Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

He’s making it really hard to like him, how can he not see what literally everyone else see’s in our matches, i expect more piss poor performances if we play with these 2 as CDM
It makes the "he has his badges and we don't" posters here look so silly.

The guy actually doesnt see it and he thinks it is working. Ole actually reps McFred with no shame, we stand no chance. Dont know if I want him sacked now or later in the season but come on, he will only take us this far.

passing-wind

Wheels falling off I've been saying it for a week. One minute he's saying about thinking of winning the league, next minute highlighting draws or a loss as acceptable. Sounds like someone who's unsure if himself.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why hasn’t Ole bitched about our only two defensive midfielders and slated their confidence? I really don’t get it.

Robbie Boy

Inspires no confidence, does Ole with his words. :(
I've never been a huge fan of listening to him speak. I know some on here pretend he's some kind of misunderstood comic genius, but I'm not buying it. He looks so awkward speaking in front of the camera, and he doesn't have the conviction of someone who's managing one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's only my opinion of course.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why hasn’t Ole bitched about our only two defensive midfielders and slated their confidence? I really don’t get it.
Going to the other extreme I see.

Our most defensive midfielder is Matic anyway, Fred and McTominay could classify as box to box.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I would argue you coming 2nd and us coming consistently 3rd or 4th is similar in that it's not good enough, made worse by not winning any other trophy and by doing poorly in Europe.
But in the PL, the margins are so small.
Both City and Chelsea have the same financial capabilites as you have, and have been using them to the fullest. Liverpool and Arsenal are not far behind. The teams are all stacked with quality. And apart from Arsenal, they're all managed exceptionally well at the moment.
And then, it's very hard to improve to the point where you can actually beat out those competitors, and finally beat out Pep's City to a title: it took all of the "mentality monster"-dom that Klopp could get his team to muster up, to do it for one single season. And there just isn't a tree where Klopps or Guardiolas grow, there really is just the two of them.

Even last season's CL exit, yes it was poor as it hinged on a horrible, inexcusable loss to that weak Istanbul side, but then again it was a bit of a tricky group, and if that exit had been down to two losses against PSG, for example, it wouldn't have seemed to poor.
This season, of course, a group stage exit would be laughably bad, considering that you're facing more of an Europa League group in terms of opponents, and would surely be grounds for a sacking - but then, all that happened so far is one surprise loss, there are still 5 games to play and we can't seriously be talking like you are about to go out of the group, can we? You should cross that bridge if you ever get there, which I absolutely doubt you will.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Fred and McTominay do give everything they've got, the problem of course is that's nowhere near enough for a club like United.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
But in the PL, the margins are so small.
Both City and Chelsea have the same financial capabilites as you have, and have been using them to the fullest. Liverpool and Arsenal are not far behind. The teams are all stacked with quality. And apart from Arsenal, they're all managed exceptionally well at the moment.
And then, it's very hard to improve to the point where you can actually beat out those competitors, and finally beat out Pep's City to a title: it took all of the "mentality monster"-dom that Klopp could get his team to muster up, to do it for one single season. And there just isn't a tree where Klopps or Guardiolas grow, there really is just the two of them.

Even last season's CL exit, yes it was poor as it hinged on a horrible, inexcusable loss to that weak Istanbul side, but then again it was a bit of a tricky group, and if that exit had been down to two losses against PSG, for example, it wouldn't have seemed to poor.
This season, of course, a group stage exit would be absolutely laughably bad and surely grounds for a sacking - but then, all that happened so far is one surprise loss, there are still 5 games to play and we can't seriously be talking like you are about to go out of the group, are we? You should cross that bridge if you ever get there, which I absolutely doubt you will.
Think United have spent significantly more than Chelsea.

Whilst Leipzig is good, losing to them in a match where we shouldnt lose to go through is exemplary to Ole's tenure.

laughtersassassin

He’s making it really hard to like him, how can he not see what literally everyone else see’s in our matches, i expect more piss poor performances if we play with these 2 as CDM
He is making his bed. If he wants to stick with limited players after all these years the excuses need to stop.

Perform or its his own fault.

Wayne's World

How can any sane United fan support this manager with his latest comments in his press-conference....

It's downright embarrassing

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
:lol: That quote from Ole on his midfield.

I can't take it it's actually too funny right now. The United way is to apparently force 2 DMs through in the middle of the park.

0le

Ole always defends his players and I think this is the right approach.

andr1y7

Not a must win game? :confused: So being at 0 or 1 points after two games is perfectly fine? That's a shocking statement.

