Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The fanbase/club is in such a toxic place right now, fans turning on each other, fans turning on Ole, fans turning on the current sets of players and the class of 92. Numerous oppo fans mocking us.

Just a disappointing time for the club all around.

I’m looking forward to the weekend, and that’s not because I hope we lose, I want the team to play well and us to win a game of football. Just so we can try and forget the shit time we’re having right now. The fact we may not actually play well and win is another matter. I just want to forget the shite we’re in and watch the team that we all love to support for 90+minutes & hopefully win a league game for once.
Thanks to the CO92 and his friends and our impotent board. He should have been relieved all of his duties to avoid this. He is a dead man walking and everyone knows it. We aren't going to magically get someone in 3 weeks if we don't have 1.

If you want Conte, get him. If you don't want, get one of the caretakers in until end of the season. Whatever it is , do it now. Point stands, Ole has to go.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Thanks to the CO92 and his friends and our impotent board. He should have been relieved all of his duties to avoid this. He is a dead man walking and everyone knows it. We aren't going to magically get someone in 3 weeks if we don't have 1.

If you want Conte, get him. If you don't want, get one of the caretakers in until end of the season. Whatever it is , do it now. Point stands, Ole has to go.
Generally, I try not to blame others for how I conduct myself. In particular I don't say anything online I wouldn't say to anyones face.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Remember Steve Kean just couldn't be sacked for a period of time at Blackburn, despite looking utterly atrocious? Looks like Ole is getting that treatment.
That’s a really good shout, that.

Robbie Boy

:lol: Yeah. Though currently it sounds like they’ll be going for Xavi. I’m more concerned that our club isn’t even interested in Ten Hag and really only have eyes for Pochettino tbh, more so than competition from Barca.
I hope to God it's not Poch. He has been underwhelming for a number of years now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't one of the more reputable journalists report United weren't interested in Ten Hag and it was just internet talk? I keep seeing his name.

Now having said that at the time of writing it was pretty obvious that the board had no succession planning and so likely had no shortlist for the job. You would hope this has now changed.

Robbie Boy

Didn't one of the more reputable journalists report United weren't interested in Ten Hag and it was just internet talk? I keep seeing his name.

Now having said that at the time of writing it was pretty obvious that the board had no succession planning and so likely had no shortlist for the job. You would hope this has now changed.
There hasn't been any viable links to him. But yeah, why would a massive cooperation like Manchester United bother with trivial things such as continuity/secession planning. Pffft, that's so hipster.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We should give it to Marcel Bout until the end of the season. Bout is the most experienced coach at the club and has been assistant to both LVG and Jupp Heynckes.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There hasn't been any viable links to him. But yeah, why would a massive cooperation like Manchester United bother with trivial things such as continuity/secession planning. Pffft, that's so hipster.
You have to laugh.

A caretaker will likely be sought after these three games anyway, hopefully there is a good one available. Ten Hag in the summer is probably the candidate that ticks the most boxes. Keep tabs on Nagelsmann and Pochettino if they get sacked too. The board are probably expecting a turnaround though and have slouched back in their seat watching their bank balance go up.

Robbie Boy

Yeah I agree, though with the caveat that it may not be fair to judge him on his tenure at PSG. Still, I’m fairly certain he’d be a significant upgrade on Ole as a coach.
Aye, but his work in his final year or so at Spurs seriously stagnated. The CL Final was a total fluke - which papered over cracks - and they were atrocious in the final. Is he better than Ole? Sure, his CV is better. But I don't think their styles of football are worlds apart. We can't fall into the trap of appointing someone who is merely better than Ole, as with all respect, that's quite a plethora of managers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You have to laugh.

A caretaker will likely be sought after these three games anyway, hopefully there is a good one available. Ten Hag in the summer is probably the candidate that ticks the most boxes. Keep tabs on Nagelsmann and Pochettino if they get sacked too. The board are probably expecting a turnaround though and have slouched back in their seat watching their bank balance go up.
It's my worst fear right now, that they just wanted to ride out the storm and carry on as they are.

passtheball

The fanbase/club is in such a toxic place right now, fans turning on each other, fans turning on Ole, fans turning on the current sets of players and the class of 92. Numerous oppo fans mocking us.

Just a disappointing time for the club all around.

