Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

James was not a failure. We signed him pretty cheap and turned in a profit. The only un-equivocal dud has been van de Beek. Just wrong player at wrong club at wrong time. We should've cut our losses this summer. Bizarre signings have to be Diallo and Pellestri for £50m combined. Not sure what we were thinking on these two, they won't be ready for us for at least 3-4 years and in latter case perhaps never. We could've spent the money last summer more wisely.

Not sure the point you are trying to make?

Tuchel isn't being praised for not spending money. He's being praised to make a stacked squad work without any significant signings. He delivered CL qualification and big ears last season by adjusting a system for players he had at his disposal. I highly doubt anyone in here last season, looked at 32yo Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Christensen and said, wow what a tremendous defence. Same set of players were languishing in 9th under Lampard, his management has made the difference. You could extend this for Pep too, last season around Christmas, City were 8th in the PL and struggling for goals with both their strikers in Aguero and Jesus injured. Pep tried Gundogan as CF and he went on a ridiculous scoring spree which basically won them the title. Even this season, City don't have a left-back or a striker but most have them as favorites. Top/elite coaches find a solution for their problems, it's not always by buying, but many times making adjustments within their system to cover up for flaws. That's why Tuchel name is constantly brought up, along with other elite coaches. If a top class coach could make more of a difference in here. Hypothetical scenario, mind.
The point I'm making is that several people in this thread have been making the point that Tuchel "didn't need the time to win anything with his squad". I counter that with this tweet.

Another point you mentioned was that managers adapt to the squads they have and you highlight Tuchel and Pep doing what they did, fair enough. However, when Ole adapts to the very poor midfield he has by implementing a double pivot with McFred, and gets us to 2nd in the process (after a VERY poor start where we conceded 11 in the first three games and only had 3 from 9 points), he gets no credit. Likewise, when he deploys Pogba as the LW option, he also gets no credit. Bear in mind that he took over a squad that was 6th and had to play Lingard and Pereira for half the season in his first season, where he ultimately finished 3rd after being as low as 14th at one point. Again, no credit given. When he gets big results using a variety of tactical systems from 442D, to 3-5-2, to 4-2-3-1, he still gets no credit.

Sometimes I really do feel that people have a grass is always greener syndrome when it comes to this club. Every positive is glossed over and every fault is highlighted and microanalysed to within an inch of its shelf life.

RooneyLegend

The point I'm making is that several people in this thread have been making the point that Tuchel "didn't need the time to win anything with his squad". I counter that with this tweet.

Another point you mentioned was that managers adapt to the squads they have and you highlight Tuchel and Pep doing what they did, fair enough. However, when Ole adapts to the very poor midfield he has by implementing a double pivot with McFred, and gets us to 2nd in the process (after a VERY poor start where we conceded 11 in the first three games and only had 3 from 9 points), he gets no credit. Likewise, when he deploys Pogba as the LW option, he also gets no credit. Bear in mind that he took over a squad that was 6th and had to play Lingard and Pereira for half the season in his first season, where he ultimately finished 3rd after being as low as 14th at one point. Again, no credit given. When he gets big results using a variety of tactical systems from 442D, to 3-5-2, to 4-2-3-1, he still gets no credit.

Sometimes I really do feel that people have a grass is always greener syndrome when it comes to this club. Every positive is glossed over and every fault is highlighted and microanalysed to within an inch of its shelf life.
We haven't won a major trophy since 2013 so any scepticism is to be expected given where our clubs is at this point. You also need to get out of the habit of talking about 2nd and 3rd places as if they are huge achievements. We've been a country mile away from the title since we won one.

I'm all aboard the Ole train but let's not act like people are complaining for the sake of complaining, this club has been a mess for over half a decade now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Ole does not think he has a poor midfield let alone a very poor one. If you have quotes that say otherwise please share them.

Of course people think the grass is greener at clubs like city, liverpool and chelsea because it's objectively greener. They've won the big trophies and we are approaching our longest trophy drought in 30 years.

