well, yeah, maybe I shouldn't be such a prescriptivist - I usually hate that when it comes to language but for some reason this particular usage of this particular word annoys me.

'Spoilt' or 'impatient' would be better. Though of course they're both going to sound more and more ridiculous, the longer we spend in the relative wilderness of not being a serious force in either the league or Europe.

Cast5

Look at the replies to that tweet, there’s so much negativity surrounding Solskjaer when he literally has the same record as Tuchel in that month including beating City and people are shocked that he’s in there. No wonder people question if the obsessive OleOuters are actually United fans.

Kaos

I love Ole. But I understand that blind faith is not a good thing.

Sometimes, you have to consider the opportunity cost of having a manager. By having Ole, are we missing out on someone else who could take us to the next level?

I'm not saying Ole can or cannot bring us back to the glory days. But I am100% certain there are other managers who can do better with this group of players. That being said, I do hope Ole can break this pattern of losing in important games. We need trophies.
This pretty much sums up where I stand. I love Ole and desperately want him to succeed here, but taking the sentimental specs off I've come to the harsh conclusion that he's a limited manager that may have already hit his ceiling with us. A club with our resources and prestige shouldn't just settle for top 4 every season, especially if better managers could be had. Unfortunately the ownership only care for the club to be profitable which means to them he's doing a stellar job that merits rewarding.

Robbie Boy

Look at the replies to that tweet, there’s so much negativity surrounding Solskjaer when he literally has the same record as Tuchel in that month including beating City and people are shocked that he’s in there. No wonder people question if the obsessive OleOuters are actually United fans.
Twitter is certainly the place to go for rational opinions ;)

Robbie Boy

They’re literally the same replies as what you see on here after a draw, except on twitter they have MCFC, LUFC and LFC in their names.
Not really no. Twitter is literally the worst. You obviously have issues with some posters on here but the overly toxic ones are usually weeded out. Twitter is a free for all.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hey! I know I'm a fecking idiot, there's no need to rub it in.

You have ample opportunity to call out posters that think they're superior fans because they're Ole in.

You're saying a certain percentage of Ole in fans are morons (those that make the comments you've described).

It's hard to reply to that as a in Ole person. You'll just say something to the effect of: "Nah, you're not one of them. I was talking about those other people (that share your view)", no?

Basically you're criticising morons for being morons. What does it have to do with Ole in?

I feel like I've seen just as much, if not more "standards (of Ole in fans) have dropped", or "we're happy being the new Arsenal" (if you're Ole in) than the comments you've described.

All of these comments are just insults imo.
Fair enough!

I guess that is what I'm doing.

The thing is, I think we agree to be honest. Generally speaking. Both extremes are bad, and I'm certainly not having a go at people who support the manager. I think I made that bit clear. I mean, if you're not behaving in that way, then I'm not talking about you

I suppose it's a certain subset who like to act high and mighty, but there again you get that on the other side of the argument, too.

I guess I'm conflating views from different sections of social media, this forum, and those fan channels I used to watch. It just really rubs me up the wrong way when I would hear, and I'm paraphrasing here, "you don't support the manager, then you're not a real fan". It really is horseshit. It's just a nonsense attitude from, as you say, morons!

Last edited:

rotherham_red

More ramblings. Feel free to ramble on some more... Better still, feel free to give out about those nasty 'Ole haters' and all the awful things they do, while doing the same things yourself. But of course, you believe you're holier than thou because you do it for the greater good. Nah, the rabid Ole in are just as shitty and agenda driven as the rabid Ole out.
Please tell me, where have I done that? Or are you projecting your own insecurities again?

It's ok babe, I'm happy you've finally opened yourself up to reality that Ole isn't going anywhere. It's just a shame for you that a lot of us never lost grasp of it, but hey, better late than never I suppose ;)

rotherham_red

Not bad at all, all things considered (shit transfer window, no first team signings, horrible start with no preseason, and most of this forum saying we wouldn't get Top 4 as late as November).

