Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nothing has changed my mind so far that he's made a big mistake not prioritising centre midfield in the summer over anything else. Huge hole that means we can't control games properly.
You're kidding yourself if you think a midfielder brought in would change that.

There is no magical midfielder that fixes our issue in possession.

Inferior teams with inferior midfielders can recycle the ball better than we can.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I can understand Dalot for Sancho, to bring shape to the back 4.

Varane for VdB kinda makes sense, VdB was offering very little and moving to back 3 gave width.

In theory Jesse has more legs than CR7 so would run the channels and also drop into midfield.

Matic for Bruno is tricky one, but assume it’s to try and shore it up and play for the draw.

Martial for Fred, went for the win with a few mins to go.

Not saying they would have been the subs I’d have made but that’s my reading of the situation.
I think your spot on with the thinking, I think the matic for Bruno was the one where he lost me though.

United Hobbit

Tonight was the first time I've got the faintest hint that unless he sorts things out, he could lose the dressing room at some point. It's great we've got players who have won things now and those that seemingly have a winning mentality, the trouble for Ole is they expect to be challenging to win things, not acting like Burnley

RonaldoVII

Ridiculous comment. Last season we got knocked out of the CL becsuse we lost against the group minnows that everyone else beat. Do you trust Solskjaer to get results in Villareal or Atalanta , 2 far superior teams to YB?
I'm not saying it's ideal we've lost today but it's also not us being knocked out. I think Young Boys are better than Istanbul and will pick up more points in this group, and neither Villarreal not Atalanta are better than Leipzig/PSG. Plus we're a better team with a deeper squad than last season. We've beaten better teams in Europe than Villarreal and Atalanta, too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It was really telling how we played after going a man down. I was keen to see how we would play. Would we try to keep the ball or just sit back and defend. A good coached team would try to keep the ball and kill the game that way.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ah here he is. Lead dementor and chief of the asylum. Enjoy the next 5 days. Feast. Must have been a difficult last few weeks for you.
I want us to win trophies. You think Ole's winning the league or CL? How many times does he need to prove that he isn't the guy before you people see? Look at the difference Tuchel has brought to Chelsea.

The United

We always seem to have a performance issue or something bad happens in every other game. Watch us score 4 goals against WHU next week, then who knows after.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I can see your point, but it'd really hard to defend him staying at that point.

Of course, it'd also depend on which manager was even available/willing to replace him mid-season.

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point. I think a lot of people here think most of us not convinced by Ole want him to fail for whatever reason. I'd love for him to be a massive success and prove me wrong. I just can't shake the nagging feeling that he just isn't a top level manager and we'll need 1 since we're going up against Pep and Klopp and even Tuchel.
I seriously doubt people want him to fail. More likely those who don’t think he has it in him would rather he fail badly enough so the club can take quick action to improve the situation, rather than limp along being a nearly man but never getting us anywhere.

Frankly I feel for him. He’s done a great job rebuilding the club and the squad. But with players like Ronaldo and Varane in, and Pogba teetering on the edge, I think we need to be competitive now. We can’t wait another season or two. Let’s not lose our WC players before bringing in an actual elite coach.

Of course if he turns it around then I’ll be super happy. I just don’t see any signs of it after all this time. Most elite coaches make their imprint from the first season.

TheMitz

I can't help but compare how Ole handled going down to 10 men tonight with how Tuchel did it against Liverpool.

luke511

Tonight was the first time I've got the faintest hint that unless he sorts things out, he could lose the dressing room at some point. It's great we've got players who have won things now and those that seemingly have a winning mentality, the trouble for Ole is they expect to be challenging to win things, not acting like Burnley
I'd like to think Bruno and Ronaldo will voice their frustration at the cowardly/clueless response to the red card. 5 at the back with 1 forward player is a shambles, there's zero chance of holding possession past the half way line.

