Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

It is crazy that people still come up with excuses. Like Pep would not win it as our manager etc. Ole is the best we can have etc.

Pep is at another level to Ole for sure. He makes errors and have flaws, but tactically and in terms of coaching he is at another level to Ole.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we are going to be successful going forward he really needs to drop this underdog mentality. He’s the manager of Manchester United, not Sheffield United. He needs to be braver & be willing to take more risks, or he’s always going to fall short. People seem to see him as a mini-Fergie but they are nothing alike when it comes to rolling the dice. Fergie put it into 5th and put his foot down. Ole reaches for the hand break.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That guy saying noone would win it with our squad is the crazy call though.
Did Ranieri go up against this city manager with this city squad who won 21 games on the fecking trot and are about to do the treble? Or does context go out the window when spouting utter drivel?
I'd wager those two would have won the Europa final based on their management ability and experience.
Odd wager considering Klopp has failed to beat the seventh best side in la liga before. He would also never lose domestic cup semi finals because he’s too busy going out in the 4th round. However, you’re right, Ole isn’t as good a manager as the two best managers on the planet. Let’s sack him and hire one of them. Oh no wait...

Acquire Me

That's the problem...we didn't learn a thing from last year when Sevilla beat us in the semi-final. In that game Ole waited until the 87th minute to make a sub, this time he waited until the 10th minute of extra time!! That's over 100 minutes before making a change...crazy! We should have been able to beat both of those teams but didn't. So we haven't learned and kicked on at all...that's the real worry.
It’s not unacceptable to make mistakes. Everyone makes them, even Pep and Klopp. I think a lot of posters expectflawless ride to be satisfied. It’s not going to happen.

I think our main problem now is investment in players. Ole got probably only 11 players he trust, and probably fewer than that if we are being honest. Some of his trusted players are still very young as well.

I think it’s going to be very interesting to see how we develop and our transfer window.

el3mel

No manager would win the prem or champs league with our current squad. That includes Pep and Klopp.
Pep would have made United a force to be reckoned with.

I have no doubt in my mind if he has got the job in say 2016 or so he would have made United as much of a dominant force as he has made City.

Everything would have went completely different.

And if we are talking about the current squad? Yes, he would win the damn league with it, or at the very least, challenge to the last few weeks of the season.

Because Pep is a fecking genius regardless of all the talking about the money.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd wager those two would have won the Europa final based on their management ability and experience.
I can also wager that Ole would have beaten Lyon last year in CL QFs with that City squad.

James35

Did Ranieri go up against this city manager with this city squad who won 21 games on the fecking trot and are about to do the treble? Or does context go out the window when spouting utter drivel?

Odd wager considering Klopp has failed to beat the seventh best side in la liga before. He would also never lose domestic cup semi finals because he’s too busy going out in the 4th round. However, you’re right, Ole isn’t as good a manager as the two best managers on the planet. Let’s sack him and hire one of them. Oh no wait...
No because I'm talking about now, the post said those managers would not win league with our squad. I didn't disagree with that and what I clearly said is I'd wager they would have won the Europa final on Wednesday of this week considering their PRESENT DAY management skills and experience, never did I mention sacking Ole or the fact they have also lost semis and finals in the past.

But by all means continue acting like a child.

croadyman

I'm a match going fan, home and away. I'll still give my opinion on Ole as a coach because my mindset isn't the of a hopeless romantic but as one that deals in reality and what's best for the club, not Ole. He might finish 5th or 6th next season and get sacked, I'll still respect him for what he did for us but that's about it and all it should be.
Yeah I had a season ticket in 10/11 and am even old enough to remember when we lost a league cup final to Sheff Weds, like this poster I am well aware of what he did for the club as a player and will always be grateful to him for 99 but sorry not going to be sentimental and sugar coat things when it comes to his management because think it's important to separate him as a player/manager

He'sRaldo

Since we're back to comparing Ole with Pep and Klopp, I assume we're all expecting a CL win next season? After all, Klopp did it and Ole is just as good?

