Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When they know they’re wrong.
Martial missing the header, Lingard fluffing the chance, Lingard not able to control AWB's pass, Martial messing up one v one all don't count as real chances, because they were not on target.

Dr. StrangeHate

You can blatantly tell who were the Ole out/Jose acolytes who thought they could come in this thread and unload their bile because of the result...

That was a fantastic performance last night. We dominated them for c.75 of the 90 minutes and the progression from where we were just four months ago when we last played them is nothing short of phenomenal.

We adjusted really well to Wolves' period of superiority, so much so that little over 10 minutes after the equaliser, there looked like only one team was going to win the game.

We also have to look at our start in the context of last season. Before the season kicked off I’d have been delighted with 4 from 6 in the first two games, and considering we have these guys next: Palace at home; Southampton away; Leicester at home; and West ham away – in those corresponding fixtures, as well as taking in to account the Wolves and Chelsea games last season, we got 6 from the 18 points available. If we win v Palace on Saturday, we’ll have already beaten last season’s tally, and if we get 3 wins and a draw from the four fixtures above, that’s a really good start to the season IMO.

Everyone knows we're nowhere near the top 2 at this moment in time, but having seen what the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal have produced thus far, I think we currently have what it takes to make a really good fist of challenging for Top 4 and EL. And what's more, and it tallies with what I thought at the end of last season: that we're likely to get better as the season progresses, as the players get more used to their movements and the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, and Chong, potentially even Garner, break through.

I just hope the board have the patience to accept a further season out of the CL if we just miss out because we can all see what Ole is working towards and the plan he's implementing which will finally see us play fast, proactive football with a focus on the academy. It'll take a couple of seasons, but honestly, it's so, so exciting.

I've not felt this optimistic about us since Woody went nuclear on deadline day in 2014, but this time it seems it's for all the right reasons.
So far there hasn't been any focus on the academy. It is a long season so that could change.
Secondly it seems it was Ole's policy to bring in players who really want to be here. We briefed journalists to that extent about Eriksen and Dyabala. Now if the briefings are true then Ole has to fall on his own sword if he doesn't make Top 4 as he decided to go this route and not get those players in. However if it is the Glazers tightening their purses then yes Ole should be given time as this team is not good enough to make Top 4 if we have any of Martial, Rashford or Pogba injured.

haram

Martial missing the header, Lingard fluffing the chance, Lingard not able to control AWB's pass, Martial messing up one v one all don't count as real chances, because they were not on target.
You keep bringing up shots on target as if that was my point. Off the top of my head those are the ones I remember and the examples you gave are not moments that strike me as massively creative moments apart from the Rashford cross that I now remember.

The point is we did not create enough period, whether that was 2 clear chances or not. That’s the real problem here.

roonster09

Scout
So far there hasn't been any focus on the academy. It is a long season so that could change.
It's just 2 games. He made Greenwood back up player, cleared squad spaces for promoting young players. You don't have to be a genius to guess academy players will play lot of mins.

roonster09

Scout
That is why I said it could change.
Academy player has been promoted from squad player to first name on the team sheet player, does that count for now?

He also promoted Tuanzebe to third choice CB (at least going by match day 18) there is a clear work in progress when it comes to promoting them.

It's just 2 games anyways.

Jambalaya

Did you even watch the game?
Yes I did.
Maybe if you can not beat Wolves at the third attempt you should not be manager of Manchester United.It is Wolverhampton not prime Barcelona.Woodward and Co. did a good job of lower expectation of the fans.

Edit:can not.

Last edited:

AshRK

You keep bringing up shots on target as if that was my point. Off the top of my head those are the ones I remember and the examples you gave are not moments that strike me as massively creative moments apart from the Rashford cross that I now remember.

The point is we did not create enough period, whether that was 2 clear chances or not. That’s the real problem here.
The issue is we won't be able to create that much with the quality we have. Pogba cannot work in a 2 man midfield and we don't have other quality midfielders. If we had a quality player instead of Lingard he would have score or atleast hit the shot on target. Also, Wolves are not a easy team to play. They are defensively organised and don't give their opponents that much. There is a reason they have a great record against top 6 clubs. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish ahead of one of the top 6 clubs. Having said that it was refreshing to see us playing well yesterday. It wasn't a perfect performance but it was a massive improvement from last season.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We are not Man City, where we can have a Mahrez sitting on the bench waiting. This only works if you win titles.
Mata is a good player to have on the bench.
Ole has already said he trusts Greenwood that is why we didnt sign another ST. Why is it that none of the fans trust a youngster? I guarantee you if Ole brought him on at 65 and scored. The perception on here would be why doesn'y he start rather than why we relying on youth.

