Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I can't help but compare how Ole handled going down to 10 men tonight with how Tuchel did it against Liverpool.
This is true.....but then you are talking about a guy who got sacked by PSG for being behind Lille at Xmas last season. He's not infallible either clearly.

Ole had a mare tonight but his players let him down massively.

luke511

Can’t blame the sending off or Lingard’s stupidity on Ole, the overly negative tactics are Ole’s fault though as was the poor game management.

He’s a very ordinary manager and at times it’s going to cost us.
Lingard's mistake is on him, but Lingard has never played that holding position in his life, yet he was put there in place of Fred for the last 5 minutes, that's on Solskjaer. That pass stinks of positional inexperience.

Halftrack

I see the Ole outers were waiting to jump in with their pitchforks as soon as a bad result happened.

I mean it was Ole's fault that AWB was an idiot. Maybe we shouldn't have lost in the end but when down to 10 men there is always a good chance of what happened today actually happening.
To be fair, his and the teams reaction to the red was poor, the tactical switch a tad too careful, and the subs were kind of dumbfounding. There are mitigating factors, but Ole has to take a portion of the blame for the result.

That being said, a lot of people have clearly been champing at the bit, waiting for the opportunity to really lay into him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can’t blame the sending off or Lingard’s stupidity on Ole, the overly negative tactics are Ole’s fault though as was the poor game management.

He’s a very ordinary manager and at times it’s going to cost us.
The sending off was not his fault, but going negative and putting us in a position to be under pressure leads to mistakes.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be wrong, but from what i have seen i think we will struggle to win something. We are not consistent enough. We play well two games and then play bad another two.

Shark

@NotShark
Aside from that 5-1 Leeds dubbing can anyone really say we look good so far this season? A woeful Southampton held us to a 1-1 draw when we should of went into that game absolutely flying. You look at the exciting squad we've got now and the excitement on top of that with Ronaldo coming back and think 'this lot should be buzzing' but we continue to look totally labored. I'm not sure you can put it down to anything besides something clearly not working with our manager and his staff when we can't even ride off momentum if nothing else.

ti vu

It was really telling how we played after going a man down. I was keen to see how we would play. Would we try to keep the ball or just sit back and defend. A good coached team would try to keep the ball and kill the game that way.
Even if we choose to defend, at least try to make sense with our set up. We have been having too many terrible result out of 5 at the back than impressive one out of it, and our manager still decide to go for it. And by doing that with 10 men, meaning abandon midfield and kill off any of our own attack. It's not just defensive or possession based football. It's clueless.

el3mel

Bayern did pay 25m to get Nagelsman... how much would they give for Ole? Hipster manager Nagelsman that lost to Ole so he wasnt a good manager according to RedCaf
Is this for real ? :lol: Did you actually watch the last game of the group ?

meamth

Christ on a bike. Get a grip on yourselves you absolute weapons.

We had to play the match with 10 men for 55+ minutes because of a brainless challenge and lost the match at 94 minutes because of another brain fart.

It wasnt a great match by any means, 1st half was poor but controlled until AWB went of and 2nd half was diabolical, but the fact that you come straight in here with the usual "clueless" and "fraud" shit says it all really. Besides the goal and the gift from Lingaard they created next to nothing except some tame long range attempts and easily dealt with crosses

In your minds, everything that goes well is in spite of him or because of external forces and everything that goes badly is his fault. This despite the fact we very much lost because of two MASSIVE individual mistakes. Where as when things go well its all "individual brilliance". Feck off you hypocrites.

"The subs were bad". Have you ever played football? If you have to play with one player less its fecking exhausting, even more so at a pro level because you have to run like you life depends on it all the time. Especially when you get reduced to 10 so early in the game. Both Bruno and Ronaldo were working their socks off and if the game ended the same with those two on the pitch you would have slammed him for not making any subs

"Its Young Boys". Its the fecking CL. Good teams exist outside of the big 5 you know? You have plenty of decent leagues where loads of teams have to fight for a few spots. If you think every team thats not from England/Spain/Italy/Germany/France are a bunch of mugs you're a fool

The mood around the club has not been as good as it has been in years. We had a great window, the squad is looking better than it has done in ages with loads of young talent and we even got a modern Legend back into the fold. Currently top of the league, despite very much looking like we are yet to come out of 2nd gear. Yet all it takes is one defeat for you to come howling for blood. If it was level headed criticism and rational posts like for example @NZT-One brings. Fine. Spectacular even. But going into hiding for months on end and then piping up with your "fraud" comments as soon as we lose means no one should take you seriously
I wish more people have some sense like you.

