Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

I disagree with this. Bruno played in a 3 man midfield at Sporting. Pogba played in a 3 at Juve & plays in a 3 for France. There's absolutely no issue with them playing in a 433, the reason they can't do it for United is the coaching is piss poor.
The keyword was and. Bruno and Pogba. In both their cases they were the most free, unshackled from positional responsibility CMs in their previous teams. Having one of those works, but having two of those in your starting XI, surprisingly doesn't seem to work that well.

The coaching also sucks, agreed.

Foxbatt

Once we started losing on the right all he needed was to pull Pogba back and drop Greenwood too into a more deeper position.
Yes we won't be attacking as much as we want but at least it would have stopped them opening up so easily.
He didn't know what to do.
My issues with him are his stubbornness in not accepting that he needs to change coaching staff.
He has changed for very much the better the atmosphere at the club. His man management seems to be top class apart from the bizarre DVB case. So why doesn't he get experienced coaches who have been at big clubs?

MichaelRed

I genuinely think we dont have the right midfield options to execute 4231 or 433. Mcfred end up pressed into our back 4 and dont have the quality to play the ball out. Matic is a good passer but immobile. Then all of our other players, Pogba, Lingard, DVB, Bruno want to be the 10 in a 4231. Pogba and DVB have looked dreaful in the deeper role. Pogba isnt a left midfielder either.

For me, In an ideal world we sign two class midfielders to replace mcfred and rotate pogba and bruno. I think the bruno and pogba in the same team with someone behind comes from the ‘433 holding’ formation on FIFA 21. In reality we will be carved to bits playing that essentially because we will be playing 415.
By the time we can sign anyone Pogba will have left us as a free agent so that's not going to be happening.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In 4-3-3 you have 3 players close to each other in central areas, that's not how we played yesterday. But I realized recently an awful lot of people (on this particular forum, not saying it's you) think 4-3-3 means you play two attacking midfielders (what we did yesterday) and consider it more "attacking" than the so called "double pivot".
We could play 4-3-3 but not with Bruno and Pogba. It means sacrificing one attacker for a midfielder what is not happening under current manager. Pressure on Ole also plays a part, because it happens we have 0 high profile players in midfield and 6 high profile players in attack, so that's pushing him into those unbalanced setups.
What I see on the pitch is that formation isn’t the problem but it seems like the coaching staff thinks just like some people that playing attacking football means throwing loads of attackers on the pitch and sane for defenders . Modern football doesn’t work like that . You can play 4-5-1 but be attacking if the players are attached to each other and attack & defend in sync . But any formation you play will leave you wide open if your players have no clue what to do when they lose the ball

Westerkerk

Ole is a club-stabilising manager who is likeable and unlikely to cause problems between the fans, players and owners (unlike a Mourinho type character)

He is not completely clueless and is still a young manager who is learning - whether he has enough time and therefore learns enough at United to ultimately be long-term successful here is something we can never know at this point - it has to be a matter of opinion, patience and faith.

For those reasons he is here for the long term, barring some extremely bad decisions or long term bad results, or resignation. He is immune to a further couple of trophyless seasons, at least, from the board.

All us fans can have are opinions, and mine is we'll never win anything significant with him in charge or maintain long term success, though I like him and his presence doesn't offend me. I'm guessing that's what they're aiming for.

MichaelRed

The keyword was and. Bruno and Pogba. In both their respective teams they were the most free, unshackled from positional responsibility CM. Having two of those in your starting XI, surprisingly doesn't seem to work.
I still disagree. City played a 433 just fine with David Silva & De Bruyne. Barcelona dominated everyone doing it with Xavi & Iniesta, neither of which were a great defensive presence. Hell, there was even a time where City played with Nasri & David Silva in the midfield 3. It absolutely can work if we had a remotely competent coach because you'd take care of the ball well enough to not need so much defensive presence in the team.

Jezpeza

By the time we can sign anyone Pogba will have left us as a free agent so that's not going to be happening.
I agree. But ultimately we are stuck with mcfred and a declining Matic unless we invest there. Pogba going is odds on to happen. He isnt going to sign the contract. I Wouldnt be surprised if by this time next year Real Madrid have Mbappe, Haaland and Pogba for a net spend of about £65m.

With or without Ole its the most deficient area of the team and any new manager will be addressing that first. Its unbelievable that we paid £55m for a midfielder who is essentially a Brazilian version of Robbie Savage that cant pass a ball.

Marwood

It was a poor execution of a 4-3-3. It's also one game. Can't draw conclusions from it.

Pogba and Bruno were getting so far forward with McTominay completely on his own. That's not a functional midfield.
I think you can because it was predicted by many as well. How it went is exactly how many thought it would.