I quite like that we have Greenwood on the bench than Sanchez.
Why did you make this solely about trusting the youngsters or not? There's a whole paragraph in my initial post where i explain why, IMHO, having all of Martial, Rahsford and Greenwood on the pitch for, like, a 1/3 of the game would have stretched us terribly in the midfield at a time when Wolves had found an opening on our left which was drawing Maguire wide and forcing McTominay deeper. It was a part of my response to a poster who claimed that Solkjaer was undecisive last night. There will be chances given to Greenwood, yesterday weren't exactly the most perfect of circumstances to introduce him. For instance, if we need a goal against Palace next Saturday at OT and we are in control, i believe Solskjaer will be less hesitant to give Greenwood some good minutes to have an impact.

And ifs, sadly, don't create realities. If Lingard had not fluffed his chance and if Pogba had not missed the penalty, why Greenwood wasn't subbed in earlier would not have been a matter worthy of discussion. We were doing just enough to win the game but we could not convert our (not so many but very good nonetheless) chances. The manager chose to persist on trusting our two best finishers to come up with the goods. What we lacked was more creativity.

Whether we like it or not, the youngsters are an unknown quantity, especially when we're talking about ages between 17-20. Of course, they need to be introduced properly to the side which means that the manager has to pick the right moments for them to come on and play their natural game. We already have one of the youngest starting lineups in the PL, for God's sake.

Dr. StrangeHate

Academy player has been promoted from squad player to first name on the team sheet player, does that count for now?

He also promoted Tuanzebe to third choice CB (at least going by match day 18) there is a clear work in progress when it comes to promoting them.

It's just 2 games anyways.
Unless they play, it doesn't count. When a senior player is injured we will see whether Ole plays Axel or Jones/Smalling. Similarly Sanchez and Mata in the forward roles.
But it is a long season so I get my comment could have been excluded as 2 games don't mean anything.

MadMike

The set up of the team was fine, we dominated the first half and were ahead on merit in a difficult ground. I also like the playing from the back, although it does feel risky at times and we might want to be more selective of its application. Like when faced by sides that press better and have more quality.

I’m a bit disappointed with how late he reacted with his subs. He didn’t react in the period of Wolves pressure, that eventually lead to the goal, and he didn’t react afterwards when we were chasing for a goal. I don’t see the reason not to give Mata or Greenwood 15 mins for a chance to make an impact, but to give them only 2 mins instead. It makes no sense unless you have settled for a draw.

My other worry is that he is too goody-goody with the players in a way that it doesn’t help the club. He should have the guts to tell “Rashy” to stop taking direct free kicks from the arse end of nowhere when we all know he’s just gonna put them in the stands from the moment he picks up the ball. Equally, he should have the balls to tell Pogba that his record from the penalty spot is not the best and he’s second in line to Rashford.

He needs a bit more steel generally, but he’s doing some things right at least.

Steven-UK

Solskjaer's post match interview was cringey and embarrassing; lacked managerial prowess and leadership. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and waiting so long to bring the subs on so that they couldn't have any impact was just bad.

It is those kind of games that will mean the difference between 4th place and 6th come end of season.

romufc

Why did you make this solely about trusting the youngsters or not? There's a whole paragraph in my initial post where i explain why, IMHO, having all of Martial, Rahsford and Greenwood on the pitch for, like, a 1/3 of the game would have stretched us terribly in the midfield at a time when Wolves had found an opening on our left which was drawing Maguire wide and forcing McTominay deeper. It was a part of my response to a poster who claimed that Solkjaer was undecisive last night. There will be chances given to Greenwood, yesterday weren't exactly the most perfect of circumstances to introduce him. For instance, if we need a goal against Palace next Saturday at OT and we are in control, i believe Solskjaer will be less hesitant to give Greenwood some good minutes to have an impact.

