Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OleBoiii

Performance and results are two different things.
Results ultimately matter more, though.

Also, our performances aren't bad overall. We have a lot of high scoring games and our comeback-ability shows mental fortitude. Things could be more elegant, but our central midfield is at least partly to blame for this. Fred and McTominay are good squad players, but they are not gonna create a smooth connection between our attack and defence.

Eddy_JukeZ

Well given that we drew a lot of games last season, do you think that this could have been one of those scenarios? We went behind in our away games an incredible amount of times, yesterday felt like one of those games we would have conceded in last year. The vast majority in the matchday thread were saying that it was only a matter of time before we conceded. Yet we didn't and we got the win. We were a little lucky, granted. But at no point yesterday did I feel we would lose and I was confident we'd win at half time as despite playing poorly we didn't concede.

If we can do the job against Newcastle that will be 10 points from the opening 4 games. Sounds like a good, promising start to me.
I think the win was excellent. But we also won a fair few games like this last season too even if we drew loads too.

My concern is that performance might be a recurring type of performance where it just seems we completely bypass the midfield and let the team take control of the game.

I don't think signing Rice or someone solves the deeper issues with the team.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wolves were called shit numerous times yesterday. You keep saying "no one has said that" and then ignore the posts that prove otherwise. I think what you actually mean is "I haven't seen anyone say that when i've been online".
That wasn't what I was addressing though. You said people want us to destroy every team we face. You know that's not true.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Performance and results are two different things.
Ultimately, nobody will give a shit if we win the CL or PL despite playing fairly poorly. But I do agree, our performances need to improve this season, if nothing else I want to see more clean sheets this year and be more solid at the back as that will help our team significantly when they are playing poorly as we have the players in the team to get a goal even when their mates are having a mare.

E-mal

Well given that we drew a lot of games last season, do you think that this could have been one of those scenarios? We went behind in our away games an incredible amount of times, yesterday felt like one of those games we would have conceded in last year. The vast majority in the matchday thread were saying that it was only a matter of time before we conceded. Yet we didn't and we got the win. We were a little lucky, granted. But at no point yesterday did I feel we would lose and I was confident we'd win at half time as despite playing poorly we didn't concede.

If we can do the job against Newcastle that will be 10 points from the opening 4 games. Sounds like a good, promising start to me.
It was more like we were lucky. If that game was played ten more times with thesame chances Wolves created, they would win comfortably.
It's always nice to be the glass half filled kind of guy as life cannot be all that negative, but equally important to be objective.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That wasn't what I was addressing though. You said people want us to destroy every team we face. You know that's not true.
Well obviously not every team. But people do expect us to trounce the so called 'easier' teams. Hence why they then bring up the old "Our rival smashed these guys" posts. Which happened a lot last season.

Are you going to accept that people did call Ole average yesterday?

Eddy_JukeZ

Well obviously not every team. But people do expect us to trounce the so called 'easier' teams. Hence why they then bring up the old "Our rival smashed these guys" posts. Which happened a lot last season.

Are you going to accept that people did call Ole average yesterday?
People on this forum have called Ole plenty of things. I won't dispute that point.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It was more like we were lucky. If that game was played ten more times with thesame chances Wolves created, they would win comfortably.
It's always nice to be the glass half filled kind of guy as life cannot be all that negative, but equally important to be objective.
What about the Southampton game?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We didn't play Bruno, Martial, Cavani, Greenwood in line. It was one pic and people somehow decided we played 4-2-4. There will always be a move where you have players trying to beat the trap.

There are few pics which shows Fred in the box with Bruno deeper and same with Pogba.

We didn't throw more attackers, we replaced shit player with better player and later like for like replacement, a fresh player replacing exhausted player.
It was pretty much a default setup whenever Pogba and Fred had the ball in second half. It wasn't a one off.

We replaced two wingers (under-performing) with two out-and-out, not match fit strikers. It made it even more difficult for already struggling midfield, and didn't result in us creating more quality chances.