Robbie Boy

Please tell me, where have I done that? Or are you projecting your own insecurities again?

It's ok babe, I'm happy you've finally opened yourself up to reality that Ole isn't going anywhere. It's just a shame for you that a lot of us never lost grasp of it, but hey, better late than never I suppose ;)
You're losing it :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There is this prevailing idea that if you stand by your manager no matter what, that automatically makes you a better fan
Supporting the club makes you a better fan. I see a lot of posts on here along the lines of 'this club is a joke/shambles/being run into the ground' or just relentless negativity and as far as I am concerned, rightly or wrongly, those posters aren't what I would consider to be strong supporters of this club. Nothing to do with Ole whatsoever.

Matriac

I wonder how many "United fans" are going to vote for Tuchel since he beat two teams lower on the table than Ole did.

croadyman

Supporting the club makes you a better fan. I see a lot of posts on here along the lines of 'this club is a joke/shambles/being run into the ground' or just relentless negativity and as far as I am concerned, rightly or wrongly, those posters aren't what I would consider to be strong supporters of this club. Nothing to do with Ole whatsoever.
So I take it you don't have any issue with how badly this club has been run for the last 16 years, think we are all realising now just how much Fergie's genius protected their yankee leeching asses from serious criticism until the summer of 2009. I will never forgive them for pretty much forcing us to replace Ronaldo with Valencia, Obertan & Owen. We missed out on some serious top talent in that next four summers due to that hideous "no value in the market" line.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Oh supporting the club, absolutely. The club is bigger than any manager or player. But that's not what I was saying, really. I was talking more about how some will attach themselves to an individual (in this instance, the manager) and sort of castigate others and insult them for not doing the same thing and behaving like them. As I've already gone over, both extremes are guilty of this I guess.

And in terms of people saying that the club is a shambles, etc. I mean...are they wrong? In certain ways, the club is bloody shambles. Look at the recruitment of the past 7 years. No rhyme or reason to a lot of it. The owners are a complete joke, too. Nothing wrong with criticizing certain aspects of your club. You can't (or, at least, I don't think you necessarily should) just blindly praise everything they do.

They're fans just like you. And if they didn't care for the club, then I guess they wouldn't have the passion to be so fervent in their displeasure on how certain aspects of it are run.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
To get some positivity here, his man-management does seem to be very good. I don’t think you can ever accuse the players of not playing for him. I think he’s handled Pogba really well because that looked like it was over at one time. He’s certainly not toxic like the previous incumbent, which is certainly a plus.

I also think his intentions are good, and he’s always looking to benefit the team, as opposed to going into full-blown self preservations mode. And while the football at its worst is just as bad as anything the previous managers would serve up, I don’t get the feeling that it’s always necessarily by design. He may get it wrong, sometimes it’s simply down to fatigue, or we’re just outplayed on the day. But I don’t often sense that it’s the result of a negative mindset.

I still don’t think he’s the man for us in the long term, but he does have certain qualities that can’t (or shouldn't) be dismissed.

crossy1686

career ending
With the stats now saying there's a 90% chance we finish in the top 4 this season, once confirmed that's the first time since Fergie we've finished successive seasons in the top 4, that alone is progress.

Get the contract signed and lets put this nonsense debate to bed.

Robbie Boy

Oh, so you don't have the proof then? As you were :)
Proof, really? Take a look through your posts in here. You comes across extremely condescending and patronising at the mere sight of criticism towards Ole, and are generally very hostile. Why all the misplaced rage and snidey comments? You are also the arc atypical Ole in, in that you won't allow contrasting views as you sit up too high on your pedestal and offer only what appears to be blind support. You seem to take it personally - it's just people shooting the shit about the manager on an internet forum. Truth is, we're all fairly clueless.

