Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The flaws were indeed clear and it is also now clear that Ole and team have no idea how to address them. He chased Sancho for 2 years but has no idea how to best use him. The modern game sees full backs press high and be a key attack point, yet we sign AWB who has none of those attributes. Bruno bailed out Ole and the team last season, he cant do that alone indefinitely. The only reason Ole is still here, or here at all, is Woodward. All Woodward now cares about is protecting his legacy, he doesnt want Ole to go down as his
third and biggest managerial disaster (though appointing a past sell by date Mourinho who only seems to have self-destruct mode will always run Ole close).
Agree with much of the post but this myth needs to die. From January to the end of the season Bruno was poor, from sept to December United were poor.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
They are leaking that they won't be leaking Ole out stuff out of respect towards him.

Circus.

Foritfied

This will definitely be controversial, but Jose didn't lose the dressing room. Our club lost Jose. Imagine SAF "lost" the dressing room because he called out a couple prima donnas for not working hard enough.

The club wouldn't have sided with the squad, they would've turfed those players off in an instant and found players with the correct temperament. Pogba is the perfect example. SAF didn't give into his entitlement while he was here, and wouldn't have upon his return.

I'm Ole out now because of the embarrassment against some of our rivals showed he can't go toe to toe tactically with the best. Unfortunately, I fear we'd be title challengers if we let Jose stay and manage the past three years instead.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So leak they are looking to replace him but out of respect wont do anything incase leaks do any damage. The PR from the club is an utter farce
They are leaking that they won't be leaking Ole out stuff out of respect towards him.

Circus.
I mean it’s not that hard to understand. There is lots of leaks happening at the moment. So sources don’t believe talks are taking place because of said leaks would be disrespectful to Ole.

Maybe you’re just trying to find any excuse to batter the club with now?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I mean it’s not that hard to understand. There is lots of leaks happening at the moment. So sources don’t believe talks are taking place because of said leaks would be disrespectful to Ole.

Maybe you’re just trying to find any excuse to batter the club with now?
Yeah, it’s hard to find any excuses to batter the blub as it is.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
As a Chelsea fan, I almost feel sorry for you Utd fans and at the same time want Ole to be appointed for life. It is a strange combination of emotion.
Yea it's like you gloat in a loss or two but you don't want to see a rival fall so much that it takes a big challenge away for good.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Vibes and United DNA. True fans know that those two are the most important priorities of the club.

He gets so much credit for "restoring the locker room mood" or whatever after Jose, but the fact is that Jose in his season was throwing a tantrum and burnt bridges in the locker room to a point that just him being gone likely restored most of the morale, whether it was Ole or my nan taking over.
So Ince was right, kinda thought that at the time to be honest

giggs-beckham

Clueless
1:20 of that training video.

Is that Ole's new plan for our defence to beat the press? Hold off a defender and hope the defender can skin the oncoming attacker?

I don't see anyone coming to give an option in that clip, which is pretty much what we seen week in week out when teams press us.

Good to know this is being worked on.
Apart from sancho, moves and receives nothing. He'll learn

Devil’s Trident

Given the board wants him to succeed and if we get top 4 then I assume they won’t sack him. Right, so we need a DM, a RB and we lose Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, VDB, probably Bailly too next season then we enter the rebuilding phase again? and give him 200m more to complete the process?

Kag

Quite sad how this has panned out this season. Feels like a slow wait until the hammer falls, and nobody benefits.

USREDEVIL

Quite sad how this has panned out this season. Feels like a slow wait until the hammer falls, and nobody benefits.
We are in limbo mode. Everyone is waiting until he's sacked to start giving a feck again. We need to open a new chapter as we know how this one ends.

Kag

We are in limbo mode. Everyone is waiting until he's sacked to start giving a feck again. We need to open a new chapter as we know how this one ends.
Probably. The sadder thing is that I’m not particularly enthused about the new chapter either, in truth.

9 Stone Elvis

There is a vast difference between the CL final and the EL final. Speaking for most of us here, reaching the EL final did not induce anything remotely close to the kind of euphoria that reaching the CL does. And losing the EL didn't hurt as much as losing the CL final might have (as I assume it hurt City fans) because it's a second rate competition.

