Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So, based on your faith in Ole you believe this season will be a success?

Yes, I’d rather make change sooner rather than it’s too late. It’s common sense.

Leicester were a shit show before Ranieri took over and they became champions. You will be surprised how a good manager with a good plan can make a team play well.
I'm expecting around 6th again with the squad we have (it's not good enough, yet), anything else will be a bonus. I don't think a different manager would dramatically change our fortunes one way or the other.

Where is Ranieri now? Why didn't he take his great plans to Fulham?

fergiesarmy1

You get the best available simple as.

It doesn’t really matter how horrible it looks when you fix your mistake. We talk a lot of bs so hardly it will make us look any worse.

The answer certainly isn’t a clueless manager out of his depth. If you want names - yes Allegri is much better.
Maybe but no guarantees again, we’ve been there with Jose and lvg

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Who brought that Championship winger?

Who made the unflushable Young captain?

Who persists with Lingard?

Who sold Lukaku and didn’t address the attack?

Who didn’t brought a midfielder after losing 2 first teamers?

Mind boggling how he’s exempt of responsibility.
*Bought

Oh that championship winger that scored our only goal today hmmmmm :angel::confused:

DRM

Honestly couldn't give a shit anymore, I'm just so apathetic to this club right now

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm expecting around 6th again with the squad we have (it's not good enough, yet), anything else will be a bonus. I don't think a different manager would dramatically change our fortunes one way or the other.

Where is Ranieri now? Why didn't he take his great plans to Fulham?
Managers aren’t expected to last 20 years at a single club. They are expandable if the club is ran right. Brief success is better than continuous failure don’t you agree?

3KDré

I didn't watch the game today.
Having watched the highlights we lost because of two errors by Lindelof and De Gea. De Gea should save that and Lindelof lost in the air to bloody Schlupp. That is appalling. Lastly we should have had another penalty and potentially even a red card from the ref.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe but no guarantees again, we’ve been there with Jose and lvg
You don’t have a guarantee. Yet the chance is much bigger which is the main point.

Again Moyes and Ole were worse choices and unsurprising they are the worst managers out of the four.

MrSingh2002

3 wins in 17 deserves a poll. The off season shouldn't mask Ole's cluelessness.

I see shades of Moyes in Ole when it was clear he was out of his depth and today's first half vs LVG football.

Ole's too soft for this.

matt10000

It's a new season, a new start. Yes, I am fully ignoring the end to last season just like I'm ignoring his first 3 months in charge last season where we had title winning form. He took over half way through a season. How did Klopp do when he took over only 2 months into the season at Liverpool? Not great is the answer.

Nobody is claiming Ole is a genius. The reality is that we have a very young squad and need a big rebuild, and I like A LOT of what Ole has tried to do so far. Yes, we will be inconsistent, but he's getting us trying to play football the right way, we aren't boring to watch at all, he's going after the right types of players and trying to get rid of the right players. We create plenty of chances every game and have real pace in the team again (and that's something Ole definitely prioritizes), while he also clearly wants to give chances to the youth to get into the side. That all means we will be inconsistent, we will have some random poor games, but it's about a general positive trend. We've considerably outplayed each of our starting 3 opponents this season, created plenty of chances in every game while limiting the chances to the opponents, and been dominant in every game. Guess what? That doesn't always translate to good results. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green. Sometimes, especially with so much youth in your team, you get inconsistent end product. That is to be expected, and it's something we simply have to live with the reality of for the next little bit.

And this has nothing to do with him being an ex United player. What Ole is trying to do and has tried to do since he came, I can confidently say that by next summer I'm convinced we'll be in a better position than we were when he took over, and we are already well on our way upwards rather than the endless downward spiral we were stuck in with Mourinho. We have holes in the squad, and combined with the youth, we'll be inconsistent like I said before, but we all knew it wasn't going to be an instant fix. So why is everyone losing their shit over basically 2 missed penalties being the reason we drop points in 2 games? Those are the margins in football so often, we just have to move on.
Agree with this - Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah Man United fans should like Ole for what he done as a player. I'm not going to pretend he is a good manager when he has done nothing to prove that.
It's absolute madness really. Ole has the job only and only because he played for United. United have a squad massively better than palace so yeah congrats that we dominated them . It might even be that they let us dominate them and play on the counter as a tactic

fergiesarmy1

You don’t have a guarantee. Yet the chance is much bigger which is the main point.

Again Moyes and Ole were worse choices and unsurprising they are the worst managers out of the four.
Lvg disappointed me most, I had zero expectation of moyes.

There has been progress under Ole I think, well we got rid of that pudding Fellaini :lol:

Foritfied

At least Ed can now start to get Poch excited.
Not a chance he leaves them for us. They've started backing him in the market with good players. Why would he come here just to try to restart a project from the ground up when he could be challenging for silverware?

NJM78

We definitely should of bought a couple of midfielders in I don’t know anyone that can disagree with that.

