Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Yes

But so far we have faced no top side and our performances are still with many ????????.

Leeds = Very good performance
Southampton (Relegation side in my opinion) = Poor result and poor performance
Wolverhampton = We were very lucky because we should have been 3-0 or 4-0 down at half-time
Newcastle = Awful first half.....good second half.
Young Boys = No words.
Yeah, we have a terrible record against the good sides, don't We?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are basically where we were when we finished bottom of our group in 2005-06. This United side has no record in Europe, it needs to start from scratch and build one.

Thinking back to our 2006-07 campaign we also had some bad group stage results and edgy wins. It was a team re-learning to be in the Champions League. At that stage in the learning curve you can't take for granted any result.

I would have taken a 1-0 and I am sure we'd have got it but for AWB. We definitely would have got a point but for Lingard.

I am as gutted as anyone but I have some perspective. It's been a long time since we were a European power. The way back there will involve stumbling blocks.
We were fantastic in Europe between 2007 and 2011 but even then we were winning by mostly putting together professional performances and grinding out results in close games. You could count on us getting a result most nights but it would rarely be a battering. Then we had a massive off year in 2011-12 in what looked like the easiest group ever (Benfica, Basel, Otelul) which made me never take it for granted that we would progress out of the group. Ferguson’s final year and Moyes season were reasonably good but we have been absolutely garbage in Europe ever since indeed. Last years campaign was probably our best since, only made bad by that one performance against Istanbul and EL final (and first half against Leipzig). All other games were okay to great.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I see the Ole outers were waiting to jump in with their pitchforks as soon as a bad result happened.

I mean it was Ole's fault that AWB was an idiot. Maybe we shouldn't have lost in the end but when down to 10 men there is always a good chance of what happened today actually happening.
Funny how often that sentence is written there. We don't jump in, we are every second game here. That shows how bad our manager is.

It is not about loss. Shots were 20-2. 20-2!

Infra-red

What the club will do and what they should do are different things.
I agree. I wanted him gone two years ago and never thought he was up to it in the first place. I'm fully aware that my view is a minority one though and that the club are entirely comfortable with 4th place finishes for the next 10 seasons.

I've made my peace with it - he's here to stay for many (barren) years.

meamth

Fred should've seen the game out end of discussion, if he had it would've finished 1-1. The switch fecked with the shape of the midfield, which led to Lingard having a howler trying to play the deep role. It all could've been avoided with better tactics and management.
It was Pogba and Matic as midfield 2.

And then there was golden boy Lingard trying to influence the game getting the ball from deep.

Who can predict that? Nobody.

Professional player underhit a pass? Coaching staff should've known that. Right.

Giggsyking

I haven't said he should be sacked.
If he does not win the league or the CL. He should be catapulted out of the club. Full stop. We are not a training facility where he learn the ABC of coaching. This manager lacks the basics of coaching and tactical knowledge. It is not strange though when you know his only serious management in the premier league ended with relegation of his team after buying 18 players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Fred should've seen the game out end of discussion, if he had it would've finished 1-1. The switch fecked with the shape of the midfield, which led to Lingard having a howler trying to play the deep role. It all could've been avoided with better tactics and management.
It could have been avoided had Lingard just not played an idiotic pass. Why is the only option that Lingard had to play shit in this scenario? He wasn't playing a "deep" role. He had 3 CBs and two tucked in full backs behind him, he decided to pass right through them.

Oranges038

Well Wagner's team looked drilled and organised with a purpose.
This is professional football, there is no room for any margin of error, a well coached team will give you issues despite your talent pool if you depend on individualism.
They also had a night where all their players were going at 100% because they were playing against one of the biggest teams in the world at home. They smelled blood after the red card and went for it and in the end, got a deserved win, even if it was a massive fcuk up that gave them the winner.

Ole got nearly every decision wrong, but this thing that he relies on individualism is nonsense.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Funny how some of the Ole-before-club people on here are mad we are discussing his dire performance in the performance thread. Then they whine when we discuss it in the main forum.

And they always direct their little cultural snapbacks to the poster and not the post. They know he's not up to it and it's crystal clear this is the case. That's why all the dissembling and deflection in this thread is hardly surprising.

hobbers

If we don't beat Villarreal at OT we probably aren't getting out of this group.

Make or break time for Ole's reputation as being a manager worthy of coaching in the CL.

Redlyn

I agree. I wanted him gone two years ago and never thought he was up to it in the first place. I'm fully aware that my view is a minority one though and that the club are entirely comfortable with 4th place finishes for the next 10 seasons.

I've made my peace with it - he's here to stay for many (barren) years.
I'm sure we will get some trophy wins along the way. The squad is too good to be barren for too much longer. We got to 1 pk away last season. Unfortunately any trophy will buy him an extra decade of running in quicksand. Yay.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If he does not win the league or the CL. He should be catapulted out of the club. Full stop. We are not a training facility where he learn the ABC of coaching. This manager lacks the basics of coaching and tactical knowledge. It is not strange though when you know his only serious management in the premier league ended with relegation of his team after buying 18 players.
Think he will only get sacked if like Moyes we are out of the Top 4. Don't think that will happen. As long as the money is coming in, then he will try to get his midfielder and whoever else and it will start all over again. That he has a team who can do the business anyway.

Name Changed

weso26
It was Pogba and Matic as midfield 2.

And then there was golden boy Lingard trying to influence the game getting the ball from deep.

Who can predict that? Nobody.