Two games in a row opponent teams use structure that nullifies our build up/attacking game.

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
Its also worth remembering that Tuchel was only two games away from a complete disaster season. They fecked up on the last day of the season and had it not been for Leichester also shitting the bed they would have ended up outside of top 4.

Then you have the CL f
Disaster season? Are you forgetting that Tuchel took over in January with Chelsea 20 points behind City. Pretty sure on points won since he took over Chelsea are near top.

I was very skeptical when he took over but performances and results have been undeniably superb. It’s bizarre to say he was a couple of games away from total disaster.

And does he not get credit for beating both Madrid sides and City in the CL run? No it was all down to Pep tinkering I suppose. Ffs

Drainy

Good try, but I said he was a terrible coach. I actually think he's quite a good manager.

@Tom Van Persie
Broadly right but footballers generally say he is a good coach, but obviously that isn't good enough for Man Utd. However, obviously he is a manager so his personal level of coaching isn't as important as it is for Phelan, Mckenna, Carrick, Ramsay, Fletcher and all the other supporting team.

He is in charge of setting out the vision for the side, staffing and managing the game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We were lucky yesterday but the opposite could be said for the Southampton game where we had plenty of chances to win the game.

There is no credit given to any opposition outside the top 4 on here that they might give us a tough game. Home advantage is another thing that is completely ignored.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll turn that around and say that we defended well and deserved the luck. I'll be surprised if they don't take points off any of our rivals this season, they look a good side.

Womp

idiot
Broadly right but footballers generally say he is a good coach, but obviously that isn't good enough for Man Utd. However, obviously he is a manager so his personal level of coaching isn't as important as it is for Phelan, Mckenna, Carrick, Ramsay, Fletcher and all the other supporting team.

He is in charge of setting out the vision for the side, staffing and managing the game.
Don't agree. It's his job as manager to get us in a position where we are winning silverware. If he isn't good enough as a head coach, if he can't identify what the problems are with his staff and/or the coaching, he's still failed.

Giggsyking

Results ultimately matter more, though.

Also, our performances aren't bad overall. We have a lot of high scoring games and our comeback-ability shows mental fortitude. Things could be more elegant, but our central midfield is at least partly to blame for this. Fred and McTominay are good squad players, but they are not gonna create a smooth connection between our attack and defence.
I see that people since yesterday found a new excuse to defend our horrendous performance against relegation candidates that bullied us yesterday and last week. The excuse is one player in Fred. No team in the league has complete squad. City play without a CF. Liverpool has no depth, Chelsea has mediocre defenders and no CF and still won the CL.

The manager must deliver the league this year with world class quality squad we have now. Otherwise he should be catapulted out of the club at the end of the season.

Drainy

Don't agree. It's his job as manager to get us in a position where we are winning silverware. If he isn't good enough as a head coach, if he can't identify what the problems are with his staff and/or the coaching, he's still failed.
winning trophies is the end product of what I just said...

Yes, he needs to show he can compete this year. He's gotten a lot of what he wanted so no excuses now.

NZT-One

We had some numpty who claimed he's worse than Arteta yesterday.
Literally lots of people have said that. Today he’s been called worse than 99% of managers. Yesterday he was worse than Arteta and a fraud.
Some people will always overreact. It doesn't make sense to over-react to fight that because it will just spiral even more. The most notorious critics won't stop but the majority on here ain't like that.

Masterclass.
Masterclass. Well done Ole!
"Simple" football thrashes again :devil:
Give the man a lifetime contract.
So happy for him. Schooled Bielsa yet again today.
PE teacher batters Bielsa again? It's possible that Ole might actually be better at this tactics stuff than social media believes.
His work with Fred stands out so much for me. Season on season he is getting better. Many look at how Pep helps develop players games and make them better players, and yet Ole doesn't get as much credit for how he has developed certain players.
These are from after the Leeds match, they could be seen as a bit over the top, wouldn't you agree? It is part of fan-hood I guess, people want to express their feelings and a forum lives from it.
(@ the quoted guys, in no world would I want to criticize your reactions! They are merely used to show that feelings are part of life of a fan. And some people react more emotional than others which is great as it makes communities exciting)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was pretty much a default setup whenever Pogba and Fred had the ball in second half. It wasn't a one off.