Marwood

I still disagree. City played a 433 just fine with David Silva & De Bruyne. Barcelona dominated everyone doing it with Xavi & Iniesta, neither of which were a great defensive presence. Hell, there was even a time where City played with Nasri & David Silva in the midfield 3. It absolutely can work if we had a remotely competent coach because you'd take care of the ball well enough to not need so much defensive presence in the team.
But look at the players you've listed. They're all really good at retaining the ball. Bruno and Pogba just aren't.

Foxbatt

Definitely a big factor, although dare I say it Ole hasn't helped himself there by bringing in Sancho over a midfielder.
Why did we buy DVB? I am sure he cost more than 30 million. We could have bought a decent midfield player for that and sold Martial too?
His problem is buying a midfield player and not using him at all and not selling him. Then not knowing what to do when our midfield gets overrun.
Yesterday he was clueless when we were getting hammered. It's lucky they were pathetic in front of the goal and also missing their top striker.

MadMike

You can still disagree and we can agree to completely disagree with each other too. For the record, I also disagree with you ;)

Neither Sporting nor Juventus played the Pep way (Barca/City) of dominating possession and pressing high up the pitch. I doubt Bruno and Pogba would work well together in a Pep team either, he wants players who are great at retaining possession. You're stitching two entirely different topics together. How Pogba/Bruno played in their previous teams and how Pep coaches his teams and picks his players. Neither of which has anything to do with Pogba and Bruno playing together in the same starting XI for Man Utd.

MichaelRed

But look at the players you've listed. They're all really good at retaining the ball. Bruno and Pogba just aren't.
Pogba & Bruno are perfectly capable of keeping the ball, they don't give it away with simple passes, they give it away with speculative hoofball because that's what we're clearly coached to do. We were hitting hoofballs to Sancho last night ffs, like he's going to pick a ball out the air with 2 defenders on him. Clueless.

MichaelRed

You can still disagree and we can agree to completely disagree with each other too. For the record, I also disagree with you ;)

Neither Sporting nor Juventus played the Pep way (Barca/City) of dominating possession and pressing high up the pitch. I doubt Bruno and Pogba would work well together in a Pep team either, he wants players who are great at retaining possession. You're stitching two entirely different topics together. How Pogba/Bruno played in their previous teams and how Pep coaches his teams and picks his players. Neither of which has anything to do with Pogba and Bruno playing together in the same starting XI for Man Utd.
But why can't we dominate possession with Pogba & Bruno in a 3? They're elite passers of the ball & Pogba can retain possession almost better than anyone.

Ash_G

What I see on the pitch is that formation isn’t the problem but it seems like the coaching staff thinks just like some people that playing attacking football means throwing loads of attackers on the pitch and sane for defenders . Modern football doesn’t work like that . You can play 4-5-1 but be attacking if the players are attached to each other and attack & defend in sync . But any formation you play will leave you wide open if your players have no clue what to do when they lose the ball
Agreed. Yesterday, as we've seen in other games, we kept pushing fwd all our attacking players high against their defence, and Pogba and were left with McT/Lindelof/Varane trying to make a long pass. That's a difficult pass in any case, let alone when it's not our best passers and I just don't understand why we try to play like that. Further it just leaves us open to the counter.

That's tactical. Other teams are able to cram in as many attacking players as we do and I don't think on balance they're more talented than ours or fitter, they're instructed and they respond to that instruction. I don't think it's about them having a top class DM as no one DM can cover as much space as we're leaving in the way we set up.

SAFMUTD

Is still a young manager who is learning
He's managed for over 10 years, for reference that's only 2 years less than Pep and 3 than Tuchel. Would've you call the former two "young managers still learning" 2-3 seasons ago? Nonsense.

Ole is not a young manager learning, this myth about him being a youngster manager has to go. He's simply hadn't done anything worth mentioning so you didn't heard from him before but he's been around for plenty of time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I disagree with this. Bruno played in a 3 man midfield at Sporting. Pogba played in a 3 at Juve & plays in a 3 for France. There's absolutely no issue with them playing in a 433, the reason they can't do it for United is the coaching is piss poor.
Exatctly, they both did it with 2 supporting players, being allowed to be the most offensive mids. You can't fit them both with just one player behind.
Even for France for NT level, Pogba still is partnered with 2 midfielders. Let alone in EPL.

MichaelRed

Exatctly, they both did it with 2 supporting players, being allowed to be the most offensive mids. You can't fit them both with just one player behind.
Even for France for NT level, Pogba still is partnered with 2 midfielders. Let alone in EPL.
If they were played as proper 8s in a deeper role with proper coaching I'm sure we'd get enough defensive input from them. Bruno works his socks off and Pogba makes more tackles & interceptions than McTominay ever does so why not?

