Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriac

I wont speak for anyone else, but I suspect that the real issue some have (and I certainly feel that way) is how this forum so often feels like we've lost a game after we've won. As far as I'm aware this is still the best United forum available, and its a habit for me to log in straight after a match and post and read. Its something that I'm now always hesitant to do and I know that there are a lot of posters that feel the same way, many of whom have taken it a step further than me and just stopped coming here.

Everyone on here has a responsibility to try to keep this forum a place where new people want to come. These days it looks like a playground for the hyper-critical, and the less 'dramatic' are leaving or taking one look and not bothering.
I've found that I more often turn to the r/reddevils subreddit whenever I need a dose of positivity. Then I return here when I'm willing to have a discussion (since those are rarer on reddit).
Some times I need a quick trip back there inbetween threads on here. Kinda like looking at pictures of kittens.

rotherham_red

Rubbish. We were piss poor against Chelsea in both games. The majority of those games were muted affairs, there's no point dressing them up as something they weren't.
You've missed my point. So I'll ask the question again: did you watch those matches and see why they played out the way they did?

Did you for example, notice Pep playing with two holding midfielders against us at OT - something that he has rarely, if ever, done? Did you see Tuchel have two holders AND a 5atb when we played them? Or Lampard completely shutting up shop himself at OT? Did you see the numerous gaping chances we missed at the Emirates? Or Klopp's Liverpool not having a go at us?

The context of my question was that yes, it was drab but it wasn't just down to us that it was so. The other teams learnt from their mistakes of the previous year and acted accordingly. If anything, it's a sign of our progress and improvement as a team that these teams actually respect our abilities. If they played in the same way as they did last season, those results would have been very different.

As it is, that is now the next step for us: to play these bigger games on our terms rather than catering to their threats and playing on the counter. Recent results against Liverpool and City suggest that we're getting better on that front too.

hubbuh

You've missed my point. So I'll ask the question again: did you watch those matches and see why they played out the way they did?

Did you for example, notice Pep playing with two holding midfielders against us at OT - something that he has rarely, if ever, done? Did you see Tuchel have two holders AND a 5atb when we played them? Or Lampard completely shutting up shop himself at OT? Did you see the numerous gaping chances we missed at the Emirates? Or Klopp's Liverpool not having a go at us?

The context of my question was that yes, it was drab but it wasn't just down to us that it was so. The other teams learnt from their mistakes of the previous year and acted accordingly. If anything, it's a sign of our progress and improvement as a team that these teams actually respect our abilities. If they played in the same way as they did last season, those results would have been very different.

As it is, that is now the next step for us: to play these bigger games on our terms rather than catering to their threats and playing on the counter. Recent results against Liverpool and City suggest that we're getting better on that front too.
Yeah, I understood your question and my response was fitting. I also watched those games and rewatched the highlights recently. I still disagree with your assertion that the results say more about the opposition than they do about us. Did you not notice that we also played 2 holding midfielders in every single game bar one? Do you remember which game we didn't play the McTominay-Fred axis? It was the 6-1 drubbing against Spurs, the 4th game of the league season. Since then, Ole has reverted to McTominay-Fred as his defensive midfield duo in every single big game. The nil nils aren't a consequence of us having a real good go but just not finding the breakthrough, we've set up defensively in every single one. The City game was a breath of fresh air for sure in terms of actually getting a result. City played right into our hands and it worked a treat. It's a shame it came at a time when City were 17 points ahead and the game had nothing riding on it. I want to see us win important league games against our domestic rivals when the pressure is on and there's something to play for.

90 + 5min

I said the result is good,of course it is, its fantastic, I wouldn't expect a better result no 2-0 is more than enough. I do expect us to play better football, it's not just the score is it? What do you think made us the most famous football club on the planet? It was the football we played.
Heritage and history. We were already popular team before our golden era with Sir Alex Ferguson. It isn't about playing most attacking football.

We had two shots on target all game (3 if you include the last-minute penalty)!! TWO! Granada had three! I'm sorry, but last night was fecking boring and that's an awful word to use to describe United. Boring, boring Man United has become the new normal and it's unacceptable.
Boring or not. We did what we had to do. Some might think chess is boring, some might think it is best game ever. We won, that should be enough. I don't know how people can be negative with a 2-0 win?