NZT-One

Sometimes I really do feel that people have some sort of victim complex when it comes to the manager... Of course he has been credited (and rightly so) for all the things you listed but maybe not the same amount that you felt appropriate. He did not try McFred until a few month in, he was stuck with Matic and Pogba despite the issues. So once he switched and it worked, of course people acknowledged it. And people praised him for his results, only the performances were mentioned. And not because you aren't allowed to have the odd bad game. It was mentioned because people were scared the issues might be able to prevent us getting a trophy here and there and their apprehensions seem to be justified, do they not?

We have to find some sort of middleground. Of course over the top criticism sucks but it shouldn't lead to a situation where every natural reaction or doing is tried to be sold as evidence for something. Lets hope Ole and the team come up with solutions, when they do, the pressure will decrease. If they keep being inconsistent, pressure will rise as it is with every topclub. Thats the name of game.

rotherham_red

Sometimes I really do feel that people have some sort of victim complex when it comes to the manager... Of course he has been credited (and rightly so) for all the things you listed but maybe not the same amount that you felt appropriate. He did not try McFred until a few month in, he was stuck with Matic and Pogba despite the issues. So once he switched and it worked, of course people acknowledged it. And people praised him for his results, only the performances were mentioned. And not because you aren't allowed to have the odd bad game. It was mentioned because people were scared the issues might be able to prevent us getting a trophy here and there and their apprehensions seem to be justified, do they not?

We have to find some sort of middleground. Of course over the top criticism sucks but it shouldn't lead to a situation where every natural reaction or doing is tried to be sold as evidence for something. Lets hope Ole and the team come up with solutions, when they do, the pressure will decrease. If they keep being inconsistent, pressure will rise as it is with every topclub. Thats the name of game.
See, I'm not sure why the tone of your reply has to be so confrontational: victim complex, really? I thought I was being sincere and even handed in my reply.

Can you show me this praise, cos other than the noted supporters of the manager, all I've seen of others on that side of the divide is either radio silence or backhanded compliments. Certainly not to the extent where Ole is being held up as an example, like Tuchel, Poch or Klopp have been at various points during Ole's time in the role...

The way I see it is that if Ole doesn't hit the benchmarks he's going to be out of the job, and rightly so if it happens. However, in the meantime, wouldn't it better if people actually supported the team and the manager and will them to do well? Cos you know, isn't that the only job of a supporter? Believe it or not, I don't think Ole is on the level of Klopp or Pep but considering the role he's played in developing this team from the lows it had under Jose to what it is now, I feel he deserves an extended chance of proving whether he has it in him to succeed here with better players at his disposal.

Nothing people say or do on here will have even the lightest of influence on the powers that be at Utd, so why bother expending all that negative energy?

Robbie Boy

Spot on.

Siorac

Yup. I think people have to understand that the criticism is within the context of the ambition of the club that is to win the PL and CL and consistently challenge for both, and hence people view the progress made in the quality of football from that lense. For example, when I watched Liverpool get CL footy under Klopp by finishing 4th and making the CL final, they didn't achieve anything trophy-wise but some of the football they played, especially in attack, was absolutely brilliant. They were one major step (resolving defensive issues) away from challenging, so you could see them being very close to being a contender despite us finishing 2nd and them finishing 4th.
Its important to note that United fans, due to our emotional attachment to the team, have an obvious and understandable tendency to view our own performances through a different lens. I would say that United were absolutely brilliant in attack against Leeds but it's instantly forgotten as soon as the next subpar performance comes around.

If United had failed to put away a 10 man Chelsea as Liverpool did, or lost to Spurs as City did, those performances would be remembered and used in arguments for a long time to come but we quickly forget those. Without that emotional connection its easy to come away with a different perception of certain events.
While you're right that as fans, we're seeing our own team's performances in a different light and apply significantly more scrutiny to it, it's also worth noting that the Liverpool side amol mentioned scored more goals and conceded fewer than we did last season. They had a goal difference of +46 compared to our +29, and of course they reached a Champions League final. So it's not just the eye test that says they looked better and closer to becoming a really great team; the numbers suggest the same thing as well.

Fluctuation0161

Very true.