Professional player underhit a pass? Coaching staff should've known that. Right.
The coaching team should know that parking the bus for an hour and booting the ball away at every opportunity was eventually going to cost us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You realize Zenit is right behind us according to UEFA coefficient ranking right? What european trophies has Young Boys won?

Apple, orange. Which is it?
Most of the people making these dumb statements hardly watch football beyond the PL. Hardly surprising they're talking absolute shite.

manunited1919

I still remember SAF giving Nani a public roasting after Nani was unable to keep possesion os the ball in the corner and see out a game, which cost us the game and possibly a cup. And Nani was 20x the player that Lindgard is.

I cannot ever see Ole doing anything like that to show that he is the one in charge. He needs to have the balls to be ruthless, or he will never make it.

meamth

You realize Zenit is right behind us according to UEFA coefficient ranking right? What european trophies has Young Boys won?

Apple, orange. Which is it?
coefficient ranking meant how many points you accumulate by playing in Europe for each season.

Doesn't translate team strength whatsoever.

There can be good small teams, doesn't relatable to their coefficient points.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m starting to think some in here would be happy to never win a trophy again.

We are Manchester United FC. Not Ole Gunnar Solskjær FC.

Chelsea fans love Lampard, but he clearly wasn’t the guy. They got a proper manager in & won the CL within a few months. If we want to get back on top there is no shame in admitting we need a proper manager. There’s no excuses for him now, he has an elite squad at his disposal.

Raven

I still remember SAF giving Nani a public roasting after Nani was unable to keep possesion os the ball in the corner and see out a game, which cost us the game and possibly a cup. And Nani was 20x the player that Lindgard is.

I cannot ever see Ole doing anything like that to show that he is the one in charge. He needs to have the balls to be ruthless, or he will never make it.
We've seen him give players shit plenty of times. I have absolutely no doubt that Jesse got the hairdryer when he got into the dressing room.

Godfather

Nobody in his right mind could honestly claim he is a manager good enough to for a world class team

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Some Ole defender explain the thinking in bringing on Martial to close out a game with 10 men?

How is a player notorious for not giving a feck gonna help a team hugely under pressure?

Raven

Some Ole defender explain the thinking in bringing on Martial to close out a game with 10 men?

How is a player notorious for not giving a feck gonna help a team hugely under pressure?
Martial should have come on earlier instead of Jesse, trying to use Jesse as our outlet was brain dead, worst decision Ole's made in some time.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Even when we've got 11 men we're incapable of controlling the tempo of a game, so tonight was inevitable from the moment AWB got his red. We're either fully attacking or scrambling back to defend. Ole just doesn't seem to have a middle gear.

That's partly down to personnel and is something we needed to address in the summer. But he invited it tonight by ceding the middle ground and hoping for the best. It was, at best, totally lacking in imagination.

tomaldinho1

...They want total football 98% possession, 0 mistakes, 66 shot attempts

Only then Ole can get the praise.
The annoying things about this kind of sarcastic post is that possession is so important in the CL.

Let's see in the Chelsea game, maybe Zenit will nick an equaliser but they just can't get the ball. The best teams are obsessed by controlling possession, we for some reason just aren't arsed with it - we were trying to play direct football with 10 men. I don't want us to go back to the extremities of LVG but we need to improve on it massively OR actually get an organised press in place.

Redlyn

He would scowl and they would back down. Obviously.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Ole publically destroyed Lingard against city and then subbed him.

LoneStar

This is the best squad we have had in a long time. I would be really pissed if we threw this season away in the name of some rebuild. This cycle of wanting new players in the squad will never end.

If we are facing going out of the CL groups again, he should be sacked. Absolutely zero excuses to be getting out of this easy group. Wtf were those subs in the second half?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Wins with 'Individual brilliance' = 0% Ole
Losses with key Individual errors = 100% Ole

James35

Nothing changes for me. We could have won 0-3 tonight and I'm still Ole out. At least I'm consistent in my belief he is not good enough.

Giggsyking

Think he will only get sacked if like Moyes we are out of the Top 4. Don't think that will happen. As long as the money is coming in, then he will try to get his midfielder and whoever else and it will start all over again. That he has a team who can do the business anyway.
I know the glazers cares much about the money, but they cant be happy being the 2nd most spending club in the world since his arrival and every other club has won everything except us. They have a level of patience that he is going to cross.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is the best squad we have had in a long time. I would be really pissed if we threw this season away in the name of some rebuild. This cycle of wanting new players in the squad will never end.

If we are facing going out of the CL groups again, he should be sacked. Absolutely zero excuses to be getting out of this easy group. Wtf were those subs in the second half?
What rebuild? The rebuild is complete. We have one of the best squads in the world. The reason we won’t win anything is because our coach is nowhere near the level of the squad he has. But redcafe isn’t ready for that conversation.

LoneStar

If we go Gung ho and get beaten 3-1 Ole would also be getting it in the neck.

It was a bad performance, the players made mistakes, Ole made some mistakes - its just one game and doesn't define the season.

Move on. In Ole we trust
Mate, it doesn't have to be ultra defensive or going gung go. There's a lot in between those two extremes.

The way we were set up was bound to fail. Everyone could see that second goal coming, all except Ole and his coaching team apparently.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I know the glazers cares much about the money, but they cant be happy being the 2nd most spending club in the world since his arrival and every other club has won everything except us. They have a level of patience that he is going to cross.
Thing is we now have Ronaldo in the fold. He might not be impressed and could make waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.