I’m looking forward to the weekend, and that’s not because I hope we lose, I want the team to play well and us to win a game of football. Just so we can try and forget the shit time we’re having right now. The fact we may not actually play well and win is another matter. I just want to forget the shite we’re in and watch the team that we all love to support for 90+minutes & hopefully win a league game for once.
This is what supporters (or ex-supporter?) of Ole have come to now. Bemoaning the negativity around the club after being thrashed 0-5 at OT by our biggest rivals. The negativity is very much required and is here to stay until fundamental changes are made (changing the team management to begin with; make your peace with it or log off from every forum).

As for the class of 92, they are acting like thick idiots at best (P. Neville) or indulging in naked nepotism (G. Neville) at worst. They should be called out.

If you think winning a football game at the weekend is going to remove the toxicity, think again. Some of us care for the long-term health of this club.

Robbie Boy

You have to laugh.

That's the fear, we get some 'decent results' over the nexr 3, which will vindicate the Boards - in their eyes only, of course - opinion that he gets more 'time'. Naglelsmann got dicked 5 nil by Gladbach in the cup last night, so the Caf probably think he's only a 'hipster manager' again.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Any notion that he is 'the man' for the job is absolutely bonkers at this point. It's gone so far beyond that, that you would have to be a serious romantic to think otherwise.
I have another word for that.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Aye, but his work in his final year or so at Spurs seriously stagnated. The CL Final was a total fluke - which papered over cracks - and they were atrocious in the final. Is he better than Ole? Sure, his CV is better. But I don't think their styles of football are worlds apart. We can't fall into the trap of appointing someone who is merely better than Ole, as with all respect, that's quite a plethora of managers.
He is a coach at least, unlike Ole :). I browse Spurs forums occasionally. Based on what I read, the gist of what they think of Poch’s reign is as follows:

- Good at coaching a structured possession-focused, high pressing system based on a lot of hard yards by players
- Good at improving individual players (lots of them credit him with Harry Kane’s rise)-
- Needs time to implement his system (have to live with poor performances for longer than the likes of Pep, Klopp until things click)
- Not great at in-game management (substitutions etc.)
- Final season attributed to totally burning out his players over the years and not being allowed to refresh his squad even though he had been calling for it.

But yeah, I really hope we go for someone better. I don’t trust the board at all though, so I’m trying to find positives in the likely scenario that we end up with Pochettino.

theklr

That's exactly what Utd should be doing. There will be a much better choice of managers at the end of season. We really should be going all out for someone like Ten Hag who has a great footballing philosophy and whose team play attractive football. He has Ajax going toe to toe with the best in Europe on a much smaller budget. I don't think any of the managers available now are the right fit. We really need to get the right man in this time. Look at how Liverpool and Chelsea are progressing now under Klopp and Tuchel. It took Klopp a while to find success at Liverpool but he had the pedigree and had been successful at Dortmund and you could see progress at least. We look as disjointed and inconsistent as ever after 3 seasons with Ole in charge. Ole should only have ever been a caretaker himself. He should never have been considered for the permanent job with his experience, what other top club in Europe would have hired him on his credentials prior to the Utd job? Yes, none...even if he's available I doubt there is a team in the EPL who would be keen on him. He hasn't shown that he has any tactical acumen or style that he wants to play in.
While i agree Ten Hag is a very exciting prospect, he does come from a club where absolutely everything is built around the football and there is complete harmony all the way up to the top and within the team (in terms of less ego and star power).

It is also a much much smaller club in terms of the pressure to deliver , media scrutiny and the league they play in.

While his 2019 run was impressive, I must say at least Klopp had a much more solid performance history with Dortmund, and Tuchel had a big-club experience.

Dont get me wrong, I would really like to see him here - but after the trophyless Solskjær reign I'm just not sure if the players and the media/fans will have the necessary patience with him.

But maybe this seasons CL run will shed some more light on his abilities against the best European managers.

MattofManchester

It's a deeply ironic state of affairs given we don't associate toxicity with Ole, but with Jose, and yet both have created a form of toxicity surrounding the club.
Ole was supposed to be good vibes but we can't even say that now.

MattyLT

As long as the next manager is named something in the region of "Juup Hägelkeutel", I'm happy with that. Ten Haag sounds quality.

