Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

Our league form isn't that bad if we're being completely honest - however, the style and comfort isn't up there. 13 points from 6 is acceptable especially when a few new players are still settling. One of the draws/losses turns into a win, and we would have been at 2.5 ppg.

The thing is we need to stop playing heroball and start playing as a team. Pass the ball to a player in a better position instead of taking a hopeful shot from 30 yards out. The game vs WHU would have been a lot more comfortable had we done that, and the Villa game could have been over in the 1st half had we just looked up instead.

Ofcourse there's CL as well and I hope we win the next 3 games there so that we aren't under immense pressure there
If you’re being completely honest you have to take into account the level of opposition we’ve faced versus teams above us. We aren’t a plucky underdog, 12 points from the 6 games we’ve had isn’t impressive.

As for the ‘one of the draws/losses’ comment can we stop talking about OgS’s tenure in ‘ifs’ & get back to the facts. We did lose, we did draw.

MrBest

I think it is widely viewed that Ole has done a good job in forming this team, bringing back a culture and probably adding some passion or belief back to the club. Unfortunately for him, that alone does not win you titles and that is how Ole will be judged.

It is year 3 of the rebuild, I still do not see a style of play, we have 6 at the back most of the time because of this double pivot, maybe it was needed last year, but we just bought one of the best centre backs in the world and he is refined to staying back. I think its bonkers that we still persist with McFred, what on earth have they offered going forward, maybe defensively they act as a shield but goals win games. So we prioritise men at the back, and we ping the ball to one of our 4 attacking players. There is a massive gap between defence and attack, but we are searching for that golden moment to win. What we should be doing is implementing a style and pattern of play, using the squad and making decisions to drop people who do not cut it.

I feel like Ole is trying to manage the way Fergie does. Towards the end of Fergies reign, the football was not great, the squad was average, but Fergie was a master in getting the best out of people, he led. Ole is not a leader in my eyes. I don't agree with the comments people made towards Greenwood, i don't think he is a selfish player but someone, a coach or a manager should be instructing him from the sidelines to pass the ball to a player. Fergie would of gone mad, Klop and Pep go mad, thats the gap in ability. Ole cannot change a game, the others could through communication. Sitting on his chair, he consults his minions, they sit and stare at a screen, who knows what they discuss. 80 mins pass, then the sub comes on. It's too late most of the time, if things are not going our way, we need to be making decisions quicker to allow time before we get to the 80th min.

Ole will not get sacked, we can lose the nezt 5 out of 6, he will still be here. He got a bumper extension, the board don't know how to make decisions, they wait until the maths tells us, we cannot get 4th. Ole will probably get 4th, some will say he did well, but after 3 year and with this squad and how much he has spent (the most by far since he took over, 400m plus) he needs to be challenging for top spot and showing better performances on the pitch. I just don't trust him anymore, we were eluded to, over the summer, that we may change formation if we get a new CB, nothing has changed and now Ronaldo is here, Ole hides behind the hope that Ronaldo will knick a goal and win us the game. It's a real shame though, Ronaldo is not 30, he needs service and he is not getting that especially with one the best midfielders in the world (Pogba) constantly played out of position and now, on the left wing. He played well there once this season, against Leeds. That was August, now Ole is hopimg every game he does the same thing. Football does not work like football manager.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I just hope Ole can beat Villareal and Everton. He has to win. That is the only way to keep your job at Utd. Win games, win trophies. I think Utd will get a result tomorrow. Everton game worries me more.

Sviken

Our league form isn't that bad if we're being completely honest - however, the style and comfort isn't up there. 13 points from 6 is acceptable especially when a few new players are still settling. One of the draws/losses turns into a win, and we would have been at 2.5 ppg.

The thing is we need to stop playing heroball and start playing as a team. Pass the ball to a player in a better position instead of taking a hopeful shot from 30 yards out. The game vs WHU would have been a lot more comfortable had we done that, and the Villa game could have been over in the 1st half had we just looked up instead.