When you have to give these types of excuse for performance after literally every game, I think it's time to accept that our football is just not good to watch. You're definitely fighting a losing battle on that front.
Can football change? It can. Nobody says it is perfect. But people can be happy with a 2-0 win and not be negative wich is the first thing some are. We know there are fans, people actually wanting us to lose as many games as possible just to get rid of Solskjaer.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Heritage and history. We were already popular team before our golden era with Sir Alex Ferguson. It isn't about playing most attacking football.
Hum yes obviously, because of another era, the busby babes? Busby babes and Fergie era? Ring any bells? Heritage and history, yes, of playing football the whole world loved to watch, of which football legends were born, which proves my point, I don’t even know what your point is.

TsuWave

Jesus wept

Your 5 latest post is visible in your profile for a reason. If you can't handle that without making it about stalking, you should get off the internet.

The Ole discussion thread is about discussion, not your ranting about how shit he is in on-liners. That makes the thread poor and the forum poor.

Im pretty sure you can up your post and stop ranting on-liners after every game and performance.
I posted about Ole in the Ole thread. A simple equation really.

Much like I’m not interested in being missed by most fans, I’m also not interested in your quality assessment of posts, even if you seemingly take that role with the utmost seriousness. You’re a bizarre poster, one that frightens me, and you’re clogging the thread you’re seemingly attempting to be a gatekeeper of/for with unsolicited suggestions. As stated, I have no interest in engaging with you further. The bottom line is; the next time United plays, should I not see improvement in our performance, I will be back here to voice my thoughts on Ole.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dead football. Rubbish coach.

But he wins so we keep this train going until it derails.
He won nothing so far. But interesting is how some posters here spin stats and mix subjective/objective opinion in a way to fit their agenda.
Ole and Jose are now on similiar number of games. They have more or less equal numbers in nearly everything. Football style is similiar too. But Jose won 2 trophies.
So how Jose was flop and Ole is doing fantastic job? I still don't get it.

Anyway, i don't mind boring football while it brings results. Granada game is a win which i very liked. 2:0 win without being in danger in any moment. That is job well done for me. I don't understand why are people so desperate to prove that Ole is some kind of attacking manager or that we are playing some sexy football. There is no shame playing cautios and on result.

AshRK

He won nothing so far. But interesting is how some posters here spin stats and mix subjective/objective opinion in a way to fit their agenda.
Ole and Jose are now on similiar number of games. They have more or less equal numbers in nearly everything. Football style is similiar too. But Jose won 2 trophies.

Anyway, i don't mind boring football while it brings results. Granada game is a win which i very liked. 2:0 win without being in danger in any moment. That is job well done for me. I don't understand why are people so desperate to prove that Ole is some kind of attacking manager or that we are playing some sexy football. There is no shame playing cautios and on result.
But then how does that make him a rubbish coach which is what many ole outers throw at him, like the poster you quoted.

OmarUnited4ever

I agree with this, big games are supposed to be tight affairs, not much of entertainment in terms of style, but more of fight and hussle (with some moments of brilliance that decides the game sometimes) and at times u see that both teams cancel eachother out. I remember many of those big games during SAF era and what I enjoyed more was the tight 1-0 or 2-1 wins against teams like Mourinho's Chelsea in 04-06 or Winger's invincible Arsenal.(I am not comparing SAF and Ole here).

But I do see that currently we kinda struggle against teams that shot up shop and defend with numbers, the improvement I see is that teams now fear us and sit back and defend, I remember during the end of Mourinho time and the start of last season pre Bruno, smaller teams actually tried to attack us and score goals and nick a win or a draw against us, now with Bruno's creativity and the fast counters and Martial and Rashford goals (Last season Martial), they just defend deep and since Ole likes to allow players to play freely in the final third, it does look as if we are disjointed and improvise alot when teams defend deep and it is sometimes slow and pedestrian, but I have seen some posters on here mention that it might be due to the team playing too many games in a short span of time and perhaps Ole is trying to be more conservative in his approach (slow buildup) in an effort to conserve energy levels since games are being played twice a week for months this season with minimal breaks (some players even played full games for their national teams during the international break).

On yesterday game, I am actually happy we got a 2-0 win against a team that sat back and kicked our players, good result to take to OT with Shaw and Maguire being suspended, that means we will play with less pressure in the second leg tie.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But then how does that make him a rubbish coach which is what many ole outers throw at him, like the poster you quoted.
Nearly every Ole in poster think that Jose was rubbish. If Jose was rubbish then by logic (everything the same but zero trophies), Ole is even more rubbish. No?