And ifs, sadly, don't create realities. If Lingard had not fluffed his chance and if Pogba had not missed the penalty, why Greenwood wasn't subbed in earlier would not have been a matter worthy of discussion. We were doing just enough to win the game but we could not convert our (not so many but very good nonetheless) chances. The manager chose to persist on trusting our two best finishers to come up with the goods. What we lacked was more creativity.

Whether we like it or not, the youngsters are an unknown quantity, especially when we're talking about ages between 17-20. Of course, they need to be introduced properly to the side which means that the manager has to pick the right moments for them to come on and play their natural game. We already have one of the youngest starting lineups in the PL, for God's sake.
My apologies, I misunderstood that then.

But the above post, I agree because watching the game even I was sitting there thinking who can we bring on? Mata yes, Greenwood for James seemed the likely change but James was working hard winning th ball back and we would have lost that.

I think where we could have benefited yesterday was moving Pogba up slightly and introducing Fred? It would have given us control and a change in formation.

I do not think there was much wrong, we have this issue with our forwards that we are not clinical enough. Lingard needs to be alot more clinical.

Foxbatt

I do not agree that we dominated them. Yes we had possession but we played in front of their defence most of the time. We have massive problems in the way we play. Just notice that when we have the ball on our flanks there is a hug gap in the middle third of as no one is moving into that space and hence there is no triangle and since there is no option of a pass. This is because of the way we are setup. We are set up for counter attacking only. If the other teams attack us then we can play. If they do not attack us, we have trouble breaking them down.
Even when Maguire of Lindelof comes out with the ball, we have two midfield players and everyone knows the ball is going to Pogba and they block that route. It forces Pogba into areas that he does not want to be in. Lingard is not dropping deep to help it out. Even when he does he turns away or tries to carry the ball or slows down. You cannot do that as the other team will get back into shape and position which Wolves did all day. We do not seem to do good medium one touch passing. Either it is too short or if long it is too wayward.
You cannot play against decent teams with just one style of play like we do. When Wolves tried to defend we tried to get in more attackers but that is getting in everyones way. For me the biggest fault was not taking Lingard off middle into the second half and not putting in Matic. Matic because that would have released Pogba to go forward a lot more and forget about his defensive duties for one. A Pogba that is around the opposition box is a dangerous Pobga to the opposition. I would also have taken James off and put on Gomez and push him in the centre just behind Martial. Gomez is quicker than Mata and maybe be able to create something from the middle.
If we play against a top team we would get thrashed if we play with this team and with this set up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He made it through first two heavy games of the season, which is a tough start, but 4 points is not that bad of an outcome. We'll see if other strong teams can demolish Chelsea 4:0... Shame he didn't got his midfielder, team playing better than Mourinho's United, with less fear, but there's still something to improve.

I really hope some players are angry only with themselves about yesterday, it's easy to blame manager, but if players won't show cool head and some will to improve, we can already start booking tickets for next Europa edition.

romufc

We are so quick to criticise our manager and players. We drew 1-1 with Wolves away from Home. This was their first home game of the season. They only had a period of 15-20 mins where we looked nervy, compared to last season where we looked nervy for 95 mins.

Secondly, he didn't go for another midfielder? Why is everyone banging on about this as if there was loads to chose from? The way we have signed players this summer, it looks like there has been a thought process. Longstaff was mentioned but he can barely get a start for Newcastle. If he was the option then I am sorry, I am happy with McT and Pogba with Fred as backup.

We have alot of fans ready to criticise but there has to be a a bit of perspective.

Devil may care

I like the way Ole is having us play both with and without the ball, we can build on what we've seen in the first 2 games. I do think he often waits too long to make a sub and I know he's kept Mata, Matic and Young around for experience because we have a young squad but that experience isn't going to help us as the 3 of them can't cut it at this level on the pitch, if they were coaches not players it wouldn't be an issue, but any time one of those 3 is on the pitch we'll be playing with 10 men.

Ultimately not getting the CM and #10 we needed I think will cost us top 4, not Ole, whether it costs him his job I don't know, personally if he finishes 5th or 6th and we play with thie approach we've started with consistently across the season, I'd give him another season.

RedDevil-85

The only thing that bothers me are the late subs.
And Solskjaer talking up Greenwood all the time but doesnt use him or seem to trust him.
Throwing on Greenwood with 5min left just seems unessesary and puts pressure on Greenwood to come up with something with 5min left.
Not fair on the kid in my opinion,let him start a match or at least give him 20-30 min to try and do something.