Ofcourse there's CL as well and I hope we win the next 3 games there so that we aren't under immense pressure there
Our league form is shockingly bad, if we're being honest. We've faced nothing but fodder teams so far. When we hit the tough fixtures such as City, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc back to back then you can talk about some form. If we continue to drop points to such easy teams, we'd better start worrying about another battle for top 4 and forget about any titles or whatever.

Mr. Christian

I think it is widely viewed that Ole has done a good job in forming this team, bringing back a culture and probably adding some passion or belief back to the club. Unfortunately for him, that alone does not win you titles and that is how Ole will be judged.

It is year 3 of the rebuild, I still do not see a style of play, we have 6 at the back most of the time because of this double pivot, maybe it was needed last year, but we just bought one of the best centre backs in the world and he is refined to staying back. I think its bonkers that we still persist with McFred, what on earth have they offered going forward, maybe defensively they act as a shield but goals win games. So we prioritise men at the back, and we ping the ball to one of our 4 attacking players. There is a massive gap between defence and attack, but we are searching for that golden moment to win. What we should be doing is implementing a style and pattern of play, using the squad and making decisions to drop people who do not cut it.

I feel like Ole is trying to manage the way Fergie does. Towards the end of Fergies reign, the football was not great, the squad was average, but Fergie was a master in getting the best out of people, he led. Ole is not a leader in my eyes. I don't agree with the comments people made towards Greenwood, i don't think he is a selfish player but someone, a coach or a manager should be instructing him from the sidelines to pass the ball to a player. Fergie would of gone mad, Klop and Pep go mad, thats the gap in ability. Ole cannot change a game, the others could through communication. Sitting on his chair, he consults his minions, they sit and stare at a screen, who knows what they discuss. 80 mins pass, then the sub comes on. It's too late most of the time, if things are not going our way, we need to be making decisions quicker to allow time before we get to the 80th min.

Ole will not get sacked, we can lose the nezt 5 out of 6, he will still be here. He got a bumper extension, the board don't know how to make decisions, they wait until the maths tells us, we cannot get 4th. Ole will probably get 4th, some will say he did well, but after 3 year and with this squad and how much he has spent (the most by far since he took over, 400m plus) he needs to be challenging for top spot and showing better performances on the pitch. I just don't trust him anymore, we were eluded to, over the summer, that we may change formation if we get a new CB, nothing has changed and now Ronaldo is here, Ole hides behind the hope that Ronaldo will knick a goal and win us the game. It's a real shame though, Ronaldo is not 30, he needs service and he is not getting that especially with one the best midfielders in the world (Pogba) constantly played out of position and now, on the left wing. He played well there once this season, against Leeds. That was August, now Ole is hopimg every game he does the same thing. Football does not work like football manager.
Runners up last season / near top of the table at present / Defence looking rock solid for the first time in years / exciting players brought in to play the United way / far more offensive than any team since SAF’s reign.

But you still don’t trust OGS.

Comedy gold!

Foxbatt

It is his inability to tweak or charge his set up that bothers me along with his lack of coaching issues, his game management and also his set pieces and his reading of the game. I really do not think he can play Pogba, Bruno and just one midfield player. He needs to play McFred because they themselves cannot hold the midfield individually. I think with this team and if he wants to play Pogba and Bruno, he needs to go with a 4 man midfield and play two forwards. That will also let McTomminay drive forward when given the chance and also let Pogba and Bruno not worry too much about the defence part of the game. But to get the best off this we also need to move the ball a lot faster with more tempo. Not just counter attack but switching play etc.
Does anyone notice that most of our players are not able to switch play directly? They need to get to a midfield player in the centre before the ball is switched to the other side. This is PL football and all should be able to switch play from one side to the other directly.

MUFC OK

I just can't see him taking us to a title which surely has to be the aim, especially with this squad at our disposal. I'm dreading wednesday and have no faith we will get the result we need.

It's incredibly worrying that he has so much credit in the bank, I think we'd have to be at risk of not getting top 4 before a change is made. I honestly think that if we fail to win against Villareal and Everton, we need to act fast. Sadly this is not something you associate with the utd hierarchy over the last 8 years.