From Ole's day one i keep arguing with people about one thing. That there are lots of myths around Ole just because he is our legend. Some just can't separate Ole player (legend and great guy) and Ole coach.

AshRK

Nearly every Ole in poster think that Jose was rubbish. If Jose was rubbish then by logic (everything the same but zero trophies), Ole is even more rubbish. No?

From Ole's day one i keep arguing with people about one thing. That there are lots of myths around Ole just because he is our legend. Some just can't separate Ole player (legend and great guy) and Ole coach.
Jose's last 6 month was rubbish. If Ole takes us to 6th or 7th then yes people will call him rubbish too. I don't know why we have to talk in extremes, so either he is Klopp esque or he must be rubbish championship level coach. Both are not true. Many here acknowledge Ole has flaws. In fact I have seen many ole outers talk some rubbish about Ole than Ole inners talk about Ole. Ole has been called PE teacher, championship level manager, failed cardiff manager, the worst manager in the league. You name it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
City played right into our hands and it worked a treat
Seems to be a common saying this season. Any time we win and win well its because team X played right into our hands.

Too quick to criticise and far too slow to ever give credit. I dont understand why so many are so reluctant to give any genuine praise to the team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Jose's last 6 month was rubbish. If Ole takes us to 6th or 7th then yes people will call him rubbish too. I don't know why we have to talk in extremes, so either he is Klopp esque or he must be rubbish championship level coach. Both are not true. Many here acknowledge Ole has flaws. In fact I have seen many ole outers talk some rubbish about Ole than Ole inners talk about Ole. Ole has been called PE teacher, championship level manager, failed cardiff manager, the worst manager in the league. You name it.
Damn, failed Cardiff manager is my line. I even used FCM because i used it too much. :nervous::)

Anyway, yeah this 2,5 years were full of extremes from both sides. I agree.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A comfortable win away in a European quarter final and there's 5 pages of negativity. In 17 for comparison we drew 1-1 with Anderlecht at the same stage.

All that matters is grinding out the results at this stage of the season, nobody is playing spectacular football.

Mainoldo

Yeah I hate the boring football to be honest even if we win trophies. But atleast with trophies I can bare it. But I always had pride that our fans would never accept a league title like how Jose won it for Chelsea in 2014 as we demand good football. Once again I underestimated our fanbase. Fergie really made us. Long love the legend.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I wont speak for anyone else, but I suspect that the real issue some have (and I certainly feel that way) is how this forum so often feels like we've lost a game after we've won. As far as I'm aware this is still the best United forum available, and its a habit for me to log in straight after a match and post and read. Its something that I'm now always hesitant to do and I know that there are a lot of posters that feel the same way, many of whom have taken it a step further than me and just stopped coming here.

Everyone on here has a responsibility to try to keep this forum a place where new people want to come. These days it looks like a playground for the hyper-critical, and the less 'dramatic' are leaving or taking one look and not bothering.
MiseryCafe.net

You’d think a global pandemic during which billions have been adversely impacted, with our entire life system being flipped upside down, would give United fans a sense of perspective...

NZT-One

Seems to be a common saying this season. Any time we win and win well its because team X played right into our hands.

Too quick to criticise and far too slow to ever give credit. I don't understand why so many are so reluctant to give any genuine praise to the team.
Imagine: I want to steal your car and you know that. You also know, my chances to succeed are way slimmer if you place it in the garage instead of the street in front of the house. If you don't put it in the garage and I get your car finally, wouldn't you agree, that you played a role in the whole thing as well? Wouldn't you say that it wasn't my mastery in car thievery that got me the car?

That's the situation how I see it. Many here give the players credit for killing off Leipzig, for giving Leeds a nice ride or for the good match against Sociedad or the proudly match against City lately - after all, you only can beat what is in front of you. So for the protocol: I give credits to the team (players and manager) for these very good results.
But at the end of the day, context is relevant as long as you aim to improve by learning more about your own strength and weaknesses. And that means that matches where opposition teams play somewhat into our hands are recognized as that. That might be a tad subjective regarding the extent, but that how is that subjectivity worse or more negative than the subjectivity when coming to a conclusion to suggest, that there is "a reluctance to give genuine praise".

I agree, subjectivity is stingy. And the forum would be less bi-polar without it. But it also would be pretty boring. I get that negativity feels unbearable for some and a few posters seem to pop up only in some situations following a bad result/performance but we should apply the same methods as in kindergarten: ignore the bullies, some just do it for attention and these folks will stop if they don't get any.

