Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In that Aftenposten interview he said "I like football manager. I am always Man Utd and I sign two top players every summer, and then I leave it to my assistant and the players, and go on holiday. Good players can always play together. Football is a simple game. And I always won the league."
he didn't
Who said this? Sounds like the ramblings of a primary school kid.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't know what game he has watched, but United are playing anything but simple. For me simple would mean Pep's Barcelona. Utterly dominant and they made it look so goddamn easy. We look like shambles in everything we're trying to do. A 5 meter pass looks like something only a visionary in the style of prime Scholes or Xavi in this team would be able to do. There is no simplicity in our team, just utter chaos.
Exactly. We are unable to do the basics right. Our midfielders struggle to make simple passes and control the tempo. Forwards just do whatever their minds say. Half of the time there is a better pass available but everyone just decides to shoot.

432JuanMata

I'm not sure. Obviously there were disagreements regarding previous managers, but never something as dividing or as toxic as this.
It’s because with other managers even with how bad it got there was a style in place.
We hired LVG he brought a possession based style and failed miserably, instead of trying to get a manager with the same style he abandoned it and got Jose who was the opposite.
We didn’t have a way of playing yet since Ole we have said we are bringing the old way back but nobody sees a set way of playing

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Slight side note but saw it pointed out on twitter and hadn't quite realised it until now but our team isn't the young and up-and-coming one I still picture it as being.

Our starting 11 by age:

23 - 28 - 28 - 26
24 - 28
20 - 27 - 28
With the likes of Cavani (34), Martial (25), Lingard (28), Rashford (23), Lindelof (27), Sancho (21), Henderson (24) and Telles (28) on the bench as well. Almost half of our minutes have been played by players aged 27-29, 65% by players who are 27+.

What we're currently seeing is our team at its peak years. Insofar as we've been building towards something, that something is now.

432JuanMata

I don't know what game he has watched, but United are playing anything but simple. For me simple would mean Pep's Barcelona. Utterly dominant and they made it look so goddamn easy. We look like shambles in everything we're trying to do. A 5 meter pass looks like something only a visionary in the style of prime Scholes or Xavi in this team would be able to do. There is no simplicity in our team, just utter chaos.
Simplicity is a 5 yard pass, Sunday league can play it but then finding space for the return pass is something that has too be mastered.
You remember Pirlo against England in the Euros that time ? He didn’t make one sprint but bosses the game based on movement and brains.

This is my problem with Ole though it be different if we tried playing a style like that and our CM quality let us down but he look lost out there most matches.

432JuanMata

Slight side note but saw it pointed out on twitter and hadn't quite realised it until now but our team isn't the young and up-and-coming one I still picture it as being.

Our starting 11 by age:

23 - 28 - 28 - 26
24 - 28
20 - 27 - 28
With the likes of Cavani (34), Martial (25), Lingard (28), Rashford (23), Lindelof (27), Sancho (21), Henderson (24) and Telles (28) on the bench as well. Almost half of our minutes have been played by players aged 27-29, 65% by players who are 27+.

What we're currently seeing is our team at its peak years. Insofar as we've been building towards something, that something is now.
This is the reason he is getting stick and under pressure. This is our best team in years and has the right age balance of a team, he deserves credit for building the team but he has too then use it which is not looking like happening

United in sin

He's old as dirt and hopped onto every job he found on ziprecruiter. That's his biggest accomplishment apart from winning the premier league with Leicester City.
He managed mostly big clubs like Juventus and won trophies with the likes of Fiorentina and Valencia, including the UEFA supercup before he won the league with Liecester. He also has racked upa good amount of individual accolades/awards. He's not a bum of a coach. I doubt Solskjaer will ever reach the heights Ranieri has as a manager, even as unspectacular as his (Ranieri's) career has been when stacked up against the very best

Karlos PFC

Our starting 11 by age:

23 - 28 - 28 - 26
24 - 28
20 - 27 - 28

So by the time Ole leaves we will still need to continue this "rebuild"?

Who would have thought

rotherham_red

Our starting 11 by age:

23 - 28 - 28 - 26
24 - 28
20 - 27 - 28

Up until the start of this season and Henderson's unfortunate bout of Covid, that 30 year old goalkeeper wasn't in the first team picture.

Likewise, the 28 year old in that double pivot is likely to be replaced by a much younger player. And the 28 year old left winger is only there right now because the 23 year old Rashford is injured. And then obviously the 36 year old CF isn't the man for the long term either, with the 20 year old Greenwood replacing him eventually.

MichaelRed

Honestly, I don't care that the players get on with him and want him to succeed. I want there to be more Timothy Dalton James Bond films but hey, there isn't & never will be. If something is out of your control it doesn't matter how much you want it so they can keep wanting him to be a good coach but the players can't suddenly make him good at his job.