Europa could be a blessing g in disguise. I think we will see a lot of game time given to Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Chong etc...

If they perform exceptionally well in Europe then I can see Ole giving them some game time in the league too.

I’m bitterly disappointed in today’s game too, but I just feel the negative thoughts and vibe from the fans can funnel into the team. We need to back them not demoralise them.
I hope you are right about the players and I hope they do care and feel like they let fans down. Sometimes I feel a lot of modern players just enjoy their wealth and stature more than anything else.

We have big games against Arsenal and Liverpool soon after Southampton so they need to really look at themselves because the basics being done wrong is just not on, we need a marked improvement by players and Ole as we lose a couple more games in next few weeks we really will be in a mess.

As for the youth I hope we draw some rubbish teams in Europa so we can play them and gain confidence. Look at Greenwood today, he was brimming with confidence after pre season and I really think he should have started v Chelsea to continue that form, but with no real game time since, he looked well off the pace today with the added pressure due to us being one down at OT he did not play well.

It’s a tough call for Ole but have Lingard for example produce nothing week in week out achieves what. I would rather play a youngster like Greenwood who will make mistakes but surely improve over time. Same with Gomes, I fear we may lose him for free next summer if we don’t start giving him some minutes.

Enigma_87

You know who
Lvg disappointed me most, I had zero expectation of moyes.

There has been progress under Ole I think, well we got rid of that pudding Fellaini :lol:
LvG still won FA cup and CL place. Ole has our worst run in 50 years and can actually ‘improve’ on that.

Obviously the expectations were higher due to their resumes but that doesn’t mean that we should be happy with mid table finish because we appointed a nobody.

fergiesarmy1

It's absolute madness really. Ole has the job only and only because he played for United. United have a squad massively better than palace so yeah congrats that we dominated them . It might even be that they let us dominate them and play on the counter as a tactic
Understand your argument but at what point is it the players fault?

I played a decent level first team Lancashire league, the manager wasn’t worth a word of he said. Came down to what went on the pitch every time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

It's mind boggling how people think Solskjaer has an open chequebook to do what he wants and this squad is what he chose as a result.
Managers aren’t expected to last 20 years at a single club. They are expandable if the club is ran right. Brief success is better than continuous failure don’t you agree?
Our club hasn't been run right though, leaving us with a squad that isn't fit for purpose and set up for continuous failure. We've seen the first signs of starting to change that.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's mind boggling how people think Solskjaer has an open chequebook to do what he wants and this squad is what he chose as a result.

Our club hasn't been run right though, leaving us with a squad that isn't fit for purpose and set up for continuous failure. We've seen the first signs of starting to change that.
Who is talking about open chequebook?

Ole said he’s happy with the squad. Ed came out and said he will be backed.

If that’s the case he should be responsible with what happens on the pick and the results, or lack of them.

Appointing Ole is one of the reasons our club isn’t run well.

What signs? 3 wins out of 16? Seriously?

Dr. StrangeHate

I have said Ole is partly responsible for the squad and will rightly pay the price if we don't reach top 4.
But getting top 4 with this squad would be some achievement.

fergiesarmy1

LvG still won FA cup and CL place. Ole has our worst run in 50 years and can actually ‘improve’ on that.

Obviously the expectations were higher due to their resumes but that doesn’t mean that we should be happy with mid table finish because we appointed a nobody.
Not looking for a mid table finish but lvg got sacked mid fa cup win which shows in what regard that trophy was held (we would take it now :lol:)

Didn’t realise it was our worst run in 50 years if true (I remember the 80s when I was singing fergie out on united road) but I still “feel” it will come good with ole.

Enigma_87

You know who
I have said Ole is partly responsible for the squad and will rightly pay the price if we don't reach top 4.
But getting top 4 with this squad would be some achievement.
It’s not partly. But as any other manager on the planet if that plan doesn’t work he will have the biggest share of the responsibility. It’s how management work really.

Dr. StrangeHate

Chelsea have Abraham and Mount playing for them. They were literally playing in the Championship last season.
They have a decent team when everyone fit. Lampard's Derby looked good as well. He is continuing that at Chelsea. I expect them to be strong contenders for top 4.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Understand your argument but at what point is it the players fault?

I played a decent level first team Lancashire league, the manager wasn’t worth a word of he said. Came down to what went on the pitch every time.
Oh believe me I don't like the players at all . For the first time at the end of last season my feeling was that United could sell any player in the squad and I really wouldn't feel sad about it . Unfortunately across the board we are now full of decent to good players getting paid crazy money with little to show in terms of output . Problem is that I don't see Ole being the guy to turn that around either.

haram

They have a decent team when everyone fit. Lampard's Derby looked good as well. He is continuing that at Chelsea. I expect them to be strong contenders for top 4.
They will contend but it's not some big achievement if we finish ahead of them.