MUFC OK

Runners up last season / near top of the table at present / Defence looking rock solid for the first time in years / exciting players brought in to play the United way / far more offensive than any team since SAF’s reign.

Comedy gold!
I've looked for positives at ever turn under OGS but these will run out eventually. The defence doesnt look solid to me - villa should have scored 3 at the weekend. We however created 0 guilt edge chances. It's so incredibly disjointed and with the quality we have the coaching must be questioned.

Villa played well for 90 mins on saturday, when was the last time you could say that about OGS' utd?

Mr. Christian

I've looked for positives at ever turn under OGS but these will run out eventually. The defence doesnt look solid to me - villa should have scored 3 at the weekend. We however created 0 guilt edge chances. It's so incredibly disjointed and with the quality we have the coaching must be questioned.

Villa played well for 90 mins on saturday, when was the last time you could say that about OGS' utd?
Come on bud. You make it sound all doom and gloom. We’re near top of table and have been playing well.

The middle of the park ain’t quite sorted but we look exciting going forward.

This team was aimless under Moyes / didn’t attack under LVG / No cohesion whatsoever under JM.

OSG has pretty much built a new team with a Utd mentality. He’s goin pretty well so far.

Admittedly they have to achieve this season but there’s little to suggest they won’t.

A defeat against a good Villa side (definitely an offside goal) ain’t the end of the world.

The team was pants when OGS first arrived, let’s not forget how bad it actually was!

Have faith, stay positive and be healthy brother

Micky Targaryen

Juve gambled with Pirlo.

AC Milan gambled with Seedorf, Inzaghi and Gattuso.

Real gambled with Solari and Zidane.

Chelsea gambled with Lampard.

Barca gambled with Pep and Koeman.
Shining examples mate. Aside from Pep, what exactly did their respective clubs do? If it ain't working, it's about damn time to move on.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our league form is shockingly bad, if we're being honest. We've faced nothing but fodder teams so far. When we hit the tough fixtures such as City, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc back to back then you can talk about some form. If we continue to drop points to such easy teams, we'd better start worrying about another battle for top 4 and forget about any titles or whatever.
13 from 6 is not shockingly bad even despite the fixtures. It's neither exceptionally good as well. It's right at the par level. The thing is big teams will drop points vs smaller teams and they will continue to do so consistently. It's happened every year, and will continue to happen. As long as we get 14 from the next 7, even though we'd end up a few points behind leaders, I'd be quite comfortable in the title race, because our games post that Chelsea/Arsenal game are all favourable and we should go on a run there

crossy1686

career ending

Tarrou

There will always be people who are short sighted. We have same points as Chelsea, ManCity and one behind Liverpool. All those clubs with managers that media love to talk about and hail as ultimate managers. But when it comes to us it is all hell break lose after one defeat despite being up there at the top. We know ManUtd news sell regardless of news quality.

Solskjaer is doing good job and so is his staff. Progress is clear as day even if it can go up and down.
it's not just about one defeat though the performances have been largely crap so far this season

edgecutter

Comedy gold!
Can I have what you're drinking

edgecutter

13 from 6 is not shockingly bad even despite the fixtures. It's neither exceptionally good as well. It's right at the par level. The thing is big teams will drop points vs smaller teams and they will continue to do so consistently. It's happened every year, and will continue to happen. As long as we get 14 from the next 7, even though we'd end up a few points behind leaders, I'd be quite comfortable in the title race, because our games post that Chelsea/Arsenal game are all favourable and we should go on a run there
Most of us said at the beginning of the season that we had to win these first 6 games to show our muscle and now the goalposts have changed thanks to all our rivals taking points off each other. With the squad we have, we should be on 18 points and leading the charge for the title.

anant

Most of us said at the beginning of the season that we had to win these first 6 games to show our muscle and now the goalposts have changed thanks to all our rivals taking points off each other. With the squad we have, we should be on 18 points and leading the charge for the title.
Games aren't won on paper. I'd have wanted to be on 15-16 points, but 13 isn't unacceptable. Ofcourse, this means that we need to get ~14 from the next 7 and the scope of error has reduced, but it's not the end of the world like people are proclaiming here

Castia

Come on bud. You make it sound all doom and gloom. We’re near top of table and have been playing well.

