Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

Took over a shit squad with low morale and no prospects of signing anyone worth a shit.

first, got rid of the worst offenders, replaced with youth and people who want to be here but the squad had a glaring weakness at number 10 and struggles. Signs Bruno and results improve, he manages the side to qualify for Champions League in spite of it being a 'Arsenal-esque' transition season with fears of finishing 8th due to investments made with other sides.

second, not backed in the transfer market and has a very disrupted preseason, but doesn't freak out like the previous manager that happened to, and bounces back to finish 2nd.

then, builds on the progress by adding a mix of quality and experience to the squad to try to reach the next level.

Some 'fans' now: no credit, its all down to the players. Its ridiculous really, you wouldn't say that about SAF with the sides he put together and relied on to get the job done. Obviously its early days, but ffs its his side. If they pull him through he also gets the credit for the work done on recruitment and the patience he's had to holistically sort the shit he inherited.

Sylar

Overall, Newcastle created the better chances which, when you consider we had Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, was surprising.

Can't be too harsh, though, as we're always going to concede a boatload of chances when Pogba and Matic are our midfield two. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1, Fred and McTominay need to come into the side ASAP. We're too easy to play through otherwise.

Problem is when it gets to each side there are no options. I don't know why we don't create overloads on the wings as it's not like we have a Marcelo who can dominate his wing alone. Everyone just stands centrally for the most part.
What better chances did they create? Unless you're for some reason not counting our goals as chances?

I agree about the centrally part. I think in the first half there was one point where ole was talking to phelan after a right wing mess up. Think our wing play will get better through the season especially with first time crosses given we have Ronaldo and the different choices we have

Droid_Repairs

Imagine making this post. No real man utd would make such a post.

Glory glory man utd, and the reds keep marching on! Go back to Leeds!
Dude, really?

His post wasn't pro Ole but it was reasonable. I personally disagree with hin and think that the first half wasn't terrible from us, rather frustrating against a Newcastle side that just wanted to time waste and defend.

But replying with "Glory glory man utd" and "go back to Leeds" is frankly a bit embarrassing. You might not agree with what @Amadaeus had to say, but at least his post was structured and reasoned, rather than just a cannonball barrage of random cliches.

NZT-One

We played good football. Dominated Newcastle from the off and constantly probed at them, was only a matter of when we'd score not if.
I think, good football is a pretty subjective term. I think, it was alright, but not much more. Newcastle isn't a great team, they played on the counter. I find it difficult to find specific things to credit the manager for to a bigger extent.

On the plus side: we won against a team that set up with a deep block with 4 goals. That is definitely good. We adjusted our approach to accomodate Ronaldo (using more crosses). We moved the ball well and there was always a feeling we could strike.

on the downside: Newcastle looked way too dangerous in some situations for my liking. Our defending was to casual. Our crossing approach didn't really lead to chances, we scored 4 goals (a keeper blunder, a wonderstrike, a counter(!) and a well worked goal). That is good but nothing to rest on.

Overall we played alright and we got the result most of us expected after a game that played out as many have expected. My way of evaluating the managers contribution is, he receives a few plus points for setting us up in a good way against the expected game plan of the opponent and he receives no minus points as he made no mistakes. Another day in the office but certainly not a match to prove a point. At least in my opinion.

I like how we look more dangerous on set pieces... Having Varane, Maguire and Ronaldo will be great for nicking goals, hopefully someone in the team will unlock a crossing value of above 83... Maybe Telles?!

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We didnt. In the first half we barely had a shot on goal, were all over the place and did really look like scoring.
3 shots on target in the first half.
4 shots on target in the second half.

We were fine, probing them throughout. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo getting familiar with our first team. Exciting times ahead. Going to be a really good season for us.

Ibi Dreams

That was Newcastle gameplan. To sit back and give us possession while they counter. It was until the second half when they tired abit, that we were able to break down their defense. Newcastle had mutiples chances on the counter that with better quality players they would have scored more. Rewatch the first half and see how we couldn’t break down their defense and how many counter chances Newcastle had, if Wilson was there instead of joelinton, Newcastle would have scored more. Can’t believe you dont see that, yet in the match day thread, our fans voice that exact sentiment through frustration.
But... they don't have better quality players. They have the players they played, and scored one goal.

We wouldn't have played like that against them if they had better quality players. They wouldn't have played like that themselves if they had better quality players. Every team that has ever won anything has had many games that they won despite conceding goals and chances, you're looking for perfection where it doesn't exist.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Against the 10 men defending around the box? Yes!
Then that is a very low standard you have towards what constitute as good football. We had lots of misplaced passes, was not intricate with our passing, our movements should have improved, and better decision and shooting was needed. Maybe I just have high standard.

He signed most of the talents that "bail him out".
I always praised ole for his signing. I have never criticized him about that and some claims that because of that he will make a good director of football over a manager.

Halftrack

Dude, really?