Other than that,think we are doing well and should have won yesterday.
We are heading in the right direction

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

My apologies, I misunderstood that then.

But the above post, I agree because watching the game even I was sitting there thinking who can we bring on? Mata yes, Greenwood for James seemed the likely change but James was working hard winning th ball back and we would have lost that.

I think where we could have benefited yesterday was moving Pogba up slightly and introducing Fred? It would have given us control and a change in formation.

I do not think there was much wrong, we have this issue with our forwards that we are not clinical enough. Lingard needs to be alot more clinical.
No worries.

I see your point about moving Pogba further up the pitch. Well, Fred wasn't even on the bench so that's one less option for us (I guess that he's not ready yet for the demanding pressing). We had either Tuanzebe or Matic to consider. The logic behind that would be to introduce a holding midfielder who would cover for Maguire whenever the latter was forced wide to help to track Traore. We would have "sacrificed" an attacking midfielder for seemingly better structure and we would have allowed Shaw to stay further up the pitch to support Rashford who, in turn, would have got more chances to cut inside and play closer to Martial who was a bit isolated toward the end. The problem with that is that it looks good on paper but it hasn't worked for us in the past. Pogba's presence deeper in the midfield during the build-up seems to be paramount. We struggle when he's not there to help carry the ball forward or whenever he's tightly marked or has a bad game.

Don't know, i believe it's one of these situations when it's easier to claim, as an outsider, that this or that would have turned the tide in our favour but it's much more difficult to make such calls when you're the one in the line of fire. Deep down inside, i believe we all realize that there weren't many choices that could have made us look significantly better yesterday. Thus the late subs... We'll have to create more choices from within the squad, whenever that's possible, and the youngsters will hopefully play a role in that. But it has to be the right moment. If it had been like it was in the first half, Greenwood instead of either Lingard or James (442) would have been a more calculated risk and one that could actually have bore some fruit. The time will come but until then the manager has to be more concerned with the bigger picture.

As for Lingard..... this is the role on the pitch i would choose to upgrade if i was given the chance to replace only one player in the starting lineup.

romufc

No worries.

I see your point about moving Pogba further up the pitch. Well, Fred wasn't even on the bench so that's one less option for us (I guess that he's not ready yet for the demanding pressing). We had either Tuanzebe or Matic to consider. The logic behind that would be to introduce a holding midfielder who would cover for Maguire whenever the latter was forced wide to help to track Traore. We would have "sacrificed" an attacking midfielder for seemingly better structure and we would have allowed Shaw to stay further up the pitch to support Rashford who, in turn, would have got more chances to cut inside and play closer to Martial who was a bit isolated toward the end. The problem with that is that it looks good on paper but it hasn't worked for us in the past. Pogba's presence deeper in the midfield during the build-up seems to be paramount. We struggle when he's not there to help carry the ball forward or whenever he's tightly marked or has a bad game.

Don't know, i believe it's one of these situations when it's easier to claim, as an outsider, that this or that would have turned the tide in our favour but it's much more difficult to make such calls when you're the one in the line of fire. Deep down inside, i believe we all realize that there weren't many choices that could have made us look significantly better yesterday. Thus the late subs... We'll have to create more choices from within the squad, whenever that's possible, and the youngsters will hopefully play a role in that. But it has to be the right moment. If it had been like it was in the first half, Greenwood instead of either Lingard or James (442) would have been a more calculated risk and one that could actually have bore some fruit. The time will come but until then the manager has to be more concerned with the bigger picture.

As for Lingard..... this is the role on the pitch i would choose to upgrade if i was given the chance to replace only one player in the starting lineup.

Agreed. I have been arguing against many fans who think Pogba should be No. 10. We tried it last year, it worked for a few games but IMO Pogba is more suited to sit slightly deeper where he is harder to mark, with a licence to join the attack. He can either play a wonderful ball from inside our half like Chelsea, or he can drive forward like the penalty.

We can all have this idea about this would be better or that player would be better But we Jose's team on paper was probably one of the best. Depth, youth and experience but it didnt work.

Hmm maybe the 4 4 2 might have worked but once we took of Rashford and James, we dont have speed on the wings.

Anyway, this was Wolves away who play a 3-5-2 and are a well organised team. They play 5 with Neves and Moutinho it will never be easy to create.