Paul_Scholes18

Since we're back to comparing Ole with Pep and Klopp, I assume we're all expecting a CL win next season? After all, Klopp did it and Ole is just as good?
Klopp did not win EL so if Ole wins that title next year he is better than Klopp.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
No because I'm talking about now, the post said those managers would not win league with our squad. I didn't disagree with that and what I clearly said is I'd wager they would have won the Europa final on Wednesday of this week considering their PRESENT DAY management skills and experience, never did I mention sacking Ole or the fact they have also lost semis and finals in the past.

But by all means continue acting like a child.
Well it’s a stupid hypothetical stick to beat him with. It’s a game of football - anything can happen. We lost 11-10 on pens to a very well disciplined side. I don’t think Ole would have lost 6 home games in a row with a side containing Salah, Fabinho, Mane, Wiljaldum, Trent, Robertson, Allison, Firmino and Thiago. But who knows.

el3mel

They will tell you this Liverpool squad is better than United, or whatever. We are already setting excuses up for next season.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Except that isn’t what’s been said. Not a single person on this forum has argued he’s better than Klopp. Klopp isn’t available though right? Or have I missed something?

el3mel

Well it’s a stupid hypothetical stick to beat him with. It’s a game of football - anything can happen. We lost 11-10 on pens to a very well disciplined side. I don’t think Ole would have lost 6 home games in a row with a side containing Salah, Fabinho, Mane, Wiljaldum, Trent, Robertson, Allison, Firmino and Thiago. But who knows.
"Well disciplined side". :lol:

This is the Manchester United we are expecting to challenge for big trophies soon everyone. Can't win a trophy while facing a side 7th in their league and have never won a trophy before because they are well disciplined.

The final shouldn't have even reached the pens. Villarreal were hands down the worst Spanish side I have seen in a European final in a very long time.

But yeah, we lost to a "well disciplined" 7th spot league team via pens, and also bottled every single minor cup competition we were close to win last 2 years. Meanwhile we are expecting this United side managed by Ole to win big trophies soo. Great.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Except that isn’t what’s been said. Not a single person on this forum has argued he’s better than Klopp. Klopp isn’t available though right? Or have I missed something?
Do you think Ole is one of the top ten managers in the world? And if not about where would you put him?

croadyman

So after taking the team from 6th, then 3ed with 3 semifinals to 2ed and a final, why don't you trust we are moving in the right direction. It's is very similar to Klopps reign btw.
Because you could see what Klopp was trying to do with the team even back then whereas with Ole I am still unsure, still guts me we lost out on him due to the toy story puppet selling us badly and Pep due to not being able to understand Fergie's accent as well

Mickeza

still gets no respect

This is the Manchester United we are expecting to challenge for big trophies soon everyone. Can't win a trophy while facing a side 7th in their league and have never won a trophy before because they are well disciplined.

The final shouldn't have even reached the pens. Villarreal were hands down the worst Spanish side I have seen in a European final in a very long time.

But yeah, we lost to a "well disciplined" 7th spot league team via pens, and also bottled every single minor cup competition we were close to win last 2 years. Meanwhile we are expecting this United side managed by Ole to win big trophies soo. Great.
Aww. Has someone lost their dummy? Bless. Anyway, I’m off from this thread for another few days. It’s been fun checking in on what supporters who hate everything about the club have had to say. Enjoy your hysterical echo chambers. Maybe we could get a poll going asking if Paul Ince could have done a better job after all.

el3mel

Aww. Has someone lost their dummy? Bless. Anyway, I’m off from this thread for another few days. It’s been fun checking in on what supporters who hate everything about the club have had to say. Enjoy your hysterical echo chambers. Maybe we could get a poll going asking if Paul Ince could have done a better job after all.
Great. Goodbye.

mu4c_20le

The entitled, modern fan.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Their temperament maybe different to what they accept - yet both are man management style managers.

Im not saying Ole is better or something am I?

Plus your acting like Pogba and Martial have been his players that he bought. It’s not like he has this amazing ability to sell players at United; no one really does and no one really is going to buy Martial and Pogba is a virus who has been here longer than Ole has. He has preferred Centre midfielders to him as well.
Pogba was straight back in the team when he went on TV in Japan and talked about leaving. Ole bottled it.