His post wasn't pro Ole but it was reasonable. I personally disagree with hin and think that the first half wasn't terrible from us, rather frustrating against a Newcastle side that just wanted to time waste and defend.

But replying with "Glory glory man utd" and "go back to Leeds" is frankly a bit embarrassing. You might not agree with what @Amadaeus had to say, but at least his post was structured and reasoned, rather than just a cannonball barrage of random cliches.
Don't defend @Amadaeus , he's a troll.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He really has won the managerial lottery with how things have transpired here :lol:

If he doesn't have an amazing season though then things will get uglier for him than they ever have. Needs to win something big. Personally think we might have got to that point some of us mentioned last season where we felt the team could outgrow him, as I don't think the football is any better than it was last season. The only question now is if Varane, Sancho and mainly Ronaldo can do enough to paper over cracks in our play where we struggled in certain situations a lot so far under Ole. If the football never improves but Ronaldo grabs enough goals to win us the title then he'll be safe for a long time and everyone will accept the flaws in our manager. Until Ronaldo retires :lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Ole is a lucky manager. Not only does he have the individual talents to bail him out if we are playing shite which I will not be surprised we will see more of this season, but now events that you Would not believe is happening to aid his fortune such as Wilson being out today and now, for our next game west ham best player in Antonio is suspended. I will have to take ole to Las Vegas with me.

If you watched the first half, can you say we played good football?
hahahahaha more from the guy who thought Ranieri was just lucky...... too funny.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I mean, that's just clearly not true. They had a 0.63 xG whereas ours was 2.58.
Fair enough! I guess, because I was so nervous everytime Almiron or Saint-Maximin ran through our team, it felt like more :lol:

podurban2

Then that is a very low standard you have towards what constitute as good football. We had lots of misplaced passes, was not intricate with our passing, our movements should have improved, and better decision and shooting was needed. Maybe I just have high standard.

I always praised ole for his signing. I have never criticized him about that and some claims that because of that he will make a good director of football over a manager.
I understand your other points, but how is that the manager’s fault?

Olecurls99

It is obvious that he is the weakest point in this huge squad. I hope the quality of the players cover the deficiencies he has as a manager.
If only they did that for Jose, David and Louis.

Come on players. Cover up for your managers deficiencies. The lack of credit given is sickening.

Amadaeus

Dude, really?

No worries dude, I am use to it on here. These type of poster have influence and have no room to listen to structured criticism. I am not bothered by it because I m confident towards what I see.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What better chances did they create? Unless you're for some reason not counting our goals as chances?

I agree about the centrally part. I think in the first half there was one point where ole was talking to phelan after a right wing mess up. Think our wing play will get better through the season especially with first time crosses given we have Ronaldo and the different choices we have
Yeah, I was wrong about the first part. My nerves everytime they came close to our goal just made it feel like they were more of a threat than they were :lol:

Suedesi

I'm not Ole's biggest fan, but come on! Trying to poke holes into the team's performance after an international break and Ronaldo's debut which we all knew it would take centerstage is a bit much. Just give it a few weeks / months to see how the team is gelling and then come and discuss on this thread.

This goes for the likes of @Wumminator and @Amadaeus who're stoking an endless (and useless imo) debate

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fair enough! I guess, because I was so nervous everytime Almiron or Saint-Maximin ran through our team, it felt like more :lol:
Yeah I get that :lol: thankfully once they got to our box they were usually handled quite well.

Olecurls99

Overall, Newcastle created the better chances which, when you consider we had Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, was surprising.

Can't be too harsh, though, as we're always going to concede a boatload of chances when Pogba and Matic are our midfield two. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1, Fred and McTominay need to come into the side ASAP. We're too easy to play through otherwise.

Problem is when it gets to each side there are no options. I don't know why we don't create overloads on the wings as it's not like we have a Marcelo who can dominate his wing alone. Everyone just stands centrally for the most part.
You're kidding right. 2.77xg to 0.62xg

Amadaeus

I understand your other points, but how is that the manager’s fault?
He can make a stand that in our attack, rather than consistently try for the risky passes, that we can implement a build up play that is meticulous and intricate. Have a talk with the players. He is the manager, not the players. The fourth goal we saw is how we should be playing when trying to break defense down, not trying aimless long balls and crosses.

like I said, I might just have high standards. Those constant risky passes might be more apt to the football we play though.

Regalia

We played good football.
Nah.

We won, Ronaldo was brilliant and will lift the team to scrape out those wins we couldn't get last season. The class and quality of our squad told in the end.

But good football? Hardly. At least try to be objective.

owlo

I'm not Ole's biggest fan, but come on! Trying to poke holes into the team's performance after an international break and Ronaldo's debut which we all knew it would take centerstage is a bit much. Just give it a few weeks / months to see how the team is gelling and then come and discuss on this thread.