GueRed

Honestly, I don't care that the players get on with him and want him to succeed. I want there to be more Timothy Dalton James Bond films but hey, there isn't & never will be. If something is out of your control it doesn't matter how much you want it so they can keep wanting him to be a good coach but the players can't suddenly make him good at his job.
An Underrated James Bond imo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When you see things like this start to come out then you know the end could be near. I wonder if the club are starting to take note of the criticism and are a bit less firm in their stance of backing Ole no matter what.
It's worrying to see leaks about the players questioning the coaching.

Cloud7

When you see things like this start to come out then you know the end could be near. I wonder if the club are starting to take note of the criticism and are a bit less firm in their stance of backing Ole no matter what.
If there’s one thing we know about our board, it’s that they’re the slowest to react to anything of all the big clubs in world football.

MUFC OK

Entirely believable, doesn't mean there's any truth in it though.

I reluctantly believe that we're not going to get where we want to be with this managerial/coaching set up. It's clear as day at this point. We've been 'building something' for 3 years, and under different management, for 8 years. The time is now for this group to compete for the biggest trophies. Of course if our next 5 games are a mixed bag/disaster then injuries to Maguire and Varane will be blamed but the excuses are running very very thin now.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Read back.

We’re talking about the boards, not the managers.

But that said, both the managers you’ve named have done far better in the PL than Ole did when given similar resources.

Whether or not either of them could cut it at a behemoth like Man Utd I have no idea - but that isn’t and wasn’t the point.
Comparing Cardiff to Southampton/BHA is similar to comparing those 2 with Utd.

As far as the board's point of view is concerned, the objectives for the 2 clubs are different - so again comparing them is not as simple. For us, gaining commercial revenue, increasing our reach and visibility is as important as footballing side of things - like it or not. Ofcourse, footballing side needs to be the base of all it, as more trophies=more reach and increased fan base, but even for the level we were at in terms of talent and reach, our revenue was not reflective of that earlier, and we addressed that

Zen86

There's nothing particularly damning there, even if it is true (which is a big if). But I'm sure alarm bells will be ringing based on our recent results nonetheless. I don't buy into this self pitying "Glazers are happy they only want top 4" rubbish. At the end of the day we've spent a considerable amount of money and they will undoubtedly want to see something come from that.

jamesjimmybyrondean

School mastery? PE teacher jokes may not be far off after all :lol: . All this may be false anyways but I think there's some truth that Ole isn't heavily involved in the coaching. He's said it himself that he's moreover a manager. Also Carrick's skill of spotting details makes some sense when you see him just sitting there looking like a hermit squinting his eyes observing God knows what :lol:

Amir

It’s because with other managers even with how bad it got there was a style in place.
We hired LVG he brought a possession based style and failed miserably, instead of trying to get a manager with the same style he abandoned it and got Jose who was the opposite.
We didn’t have a way of playing yet since Ole we have said we are bringing the old way back but nobody sees a set way of playing
I think it's deeper than that and goes to the sentimental and emotional connections that the supporters have with Solskjaer and never had with previous coaches. Some hang on to that, others resent that - and it causes a rift that goes further than football style or results.

I know I was against the appointment from day 1 because I saw it as nothing more than sentimental and an attempt to recreate the past. And frankly, I'm not keen on sentiment.

jamesjimmybyrondean

There's nothing particularly damning there, even if it is true (which is a big if). But I'm sure alarm bells will be ringing based on our recent results nonetheless. I don't buy into this self pitying "Glazers are happy they only want top 4" rubbish. At the end of the day we've spent a considerable amount of money and they will undoubtedly want to see something come from that.
If we don't at least challenge for the title this season I don't imagine how the club will cough up another 100m+ when Ole goes to them asking for Rice and Haaland

MUFC OK

I’d love to make a thread for this but am very wary of the ‘not another ole thread’ comments it would invite.

Can anyone suggest a starting XI with whom OGS could win a league title?

It seems as though the current crop may not be good enough to mount a serious challenge and I’m struggling to think of exactly what he would need to compete with the likes of Liv/City. Maybe Kanté and Veratti in holding midfield?

Zen86

If we don't at least challenge for the title this season I don't imagine how the club will cough up another 100m+ when Ole goes to them asking for Rice and Haaland
They'll pull the trigger if we're far away from a challenge this season. Putting the breaks on investment while keeping the same management team in place would be counter-productive and effectively pour the last few years of rebuilding down the drain. They won't want that.

romufc

I’d love to make a thread for this but am very wary of the ‘not another ole thread’ comments it would invite.

It seems as though the current crop may not be good enough to mount a serious challenge and I’m struggling to think of exactly what he would need to compete with the likes of Liv/City. Maybe Kanté and Veratti in holding midfield?