At least others that back him are capable of a constructive conversation without the need to make it personal, with passive aggressive comments. If you think I need a self awareness check, then you need a mirror mate - as your posts on Ole aren't conducive to good discussion. If you're going to drone on about the 'Ole outs' - at least have a look at your own posting style to see how you contribute to all the bullshit.

And that 'babe x' shite - I've seen you pull that before and it comes across hostile and passive aggressive. If you're trying to look cool and calm, it's doing the opposite.

Last edited:

Eli Zee

This pretty much sums up where I stand. I love Ole and desperately want him to succeed here, but taking the sentimental specs off I've come to the harsh conclusion that he's a limited manager that may have already hit his ceiling with us. A club with our resources and prestige shouldn't just settle for top 4 every season, especially if better managers could be had. Unfortunately the ownership only care for the club to be profitable which means to them he's doing a stellar job that merits rewarding.
Agreed. It would be a fairy tale ending if Ole could be our next SAF. I would love it, but I think the chances of that are slim.

It really is a shame that the owners don't care about trophies as much as the fans do.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So I take it you don't have any issue with how badly this club has been run for the last 16 years, think we are all realising now just how much Fergie's genius protected their yankee leeching asses from serious criticism until the summer of 2009. I will never forgive them for pretty much forcing us to replace Ronaldo with Valencia, Obertan & Owen. We missed out on some serious top talent in that next four summers due to that hideous "no value in the market" line.
No mate, because at some point you just have to let sh*t go. How can anyone be as bitter as you seem to be about what we've seen from this club in the last 30 years? How much success is enough?

Water Melon

Proof, really? Take a look through your posts in here. You comes across extremely condescending and patronising at the mere sight of criticism towards Ole, and are generally very hostile. Why all the misplaced rage and snidey comments? You are also the arc atypical Ole in, in that you won't allow contrasting views as you sit up too high on your pedestal and offer only what appears to be blind support. You seem to take it personally - it's just people shooting the shit about the manager on an internet forum. Truth is, we're all fairly clueless.

At least others that back him are capable of a constructive conversation without the need to make it personal, with passive aggressive comments. If you think I need a self awareness check, then you need a mirror mate - as your posts on Ole aren't conducive to good discussion. If you're going to drone on about the 'Ole outs' - at least have a look at your own posting style to see how you contribute to all the bullshit.

And that 'babe x' shite - I've seen you pull that before and it comes across hostile and passive aggressive. If you're trying to look cool and calm, it's doing the opposite.
The ignore button is here for a reason, mate. Use it from time to time, it is just a must at times.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Agree.

Robbie Boy

The ignore button is here for a reason, mate. Use it from time to time, it is just a must at times.
Aye, true mate. I don't like to use it too often, unless I can't bring myself to look at a posters posts anymore, which is relatively rare.

Thing is, some can be insufferable on one topic but ok on others. When it comes to Ole, it has brought out the very worst in some posters, though. I guess when you're entrenched in one viewpoint and won't budge, it can become stressful to keep vindicating your views and shutting opposing views down. But yeah, I have put a-few on ignore based on their Ole opinions, and the way they choose to convey them.

Last edited:

croadyman

No mate, because at some point you just have to let sh*t go. How can anyone be as bitter as you seem to be about what we've seen from this club in the last 30 years? How much success is enough?
No it's just the last 16 years I am quite annoyed with, yes I know we won trophies in that time but having to spin Glazer PR rather than being able to buy from a position of strength at times was so damn frustrating. Surely even you would much rather have seen the likes of Silva, Aguero & Toure here than ripping it up for our city rivals instead.

Raveneye

With the stats now saying there's a 90% chance we finish in the top 4 this season, once confirmed that's the first time since Fergie we've finished successive seasons in the top 4, that alone is progress.