T_Model101

A comfortable win away in a European quarter final and there's 5 pages of negativity. In 17 for comparison we drew 1-1 with Anderlecht at the same stage.

All that matters is grinding out the results at this stage of the season, nobody is playing spectacular football.
Exactly this. No one knows or cares who you played and beat in the quarter finals if you go on to win.
Who did we beat in 99 at the same stage? Inter?
08? Fecked if I know

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You have to be able to win ugly to get anywhere unless you’ve got it spot on. It’s Jose football, it’s Fergie football, It’s Ole football... We were pragmatic and get the job done for long periods in our recent history under Fergie and we were ok with it with as long as we won. We are going to have periods like this when the team goes flat. We need to keep building and adding quality and options. It’s like fixing a moving car during the season, we just got to keep going. The difference between Ole and Jose is at least we try to be attacking and we don’t look completely beaten or even phased when we go behind. We don’t try to sit on 1 goal lead for 75mins while making defensive substitutions either.

Ole could surely be improving our chances of playing nicer stuff by rotating more aggressively when everyone looks tired. I’m not calling for wholesale changes but even just putting in one different fringe player per game to give the core players a break. Start subbing in the youth players if at all possible. Apart from that we look pretty dead on our feet which is quite understandable.

Womp

idiot
@MU655 I totally agree that people can have their issues with our style of play. Honestly, it's one thing I really want for us to improve upon. Obviously, it's also totally fair to question Ole on this front too.

However, there are several factors/variables at play that could possibly explain some of our disjointed football. Conversely, there far too many far fetched excuses at times, and a-lot of dramatics from Ole's biggest fans at the mere signt of criticism - no matter how constructive it is.

Nevertheless, the first post in here last night was to slag off Ole. We had just come away with a two nil win in the QF of the EL against a shit house team. Yes, the match wasn't great but it was a good result and no one really expected a great quality match. The other 3 games looked of similar quality and Arsenal could only draw at home to Slavia Prague. There's certainly a conversation to be had about Ole but some of the negativity is ridiculous. If you find the right posters, you will find a good balanced debate. There are plenty however from both 'sides' that you should steer well clear of, as they have no intention of a rational debate.
That's because I genuinely think people are missing the mark here. I don't see any people really complaining about our results in isolation. It's lack of progress from a collective, coaching stand point, for me. Results wise, I agree Ole is doing a good job. It goes back to that Jose second season for me though. To finish second given how shite we were in years prior, in isolation that is a very impressive achievement, but it was argued on here by many that it wasn't sustainable due to the football being played, that eventually teams who had coaches improving their players as a collective unit, would be more consistent and effective over the course of a season - which turned out to be true. There was a feeling that we were lacking progress, despite the actual position. That's how I feel with Ole too.

Whether or not you want to see it, he is a pragmatic, counter-attacking coach. He can play on the front foot when required, but the team as a whole looks far more impressive and effective when it is given the opportunity to counter attack, we far too often look clueless or have difficulty breaking down teams who sit deep - as a result, I don't ever see us having the consistency to win the league. Unpopular opinion, but I think this pragmatic approach to coaching is dead, the game has changed. The majority of the hugely successful pragmatic managers are now either coaching b level squads, out of jobs or struggling. See Mourinho, Allegri etc.

The difference far too often these days is the level of coaching. All major teams have great players now, I don't think it's simply enough, or possible, to expect our team to be so much more talented than the rest of the league/Europe that we can win the league or other major trophies by not putting far more of an emphasis on a system that improves the players as a collective.

I would be far more inclined to give him more time, if I saw some football I could place any sort of faith in, rather than our approach continuing to look like place holder football. I would even be willing to give him more time if he brought in some more technical coaches who could bear that responsibility for him - it's very obvious he's a great man manager, but currently I don't see many signs of either. I see a team that has hit it's ceiling, that I haven't really seen improvements from some time now. The squad will improve when we sign better players, but that's the same for any squad. When we strengthen, we won't be the only team to do so.

That being said, as long as he keeps getting results, he won't be sacked and rightly so. So here's hoping I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

Everyone thinks Jose was rubbish was the state his job ended and the absolute state he left the squad in.

No one thought he was rubbish when we won couple cups, and came 2nd, but by the Sevilla game and his comments, and then the toxic negativity and absolute dark cloud he left around the club on and off the pitch, yes that's why everyone thought he was rubbish.