The middle of the park ain’t quite sorted but we look exciting going forward.

This team was aimless under Moyes / didn’t attack under LVG / No cohesion whatsoever under JM.

OSG has pretty much built a new team with a Utd mentality. He’s goin pretty well so far.

Admittedly they have to achieve this season but there’s little to suggest they won’t.

A defeat against a good Villa side (definitely an offside goal) ain’t the end of the world.

The team was pants when OGS first arrived, let’s not forget how bad it actually was!

Have faith, stay positive and be healthy brother
There’s the draw to Southampton, loss to Young Boys and West Ham and Villa as well it’s been a poor start which on paper should have been straight forward.

All our rivals are still close in the table but they’ve all played each other look at the games City and Chelsea have had compared to us. The reality is we’ll probably be about 8 points behind once we’ve played Chelsea, City Liverpool etc.

The expectation was to at least challenge this season Ole will be out if he can’t deliver, a 4th place finish without a trophy will be a bad season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some are saying that Nuno mendes is better than him.

When someone wants to kick someone on the ground - they really don't just do it once do they? They literally shit on them by what they talk about.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Clearly! We just lost a football match and is only joint on the top of the table. Sack him now, before he can bring our top players up to speed after a COVID season end euro championship. Some of you lads are so melodramatic that your left wondering about sanity. How about just being critical of something and see how it goes this season?
How come other manages have no problem bringing players up to speed?

Ole is a long time in the job relatively and its the same merry-go-round.

Comedy gold!
The only comedy in here is you calling the defence rock solid :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Cheers.

I really have not changed my view that much really and its wasnt like Villa was some sort of turning point or eureka moment for me. I've always maintained the stance that he should stay in the job as long as i think its beneficial for the club and that has not changed at all.

I honestly think hes done very well in bringing stability and crafting a squad that can compete for the top prizes. Now that part of the job its done and its time to put that squad to purpose and actually compete and ideally win those top prizes. Thats also why i was so staunchly opposed to the club sacking him last year and the year before, because it might have undone the whole rebuild project and put as back at square one.

Now though, we have a squad that is filled to the brim with top talent and a great mix of youth and experience so the bar has been considerably raised for Ole in my book. Especially after adding two serial winners in Varane and Ronaldo and of the most coveted young players in the world this summer. When Ole took over from Jose, icant imagine any top manager would wanting to touch us with a 10 foot pole, where as now i'd imagine we would have plenty of suitors considering the talent we can field

Tl;dr: I think hes done admirably in steadying the ship and creating a top team, now its time to use that top team to its full effect and Villa was not it
Great post

Dr Foo

Would people's opinion change once Ole goes on another 5 - 6 game winning run? Seems like the boom bust cycle may repeat

largelyworried

This is something you see every year and is what you might call the "We're in it mathematically" fallacy. Where people think that, as long as you're within a few points of the leaders mid-season, you're in the race, without actually looking at the trajectory of both teams.

Consider our form. Last season we got 74 points. If we get 14 points from those fixtures you outline we're on 27 points from 13 games. That's the equivalent of 79 points per season. So we're looking at a modest improvement on last season's form but basically the same kind of ball park. Assuming the target this season is 90 points for the title (plus or minus a couple) then that leaves us needing ~63 points from our final 25 games. That's the equivalent of a 96 point season, which is a totally different level.

A team that has spent the last few years rumbling along as a mid to high 70 points kind of team is not suddenly going to switch into the equivalent of a super dominant mid-90 points team midseason and sustain it over 25 games. Whether or not we're mathematically close to the leaders, if our long term underlying form has us on a trajectory of about 80 points with a third of the season gone, that's probably where we're headed.

dabeast

I remember all the great times that Ronaldo got us in his first stint with us and am a big fan of him and Utd (obviously). However, it must be said that Ronaldo is not what he was then. In the 2000s, without widespread gegenpressing, we could survive with him on the wing not doing much defensive work. In those days teams would sit back because Utd was so dominant and he would be given the ball and allowed to wreak havoc on those cowering defences. Times have changed.