RonaldoVII

Van De Beek should have come off and move Pogba into midfield. You need an outlet with 10 men, we didnt have one with that sub!
Sancho and Van de Beek were the only two realistic choices really. Sancho couldn't really get into the game with 11 men so it wasn't a surprise he was hooked. Donny was unlucky but I felt like Varane was needed.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Am I the only one relaxed here?

We're out of CL already?

Sack Ole now and restart again? 5 games into the season?

Mind blowing stuff here.
Restart what? That myth is mind blowing. That myth about rebuilding doesn't exist in any top club except in United.
Also we don't have players who are average anymore. We have top players. If new manager comes, nearly all will fit in his system.

We are wasting top team because we don't have a good manager

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I would put money on it not being such an issue for Villareal or Atalanta.
It wasnt such a massive issue for us either until we went down a man. Its not like Young Boys were doing any type of dominating then.

Fair play to them.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Very good man manager. Very good in the media.

Very bad tactics.

El Zoido

Ole has had hits and misses in his time as manager here, but sometimes he just gets it spectacularly wrong. He really didn’t know how to react to the red card.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ole has had hits and misses in his time as manager here, but sometimes he just gets it spectacularly wrong. He really didn’t know how to react to the red card.
Pretty much. Our highs under Ole are definitely the best post SAF from our managers.

But when we're bad under Ole, we are abysmal. The worst performances under Ole are comparable to the worst of Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose too.

We have too many ups and downs in performances.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I see the Ole outers were waiting to jump in with their pitchforks as soon as a bad result happened.

I mean it was Ole's fault that AWB was an idiot. Maybe we shouldn't have lost in the end but when down to 10 men there is always a good chance of what happened today actually happening.

Name Changed

weso26
It wasnt such a massive issue for us either until we went down a man. Its not like Young Boys were doing any type of dominating then.

Fair play to them.
Yeah they did well. But we should be able to play with 10 men. 19 shots to 2 according to the stats. It's as if no team has ever won a game after getting a player red carded.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah they did well. But we should be able to play with 10 men. 19 shots to 2 according to the stats. It's as if no team has ever won a game after getting a player red carded.
No of course.

It was a bad performance from everyone on the pitch.

luke511

I see the Ole outers were waiting to jump in with their pitchforks as soon as a bad result happened.

I mean it was Ole's fault that AWB was an idiot. Maybe we shouldn't have lost in the end but when down to 10 men there is always a good chance of what happened today actually happening.
They have good reason, if a manager does dumb shit repeatedly people will complain about it.

E-mal

Don't really blame Ole for tonight. Individual errors buggered us. Had we gotten away with a draw we'd be praising the effort of the boys.
That mentality right there is pathetic, we should be putting that tram to the sword 10 men or not.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

After the summer we had with this squad of players, we should be challenging for the league and the Champions League. Seriously challenging. And we have to win a trophy somewhere in there along with the serious challenging for the main competitions bit. Winning the FA Cup while being far off the PL or CL won't cut it anymore, as there are managers out there that will have us challenging for all these with our squad.
I doubt we will be challenging for the premier league. If lucky we might get past the group stages of the champions league but that's as far as we'll go. Might get a couple of cup runs but we'll abottle it again with Ole's limited tactics. Likely scrape 4th, and ole will have met his minimum requirements for the season. He won't be sacked.

meamth

United lost? 10 men? Away? Astro turf? Trying to protect the lead with superior quality defenders?

Doesn't matter. No excuses. He is shit. His coaching staff cannot coach. The players weren't trying to play football.

Whatever mate. I'm mad we lost, but come on now. 15 points left to play for, sack him tomorrow is just childish comments.

It won't happen, go to sleep.

JG3001

Zidane would be interesting given he has personal relationships with a few of our key players. Also has experience coaching at the highest level, obviously.

Wasn't he oddly not worshipped at Real despite the ridiculous CL record?
I had my reservations about him originally, but as you say, I think with some the players we now have (Ronaldo, Varane, Pogba) there’s that connection to work from as a base.