RORY65

I tend to ignore what Ole says, he's a bit of a weird bloke generally and he never comes across as particularly convincing in interviews, but the comments there are largely innocuous.

There are definitely questions of how he has built his squad but he doesn't have many other options of how to organise his midfield given that Matic is basically unplayable and so the only option is to talk up his main two players in the hope that it gives them the confidence to play to their best, regardless of whether that is quite good enough. The other quote that is being picked up on is also not that bad, if he said anything else and then we don't win tomorrow then it sounds like he doesn't have much hope when obviously the aim is to win tomorrow but we wouldn't be out if that doesn't happen.

sugar_kane

Who gives a feck about what managers say in press conferences.

Do people expect he's going to say Fred & McTominay aren't up to the task and destroy their confidence in one go? He needs to rely on these players, giving them a boost is sensible.

Unless he has a full on Mourinho style meltdown where he starts tearing down the club I really don't care.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Funny the ones slating the manger's public comments about his players have probably never managed a group of people in their life. I'm not even convinced he is going to be the one to lead us to trophies but let's use some common sense.

justboy68

It's been clear from previous comments that Ole doesn't see much more than energy and running around as what he wants in a midfielder. I roughly remember him saying he doesn't consider players as a 6 or 8, just wants box to box midfielders. He can never answer any questions about tactics or style of play with a straight answer. So yeah it's pretty obvious he isn't much for tactics, he's all amount man management. Which has done decently up to now, but far from convinced he can take the next step to actually challenge for top honours.

Robbie Boy

Funny the ones slating the manger's public comments about his players have probably never managed a group of people in their life.
What be says is over analysed, for sure.

But what's the relevance to the quoted piece? His line of work is, believe it or not, football management. With that comes public speaking etc. I guess given you likely never played football at any decent level, you shouldn't have an opinion on a football match? I'm honestly confused by your take.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What be says is over analysed, for sure.

But what's the relevance to the quoted piece? His line of work is, believe it or not, football management. With that comes public speaking etc. I guess given you likely never played football at any decent level, you shouldn't have an opinion on a football match? I'm honestly confused by your take.
My take is that I am honestly confused by people slagging him off for backing his own players. What do you expect him to say exactly?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I pointed out his comments/OTT praise of Matic after a recent match where he was a bit rubbish but wasn't subbed and Fred was. I said that I thought he was being genuine with his comments and others were trying to tell me he's just saying it to keep harmony etc. Since then it's obvious he was happy with Matic in that game and I was right because he started him over Fred afterwards and has played him in that same role again where he drops into defence and leaves 1 in CM.

Basically, those saying he's just protecting his players and isn't really happy are probably wrong again.

bleedred

My take is that I am honestly confused by people slagging him off for backing his own players. What do you expect him to say exactly?
Yes, nobody should care what he says rather the focus should be on what he does. What has he done to fix the problem over the years. Nothing, because he doesn't see it. He genuinely believes that they are good enough and if you think the same, then fair play.

He is making his bed. If he wants to stick with limited players after all these years the excuses need to stop.

Perform or its his own fault.
Yes, Ole will have to live by his decisions. He might not think McFred is amazing, but he probably thinks they're the best he has at his disposal.

Also, if he's ask about any players in the press what do you expect him to say?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just seen what Matic is saying re Ole and our season. Honestly is he taking the piss here do we think?

Of course, every day he is improving for sure. He is getting more experience and he will get better and better.

"He is a much better manager than one year ago in my opinion because now he knows all the players, he knows exactly what he needs to do before the games, so I think for his job the experience is very important.
Embarrassing quotes from Matic. "Every day he's improving"...as though the players are actually the ones assessing Ole and seeing what he needs to improve on. Why don't they manage themselves instead.

Why is he improving Nemanja?

"Now he knows all his players".

Oh, ok then. Has he never watched football before? Not already coached here for a couple of years? Signed half of the team himself?

Well done, we're in good hands.

. I think we have enough quality to finish in the top four. We just need to continue to play like we've played the last five or six games.

Even the games where we didn't play well we won and we have to keep that going because you don't need to always play great to win. I'm confident and I think the guys are also confident that we can finish in the top four
Excellent.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes, nobody should care what he says rather the focus should be on what he does. What has he done to fix the problem over the years. Nothing, because he doesn't see it. He genuinely believes that they are good enough and if you think the same, then fair play.
I don't actually believe they are good enough no, but I have enough common sense about me to know that if he says otherwise then those players will perform even worse. How will that help us? He's not going to come out and say 'Morning everyone, I am shit, the players are all shit aswell, oh and I'm going to be sacked soon.'

romufc

Going to the other extreme I see.