Fluctuation0161

We haven't won a major trophy since 2013 so any scepticism is to be expected given where our clubs is at this point. You also need to get out of the habit of talking about 2nd and 3rd places as if they are huge achievements. We've been a country mile away from the title since we won one.

I'm all aboard the Ole train but let's not act like people are complaining for the sake of complaining, this club has been a mess for over half a decade now.
Then they should be complaining about the club, not Ole. He has improved the squad and league position moreso than another manager since 2013.

Fluctuation0161

Ole does not think he has a poor midfield let alone a very poor one. If you have quotes that say otherwise please share them.

Of course people think the grass is greener at clubs like city, liverpool and chelsea because it's objectively greener. They've won the big trophies and we are approaching our longest trophy drought in 30 years.
What manager worth his salt is going to slate his midfield playing options in the media? That's essentially what you're asking for. Actions speak louder than words and the double pivot tells it all.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

You make some very good points actually, especially the last one about faults being over analysed. I have to admit I am one of them.

We've had a good transfer window, lets just hope this team and manager can now guide us to some success!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What manager worth his salt is going to slate his midfield playing options in the media? That's essentially what you're asking for. Actions speak louder than words and the double pivot tells it all.
Yes actions speak louder than words and 5 transfer windows in he has signed nobody to play in that double pivot.

Robbie Boy

You make some very good points actually, especially the last one about faults being over analysed. I have to admit I am one of them.

We've had a good transfer window, lets just hope this team and manager can now guide us to some success!
He also gets OTT praise for some very basic things, so it very much works both ways. Hyperbole from one side, gets met with hyperbole from the other side.

Couldn't agree more with the second paragraph. I'm absolutely buzzing for the season ahead and fancy us to do well.

keener

Ole is one of our own, came into a team struggling and everything turned around immediately. Likely in part to a new manager bounce but also due to him being of high quality as well. His insistence of playing aggressively was such a breath of fresh air after Mou and LVG. Since then, we've extended some pretty nice streaks of wins and away winning streak that shows he knows how to prepare the team and even motivate the team. The think he did what most United fans love, he came in and installed a pride and sense of identity in the team with the way he talks about how he defines success, AND how he coaches the team to attack!

Reality is that he inherited a squad that needed additional talent to compete with Liverpool and City. Having spent poorly for 7-8 years, the recent transfer policy has been much more in line with a top team.

My main concern with Ole is his insistence on including Martial in the squad when he's obviously subpar in a squad at this level (but this is more about my strong opinion on Anthony and I'll admit that I may be an outlier). I like my seat on the Ole train and look forward to the ride this season and hopefully years to come.

Fluctuation0161

Yes actions speak louder than words and 5 transfer windows in he has signed nobody to play in that double pivot.
The equally glaring requirements on RW and CB have been filled this window. The club does have some transfer limitations out of Ole's control.

Ultimately I don't think double pivot is how he wants to play. It is the only way to cover for our DM inadequacies.

Fluctuation0161

Ole is one of our own, came into a team struggling and everything turned around immediately. Likely in part to a new manager bounce but also due to him being of high quality as well. His insistence of playing aggressively was such a breath of fresh air after Mou and LVG. Since then, we've extended some pretty nice streaks of wins and away winning streak that shows he knows how to prepare the team and even motivate the team. The think he did what most United fans love, he came in and installed a pride and sense of identity in the team with the way he talks about how he defines success, AND how he coaches the team to attack!

Reality is that he inherited a squad that needed additional talent to compete with Liverpool and City. Having spent poorly for 7-8 years, the recent transfer policy has been much more in line with a top team.

My main concern with Ole is his insistence on including Martial in the squad when he's obviously subpar in a squad at this level (but this is more about my strong opinion on Anthony and I'll admit that I may be an outlier). I like my seat on the Ole train and look forward to the ride this season and hopefully years to come.
Good points, well made.

I tend to agree, not to fussed about Martial/team selection because every fan will have a different opinion. But slightly concerned about the coaching. Overall though a vast improvement since he took over in both squad, morale and league finishes (which is the best measure of quality and consistency).