We replaced two wingers (under-performing) with two out-and-out, not match fit strikers. It made it even more difficult for already struggling midfield, and didn't result in us creating more quality chances.

Two games in a row opponent teams use structure that nullifies our build up/attacking game.
No we didn't. Check Martial's heat map and you will see where he played, he came on as a LW and played as one. It was pure left wing.

Also 4 strikers wasn't default position, we tried it few times. There are so many instances with Bruno deeper, Martial completely wide stretching game, Greenwood near RW byline.

OleBoiii

I see that people since yesterday found a new excuse to defend our horrendous performance against relegation candidates that bullied us yesterday and last week.
People have been complaining about the midfield for years. It absolutely did not start recently :lol:

Also, the problem isn't just one player. Pogba also becomes a problem when he plays next to one of Fred or McTominay.

We don't need both of our CMs to be top class. But at least one of them should be. The best example of this is prime Carrick and how he carried the likes of Cleverley, Anderson and Jones.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Some people will always overreact. It doesn't make sense to over-react to fight that because it will just spiral even more. The most notorious critics won't stop but the majority on here ain't like that.

These are from after the Leeds match, they could be seen as a bit over the top, wouldn't you agree? It is part of fan-hood I guess, people want to express their feelings and a forum lives from it.
(@ the quoted guys, in no world would I want to criticize your reactions! They are merely used to show that feelings are part of life of a fan. And some people react more emotional than others which is great as it makes communities exciting)
We hammered a good Leeds team 5-1. If we had lost to Wolves yesterday after that performance then it would've been fair to call that game a disaster but we actually won.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

They all seem like sane and logical responses to an incredible result.

OleBoiii

We hammered a good Leeds team 5-1. If we had lost to Wolves yesterday after that performance then it would've been fair to call that game a disaster but we actually won.
It's just the way things have become I guess.

A draw or a loss is always a disaster, even if we were the better team. Seeing as even title winners typically lose/draw almost 1 in 3 games, we're doomed from the start in here. If shaky/unconvincing victories(which champions will have a lot of) also become whine-worthy, then we're quickly approaching 50% of games causing a meltdown in here. And that is almost a best-case-scenario :p

rotherham_red

Was this what you were referring to @RedSky? Apologies if I have the wrong person, was just skimming through the thread.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Mercedes cars have engines, don’t they? The one we have wouldn’t power a go-kart. As we persist with car analogies, I reckon you can criticise the driver all you want, but until we’re not playing knobheads in midfield we’re going to struggle hugely.

Ole may be responsible for not having brought one (or two) in; we don’t really know. My hunch is that he’d like one desperately.
Ole bought VdB and Amad for £80 million combined - doesn't play the former and is loaning the latter. We could've used that money far more effectively.

Paul_Scholes18

If we want to win the league we need to improve in these types of games and play better. We can't get lucky over 38 games to beat City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But that has made me go and look at Pogbas touches on Whoscored chalkboard. Who spent a lot of the match on the right side of the pitch. Leaving Fred to marshal the middle and left side by himself. If you looked at Pogbas touches you'd think he was playing as part of a midfield three. It's a bit strange. I assume we shifted Pogba more to that side to help double up on Traore after the opening 5minute battering he gave us. @rotherham_red

OleBoiii

Ole bought VdB and Amad for £80 million combined - doesn't play the former and is loaning the latter. We could've used that money far more effectively.
Compare the summer of 2019, 2020 and 2021. 2020 sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a single sure starter signed!

Looking at how good 2019 and 2021 were in comparison, I'm not convinced that the 2020 window was Solskjær's doing. At the very least the players weren't his first choices. If I'm not mistaken, 3 out of the 5 players we signed got finalised on the last day. It reeked of desperation.