If Ole had similar ending you be hearing the same stuff.

MU655

@MU655 I totally agree that people can have their issues with our style of play. Honestly, it's one thing I really want for us to improve upon. Obviously, it's also totally fair to question Ole on this front too.

However, there are several factors/variables at play that could possibly explain some of our disjointed football. Conversely, there far too many far fetched excuses at times, and a-lot of dramatics from Ole's biggest fans at the mere signt of criticism - no matter how constructive it is.

Nevertheless, the first post in here last night was to slag off Ole. We had just come away with a two nil win in the QF of the EL against a shit house team. Yes, the match wasn't great but it was a good result and no one really expected a great quality match. The other 3 games looked of similar quality and Arsenal could only draw at home to Slavia Prague. There's certainly a conversation to be had about Ole but some of the negativity is ridiculous. If you find the right posters, you will find a good balanced debate. There are plenty however from both 'sides' that you should steer well clear of, as they have no intention of a rational debate.

I think club football actually needs a break. You have to wonder how many people are actually getting bored of watching football since it has been on twice a week for almost a year. I have got a bit bored of it myself in general, and there is less of a break between visiting the forum for post-match threads. It is probably the growing boredom of football plus the fact we are not entertaining to watch. It is not really a good combination to find positives. I haven't been paying as much attention, and I forgot there were even games on this week until my phone brought them up.

In terms of Manchester United. It is good to win, but there is only so long you can do it without actually being entertaining to watch. I would say, of all the 50 or so games we have played, only 5%-10% have actually been entertaining. Games seem to be such a slog to get through, at the moment. But again, it is probably being made worse by it being on too much. The more often you watch, the worse it gets. It was sort of like under Van Gaal: the worst period was over Christmas in his last season where the games were on more often. We scrape out more goals now, but football has been on far more often than normal.

Last edited:

SAF is the GOAT

An article written by Pauly Kwestel about our rebuild compared to Pep in City and Klopp in Liverpool, very interesting info.

https://kwestthoughts.substack.com/...mpaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=twitter

How long should a 'rebuild' really take?

Rebuilds don't happen overnight. Their long timelines are understandably frustrating for fans. But the dirty little secret about rebuilds is that the best ones never finish.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think club football actually needs a break. You have to wonder how many people are actually getting bored of watching football since it has been on twice a week for almost a year. I have got a bit bored of it myself in general, and there is less of a break between visiting the forum for post-match threads. It is probably the growing boredom of football plus the fact we are not entertaining to watch. It is not really a good combination to find positives. I haven't been paying as much attention, and I forgot there were even games on this week until my phone brought them up.

In terms of Manchester United. It is good to win, but there is only so long you can do it without actually being entertaining to watch. I would say, of all the 50 or so games we have played, only 5%-10% have actually been entertaining. Games seem to be such a slog to get through, at the moment. But again, it is probably being made worse by it being on too much. The more often you watch, the worse it gets. It was sort of like under Van Gaal: the worst period was over Christmas in his last season where the games were on more often. We scrape out more goals now, but football has been on far more often than normal.
I think we could have done without a Euros this summer, but I have no issue with club football. I personally rarely ever get bored watching United and when I do its usually down to the mood I had coming in to the game than the game itself

Crashoutcassius

From reading through the thread , it is interesting how many teams in the prem have switched it up to respect us this season. Last year most sides played naively and got beaten, this year city arsenal Chelsea etc have come not to lose against us, most achieved that, not all. I wonder will there be further evolution next season or are big clubs going to be happy with a stalemate versus in every match.

Unclereemus

From reading through the thread , it is interesting how many teams in the prem have switched it up to respect us this season. Last year most sides played naively and got beaten, this year city arsenal Chelsea etc have come not to lose against us, most achieved that, not all. I wonder will there be further evolution next season or are big clubs going to be happy with a stalemate versus in every match.
You are right.
Teams are starting to fear us again.
If we finish 2nd this year and get the europ league, then we are having a very good season. Spesialy when you think about the players who only got 14 days rest and no time to build their fitness .
OGS and the whole coachingsstaff are doing a very good job.
We will challange for the PL next campaign.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm sure the plan this summer is to give us more tools to work with. You're right that big teams adapted to us this season and that's a mark of respect.

Marwood

Exactly this. No one knows or cares who you played and beat in the quarter finals if you go on to win.
Who did we beat in 99 at the same stage? Inter?
08? Fecked if I know
Not sure about that. How much satisfaction can you get from winning the europa league facing a bunch of teams you've never heard of?