Get the contract signed and lets put this nonsense debate to bed.
Yup. If Ole gets second this season it will be fun to compare it with Jose's second season. Roughly same amount of time, distant second to a dominant Manchester City, overly reliant on one player. But with a much longer-term squad, no preseason, an attractive culture and occasionally scintillating football. I don't see what Ole has built collapsing on him in his third season with the club like with Morinho.

Counterfactual

Yup. If Ole gets second this season it will be fun to compare it with Jose's second season. Roughly same amount of time, distant second to a dominant Manchester City, overly reliant on one player. But with a much longer-term squad, no preseason, an attractive culture and occasionally scintillating football.
Refresh my memory. When was that?

USREDEVIL

I've said it before and i'll say it again, we need some better players in certain areas more than a better manager. Ole's doing a good, albeit sometimes spotty, job. Get the subs in earlier and give a rest to Bruno and Shaw more often, but otherwise, Ole in!

Cast5

I've said it before and i'll say it again, we need some better players in certain areas more than a better manager. Ole's doing a good, albeit sometimes spotty, job. Get the subs in earlier and give a rest to Bruno and Shaw more often, but otherwise, Ole in!
The thing is though mate when he does give the players a rest he still gets shit for not starting his strongest XI, the man can’t win with some people.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He’s doing a great job at overhauling the club. Culture. Approach. Attitude. Transfers. He’s a positive.

But seeing Tuchels impact on Lampards squad makes me wish we had a tactically astute manager.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the manager is the bigger problems and I like our squad. We could need one world class attacker and more depth though.

I think if Pep had our squad he would win the title granted he is not managing City as well and other top managers would get close as well depending on how well City are doing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The thing is though mate when he does give the players a rest he still gets shit for not starting his strongest XI, the man can’t win with some people.
Resting Shaw and Bruno at the same time has a massive impact. Yet it (seems to) happen often.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tuchel is in his honeymoon phase. Chelsea fans have only seen their results transform under him and are naturally other the moon. We'll see how their fans view him once the dust settles.

United have seen a lot more of Ole - including his failings - so that same mad positivity won't be there (as with Tuchel) unless the fans see something special happening.

I agree. We all want him to that manager we've all been looking for post Sir Alex but I just can't see it. All in all, he's doing an alright job at provided some stability to the football club which as a caretaker manager was what he was supposed to do. But it's a leap too far to go from that to genuine excellence, which I fear isn't much of a priority right now given how elated everybody seems to be at the prospect of becoming Arsenal. In terms of quality of football, progressing as an cohesive unit, exciting football, tactically excellent football, I just think Ole has what it takes. Which isn't surprising to anybody who has seen his credentials as manager or his time here. To eventually reach the top well need a manager who genuinely elevated how we play football. Given our record of hiring managers, it'll probably be a few more hirings before we get it right.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Your point seems to be that the manager doesn't actually matter at all, which is a bit odd, particularly from a Manchester United fan.
Not that im a mind reader, but i dont think thats the point hes making. The manager is of course the most important person at the club, but any manager sort of lives and dies based on the players available to him.

Fergie won nothing his first years because Man Utd back then was mostly belligirent drunkards with more attitude than talent. He became a legend because he was second to none in crafting and assembling competetive squads with players of the right attitude and talent

Coaching/motivation of course matters to make a team greater than the sum of their parts, but i feel like its effect is often overstated on here, especially when it comes to inividual player ability

Mainoldo

Not that im a mind reader, but i dont think thats the point hes making. The manager is of course the most important person at the club, but any manager sort of lives and dies based on the players available to him.

Fergie won nothing his first years because Man Utd back then was mostly belligirent drunkards with more attitude than talent. He became a legend because he was second to none in crafting and assembling competetive squads with players of the right attitude and talent

Coaching/motivation of course matters to make a team greater than the sum of their parts, but i feel like its effect is often overstated on here, especially when it comes to inividual player ability
So what exactly is going on now? I said that because I assume... you referring to the drunken culture as having some relevances to what Ole took over?

Status
Not open for further replies.