NZT-One

What exactly made this Leeds team good? They have been good last season due to relentless pressing and quick transitional play but nothing has been seen in our match against them. They were without one of their most instrumental players. They were hilariously passive so our midfielders and attackers had way more time on the ball than usual. We created 5 goals from an xg of 1.5! Which shows how great all finishes were but it also shows that we didn't batter them with high quality chances.

Nobody denies it was a great result and also a great performance and of course people are supposed to be happy about it but how is that different to people being allowed to be pissed about a somewhat shitty performance like yesterday? Which, and I have to emphasize it, had a lot of similarities to performances from last year which cost us potential trophies.

They all seem like sane and logical responses to an incredible result.
I am sure they do to you. But that's on of the root causes of this dilemma: you seem to consider everything, that doesn't comply with your view as unsane and illogical.

roonster09

Scout

Was this what you were referring to @RedSky? Apologies if I have the wrong person, was just skimming through the thread.
Also I don't know why this image is used as stick to beat the team/manager or whoever. We can't always build the game with tippy tappy passing. We have created good opportunity with 4 players occupying the space between 5 defenders and CB is trying to play the pass over the defense, taking our entire Wolves team.

It was just one moment, some twitter guy posted it and somehow it became fact that we played 4-2-4.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Di Matteo also managed to propel Chelsea to an ECL title. How good did he turn out to be?

Arteta beat Chelsea to the FA Cup title. What does that say?

Simple accounting like this not even a year into Tuchel’s reign is probably not the best indication.

Well he won them the CL which is more than any post SAF manager has done for us. Arteta won the FA Cup which is the FA Cup and not very meaningful these days. The CL is the biggest prize in club football.

And then there's the fact that Chelsea have improved so much to anyone with a working pair of eyes who watches them when they're on the TV. Reminds me of Klopp at Liverpool when they were the ones making all the progress but many couldn't see it. Whether Tuchel is good enough to actually win a league against Klopp and Pep remains to be seen. However based on his time there, his impact has been transformational with them winning the CL and looking like contenders this year (let's see if they actually do, don't rate them as highly as others). We have had Ole for three years and I still can't th imprint of a top coach (already visible at Chelsea).

NZT-One

Also I don't know why this image is used as stick to beat the team/manager or whoever. We can't always build the game with tippy tappy passing. We have created good opportunity with 4 players occupying the space between 5 defenders and CB is trying to play the pass over the defense, taking our entire Wolves team.

It was just one moment, some twitter guy posted it and somehow it became fact that we played 4-2-4.
The issue that this clipped is displaying is not an exception but a very common theme. We try to play as fast and as direct vertical passes as possible. Which, if they don't come off create comments like "Bruno wasn't great he tried to many hollywood passes". This is our plan A and it works good against teams that have a go at us. But some teams don't do that so we struggle and after all this time, one could expect that we have more than just this arrow in the quiver.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's the current stick of choice to beat Ole with. Previous holders include Poch, Rodgers, Ancelotti, Nuno, Hassenhuttl, Arteta and Lampard, depending on that particular weekend's results.

He is looking good though.
:lol:

roonster09

Scout
The issue that this clipped is displaying is not an exception but a very common theme. We try to play as fast and as direct vertical passes as possible. Which, if they don't come off create comments like "Bruno wasn't great he tried to many hollywood passes". This is our plan A and it works good against teams that have a go at us. But some teams don't do that so we struggle and after all this time, one could expect that we have more than just this arrow in the quiver.
Yes we play vertical passes and that's something Ole himself said. He wants his team to play quick forward passes, take risks and when they lose the ball, win it back. So we play as Ole wants the team to play.

Also we are inconsistent team, we don't struggle against team that sit deep, we struggle for consistency in our play. You can see posts saying "we struggle against defensive teams" and then you will also see "We struggle against teams that press us" "We struggle against top team". We struggle against every type of team and we also beat every type of team. We are not consistent.

4 attackers is not a common theme, it happened once or maybe couple more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.