You should have just left it at Man Management style because he's not Fergie. In fact I'm often astounded by some of the things he does considering the amount of time he played under Fergie.

mu4c_20le

Anybody think we should have a serious look at Antonio Conte?
Very good manager, lots of baggage. Won the title for Chelsea, but at a cost:

Batshuayi - 35M
Alonso - 25M
Morata - 60M
Bakayoko - 40M
Zappacosta - 24M
Drinkwater - 35M

Keep in mind that we are nowhere near as good as Chelsea when it comes to moving players

Foxbatt

I really do not understand why people don't get this. There is absolutely no comparisons. They are judging SAF on the Scottish Premier League as it now, not back then when It was really strong.
Not only The Scottish League, he won the European Cup Winners Cup beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. We could not even beat Villareal.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Anybody think we should have a serious look at Antonio Conte?
A top club looking to compete would assess every option that could make them better. What that says about where we are should be clear. We're about to give Ole a new 3 year deal.

Foxbatt

Pogba was straight back in the team when he went on TV in Japan and talked about leaving. Ole bottled it.

You should have just left it at Man Management style because he's not Fergie. In fact I'm often astounded by some of the things he does considering the amount of time he played under Fergie.
Spot on. One thing SAF was really good was his game management. Under Ole, Ole wouldn't have scored the winner in the final. Because he won't take off Cole and Yorke.
We need to separate the player from the manager.

MattofManchester

People comparing Ole to Fergie is baffling.
Its borderline insulting, actually. Fergie already had a rather large reputation prior to joining United.
On top of that, the Manchester United he inherited didn't have lucrative TV deals and insane amounts of value and revenue with which we could throw record amounts of money at anybody we wanted. That came later.

Irrespective of why, the comparisons are frankly beyond ludicrous.

Anustart89

Not like they arent gonna sack him if things go bad even if he’s on a contract.

Not extending could make the players unsure
Ah, yea, just like the uncertainty over Tuchel’s contract situation beyond next season has made the Chelsea players play like donkeys.

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I’ve ever seen on here (don’t worry mate, I’m not singling you out, there’s loads of you), that the manager having one year left on his deal is somehow making the players anxious and perform poorly because of it.

If that were true, then Moyes’s six year contract would’ve drawn some brilliant performances out of the players andFergie’s rolling one year contract overhis last decade in charge would’ve had the players collapsing on the field in agony.

lex talionis

It would be cruel, but if a top manager who fits with what the club wants to be (no shit Mourinho football any longer, please) is available we should give it a hard look.

The only manager who's realistically available (thus no Pep or Klopp) who ticks the right boxes is Zidane. Should we be willing to go in for Zidane? I'd say hell yeah.

Womp

idiot
People expecting him to improve enough to challenge for any major trophies next year are frankly clutching imo. The guy has been in management as long as Pep and is still making very amateurish mistakes at times. He hasn't won a trophy in 8 years. The improvement to the collective of our football has stagnated for some time now. All he really talks about is needing new players, more players. Just getting new players isn't going to be enough to bridge the gap to two managers who are extremely meticulous and specific about their given approaches to the game.

He's a pragmatic coach who is a very good man manager. A good manager, but not the only pragmatic coach who is struggling in the game atm, the majority are. You can't just expect players to go out there and figure it out, when you're playing teams that are just as rich, just as talented, but also coached to be better than the sum of their parts. You don't even need to look at stats or anything to see that there are levels to the unpredictability, movement on display and speed at which some teams (some of which have far lesser players and budgets) play their game as opposed to ours. Our passing, our movement, it's all very slow and predictable. Players always taking a touch or two, players having a very poor and pointless 'press', players not passing and moving, players not constantly moving into open space etc.These aren't issues that will be fixed by just buying better players, because these things are collective weaknesses.

He's done a very good job at what I personally believe he was brought in to do - steady the ship, improve the level of the squad from an individual level, but anyone who can see anything resembling him winning the major trophies any time soon is seeing something I don't.

If he can identify his obvious weaknesses as a coach and overhaul his coaching staff with World class staff that he can delegate that responsibility to, then I'm all on board, otherwise unless the level of coaching around Europe suddenly just drops, I don't see us sustainably winning major trophies.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Spot on. One thing SAF was really good was his game management. Under Ole, Ole wouldn't have scored the winner in the final. Because he won't take off Cole and Yorke.
We need to separate the player from the manager.
SAF didn't take off Yorke in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.