MadMike

But why can't we dominate possession with Pogba & Bruno in a 3? They're elite passers of the ball & Pogba can retain possession almost better than anyone.
What are you talking about? Are we watching the same players?

Both of them are very good at lifting their head up and picking a defence splitting pass, but neither of them is good at retaining and circulating possession and keeping it simple when it needs to be kept simple. Never mind better than anyone, they are worse than most.

romufc

In 4-3-3 you have 3 players close to each other in central areas, that's not how we played yesterday. But I realized recently an awful lot of people (on this particular forum, not saying it's you) think 4-3-3 means you play two attacking midfielders (what we did yesterday) and consider it more "attacking" than the so called "double pivot".
We could play 4-3-3 but not with Bruno and Pogba. It means sacrificing one attacker for a midfielder what is not happening under current manager. Pressure on Ole also plays a part, because it happens we have 0 high profile players in midfield and 6 high profile players in attack, so that's pushing him into those unbalanced setups.
This is my point, 4-3-3 with Bruno and Pogba is very difficult because the way they play. Bruno won't sit in one position, he wants to play closer to goal and Pogba is not good enough to over Bruno's deficiencies either, so we are left with McTominay on his own in midfield.

I know alot of fingers pointed at McT but what is he to do there? He had an almost impossible job with the tactics, so many times the ball got through the first press and he was left with 3 v 1 in midfield.

MichaelRed

Both of them are very good at lifting their head up and picking a defence splitting pass, but neither of them is good at retaining and circulating possession and keeping it simple when it needs to be kept simple. Never mind better than anyone, they are worse than most.
You think they aren't capable of a simple pass? That's ridiculous. You're clearly confusing playing ability with coaching. They don't keep it simple because of what comes from the coaches.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If they were played as proper 8s in a deeper role with proper coaching I'm sure we'd get enough defensive input from them. Bruno works his socks off and Pogba makes more tackles & interceptions than McTominay ever does so why not?
Number of reasons why this isn't happening anytime soon but let's leave it.
Interesting question if Bruno was ever played in #8 position, because watching him play he's a pure attacker for me. Pogba is fine in #8 but I would bet once a new manager comes in, one of them is dropped from starting XI. My money would be on Pogba.

Jezpeza

Number of reasons why this isn't happening anytime soon but let's leave it.
Interesting question if Bruno was ever played in #8 position, because watching him play he's a pure attacker for me. Pogba is fine in #8 but I would bet once a new manager comes in, one of them is dropped from starting XI. My money would be on Pogba.
If pogba intends to run down his contract he should rot in the reserves anyway. Why keep him nice and match sharp for real madrid or whoever? Dont waste minutes on players that arent part of the future

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is my point, 4-3-3 with Bruno and Pogba is very difficult because the way they play. Bruno won't sit in one position, he wants to play closer to goal and Pogba is not good enough to over Bruno's deficiencies either, so we are left with McTominay on his own in midfield.

I know alot of fingers pointed at McT but what is he to do there? He had an almost impossible job with the tactics, so many times the ball got through the first press and he was left with 3 v 1 in midfield.
Exactly. Guy is left alone and gets the blame for not being able to hold the midfield against Villareal. The same happened in France - Switzerland game where the midfield was completely exposed and the Swiss were running riot, guess which one of Kante&Pogba got blamed for not being able to handle the midfield.

MichaelRed

If pogba intends to run down his contract he should rot in the reserves anyway. Why keep him nice and match sharp for real madrid or whoever? Dont waste minutes on players that arent part of the future
If we brought in a competent manager Pogba would be signing his contract in blood.

MadMike

You think they aren't capable of a simple pass? That's ridiculous. You're clearly confusing playing ability with coaching. They don't keep it simple because of what comes from the coaches.
Retaining and circulating possession isn’t as simple as it sounds, what is ridiculous is thinking that it is. It requires quick decision making, fast crisp accurate passing, great first touch/control and constant movement.

These aren’t things that Pogba and Bruno have shown any particular aptitude in, during their careers. Neither of them is Xavi, Iniesta or David Silva. I have no idea how you figured they are better than most at this, even before their time at United.

Zen86

Why did we buy DVB? I am sure he cost more than 30 million. We could have bought a decent midfield player for that and sold Martial too?
His problem is buying a midfield player and not using him at all and not selling him. Then not knowing what to do when our midfield gets overrun.
Yesterday he was clueless when we were getting hammered. It's lucky they were pathetic in front of the goal and also missing their top striker.
I don't think anyone really knows why we bought DvB. But it sure doesn't seem like Ole has a lot of faith in him, and he's hardly set the world on fire in the games he's played. But as always in this place, the solution is the players who didn't start the game.