Robbie Boy

He is a coach at least, unlike Ole :). I browse Spurs forums occasionally. Based on what I read, the gist of what they think of Poch’s reign is as follows:

- Good at coaching a structured possession-focused, high pressing system based on a lot of hard yards by players
- Good at improving individual players (lots of them credit him with Harry Kane’s rise)-
- Needs time to implement his system (have to live with poor performances for longer than the likes of Pep, Klopp until things click)
- Not great at in-game management (substitutions etc.)
- Final season attributed to totally burning out his players over the years and not being allowed to refresh his squad even though he had been calling for it.

But yeah, I really hope we go for someone better. I don’t trust the board at all though, so I’m trying to find positives in the likely scenario that we end up with Pochettino.
Don't get me wrong, he done some good work at Spurs, and for a period, he played some good stuff. But as time went on, he became far more conservative with his football, and it honestly wasn't too dissimilar from some of Ole's stuff. His record in the transfer market isn't great either. I would personally steer clear.

But yeah, he's better than Ole. There's a reason he'll probably always manage at a relatively high level, whereas Ole very likely won't.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don"t think it will be a caretaker with so much of the season to play. The coaching team needs replaced. I feel certain a new manager will come after the city game. If Ole loses to Spurs then a caretaker might happen for a few weeks.
A caretaker is the only thing that makes a bit of sense in this whole fiasco, unless Conte comes in and it sounds like the board have reservations making that appointment. If we can bring in someone like Blanc until the end of the season what's the worst that can happen? If Ole, who came in in December managed to elevate our results for 3 months then I'm confident another caretaker manager could keep the ship afloat until the end of the season.

Everything obviously depends on the board. Maybe someone like Murtough can convince them that it's time to change the strategy and if that means waiting until the end of the season for a more acceptable candidate then I'm all for it. If its a choice between caretaker or Ole then I don't care who they bring in. I just want Ole gone.

Sviken

A caretaker is the only thing that makes a bit of sense in this whole fiasco, unless Conte comes in and it sounds like the board have reservations making that appointment. If we can bring in someone like Blanc until the end of the season what's the worst that can happen? If Ole, who came in in December managed to elevate our results for 3 months then I'm confident another caretaker manager could keep the ship afloat until the end of the season.

Everything obviously depends on the board. Maybe someone like Murtough can convince them that it's time to change the strategy and if that means waiting until the end of the season for a more acceptable candidate then I'm all for it. If its a choice between caretaker or Ole then I don't care who they bring in. I just want Ole gone.
Nothing bad is gonna happen, but you're placing your bet on chips that are unlikely to fall in place. For one, if the deal is to wait for the summer for Ten Hag to come, what guarantees do we have that he will come? Furthermore, it is a risky appointment by itself. I welcome it, but we need success now, not 5 years from now or whatever. And If Ten Hag doesn't come, what do we do then? Keep in mind that PSG might be gunning for him, or City (depending on whether Guardiola stays or leaves at the end of this season). We don't have the resources to compete with the sheikhs. While we dither Conte might get snatched and then we're going to be in big trouble and have to gamble it all on someone like Graham (who I do rate highly, but it is a massive gamble nevertheless). We'll also waste a shit ton of time that could be spent on Conte fixing the system, seeing what works, what player he needs, etc.

I think the situation is fairly simple. Get Conte now, let him perform. Judge him at the end of the season and see the availability of other managers, if it wasn't satisfactory. If it was, give him another season. Yada, yada, as long as he doesn't fail. If he does, sack him, find a new manager. This is how top club works. Instead we sit here and wonder what should we do, what the future holds and what not while in the mean time Bayern and Madrid have already replaced 10 managers that haven't worked gold and stuck gold with that one who performed to expectations. This is the model we should follow. We keep overthinking managerial appointments when it is as simple as having a bad player in your team or a good player. You give them an improved contract or you sell them, depending on how they play.

theklr

Problem with that is that most quality managers wont accept a «until end-of-season» contract

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Problem with that is that most quality managers wont accept a «until end-of-season» contract
Which is why someone like Blanc, in my opinion would be a good choice. I think he only has 6 or 7 months left on his contract so he's accessible. Maybe not a top quality coach we'd need full time but as a stop gap he wouldn't be the worst choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.