I dont understand why you think the current crop is not good enough for a serious title challenge?
We said we cant challenge without CB/RW last season, this season he got the RW but does not play him.

Now we say he doesn't have a CDM, I mean when will the excuses stop? He wouldnt get this Liverpool team in the CL places let alone title challenge.

He's had 3 seasons, so he should know whether Fred / McTominay are good enough.

Other managers, when they are short in areas would either have a youth player in there or sign someone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Is this a joke?

Eriku

School mastery? PE teacher jokes may not be far off after all :lol: . All this may be false anyways but I think there's some truth that Ole isn't heavily involved in the coaching. He's said it himself that he's moreover a manager. Also Carrick's skill of spotting details makes some sense when you see him just sitting there looking like a hermit squinting his eyes observing God knows what :lol:
That statement was embedded in a tweet that also said he’s got the potential to manage a top 6 club. A bit all over the place, not sure what to make of if :lol:

Eriku

Really isn't. He's got a near complete team and can't get us playing anything that resembles coherent attacking football. We look as clueless as ever.
Nice and sincere idea for a thread there, mate. Sure to yield rich discussion that we won’t find elsewhere on this forum.

MUFC OK

I dont understand why you think the current crop is not good enough for a serious title challenge?
We said we cant challenge without CB/RW last season, this season he got the RW but does not play him.

Now we say he doesn't have a CDM, I mean when will the excuses stop? He wouldnt get this Liverpool team in the CL places let alone title challenge.

He's had 3 seasons, so he should know whether Fred / McTominay are good enough.

Other managers, when they are short in areas would either have a youth player in there or sign someone.
I agree with you. I think the current crop is definitely good enough, but the manager and coaching is not. We said we needed a top RW and a CB, and ideally a DM. We didn't get the DM but got Ronaldo..

We should all know McFred aren't good enough, and most do by now.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask what more he could possibly need to be in a sustained title race for the entire season. At this point I feel you could add another 2 or 3 world class players and it still wouldn't be enough under OGS.

MUFC OK

Nice and sincere idea for a thread there, mate. Sure to yield rich discussion that we won’t find elsewhere on this forum.
It obviously assumes that the current group with fall short this season which isn't a certainty but seems more likely than not.

We should be unified in the opinion that 3rd/4th and 10+ pts off the title winners isn't good enough for Ole to keep his job. Imo he should be sacked if we fail to qualify from our CL group regardless.

b82REZ

No. Just stop churning shit out for clickbait to idiots who believe it and citing “sources”.

Lazy journalism (sic) for lazy readers.
Would you be as angry if the sources claimed all was good and Ole was giving out back rubs as an incentive to get the team playing well?

The Athletic are a well renowned paper that tend to not do clickbaity things.

The murmurings started a few weeks a go, The Athletic have likely reached out to their club sources for some context. It's standard in journalism to not name your source.

While some outlets probably make up their sources, there is nothing to suggest that a reputable outlet such as The Athletic have or would do that as it would have larger implications on their integrity with future stories.

Last edited:

RoyKeaneInTurin

I don't know what some of our fans expect out of Ole. Employing incompetent people can never be turned around and seeing Ole's United huff and puff for 3 years isn't enough for everyone to see that this team isn't going to go anywhere with Ole in incharge. Moyes was out of depth cuz of the start he had, LVG was past it and was too stuck on to change his methods. Jose's style of football ended in 2010, but Ole unlike our previous 3 managers was never good enough to begin with. Every day of him being our manager is making our season beyond which it can be saved.

MUFC OK

Would you be as angry if the sources claimed all was good and Ole was giving out back rubs as an incentive to get the team playing well?

The Athletic are a well renowned paper that tend to not do clickbaity things.

The murmurings started a few weeks a go, The Athletic have likely reached out to their club sources for some context. It's standard in journalism to not name your source.

While some outlets probably make up their sources, there is nothing to suggest that a reputable outlet such as The Athletic have or would do that as it would have larger implications on there integrity with future stories.
Exactly the sort of story that Ole would come out and squash in a presser. That has absolutely no bearing on whether it's true though.

Based on what we're seeing on the pitch I'd be shocked if Carrick/McKenna are top coaches compared to those employed by the most teams in the PL.

Eriku

It obviously assumes that the current group with fall short this season which isn't a certainty but seems more likely than not.

We should be unified in the opinion that 3rd/4th and 10+ pts off the title winners isn't good enough for Ole to keep his job. Imo he should be sacked if we fail to qualify from our CL group regardless.
I think most fans, whether they be Ole in or out, will agree that we have to be in a real race for real silverware this season. My point is that sarcastic threads adding to a forum already brimming with "Ole’s clueless!" statements isn’t really what’s needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.