They think football is like FIFA, you have better team, you should win regardless of what happened today.

Fecking bellends these lot.

They write off Ole because 'they know it'. Stupidest thing I read in my life.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

We had to play the match with 10 men for 55+ minutes because of a brainless challenge and lost the match at 94 minutes because of another brain fart.

It wasnt a great match by any means, 1st half was poor but controlled until AWB went of and 2nd half was diabolical, but the fact that you come straight in here with the usual "clueless" and "fraud" shit says it all really. Besides the goal and the gift from Lingaard they created next to nothing except some tame long range attempts and easily dealt with crosses

In your minds, everything that goes well is in spite of him or because of external forces and everything that goes badly is his fault. This despite the fact we very much lost because of two MASSIVE individual mistakes. Where as when things go well its all "individual brilliance". Feck off you hypocrites.

"The subs were bad". Have you ever played football? If you have to play with one player less its fecking exhausting, even more so at a pro level because you have to run like you life depends on it all the time. Especially when you get reduced to 10 so early in the game. Both Bruno and Ronaldo were working their socks off and if the game ended the same with those two on the pitch you would have slammed him for not making any subs

"Its Young Boys". Its the fecking CL. Good teams exist outside of the big 5 you know? You have plenty of decent leagues where loads of teams have to fight for a few spots. If you think every team thats not from England/Spain/Italy/Germany/France are a bunch of mugs you're a fool

The mood around the club has not been as good as it has been in years. We had a great window, the squad is looking better than it has done in ages with loads of young talent and we even got a modern Legend back into the fold. Currently top of the league, despite very much looking like we are yet to come out of 2nd gear. Yet all it takes is one defeat for you to come howling for blood. If it was level headed criticism and rational posts like for example @NZT-One brings. Fine. Spectacular even. But going into hiding for months on end and then piping up with your "fraud" comments as soon as we lose means no one should take you seriously
That last part is a bit false isnt it, when posters have criticism even when we win despite poor level of performances, they are accused of always wanting to criticise Ole and we won so therefore everything is perfect. If there is criticism after a loss, they are called knee-jerk anyway.

No one has come out of hiding.

I don't think Ole should be sacked this very moments but the criticism is there even when we do win matches.

Norris Cole

If we go Gung ho and get beaten 3-1 Ole would also be getting it in the neck.

It was a bad performance, the players made mistakes, Ole made some mistakes - its just one game and doesn't define the season.

Move on. In Ole we trust

Norris Cole

I think people forget how dire some of the early European away games were even under Fergie. If we scrape a draw today we move on and nobody questions Ole. It was unfortunate but let's reserve judgement for the end of the season

luke511

Because it was Ole's fault AWB was sent off and then Lingard gifted them a goal.

How is that on the manager?
Lingard shouldn't have been put in Fred's position for the last 5 minutes, when has he ever played there? Like I've just said, the pass stinks of inexperience of playing that deep role, it's an absolute howler from Lingard but Solskjaer has fecked up by not having Fred see the game out in that position instead. One example of the many dumb tactical decisions made by Solskjaer.

pascell

If we fail to get out of this group he should leave.

No way after 3 years should we still be looking for an identity because I don’t see one. Just a bunch of individuals waiting for something good to happen.
Completely agree, has been apparent since Bruno came as well, hoping he'll pull us out the muck and make Ole look like he knows what he's doing tactically.

There's no way, no way, with even 10 men we shouldn't lost or drawn tonight. Taking a CM off for a CB and leaving Pogba on the LW was suicidal.

The worst thing is, Ole doesn't look like he's learning with his subs and in game management, it was a complete clusterfeck tonight

MonkeysMagic

The bright spark that decided to hand Ole a new contract needs to go along with him. When no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is showing interest in hiring your manager in the final year of contract, to then award him a new contract is the epitome of bad business acumen.

TheMitz

As long as he finishes top 4, the Glazers and his shills on here will be more than happy to see him remain in charge.
Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba and Varane won't be happy with just top 4.

they have a winning mentality which could ultimately cause trouble for Ole in the long run

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be wrong, but from what i have seen i think we will struggle to win something. We are not consistent enough. We play well two games and then play bad another two.
We do?