Ralph1386

The equally glaring requirements on RW and CB have been filled this window. The club does have some transfer limitations out of Ole's control.

Ultimately I don't think double pivot is how he wants to play. It is the only way to cover for our DM inadequacies.
RW wasn’t equally glaring in my opinion. I’m happy we got Sancho but he’s more of a luxury signing compared to a CB and DM. By all accounts, we had a bid rejected for Trippier the other day and we did not officially bid for any midfielder so @Desert Eagle is right in his assessment. If he did not want the double pivot he would have tried to get an affordable DM or midfielder instead of going for a back-up RB.

Fluctuation0161

RW wasn’t equally glaring in my opinion. I’m happy we got Sancho but he’s more of a luxury signing compared to a CB and DM. By all accounts, we had a bid rejected for Trippier the other day and we did not officially bid for any midfielder so @Desert Eagle is right in his assessment. If he did not want the double pivot he would have tried to get an affordable DM or midfielder instead of going for a back-up RB.
We've not had a right winger since Valencia mate. You think that is a luxury signing!? Both CB's desperatly needed upgrading when Ole joined.

This is the problem with modern fans, they expect everything to happen overnight. Ole had a massive rebuild required when he joined RB, CB,CB, RW, DM all needed. As a minimum.

Camavinga rejected us. As confirmed by Di Mario. So we were in for an affordable DM also.

keener

Maybe a DM is in next summers plans? This team is actually built to compete for the coming half decade due to our youth. IF we can get some high level success (which does depend on quality but also injuries and luck) then we could likely convince Pogba and others to stay around for a long ride.

Ralph1386

We've not had a right winger since Valencia mate. You think that is a luxury signing!? Both CB's desperatly needed upgrading when Ole joined.
It was absolutely a luxury signing compared to the other two positions I mentioned. If Sancho becomes unavailable (hopefully never), many players including Greenwood can fit in on the right (and he couldn’t have done a better job last weekend). Whereas if Varane wasn’t available our CB area would become glaringly weak, as our DM position already is.
I’m not saying we didn’t need a RW. I’m saying CB and DM were more urgent, hence my ‘luxury signing’ comment. You can replace the word ‘luxury’ with ‘less urgent’.

This is the problem with modern fans, they expect everything to happen overnight. Ole had a massive rebuild required when he joined RB, CB,CB, RW, DM all needed. As a minimum.
Wait, what? :houllier: Who said anything about overnight success? We were debating Ole’s desire to play a double pivot or not. He’s been here since December 2018 so the word overnight wouldn’t apply anyway (but that’s not the debate).

Camavinga rejected us. As confirmed by Di Mario. So we were in for an affordable DM also.
I did not find the tweet or article where DiMarzio said that Camavinga rejected us. Fabrizio Romano said that there were initial talks with many clubs including ours, but talks with us were not advanced (do you want me to send you the video?).

Madrid actually bid for him officially. We reportedly had a wishlist of midfielders (Camavinga, Neves, Saul) but didn’t officially bid for any of them, while we officially went for Trippier and had a bid rejected. I go back to what the initial poster said about actions speaking louder than words. You can read in the media that we are looking for someone, but who we officially bid for and sign is what counts in the end.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
However, when Ole adapts to the very poor midfield he has by implementing a double pivot with McFred, and gets us to 2nd in the process (after a VERY poor start where we conceded 11 in the first three games and only had 3 from 9 points), he gets no credit.
Yes, because the quality of the midfielders is his responsibility. He's had time and money to upgrade the midfield and he did so by signing Van de Bench.

RooneyLegend

What I appreciate about Ole is he's taken us back to our roots. 2 wide men, 2 forwards, 2 midfielders. The sir Alex way. All this 4-3-3 talk will hopefully just stay as talk.

What we do need are better midfielders and better intensity. The other top clubs regardless of structure don't give these poor sides a kick.

As for our system being outdated, I'd like people to realise we use the same exact set up as Bayern and they don't have any problems competing at the highest level possible.