But the more intriguing point you make is that fans would have hammered the club for sacking Ole had the new manager not have the squad hit the ground running. Possibly, but I doubt that. You might recall that we finished the 20/21 in poor form, with poor results trickling in, week by sad week. Nothing like right now, but the disillusionment was real and the appetite was there to sack Ole. Had we brought in a new manager we might still have seen the kind of diabolical performances to begin the season that we've seen under Ole, but not only is that doubtful it's also unlikely that club supporters would demand that new manager's sacking.

The point is this: What we've witnessed under Ole this season is nothing that we haven't seen before. This is a continuation of what we've seen under Ole, on and off, for the last three seasons. A new manager may have needed some bedding in to get used to the demands of United, but I'm pretty sure club supporters would not have demanded a sacking after only three months.
I know what the Europa League means I'm simply using it as an illustration of what he did. Of course we want to be in CL finals and winning titles but what Im saying is coming 2nd and getting to the final is an improvement on not coming second and not getting to the final. If you are on an upward curve then you add in players and you kick on. Thats my point. Had he done that and kicked on it means a title challenge and CL progress. He hasn't.

Im also not saying fans would have demanded sacking after three months but what I am saying is that there is a strong part of the fan base that will blame the owners and those associated with them for everything that is not going well at the club. People who get not one shred of praise when things are going well will be held to account when they aren't. If we sacked Ole from a position of second place and appointed lets say Pochettino, and we were off to a slow start there is no way you are telling me that the narrative would have shifted to the idea that the incompetent owners sacked the club legend who got us to runners up spot and wasn't allowed to kick on and hired a man who has won nothing? Come on, we know how football works. Im not saying its true but thats the narrative. Just as there is an every growing group of people who never wanted Ole but funnily enough remained silent until this season!

AndySmith1990

I know what the Europa League means I'm simply using it as an illustration of what he did. Of course we want to be in CL finals and winning titles but what Im saying is coming 2nd and getting to the final is an improvement on not coming second and not getting to the final. If you are on an upward curve then you add in players and you kick on. Thats my point. Had he done that and kicked on it means a title challenge and CL progress. He hasn't.

Im also not saying fans would have demanded sacking after three months but what I am saying is that there is a strong part of the fan base that will blame the owners and those associated with them for everything that is not going well at the club. People who get not one shred of praise when things are going well will be held to account when they aren't. If we sacked Ole from a position of second place and appointed lets say Pochettino, and we were off to a slow start there is no way you are telling me that the narrative would have shifted to the idea that the incompetent owners sacked the club legend who got us to runners up spot and wasn't allowed to kick on and hired a man who has won nothing? Come on, we know how football works. Im not saying its true but thats the narrative. Just as there is an every growing group of people who never wanted Ole but funnily enough remained silent until this season!
Re. The bold bit. I was one of the people who never wanted Solskjaer to begin with. Hiring a vastly underqualified ex player as manager was always going to turn into a disaster. But what choice did we have but to remain silent? The hoardes of fans who were living in cloud cuckoo land, day dreaming about the legend Solskjaer emulating Ferguson and leading us back to greatness, would've shot down anyone daring to suggest he wasn't the right man.

It was always going to take an implosion for those people to come to their senses. It always needed to get to the point where the players lost faith and started to see through the the "good vibes" manager, and that other than being a nice guy he has nothing else in his locker. Only when things get really bad do enough people react. Until then it's impossible to have rational and constructive discussion about the possibility that replacing Solskjaer would be in our best interests.

Even going into this season off the back of a miserable final defeat in a second rate competition, I could see the narrative shifting during the summer in preparation to defend Solskjaer. The narrative was the poor midfield. That's the problem with trying to argue against concepts like hope and faith, its like an atheist arguing with a priest. You can provide evidence, logic, rational, but they'll rebute it all with ifs, buts, and blind faith. That's where we were with Solskjaer until quite recently. At least now the majority appear to be on the same side.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
The coaching staff need to work on team position and movement on a large pitch. I don't think a game of 5's is going to cut it. Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Gordon Godot

This club is finished. :lol:

Players feel he has favourites. I know what I’ll do.. Have a meeting with my favourites.
Remember this is the guy 3 years into a 5 year 'rebuild'. But he is absolutely clueless on what he wants to achieve and how to do it. We have signed some good players, he has refused to sell others, and has zero idea what do with most of them. Shambolic. No wonder we are a laughing stock.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Presser is going to be cringy. I guess he will open with a smile to try and disarm/confuddle everyone. Then he will deflect a load of questions and talk about working together as a team to correct the situation. He will then go on to say wonderful things about his fringe players.