Now, CR7 has lost his physical advantage. Without it he is only an Inzaghi-like poacher (a v good one) who doesn't press. In dominant teams like Juve playing in less-competitive Serie A that may survive. However, in the PL, we need more from that position and, so far, Ole hasn't come up with a solution. Cavani, when not frequently injured, is a far better presser but worse finisher than Ronaldo. I would argue that, in the absence of a dominant midfield (we just don't have the right No. 6), we are a better team with Cavani than with Ronaldo.

City is the counter-Utd amongst the big teams. They have great players but all press relentlessly. They dominated Chelsea because of their press, one where (very highly-paid) players worked very hard to win the ball back high up the field. Their game against PSG will be very interesting because MNM are unlikely to do much pressing, so the question becomes how much advantage that starting ball position (and defensive disarray) are for City vs offensive brilliance by MNM. PSG are a big player team like Utd, but also have a much better midfield than Utd and, arguably, a better defence. Still, PSG would have a tough time in the PL because of the absence of MNM pressing but, in the CL could come out with brilliant performances in the knock-out rounds. Messi will run much more of the game in those ties than Ronaldo will because CR7 is now only a poacher.

I still think that getting Ronaldo to return was a good idea because of the effect it will have on our young players. However, the challenge - and his job depends on it - is whether Ole has the nous to shoehorn a once-brilliant player into a non-dominant team competing in the toughest league in the world.

largelyworried

Would people's opinion change once Ole goes on another 5 - 6 game winning run? Seems like the boom bust cycle may repeat
One of the features of the title winning teams in recent years has been long winning runs. The title winners best run of consecutive wins over each of the last 5 seasons.

Chelsea - 13 wins
City - 18 wins
City - 14 wins
Liverpool - 17 wins (as part of 26 wins and 1 draw from 27 games)
City - 15 wins (21 wins in all comps)

Those long runs aren't required to win the league of course, they just seem to be a feature of the best teams these days. I would love to go on a 5 or 6 game winning run just to keep us competetive at the top of the table, but I'd really love to see us churn out much longer runs of good form than that.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
It's never good when fans start doubting the management of any club, Ole has doubt written on his forehead, it's time for the club to move on from him, get someone in with some style and winning reputation, someone the players would see and react instantly to.

anant

This is something you see every year and is what you might call the "We're in it mathematically" fallacy. Where people think that, as long as you're within a few points of the leaders mid-season, you're in the race, without actually looking at the trajectory of both teams.

Consider our form. Last season we got 74 points. If we get 14 points from those fixtures you outline we're on 27 points from 13 games. That's the equivalent of 79 points per season. So we're looking at a modest improvement on last season's form but basically the same kind of ball park. Assuming the target this season is 90 points for the title (plus or minus a couple) then that leaves us needing ~63 points from our final 25 games. That's the equivalent of a 96 point season, which is a totally different level.

A team that has spent the last few years rumbling along as a mid to high 70 points kind of team is not suddenly going to switch into the equivalent of a super dominant mid-90 points team midseason and sustain it over 25 games. Whether or not we're mathematically close to the leaders, if our long term underlying form has us on a trajectory of about 80 points with a third of the season gone, that's probably where we're headed.
That's the point I was mentioning earlier. I dont mind being a few points behind the pack after 13 games, as long as we do what is expected of us in the next 14 - each one of them being winnable. If we manage to get 2.5 ppg from that run (which isn't impossible), I'd say we'll be in the running for the title.

Easy to sit here and say that this would happen, but like every PL winning team of the past 5 odd years, we need to go on a run and games 14-27 offer us an opportunity to do just that

largelyworried

That's the point I was mentioning earlier. I dont mind being a few points behind the pack after 13 games, as long as we do what is expected of us in the next 14 - each one of them being winnable. If we manage to get 2.5 ppg from that run (which isn't impossible), I'd say we'll be in the running for the title.