Robbie Boy

Some good points here. I suppose though, it is worth adding that we've had some horrible runs under him, and he's obviously made mistakes. Putting the OTT hyperbole aside - that he's either done a shit job or a great one - I would say he's done a good job, no more, no less. He has done brilliantly in some areas and less so in others. What I do like about him, is that, he seems to be constantly learning and adapting to managing such a mammoth of a club. Considering who he managed before us, that's totally understandable.

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph. I hold my hands up to being someone who took time to appreciate the job he had on his hands, with the squad that he inherited. It really was a mismatch from three different managerial eras. I'm mostly very pleased with his transfers, and I'm loving that he seems really invested with our youth signings too. This summer was just amazing, it really was. Signing Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo was different level stuff. Obviously plenty have concerns with the DM area, but if Ole neglected it for other areas, that's his decision. The truth is, he's been backed now and there will be big pressure to deliver this season. Any excuses - even the ones dressed up as fair concerns - won't fly anymore. The thing is, Ole is extremely diligent and he will know the stakes have obviously risen after our summer business.

I'm not overly fussed by Martial. I think Ole was more than willing to let him go this summer, and he'll likely only feature when needs must. It's a credit to Ole that he gives nothing away to the media regarding our players futures. Away from watchful eyes, I'm pretty sure he has let the likes of Martial and Lingard know that they are surplus to requirements. It's odd that people criticise him for saying positive things about perceived 'deadwood players' in the media. I mean, it's obviously a facade and infinitely better than Jose's toxic nonsense.

I'm also absolutely buzzing for the season ahead, and the signing of Ronaldo has added extra excitement! I honestly think we have the squad to challenge this season. However, he's here 3.5 years at the end of the season and anything less than a good title challenge (within 7 to 8 points of the leaders), and a QF CL run, with an honourable exit, isn't good enough imo. Of course there are plenty of variables to both scenarios which have to be anslysed on an ongoing basis. If we finish a distant 4th,for example, and get humiliated in the CL, then he has to go.

Giving him another summer to sign a DM, who would close a huge gap, isn't reality. I have no issue if we finish 8 points off the top, and people claim that signing a top DM would get us closer to the title, as that's logical. However, if we're 15 odd points off, a DM isn't going to suddenly have us in contention. That's when we have to really question the coaching. All in all though, I feel super positive that we'll meet most people's targets. The targets most rational posters have set, are are on par with the length of his tenure and money spent. Obviously the agenda posters will set the bar too high, or too low, depending on their stance. A domestic cup isn't an outright requirement obviously, but it would be nice to get that first trophy. I really wish we had of won the EL, just purely as a platform to build upon.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When i watch all these videos with him (press conf., chats with players...) i feel bad for bashing him this much. He is so likeable. That chat with Varane about tempo is great.

Robbie Boy

For any tactical nerds out there who have a good understanding of his time at Molde, I have a question: Given the quality of the players we have signed, should we expect any change in our tactics/style this season?

I ask this for several reasons: When Ole started as full time manager, he spoke of a 3-year rebuild. A lot of posters with far more insight into his tactics than me, said his football at Molde was slightly different than what we were playing, and their pressing and transitional play was much quicker. He now has a team that is pretty much his own, or players he clearly trusts. There was also talk during the summer that he might move away from the double pivot, now that we have signed Varane to partner Maguire.

Our style of football/system, for me, is still something that needs a-lot of improvement. I know some don't like to hear it, but he is behind the best coaches when it comes to his style/tactics/system. Now don't get me wrong, he's often pulled off some brilliant tactical moves. I do think he's better tactically than some give him credit for, but let's be honest, he doesn't always get it right. Call it a personal preference, but I would love if he just had one system and it really worked, even if we were missing a-few players. I would love us to play better football too, on a more consistent basis. We've shown in the past that we can; Leeds this season is a prime example. I was honestly glued to the tv watching it, and it was just unreal. We followed that up with two totally opposite and uninspiring performances. The start of season excuse has it's merits, but we've been here too many times before.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its also hard to compare his spending with Jose or Van Gaal, considering he is the first manager since Ferguson who had the long term future in mind when making significant purchases. Of that 422M, he spent significant sums on Amad, Pellestri, Sancho, AWB etc, who are all quite young with their best years ahead of them. He also shifted a lot of older players and replaced them with younger ones, either from the academy or by rehabilitating other signings. His veteran acquisitions have either come through free transfers like Cavani or low opportunity cost like Ronaldo. Maguire and Varane might be the two readymade players he bought.