Plus at the end of the day, he has won all the big trophies recently and consistently, think it’s silly to write him off at this stage. Think he would have the balls to outright drop poor performing players as well.

I can only guess that Real fans, like many of us, were convinced he just benefitted by having a great team, but I think that’s a bit unfair looking back.

United Hobbit

I'd like to think Bruno and Ronaldo will voice their frustration at the cowardly/clueless response to the red card. 5 at the back with 1 forward player is a shambles, there's zero chance of holding possession past the half way line.
Yep they're the ones who gave me the impression he could lose the dressing room

Roboc7

Can’t blame the sending off or Lingard’s stupidity on Ole, the overly negative tactics are Ole’s fault though as was the poor game management.

He’s a very ordinary manager and at times it’s going to cost us.

United Irishman

Got exactly what they deserved. 1-1 would still have been a joke of a performance and a shocking result. I'd say it's the type of coaching performance that makes a lot of players lose faith in what they're being asked to do. In that situation they needed 4 at the back, solid 3 in midfield and two with energy at the top of the pitch. To sink so deep because you lose one man is absolutely mental. Did United have another shot after the red card? You can't play 60 minutes and not have any spells of possession or any attacking threat. I'd overlook it if you were playing Pep's Barcelona team. Ole made the team worse with every set of substitutions and tactical decisions he made. An absolute horror show.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Christ on a bike. Get a grip on yourselves you absolute weapons.

We had to play the match with 10 men for 55+ minutes because of a brainless challenge and lost the match at 94 minutes because of another brain fart.

It wasnt a great match by any means, 1st half was poor but controlled until AWB went of and 2nd half was diabolical, but the fact that you come straight in here with the usual "clueless" and "fraud" shit says it all really. Besides the goal and the gift from Lingaard they created next to nothing except some tame long range attempts and easily dealt with crosses

In your minds, everything that goes well is in spite of him or because of external forces and everything that goes badly is his fault. This despite the fact we very much lost because of two MASSIVE individual mistakes. Where as when things go well its all "individual brilliance". Feck off you hypocrites.

"The subs were bad". Have you ever played football? If you have to play with one player less its fecking exhausting, even more so at a pro level because you have to run like you life depends on it all the time. Especially when you get reduced to 10 so early in the game. Both Bruno and Ronaldo were working their socks off and if the game ended the same with those two on the pitch you would have slammed him for not making any subs

"Its Young Boys". Its the fecking CL. Good teams exist outside of the big 5 you know? You have plenty of decent leagues where loads of teams have to fight for a few spots. If you think every team thats not from England/Spain/Italy/Germany/France are a bunch of mugs you're a fool

The mood around the club has not been as good as it has been in years. We had a great window, the squad is looking better than it has done in ages with loads of young talent and we even got a modern Legend back into the fold. Currently top of the league, despite very much looking like we are yet to come out of 2nd gear. Yet all it takes is one defeat for you to come howling for blood. If it was level headed criticism and rational posts like for example @NZT-One brings. Fine. Spectacular even. But going into hiding for months on end and then piping up with your "fraud" comments as soon as we lose means no one should take you seriously

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I can't help but compare how Ole handled going down to 10 men tonight with how Tuchel did it against Liverpool.
What about when Tuchel lost 5-2 at home to West Brom a few months back after being 1-0 up before losing a man?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I'm interested to see who people around here want him to be replaced with, should he go.
Zidane and Conte are the most mentioned ones.

Some are interested in the likes of Potter as well it seems.

Ten Hag to me is easily better than Ole, but not sure if he has the aura of a Man United manager. All the managers we have post SAF were based on some sentiment. Moyes the Scottish decent game, LvG the former great coach coming off a great World Cup, Mourinho by that time already heavily passed it, the unproven Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, United icon. Giggs would have probably been next.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Bayern did pay 25m to get Nagelsman... how much would they give for Ole? Hipster manager Nagelsman that lost to Ole so he wasnt a good manager according to RedCaf
He beat him when it mattered more with a far less invested in team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.