Easy to sit here and say that this would happen, but like every PL winning team of the past 5 odd years, we need to go on a run and games 14-27 offer us an opportunity to do just that
My point is that, if we've averaged 2.1 points over several years, we're not going to suddenly step up mid-season to 2.5. By the way we'd need to sustain that 2.5ppg over the entire rest of the season, not just a short run in the middle. That kind of step increase is very rare - I can't think of a time when its happened before off the time my head.

anant

My point is that, if we've averaged 2.1 points over several years, we're not going to suddenly step up mid-season to 2.5. By the way we'd need to sustain that 2.5ppg over the entire rest of the season, not just a short run in the middle. That kind of step increase is very rare - I can't think of a time when its happened before off the time my head.
I don't expect us to touch 90, and if we're being honest I don't expect this to be another season where the champions get 95+ points. The City and Pool sides are weaker now than what they were 2 years ago, and I'd still say that City is the team to beat.

As far as the jump is concerned, we're talking about what if scenarios, but 2.5 ppg over 14 games is sustainable looking at the fixture run (of course we can't afford more games like the one we had vs Villa too often). And the points target for the last 11 games needs to be set accordingly. My point is the 14 games after the Chelsea game will probably decide Ole's future more than the next 7 PL games

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If you’re being completely honest you have to take into account the level of opposition we’ve faced versus teams above us. We aren’t a plucky underdog, 12 points from the 6 games we’ve had isn’t impressive.

As for the ‘one of the draws/losses’ comment can we stop talking about OgS’s tenure in ‘ifs’ & get back to the facts. We did lose, we did draw.
Someone who is such a stickler for facts should probably take more care to put the correct points total in their post, no? Just a thought

Robbie Boy

I'm pretty sure you're purposely lowering the bar here tbh. If we reach the point where we have played 13 games and have 27 points, we won't be putting up much of a title challenge. I've also seen nothing so far to suggest that we would be capable of going on any sort of amazing run to claw points back, while our rivals simultaneously drop points. The reality is, we would probably be anywhere between 6 and 7 points off of where we should be, and it isn't really good enough.

The only thing that might inspire some confidence, is if we have 27 points, but our football has drastically improved and we look capable of controlling games. If not, then I imagine with 27 on the board after 13 games, Ole will be under pressure and the atmosphere around the place won't be great. It's not really the ideal ingredients to go on a fantastic run, especially given there will be a hectic Christmas schedule thrown into the mix.

Robbie Boy

We won't. 0-0 incoming I would bet. They're undefeated in normal time so far this season
I think anything other than a win would cause a shit storm tbh. One point out of 6 with a double header against Atalanta to come, would leave us in a bad position. I think the best we get out of that double header is 4 points. So 5 points on the board with 4 played, would be very fecking nervy coming into our final two games, one of which will be Villarreal away.

We need to be winning this. Given Oles trajectory to date, I fancy us to put up a good performance and get a win. Anytime there seems to be some genuine pressure, he claws it back.

largelyworried

I don't expect us to touch 90, and if we're being honest I don't expect this to be another season where the champions get 95+ points. The City and Pool sides are weaker now than what they were 2 years ago, and I'd still say that City is the team to beat.

As far as the jump is concerned, we're talking about what if scenarios, but 2.5 ppg over 14 games is sustainable looking at the fixture run (of course we can't afford more games like the one we had vs Villa too often). And the points target for the last 11 games needs to be set accordingly. My point is the 14 games after the Chelsea game will probably decide Ole's future more than the next 7 PL games
Agreed, 95+ probably wont be the figure this time, but I'm assuming 90 will be. City got 86 last season after a diabolical start. They've started better this season and have already played Chelsea (a), Spurs (a), Leicester (a) and Arsenal (h). 12 goals scored, 1 conceded... I think 90 points is about where they're headed, based on previous seasons.

If 90 is the target and we get the points total you're talking about after that middle run of games, then our target for the final 11 games will be still be 2.5ppg. Which means 2.5ppg for the last 25 games. As I say, that's unlikely for a team thats never managed that before.