Compare that to '99 and the games we had along the way in Champs League and FA Cup.

If it's just about trophies it's a bit boring. You wanna see big games and entertainment.

I think I got a bigger high from that semi against Arsenal in '99 than I did beating Newcastle in the final.

Matriac

Not sure about that. How much satisfaction can you get from winning the europa league facing a bunch of teams you've never heard of?

Compare that to '99 and the games we had along the way in Champs League and FA Cup.

If it's just about trophies it's a bit boring. You wanna see big games and entertainment.

I think I got a bigger high from that semi against Arsenal in '99 than I did beating Newcastle in the final.
You haven't heard about Real Sociedad and AC Milan? Even Granada should be known to most if they had a look at La Liga in the past years, but yeah they are the weakest team left in the competition.

Rest of the teams are Roma, Ajax, Villareal and your beloved Arsenal. Then you have Dinamo Zagreb and Slavia Prague as the lesser known who has still done decent in Europe for a while.

I realize you get some odd teams in EL group stage, but we didn't play any of those this year.

Withnail

I think we could have done without a Euros this summer, but I have no issue with club football. I personally rarely ever get bored watching United and when I do its usually down to the mood I had coming in to the game than the game itself
It's unikely but I'm hoping they don't get enough venues with crowds and scrap the thing.

The players really need a break. It's an absolute joke they're pushing ahead with it.

Marwood

You haven't heard about Real Sociedad and AC Milan? Even Granada should be known to most if they had a look at La Liga in the past years, but yeah they are the weakest team left in the competition.

Rest of the teams are Roma, Ajax, Villareal and your beloved Arsenal. Then you have Dinamo Zagreb and Slavia Prague as the lesser known who has still done decent in Europe for a while.

I realize you get some odd teams in EL group stage, but we didn't play any of those this year.
I was talking about the europa win under Mourinho. Slightly straying from Ole but the point was I think it is important who you beat on the way.

This time around I think we've played one good team in Milan. Sociedad were ok, Granada poor.

I'm a big Ole fan but I won't be going berserk if we win europa league this year. The teams we've beat we should be beating with the money and squad we have.

NZT-One

The Different Tactical Eras of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Introduction(has 5 parts to that article if someone really interested)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been in charge of Manchester United for two years and he's already had five distinct tactical eras. We're taking a deep dive into all five.
Interesting article but you get some feeling as if the author was already sure about the last line of the article and just took all the other paragraphs to support this last line.
I mean I guess it would be possible to write an article like that about many/most managers in all leagues. I mean, adjusting the team due to new circumstances, dealing with injuries and "developments" - thats the job of the manager, not something that should be noted as a special achievement.

I liked that part:

"To get them there, United would give the illusion of a press, pushing the front four of the 4-2-3-1 all the way high, but they wouldn’t actually put on a lot of pressure. The forwards were high but leaving the midfield and defense a bit further back. This discouraged opponents from trying to play long balls in behind the press, and instead try to play through it. "

Ok... so it seems the author is able to read the mind of a team - a group of individuals (how would that be even possible) and accuse an intention just by looking at the outcome. That is a really weird move from the author seeing that he tries to bolster most of his conclusions by some stats.
All in all the article is worth having a look at - especially for the Ole-In-crowd as they will feel confirmed by it. I think, it kind of lacks a bit of substance, is never questioning the manager itself, but is certainly worth reading.

Thanks for sharing.

Halftrack

Ok... so it seems the author is able to read the mind of a team - a group of individuals (how would that be even possible) and accuse an intention just by looking at the outcome. That is a really weird move from the author seeing that he tries to bolster most of his conclusions by some stats.
What?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No team has lost fewer games than Manchester United this season. Sack him, fraud. All just luck.

It reminds me during SAF era, when Liverpool often claiming "team with the most point against Top 4" trophy.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It reminds me during SAF era, when Liverpool often claiming "team with the most point against Top 4" trophy.
Yup. We've had longest unbeaten runs, clean sheet runs,unbeaten away game runs, most points from insert date. Still zero to show for it all though.

SwedishFish

It's unikely but I'm hoping they don't get enough venues with crowds and scrap the thing.

The players really need a break. It's an absolute joke they're pushing ahead with it.
Not gonna happen. There's too much money riding on it and they'll make it work in any way that they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.