While he may have a player yet to materialize like Van de Beek, he doesn't have any of the catastrophes like Sanchez, Rojo or Di Maria.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I couldn't care if Ole wins a trophy or not - he can leave this job with his head held high.

This United is scary and will be great to see. Whoever's the manager after him will be very lucky to take over from him.

Hope he can reap the benefits of his own plans and expenditures.

Robbie Boy

I couldn't care if Ole wins a trophy or not - he can leave this job with his head held high.

This United is scary and will be great to see. Whoever's the manager after him will be very lucky to take over from him.

Hope he can reap the benefits of his own plans and expenditures.
Good summary. He's built our first genuinely title challenging squad since the Fergie era. Whether he's the man to lead us there is up for debate.

However, when he eventually leaves, he can stand over the fact that he brought the club a long way from the Moyes, LvG and Mourinho days. The structure he's leaving in place, is a brilliant foundation for a new manager to work with.

Tbh, I hope he proves to be the right man. Sure, I have my doubts. But I really don't enjoy the upheaval of new managers coming in and starting from square one. It would be best for all concerned if this just works out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Good summary. He's built our first genuinely title challenging squad since the Fergie era. Whether he's the man to lead us there is up for debate.

However, when he eventually leaves, he can stand over the fact that he brought the club a long way from the Moyes, LvG and Mourinho days. The structure he's leaving in place, is a brilliant foundation for a new manager to work with.

Tbh, I hope he proves to be the right man. Sure, I have my doubts. But I really don't enjoy the upheaval of new managers coming in and starting from square one. It would be best for all concerned if this just works out.
Yeah exactly. I mean I think about someone like Varane joining United and a manager like Ole then I do start hoping that maybe just maybe Ole could be better at management than sometimes meets the eye. I'd like him to do well here and would be happy with progress simply because all it takes is a moyes, Van gaal or mourinho to rip something up that has been built quite well and quickly within 3 years.

OleBoiii

For any tactical nerds out there who have a good understanding of his time at Molde, I have a question: Given the quality of the players we have signed, should we expect any change in our tactics/style this season?
I'm not a tactical nerd, but here goes:

It's a bit hard to compare the two situations, as his Molde team was quite dominant. He was given a lot of resources(relative to the Norwegian league) and subsequently had the strongest team on paper. Kind of like with Pep in the PL.

Because of this, his team would dominate almost every game. He'd generally play a high defensive line, with overlapping fullbacks, three midfielders who are comfortable with passing the ball around and a front three who's given a lot of freedom. Even when playing away fixtures against strong teams he'd play a high defensive line and assert himself. It was honestly quite similar to Pep's style, although obviously much less methodical.

I don't think we'll see this version of Ole while he manages us, though. Not when he has as many as 3 challengers that are comparable or better on paper. Having said that, I'm actually a bit impressed that he has chosen to adapt to such a high degree, rather than stick to his idealistic guns. Fergie was also an adaptable manager and I think it's obvious that Ole looks up to him.

TLDR;
Look at Fergie's last 2-3 years in charge. In terms of style(not formation), that is what we can expect. Attacking 80% of the time. Smart in the remaining 20%. 'Adaptable' in other words. Similar to now, but less sloppy and more points.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

I'm not a tactical nerd, but here goes:

It's a bit hard to compare the two situations, as his Molde team was quite dominant. He was given a lot of resources(relative to the Norwegian league) and subsequently had the strongest team on paper. Kind of like with Pep in the PL.

Because of this, his team would dominate almost every game. He'd generally play a high defensive line, with overlapping fullbacks, three midfielders who are comfortable with passing the ball around and a front three who's given a lot of freedom. Even when playing away fixtures against strong teams he'd play a high defensive line and assert himself. It was honestly quite similar to Pep's style, although obviously much less methodical.