AshRK

You also cannot hope to win matches with Lingard starting in your attack as his record over the past 12 months shows. If you win its in spite of him, he disrupts the team by constantly losing the ball and doesn't score or assist. He didn't need to play both Gomes and Greenwoord, but he needed to play one of them or someone else instead of Lingard. Also note Gomes wasn't even on the bench.
Most of us knows Lingard is not good enough to win you matches but you cannot expect a 17 year old to be a difference maker. Also, let us not forget we had a raw 21 year old in James start his first game, so you definitely need experience. It's just been 2 games so it's too soon to criticise ole for not playing gomes. His time will come.

MisterLupus

We were unlucky against Wolves which of course happens - and the team looked way more solid and confident defensively and also better structured all across. We're finally able to both sustain pressure offensively and also to contain it defensively throughout an entire match - plus our passing and movement off the ball have improved a lot as has player morale it seems.

As for substitutes Solskjær doesn't adhere to the "substitute someone for the sake of substituting someone after X minutes played" - and for that I'm glad. He uses substitutes where and when there's need for them whether it be ten minutes into a game or with just two minutes remaining. Yesterday it was clear to see what he was trying - replacing Lingard and James with Mata and Greenwood when legs were tiring and it looked as if we wouldn't break through. Jesse wasn't really producing chances or providing creativity - and Greenwood is better at netting than both him and James so he'd be a safer bet than both if a chance did present itself. It's a pity though that Mata is our only option to Lingard but you play what you have and I wasn't surprised at all that he opted the way he did.

The penalty-situation is blown out of proportions. It was a brilliant save more so than a poor penalty - Pogba struck it hard and with purpose it was just bad luck and the keeper wanting it otherwise. Also Wolves had a strong game no questions asked. They were quite solid - hard to break down defensively and often looked dangerous on the attack. You can't pin us not getting all three points on our team alone - we have to give the opposition some of the credit as well. It was a good game against a strong contender performing at their best - away from home even - and we actually did enough for them to feel relieved about the one point they managed to scrape even stalling for time towards the end and looking anxious whenever we had the ball. Both of which wasn't the case last season - when we looked the lesser side most of the time.

So far this campaign is already looking a huge step up from last year's. Of course we're not 100% where we want to be yet and I'd be very surprised if we managed to get there during this season as well - but for the first time in years I'm actually excited about what I see and looking forward to every game so as long as we keep progressing the way we have I'm happy to tag along for the ride.

Last edited:

AshRK

Things he need to make sure going forward:
  • Do not play Pogba in a 2 man midfield. If you are then get a quality DM.
  • James and lingard should not start together. Both are work horses but lack quality.
  • Never bring Mata on when you are chasing a game or require a goal. He just slows down everything
  • Try to be a bit more proactive. He should have brought Periera for Lingard and Greenwood for James around 60th minute.
  • Work on set pieces. We are horrible at that.

rotherham_red

Secondly it seems it was Ole's policy to bring in players who really want to be here. We briefed journalists to that extent about Eriksen and Dyabala. Now if the briefings are true then Ole has to fall on his own sword if he doesn't make Top 4 as he decided to go this route and not get those players in. However if it is the Glazers tightening their purses then yes Ole should be given time as this team is not good enough to make Top 4 if we have any of Martial, Rashford or Pogba injured.
Anyone with any sense knows that the kids weren't going to be thrown in at the first instance. Especially during the first month, where we're playing one game a week. Once the EL and Carabao Cup games kick in, that will be the point at which the kids will be played. Or, did you think he'd throw them to the wolves at the first opportunity?

It's also patently obvious that Ole wanted at least a striker in to replace Lukaku. He also wanted a midfielder as evidenced by the strong links with Longstaff. But for one reason or another, he didn't get what he wanted. Would you rather we paid the exhorbitant amounts to Dybala/Eriksen to get them to come? Did you see how that turned out when Jose and LvG had those sort of players?

Ole is doing a cultural reset at the club which won't happen easily or quickly. By the end of this season I'm expecting Gomes and Greenwood to have fully broken through and in to the team, and that will go a long way towards getting us to where we need to be. Whether it is enough, is the million dollar question, but I'd be more than happy to find out.

If I had to hazard a guess, I think we'll end up 5th and win the EL, but I think we'll be much closer to 4th than what I had initially thought after deadline day.