Stadjer

Is this for real ? :lol: Did you actually watch the last game of the group ?
What? I am trying to imply that Nagelsman is a much better manager than Ole :lol:

Last season Ole did beat Nagelsman and if i remember correctly that was the proof that Ole in supporters needed so they could claim that Nagelsman is just a hipster manager instead of a good manager.

Lord Zlatan

Plenty of teams go down to 10 men and work with it. Look at Chelsea last week at Anfield. When the sending off happened Ole was like a rabbit in the headlights. Clueless game management. Just like PSG last year, just like the europa league final. Our last two games in Europe we have to lost to Young Boys and Villa Real. And we are challengers for the premier league and champions league?

He has done a fantastic job turning the club around. The atmosphere last Saturday was the best i have experienced at OT since the Blackburn game in 93. For that he can always take credit. The club was a complete shit show when he took over. But at the very top level, where margins are fine and in game decisions need to be made and to be correct, where trophies need to be won, he is sadly not in the top drawer.

Infra-red

Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba and Varane won't be happy with just top 4.

they have a winning mentality which could ultimately cause trouble for Ole in the long run
Pogba will be gone at some point in the next eight months. The others will grumble, but as long as we're top 4, it will fall on deaf ears.

Doesn't rock the boat, won't moan if he doesn't get a midfielder, publicly defends the owners in the face of fan protest. He's going nowhere, sadly. He'll be the manager for years to come.

E-mal

He hasn't played for about 2 years.

Like I said, he got it wrong. The subs were laughable, game management was non existent.

Martial and Lingard, shouldn't be anywhere near the club, but here they are playing in the CL. Bringing these two on in any game is wrong, tonight it was totally fcuking wrong.

But, identity and tactics means fcuk all if seasoned professionals including 2 world cup winners can't organise themselves on the pitch against one of the worst teams in the CL with 10 men.
Well Wagner's team looked drilled and organised with a purpose.
This is professional football, there is no room for any margin of error, a well coached team will give you issues despite your talent pool if you depend on individualism.

meamth

The bright spark that decided to hand Ole a new contract needs to go along with him. When no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is showing interest in hiring your manager in the final year of contract, to then award him a new contract is the epitome of bad business acumen.
...You would think Real Madrid or Barcelona trying to offer Ole to leave his beloved club as a realistic offer.

Why would they waste their time writing emails, contracts, hire lawyers for someone they know wouldn't be interested.

Stupid.

You think Real Madrid would try to lure Sir Alex with money, no? Why waste your time like that?

Even better what do you think Ole will say on his press conference with Real Madrid?

"I love United, but managing Real Madrid has always been my dream since I've first started playing FM."

ti vu

What about when Tuchel lost 5-2 at home to West Brom a few months back after being 1-0 up before losing a man?
Compare stats between the 2 games.

Freak result happens. However, the approach, the long term vision, philosophy is not even comparable. Will be hard for Ole to beat CL triumph, trying to mimic how other managers' freak result.

Raven

Nail on the head really. Ole did make some questionable decisions this evening but this pile on is obscene.

DON’T PANIC ™

Forgetting about today and going down to ten men, I think Ole generally tries to be far too clever with his subs. Most times the obvious changes are the right changes to make. He rarely makes like for like subs. Instead each change requiring a change in shape of the team. How many times do we fail to make chances once the subs start?

Going back to tonight, normally if a defender is sent off, it’s a forward that pays the price. He did take Sancho off when arguably it should have been Ronaldo but he obviously didn’t want to take off our talisman.
None of the subs after half time made sense. Pogba + Fred doesn’t work. Going five at the back just brought Young Boys on to us. Keeping numbers in midfield would have allowed us to have more possession. Instead we were hanging on.

Red00012

Granted Ole didn’t get AWB sent off but it’s his job as manager to sort / fix the problem . He did until half time and then succeeded to lose his marbles by leaving Fred alone in midfield . This loss is on him

Raven

Aside from that 5-1 Leeds dubbing can anyone really say we look good so far this season? A woeful Southampton held us to a 1-1 draw when we should of went into that game absolutely flying. You look at the exciting squad we've got now and the excitement on top of that with Ronaldo coming back and think 'this lot should be buzzing' but we continue to look totally labored. I'm not sure you can put it down to anything besides something clearly not working with our manager and his staff when we can't even ride off momentum if nothing else.
Perhaps our last game where we smashed Newcastle 4-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.