I don't think we'll see this version of Ole while he manages us, though. Not when he has as many as 3 challengers that are comparable or better on paper. Having said that, I'm actually a bit impressed that he has chosen to adapt to such a high degree, rather than stick to his idealistic guns. Fergie was also an adaptable manager and I think it's obvious that Ole looks up to him.

TLDR;
Look at Fergie's last 2-3 years in charge. In terms of style(not formation), that is what we can expect. Attacking 80% of the time. Smart in the remaining 20%. 'Adaptable' in other words. Similar to now, but less sloppy and more points.
Thanks for the well articulated response! I didn't literally mean 'tactical nerd'. Just some on here put my tactical knowledge to shame.

I totally get the two situations aren't comparable. I just remember some on here that followed his spell at Molde, claimed that when he had a squad more in his vision, they could see him playing with more freedom.

Just regarding the double pivot; there was some talk this summer that he may not need to use 'McFred' so often, now we have Varane. Do you see that being the case at all?

For what it's worth, it sounds like he was a-bit of a revolutionary in Norway with his tactics. Furthermore, are you happy with our system/style of play, overall? If not, what improvements would you like to see this season?

Mr Smith

I ask this for several reasons: When Ole started as full time manager, he spoke of a 3-year rebuild. A lot of posters with far more insight into his tactics than me, said his football at Molde was slightly different than what we were playing, and their pressing and transitional play was much quicker. He now has a team that is pretty much his own, or players he clearly trusts. There was also talk during the summer that he might move away from the double pivot, now that we have signed Varane to partner Maguire.

Our style of football/system, for me, is still something that needs a-lot of improvement. I know some don't like to hear it, but he is behind the best coaches when it comes to his style/tactics/system. Now don't get me wrong, he's often pulled off some brilliant tactical moves. I do think he's better tactically than some give him credit for, but let's be honest, he doesn't always get it right. Call it a personal preference, but I would love if he just had one system and it really worked, even if we were missing a-few players. I would love us to play better football too, on a more consistent basis. We've shown in the past that we can; Leeds this season is a prime example. I was honestly glued to the tv watching it, and it was just unreal. We followed that up with two totally opposite and uninspiring performances. The start of season excuse has it's merits, but we've been here too many times before.
I don't have any insight into his time at Molde, but I think you have to manage expectations for playing any style involving pressing. For all his strengths, signing Ronaldo significantly limits our ability to press from the front.

It is interesting that his team in Molde played quite aggressive, pressing football. From my observations of Ole over the last two and a half years, he has been a largely pragmatic manager. He'll play an attacking style when he feels he can, but he is quite prepared to adapt to a more defensive approach if he doesn't feel we can dominate. I do think he has been working towards a more progressive team, but I honestly think signing Ronaldo could put that on hold.

OleBoiii

I just remember some on here that followed his spell at Molde, claimed that when he had a squad more in his vision, they could see him playing with more freedom.
I was probably one of these posters, but I've since come to realize that the PL is just too competitive to create an environment that's similar to his Molde days. Ole has also changed as a manager and abandoned some of his old principles, I think.

I was actually present at one of his most important games for Molde. His team was top of the table and headed to play my hometown, which had a strong team back then(2nd place, breathing down Molde's neck). If I remember correctly, a draw would almost guarantee them the trophy whereas a loss would make the next couple of weeks exciting. Despite all this, they still played a high defensive line and controlled the game. It ended in a draw, but they deserved the win. They lifted the trophy a few weeks later.

he may not need to use 'McFred' so often, now we have Varane. Do you see that being the case at all?
It's hard to tell. Pogba seems hard to bench right now and Rashford is quality as well, so it will be hard to keep both of them away from the starting XI. But if McFred provides the best balance, then I think that he will stick to this.

Furthermore, are you happy with our system/style of play, overall? If not, what improvements would you like to see this season?
I like adaptable managers who are attacking at heart. Therefore, I like Ole's style.

But I don't like sloppiness in midfield. We still very much need to fix that, one way or another. Throw prime Scholes or Carrick into this team, and I think we are as good as City. Perhaps better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.