Then tomorrow he will pick his faves.

I want to watch his presser but I will probably turn it off after 10 seconds.

9 Stone Elvis

Re. The bold bit. I was one of the people who never wanted Solskjaer to begin with. Hiring a vastly underqualified ex player as manager was always going to turn into a disaster. But what choice did we have but to remain silent? The hoardes of fans who were living in cloud cuckoo land, day dreaming about the legend Solskjaer emulating Ferguson and leading us back to greatness, would've shot down anyone daring to suggest he wasn't the right man.

It was always going to take an implosion for those people to come to their senses. It always needed to get to the point where the players lost faith and started to see through the the "good vibes" manager, and that other than being a nice guy he has nothing else in his locker. Only when things get really bad do enough people react. Until then it's impossible to have rational and constructive discussion about the possibility that replacing Solskjaer would be in our best interests.

Even going into this season off the back of a miserable final defeat in a second rate competition, I could see the narrative shifting during the summer in preparation to defend Solskjaer. The narrative was the poor midfield. That's the problem with trying to argue against concepts like hope and faith, its like an atheist arguing with a priest. You can provide evidence, logic, rational, but they'll rebute it all with ifs, buts, and blind faith. That's where we were with Solskjaer until quite recently. At least now the majority appear to be on the same side.
Speaking for myself I was on the fence with Ole and thats the truth. I do rate being runners up as an achievement of sorts in terms of progress and getting to a European final in a similar sort of way. Not where we want to be but on the way. My problem was I didn't really know if we got to this point because of Solskjaer or despite him. We do have a good side and there was a list of things that could be responsible for us not quite getting there, one of which was the manager. I feel that we fixed most things this summer so if I doesnt work we can say its the manager. It hasn't worked.....so Im saying its the manager.

The midfield thing just annoys me because I think you put the worlds greatest DM into this side and if nothing else changes I dont think you see any huge improvement. Similarly we have played teams with vastly inferior players who have outplayed us so that confirms that you dont need 11 World Class players if your players are well coached and playing to a plan - something that anyone who watches any amount of football already knows.

So yeah its down to the manager but despite looking back and saying the writing was on the wall I think up to this season there was enough going well and enough ambiguity over what was going badly for him to remain in the job. That has now changed.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I had a scroll through posts on the first page of this thread and it seems the majority of us were buzzing when Ole’s appointment was first announced back in 2019. A few were even expecting us to win the league.

There were a minority of posters who were skeptical of his appointment but I’m sure none of us would have actually envisaged just how dire the situation will end up being considering the caliber of the players we ended up bringing in versus the performances.

Ole had most of us fooled.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Presser just starting. Who's got MUTV to give us the updates?

croadyman

I had a scroll through posts on the first page of this thread and it seems the majority of us were buzzing when Ole’s appointment was first announced back in 2019. A few were even expecting us to win the league.

There were a minority of posters who were skeptical of his appointment but I’m sure none of us would have actually envisaged just how dire the situation will end up being considering the caliber of the players we ended up bringing in versus the performances.

Ole had most of us fooled.
I was happy when he came in just as an interim but always said it shouldn't go any further than that, knew appointing him before the end of that 18/19 was a disaster

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Cheers.

edit: this bit was the only meaty one

What has gone wrong so far and how to fix it?
"We've been through periods like this before. Our away form, we've just gone 30-odd games and lost one. Last season we turned it around and went on a run of 20-odd games and one defeat, that's the kind of run we need to get back.
"This week we've prioritised a few things we have to improve on. Form and performances haven't been good enough. We can do better, should do better and it's down to performances on the day, human beings, sometimes you hit the post and it goes out, sometimes it goes in, that can affect the mood, atmosphere. We've got to focus on getting the start right."

Status
Not open for further replies.