Suedesi

I'm actually enjoying United play. It's not perfect by all means, but you could see the template Ole is using and I think he's shown clear signs of improvement. I like the high pressing which totally nullified the Wolves in the first half, I like the Martial/Rashford understanding upfront, I like the wingplay from Dan James + AWB, I like the solidity in the back. I think we're short in midfield a couple of players, a good DM and a quality #10 to replace Lingard, but we already knew that after the summer transfer didn't bring in those players.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
First manager that actually has a vision, a philosophy, and we can see it on the pitch.

A few more additions to this team and Im confident we'll be challenging again.

We need to stick by Ole. He's not just here to the develope the 1st team, hes heavily invloved at all levels.

Truly hope he gets a few years.

Dr. StrangeHate

Anyone with any sense knows that the kids weren't going to be thrown in at the first instance. Especially during the first month, where we're playing one game a week. Once the EL and Carabao Cup games kick in, that will be the point at which the kids will be played. Or, did you think he'd throw them to the wolves at the first opportunity?

It's also patently obvious that Ole wanted at least a striker in to replace Lukaku. He also wanted a midfielder as evidenced by the strong links with Longstaff. But for one reason or another, he didn't get what he wanted. Would you rather we paid the exhorbitant amounts to Dybala/Eriksen to get them to come? Did you see how that turned out when Jose and LvG had those sort of players?

Ole is doing a cultural reset at the club which won't happen easily or quickly. By the end of this season I'm expecting Gomes and Greenwood to have fully broken through and in to the team, and that will go a long way towards getting us to where we need to be. Whether it is enough, is the million dollar question, but I'd be more than happy to find out.

If I had to hazard a guess, I think we'll end up 5th and win the EL, but I think we'll be much closer to 4th than what I had initially thought after deadline day.
Regarding youth it is a long season and we will see. But playing Mata is pointless. He has been a useless player for a while now so trying gomes or greenwood instead of him can't be any worse. So yes I expected it but I understand why Ole would go for tried and tested.
A semi interested Eriksen or Dybala is still a more useful player than Lingard or James (not ready yet) as the above two players have not declined like Sanchez. Dybala has his country place to think about and Eriksen seems professional so it is not as big of a risk. All I know is Ole said we were looking at one or two faces which seem to be Longstaff and one other (probably Eriksen or Mandzukic). We had the chance to sign Dybala or Eriksen and we passed due to them preferring Spain (briefings). He got what he wanted and that is players that really wanted to be here. Now if he fails with those players it is on him rather than the board if the briefings are true.
In saying all that it has been a promising start and we do look like we should put up a good challenge for 4th. But if we lose any of Martial, Rashford or Pogba we will be lucky to be 5th. That our squad is so thin is a direct consequence of our recruiting policy under Ole.

romufc

• James and lingard should not start together. Both are work horses but lack quality.
  • Never bring Mata on when you are chasing a game or require a goal. He just slows down everything
  • Try to be a bit more proactive. He should have brought Periera for Lingard and Greenwood for James around 60th minute.
Seems like you have all the answers, and the coaching badges.

So all those points are because we drew to Wolves away? Where we were unlucky.

- Why can't Pogba play in a 2? What has McT done wrong?
- This was first time James and Lingard started, they both bring something different than what others in the squad will bring? who would you start? Perreira and greenwood?
- Mata is probably one you want to have at that time of the game as he can pick a pass out
- Perreira for Lingard is a like for like sub. Bringing Greenwood for James opens us up defensively. Have you thought of that?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

- This was first time James and Lingard started, they both bring something different than what others in the squad will bring? who would you start? Perreira and greenwood?
- Mata is probably one you want to have at that time of the game as he can pick a pass out
- Perreira for Lingard is a like for like sub. Bringing Greenwood for James opens us up defensively. Have you thought of that?

The negative aspects of a 2 man midfield is that they have to cover a lot of ground, they are thin in the middle and that the most optimal partnership in a 4231 formation is one dm and one b2b.

When we play with McTominay (b2b) and Pogba (b2b/am) we’re unbalanced and don’t use our players qualities in the best possible way. Square pegs in round holes.

Lingard has the same problem. To inconsistent as a creator in the middle when we attack and to weak and without positional awareness when we defend. He’s not good enough as a number 10 if we aspire to be a top team.