Our most defensive midfielder is Matic anyway, Fred and McTominay could classify as box to box.
I do find this quite interesting.

Alot of fans change the description to suit their narrative.

Not specifically yourself but people criticise us for playing 2 DM's but when asked they also say McT or Fred are not DM's.

Sviken

Is this the "United Way" Ole fans are talking about? He is as equally defensive and negative as Mourinho in terms of tactics.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How do you propose we get these 14 points from the next 7 when our next fixtures are Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, Chelsea, Leicester, etc? That'd be almost as good as the points we currently have from West Ham, Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, etc. Unlike Chelsea, Liverpool and City, we have not played any tough fixtures so far and that is why it is so disappointing that we already find ourselves in 4th place.
Have to win vs Spurs, Watford, Leicester and Everton. 2 draws or 1 win vs the other big 4.

And it's not some unrealistic target. We can go on about how we've dropped points to Southampton and Villa but Wolves apart (where we were very lucky), we've missed a few chances to kill the game earlier in which case the narrative would have been very different.

Also, we've struggled more vs the mid-table sides historically than the top sides, so there is reasonable hope

Robbie Boy

Cool, I would have phrased it differently though.

Edit: I totally agree with you btw. I just misinterpreted your post. I think we're at a point where the micro analysing of anything and everything, is starting all over again.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Never read much in his press conference. He's defended his players many times while having intentions of selling them so I don't get the reaction to the Mcfred quotes. But why is Matic still talking about top 4

SAFMUTD

The problem is not the McFred set up, the problem is that we can't play without 2 defensive midfielders without looking absolutely exposed. Basically we need a back 6, that's not a player problem that's a coaching problem.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I do find this quite interesting.

Alot of fans change the description to suit their narrative.

Not specifically yourself but people criticise us for playing 2 DM's but when asked they also say McT or Fred are not DM's.
I think it is easy to call them DM's as they offer so little on the ball and are mainly there to break up.

Matic sits more than they do, goes less high up the pitch, but probably offers more than both combined in terms of passing.

romufc

I think it is easy to call them DM's as they offer so little on the ball and are mainly there to break up.

Matic sits more than they do, goes less high up the pitch, but probably offers more than both combined in terms of passing.
Tbh, I don't see a problem playing with them 2 if it works. I mean you wouldn't mind playing 2 high energy midfielders if the full backs are pushing and giving width but really our full backs don't do that either.

A manager with a solid system would make it work with them. What I keep seeing from other teams are how they maintain width, we need to start doing that somehow.

Its a matter of how you use the players, at the moment we are not using them to benefit the team.

In his press conference, he said he uses them because of their energy and trust, I mean really? this is Manutd, you need quality too.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm not really worried about what is said in press conferences, its the performances that I'm interested in.

SuperiorXI

He's probably lying about McFred, he's hardly going to tell us what he really thinks, he's got morale to consider and as much as we don't want to play both of them we probably have to play one of them, can't shatter their confidence.

Kaos

Is this the "United Way" Ole fans are talking about? He is as equally defensive and negative as Mourinho in terms of tactics.
Yep, and to think the majority here turn their noses up at Conte because he's too defensive. The difference is Mourinho and Conte have actually won trophies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's probably lying about McFred, he's hardly going to tell us what he really thinks, he's got morale to consider and as much as we don't want to play both of them we probably have to play one of them, can't shatter their confidence.
He has been playing them two in a 4231 for a long time so best believe that his words are actually what he thinks.

Tbh, I don't see a problem playing with them 2 if it works. I mean you wouldn't mind playing 2 high energy midfielders if the full backs are pushing and giving width but really our full backs don't do that either.

A manager with a solid system would make it work with them. What I keep seeing from other teams are how they maintain width, we need to start doing that somehow.

Its a matter of how you use the players, at the moment we are not using them to benefit the team.

In his press conference, he said he uses them because of their energy and trust, I mean really? this is Manutd, you need quality too.
So would or would you not play them in a two? Or their style of players in a 2?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yep, and to think the majority here turn their noses up at Conte because he's too defensive. The difference is Mourinho and Conte have actually won trophies.
Ole has won trophies as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.