Jordan_mufc

Have to agree with you here. I mean, of course they are capable of playing a simple pass, but they don't seem to have the capacity to dictate when to play the killer pass and when to retain the ball.

Scholes was the master of this, controlling the tempo of the game and then speeding it up with a killer pass. I've not seen that from Bruno or Pogba yet, they give the ball away far too much. You can only really carry one player like that, let alone 3 in your midfield.

Ash_G

Exactly. Guy is left alone and gets the blame for not being able to hold the midfield against Villareal. The same happened in France - Switzerland game where the midfield was completely exposed and the Swiss were running riot, guess which one of Kante&Pogba got blamed for not being able to handle the midfield.
Agreed. It's impossible for any one player to cover the amount of ground we ask them to when we play Pogba in cm, particularly if we approach the attack as we did yesterday by pushing so many players forward at the same time.

We don't respond at all to the challenges with Pogba playing deeper when we do play him there and even when he plays left wing we've not yet addressed the issue that you have Bruno and Pogba as high risk players and Greenwood who is pretty head down. Individually not bad qualities to have but in combination needs to be balanced as it ends up with us relying on great moments then truly controlling a game.

It's easy to point to the McT/Fred and I def think we can do better than them but the bigger issue is the front 4 and Pogba if he's going to play deeper and it's not about quality but how we truly get the most out of them. If they were really clicking I think we could def get away with McT/Fred/Matic/VDB in the middle.

redIndianDevil

4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 is just nothing when there is no coaching. 4-3-3 can be used to park the bus and also to blitz the opposition, the same with 4-2-3-1. If there is no organized pressing, patterns in passing, intelligent movement to provide passing options any formation with any players will look clueless. You know which teams hit hopeful long balls, hollywood passes, the ones who are not coached properly to attack. The same goes for defence, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and City win back possession higher up most of the time because they press in an organized way and that cannot be achieved just by players showing grit and determination, it has to be coached and ingrained in memory during training sessions.

Don't twist the narrative. The issue is when it becomes a pattern and we are entirely dependent on an individual skill every fecking time.
You said: 'The state of us when you had to literally cherish that moment against Villarreal at home'

It's not unreasonable for me to ask what you get out of football if you can't enjoy a last gasp winner.

redIndianDevil

Retaining and circulating possession isn’t as simple as it sounds, what is ridiculous is thinking that it is. It requires quick decision making, fast crisp accurate passing, great first touch/control and constant movement.

These aren’t things that Pogba and Bruno have shown any particular aptitude in, during their careers. Neither of them is Xavi, Iniesta or David Silva. I have no idea how you figured they are better than most at this, even before their time at United.
You put Xavi in this team, he'd look just clueless as well. And our fan base would be crying why Xavi isn't making lung bursting runs and putting in tackles. Pogba and Bruno can both make any pass, it's just that there are no options for them. The main thing is the constant movement that you mentioned, that should come from your teammates, they should show themselves to receive passes, they should give more options for the players to pick a pass. Then when there are more options, Pogba or Bruno can make that quick decision on which teammate is better placed to receive a pass that will hurt the opposition. Instead we have the same brain dead lethargic movement because players are not coached to make the runs.

Denis79

I'm convinced now that we won't win anything significant with Ole, an odd FA or Carabao cup at best. Seems our play isn't improving, just our squad. Moments of brilliance from brilliant players saves us more times than not. That said atleast Ole serves us many exciting games and you never know what is going to happen. Going to enjoy the ride this season for sure!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You need to educate yourself. Just watch these coaching conferences on YouTube, there a lot of them. There's a lot of work that goes into keeping possession, outnumbering the opponent and creating passing lanes. It's not simple can you pass a ball?.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's not really just about defense but ball retention as well. Xavi or Iniesta wouldn't have to be amazing defensively because they hardly ever gave the ball away. You can't punish a team for lack of defensive presence in the middle of the park if you don't have the ball. Besides they had Busquets playing next to them who was basically a top 10 midfielder himself.

MichaelRed

You need to educate yourself. Just watch these coaching conferences on YouTube, there a lot of them. There's a lot of work that goes into keeping possession, outnumbering the opponent and creating passing lanes. It's not simple can you pass a ball?.
"educate yourself" ffs. It's obviously not only about a simple pass but the argument that was being made against them is they only play hollywood passes that often end in losing the ball, as if that meant they were somehow only capable of 30 yard passes.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Couple of huge games against Atalanta coming up and a very tough league schedule. Great for the viewer. Hope he can find his best lineup quickly. He should play Cavani as much as he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.