Scotty’s natural game isn’t as a defensive midfielder with responsibilities to cover Pogba’s mistakes and being the deep lying playmaker. His best games is with one creator (Pogba) and one dm (Matic with legs and on form), not in a partnership with Pogba who’s taking chances deep in our own half, often loses possession without enough cover behind and not solid enough in his defensive duties.

I will not give up on this. 433 with Pogba as a attacking creator at the top of our midfield with Scotty/Matic and Fred behind is our best option until we can buy a new dm. Yesterday we where out of steam after 60 minutes, our midfield was thin and Lingard was none existent. Until we can finish our games with more goals or dominate possession in 90 minutes then 4231 is to risky against the better teams.

AshRK

I don't know why you felt as if I was critical of Ole for yesterday's draw. I thought it was a good point and a decent performance.

There are plenty of reason why Pogba and our midfield struggles in a 2 man midfield. For starter we struggle to keep possession in the midfield. Nothing wrong with McT but he is still learning the trade and Pogba is not the best midfielder to have when you play 2 man midfield.

James is still raw and Lingard lacks the quality. Both are hardworking players but if 2 out of your 4 attackers are just there for working hard and running then you will struggle to create much chance.

Completely disagree with your third point re Mata. He is the last player you need to bring on when needing a goal. Did you even see his passing yesterday. He looked slow and kills all the counter attacking opportunities with his sideways passing. Trust me you don't need to obtain a coaching badge to know that.

Periera can play in midfield as he has shown in many games and Lingard cannot. The reason I would have brought Periera is to shore the midfield up and ask Pogba to go a bit more advance where he has shown to be more effective. Also James instead of greenwood would have worked considering periera would have given added protection to the midfield, meaning Greenwood need not go and track back like James had to.

Again this does not mean I don't rate Ole or I know more than Ole. These are the things I would like Ole to do in future.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We dominated the game for 75 Minutes. Not sure why there is even a debate about our midfield performance. The problem we have is we haven't got much creativity in midfield.

freeurmind

weak willed
Why doesn't Ole revert back to the 4-4-2 that he tried for a while last season with Rashford and Martial upfront?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
We are so quick to criticise our manager and players. We drew 1-1 with Wolves away from Home. This was their first home game of the season. They only had a period of 15-20 mins where we looked nervy, compared to last season where we looked nervy for 95 mins.

Secondly, he didn't go for another midfielder? Why is everyone banging on about this as if there was loads to chose from? The way we have signed players this summer, it looks like there has been a thought process. Longstaff was mentioned but he can barely get a start for Newcastle. If he was the option then I am sorry, I am happy with McT and Pogba with Fred as backup.

We have alot of fans ready to criticise but there has to be a a bit of perspective.
This. The corresponding cup fixture last season was a train wreck where we got outplayed for most of the 90 mins. This was a far superior performance. Progress.

El Zoido

The way 19/20 has started, I smell strong Top3 contender.
Badly lacking squad depth. When injuries and fatigue hit, we’re going to run in to problems. First XI is exciting though, it finally feels like we’re moving in the right direction.

Flytan

I'm growing on his tactics. I hope that our loss of control in some games is more of the poor personnel depth (and starters) we have and not an actual change of tactics. Replace Lingard, Mata, Andreas, etc. and add a RW and another good midfielder I think we would be great. His subs have been poor/awful though. Sure James scored in a few seconds against Chelsea but that game was already over. Subs against Wolves were horrid and late.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Most of us knows Lingard is not good enough to win you matches but you cannot expect a 17 year old to be a difference maker. Also, let us not forget we had a raw 21 year old in James start his first game, so you definitely need experience. It's just been 2 games so it's too soon to criticise ole for not playing gomes. His time will come.
Not sure why you are making such statements. Who expected a 17 year old to be a difference maker? I expect Gomes/Greenwood to do now worse than Lingard, even if its for 30 mins in the second half. Again note Gomes wasn't even on the bench. No one is asking them to be difference makers. Lingards performance is way below that of a difference maker or even someone who just doesn't hold us back.

Yes I will criticise a manager for selecting players he has already seen is not good enough and was even outperformed in preseason by a player who can't even make the subs bench. I'm within my rights to give my opinion.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I actually thought the 2 man midfield worked perfectly fine yesterday, hence we completely dominated the majority of the game, unlike our previous encounters with Wolves. Agree on the quality DM though

Status
Not open for further replies.