I don't think Ole will be sacked mid season (unless we truly crash) so I don't think a good run in the middle of the season will be make or break for him either way. I think he'll be judged at the end in the round. If he can get ~80 points or more, he'll be here next year.

anant

I'm pretty sure you're purposely lowering the bar here tbh. If we reach the point where we have played 13 games and have 27 points, we won't be putting up much of a title challenge. I've also seen nothing so far to suggest that we would be capable of going on any sort of amazing run to claw points back, while our rivals simultaneously drop points. The reality is, we would probably be anywhere between 6 and 7 points off of where we should be, and it isn't really good enough.

The only thing that might inspire some confidence is if we have 27 points, but our football has drastically improved and we look capable of controlling games. If not, then I imagine with 27 on the board after 13 games, Ole will be under pressure and the atmosphere around the place won't be great. It's not really the ideal ingredients to go on a fantastic run, especially given there will be a hectic Christmas schedule thrown into the mix.
Unless this is another 95+ point season we'd be within touching distance if we're at 27 after 13 - maybe 4-5 points behind at max (Should Pool win all their next 7 games, they'll be at 35, but it's fairly likely they'll drop points maybe even this week). The thing is as long as we can get 35 from the next 14, we're doing fine. It's about just keeping pace during the tough run and we'd be fine.

As far as Christmas schedule is concerned, as long as we don't have an injury pile-up, the depth in the side should help us navigate that period. Rashford would be back, and I'm hoping Sancho would have settled in by then as well, which should help us get desirable results

Paul_Scholes18

It looks very hard to qualify in CL. Does third still go into Europa league? If so that might be our best way to win a trophy.

anant

Agreed, 95+ probably wont be the figure this time, but I'm assuming 90 will be. City got 86 last season after a diabolical start. They've started better this season and have already played Chelsea (a), Spurs (a), Leicester (a) and Arsenal (h). 12 goals scored, 1 conceded... I think 90 points is about where they're headed, based on previous seasons.

If 90 is the target and we get the points total you're talking about after that middle run of games, then our target for the final 11 games will be still be 2.5ppg. Which means 2.5ppg for the last 25 games. As I say, that's unlikely for a team thats never managed that before.

I don't think Ole will be sacked mid season (unless we truly crash) so I don't think a good run in the middle of the season will be make or break for him either way. I think he'll be judged at the end in the round. If he can get ~80 points or more, he'll be here next year.
I think 80 will be borderline for him. Unless ofcourse we do something amazing in CL or win the FA Cup (although I find it stupid to judge a Utd manager on their FA Cup/LC record)

Robbie Boy

Unless this is another 95+ point season we'd be within touching distance if we're at 27 after 13 - maybe 4-5 points behind at max (Should Pool win all their next 7 games, they'll be at 35, but it's fairly likely they'll drop points maybe even this week). The thing is as long as we can get 35 from the next 14, we're doing fine. It's about just keeping pace during the tough run and we'd be fine.

As far as Christmas schedule is concerned, as long as we don't have an injury pile-up, the depth in the side should help us navigate that period. Rashford would be back, and I'm hoping Sancho would have settled in by then as well, which should help us get desirable results
Looking at those fixtures, I think we would certainly be 6 points off where I would have expected us to be, anyway. It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but that's honestly how I would see it. I think our rivals have looked far stronger than us so far, for the most part - so I honestly wouldn't really fancy us in a game of catch up with them. I believe if we have 27 points and our football hasn't improved, the atmosphere won't be good. As I said, if we have 27 points and our football drastically improves, then the outlook may be slightly different.

For me, the Christmas schedule is always a bit messy and disjointed. Looking to go on a good run, with it sandwiched in between, is far from ideal. We don't know what the league table will look like after 13 games, but my guess is that if we have 27 points, it's not going to be a huge cause for optimism. Right now, I just can't see where any great run will come from given how disjointed we have looked. Of course, maybe when Sancho settles etc. we will look better, but it's all if, buts and maybes right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.