This goes for the likes of @Wumminator and @Amadaeus who're stoking an endless (and useless imo) debate
Yea, it wasn't a great performance but gotta wait and see. I'm inclined to think there's becoming a rather large camp of 'reluctant Ole in' people - that is, people like myself who think he's a bit shit and wont win us stuff, but that there's not enough upside to replace him currently. End of season I'm sure I'll have my axe ready to swing.

Edit: Problem is, many of the 'Ole In' crew are nauseating and eat all the air. People reply to the provocation and away we go, again.

Olecurls99

That was Newcastle gameplan. To sit back and give us possession while they counter. It was until the second half when they tired abit, that we were able to break down their defense. Newcastle had mutiples chances on the counter that with better quality players they would have scored more. Rewatch the first half and see how we couldn’t break down their defense and how many counter chances Newcastle had, if Wilson was there instead of joelinton, Newcastle would have scored more. Can’t believe you dont see that, yet in the match day thread, our fans voice that exact sentiment through frustration.

it is hard to get through to some red tinted specs fan, when faced with reality. I share your same opinon, but true let overlook the negative of today because we had a good result. Ronaldo did what he was bought to do. So good day overall.
XG 2.77 to 0.62

Newcastle did not have better chances.

You can't just say anything

Sylar

Yeah, I was wrong about the first part. My nerves everytime they came close to our goal just made it feel like they were more of a threat than they were :lol:
Fair dos
Yeah ASM always looked a worry, thankfully the only one for us but I think he will do that to most teams

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Nah.

We won, Ronaldo was brilliant and will lift the team to scrape out those wins we couldn't get last season. The class and quality of our squad told in the end.

I am objective. We won 4-1, had plenty of shots. It wasn't like the Wolves game where we scraped out a win. We won easily and dominated Newcastle. Fact they were attempting to time waste after 20mins tells its own story.

Can't be arsed with the negative shite on here these days by arsehole posters who only seem to be happy when we drop points and play badly. feck them.

Mickson

Nah.

We won this game last season and we would've won without Ronaldo now as well.

E-mal

We still looked disjointed and not much thought is put into our attacking play.
I hope he does well but he doesnt fill me with confidence on the evidence of what I have seen from him since he has been here.
Credit to him though on how he has built a very good team.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Stoking a debate?
I’ve made about six posts in about ten months.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fair dos
Yeah ASM always looked a worry, thankfully the only one for us but I think he will do that to most teams
Almiron was a bar of soap, too. Slipping away from nearly every tackle we were making on him! Thankfully, we've got a mean defence so even if the make it through our midfield like they were doing, creating a clear chance will still take some doing.

NZT-One

I am objective. We won 4-1, had plenty of shots. It wasn't like the Wolves game where we scraped out a win. We won easily and dominated Newcastle. Fact they were attempting to time waste after 20mins tells its own story.

Can't be arsed with the negative shite on here these days by arsehole posters who only seem to be happy when we drop points and play badly. feck them.
The "negative shite" was started by the question, why this thread was so quiet no 5minutes after kick-off... Hope you keep that in mind while ranting.

Amadaeus

XG 2.77 to 0.62

Newcastle did not have better chances.

You can't just say anything
That stat is meaningless without the underlying context towards how those data was accumulated. When Newcastle broke, which they did a lot, they made wrongs decision consistently and was not clinical enough. There was many times when Newcastle players was open in the box for a drag back for easy goal, which was ignored. Simple factors like that which a player with a higher footballing IQ would notice isn’t implemented in those stats, amongst many other factors like the quality of players at their disposal.

Olecurls99

End of season I'm sure I'll have my axe ready to swing.
Yes. Ole inners are unreasonable.

You can tell your hoping for us to fail.

Ole inners like what they see on the whole and are annoyed with people trying to get him sacked with every bad performance. Baiting those trouble makers is fair game I say

Giggsyking

If only they did that for Jose, David and Louis.

Come on players. Cover up for your managers deficiencies. The lack of credit given is sickening.
He is miles better than Jose and LVG, he suits us much more than those managers, understands the club and the heritage of the club. He is the right personality to manage us. His tactical skill are not that good, or at least until now. To manage united you have to have the right personality and tactical coaching skills.

mu4c_20le

The "negative shite" was started by the question, why this thread was so quiet no 5minutes after kick-off... Hope you keep that in mind while ranting.
Keep what in mind? That some posters are wired differently and can't help but react negatively?

NZT-One

Yes. Ole inners are unreasonable.

You can tell your hoping for us to fail.

Ole inners like what they see on the whole and are annoyed with people trying to get him sacked with every bad performance. Baiting those trouble makers is fair game I say
First baiting them, then complain about constant negativity. Feels a bit fishy to me.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
3 shots on target in the first half.
4 shots on target in the second half.

We were fine, probing them throughout. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo getting familiar with our first team. Exciting times ahead. Going to be a really good season for us.
Our problem to create chances remains though. Hope Ole can fix that

Status
Not open for further replies.