Enigma_87

You know who

SharpshooterTom

We gave him the contract too early and should've waited till the end of the season. Unfortunately our owners seemingly are influenced by what the pundits on TV say having demanded Solskjaer to be given a contract following the PSG victory.

fergiesarmy1

Oh believe me I don't like the players at all . For the first time at the end of last season my feeling was that United could sell any player in the squad and I really wouldn't feel sad about it . Unfortunately across the board we are now full of decent to good players getting paid crazy money with little to show in terms of output . Problem is that I don't see Ole being the guy to turn that around either.
I used to love nearly every play that played for us, lately I can’t count on one hand I feel the same for.

Dr. StrangeHate

They will contend but it's not some big achievement if we finish ahead of them.
Finishing ahead of both Chelsea, Arsenal and any other challenger that appears will be an achievement.
Mind you even if Ole gets us top 4, it doesn't mean he is the right person to get us challenging for a title. Challenging Liverpool or City would require a near perfect season. Would Ole ever reach that level. We will find out this season but not looking good.

Kemizee

Some of the reactions are a bit kneejerk aren't they? We've had two good performances and one bad one.

Don't see Solskjaer staying long-term but not sure we'd achieve by getting rid of him, not until the end of the season anyway.

This year is really about getting rid of the players we don't want and introducing some of the young talent. If we get top four it's a bonus.
For how many years should a club the size of Man United keep doing this? We are perpetually in transition(4th - 6th) and always needing to get rid of players who need 1 billion chances just to prove if they are up to our standards or not. I ask again..for how long?

Enigma_87

You know who
That cheered me right up :lol:
Mind you that was last season and since then our results are even worse. :lol:

Despite that Chelsea win(which improves it a bit) I honestly can’t recall a worse set of results for United manager since Jimmy Murphy.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Trying to update our footballing style and culture in the tactical modern age of 2019, by attempting to replicate the 90s and 00s motivational methods of a uniquely inspirational motivational manager, without that manager, was alwasy a pretty iffy recipie for success...

Liverpool’s decline was predicated on their slavish adherence to the “boot room”.... which fell apart when football changed in the 90s, and the old school ideologies of Souness and Evans simply didn’t cut it anymore.... yet for some baffling reason we’ve all convinced ourselves that the clubs failures under Mourhino and LVG (themselves antiquated - albeit high profile managers) was entirely down to them not being sufficiently “United” enough... which basically just meant “not Alex Ferguson”... or rather “not the subjectively mythical version of whichever of the many different Alex Ferguson sides we imagine had the most discernible style!”

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

United and Ole have definitive problem to be solve.

First. United didn’t had enough fast and skillful ball players to open up a parking bus Palace today. And the transfer window is close. So United only can solve the problem with intern solutions. But to be honest. Ole and his coaching staff should know the need of those kind of players. To prior and buy in the summer, special if Ole is planning to sell Sanchez too. United had money and two months should be enough to get realistic really good and skillful players. Like Chiesa, Bruno or Kai Havertz.

No competition from others big clubs to get Chiesa and Bruno. But i am not sure about Havertz.
Other reasons not to get a creative cm or rw. Maybe Ole and his team had trust on Greenwood and James as wingers. Why only one rw was linked to United. It was Pepe. And the RW position, has been clearly screaming out to buy by most of United fans for years now and Ole should know that too. Because he has following United for years after Sir Alex retirement. So not buying a creative cm and rw in the summer. The manager is the one to blame. Because Ole has said in public. He has the last word in United transfer in and out. Realistic target was out there to get.
So what can United do now, to solve the rw and parking bus problem?And i have been following United academy since the years of Januzaj and Depay playing reserve games. So i definitive know United academy players qualities.

So the intern solutions are:

+ Play Angel Gomes as a free 10. Right now, i rate Gomes as the best nr.10 player in the club. And special to open up parking bus. He is best to do it in the club. He is fast and skillful in small areas.

+ And as for RW against a parking bus team. Then you have Greenwood and Chong. James suit best for counter or playing in the left. James is not a Salah or Robben kind of player or never will be. To take on players like those two.

Then the line up be like this:

Greenwood/Chong - Gomes/Perreira/Mata/Sanchez - Martial/James/Rashford + Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

Then Lingard and James will suit better playing against opponents where United sit back. Then you stay compact and use a 451 formation and drop the nr.10 role. Have 5 midfield players is more compact then only 4 midfield players.

451 special against better teams :

Lingard/Greenwood - Perreira/Fred - McTom - Pogba - Rashford + Martial/Greenwood

Future extern solution if i was United manager:

+ If Chiesa is still at Fiorentina in December this year. Buy Chiesa in January and play him as right winger. Then United shall try to get Sancho next summer. But again. Chiesa is a must buy, because Chiesa can play all over attacking line. A versatile player.

Summer 2020 window targets:

- Sancho
- Kai Haverts
- Bruno if Pogba leaving

Pontential line up in January 2020, in a 442 formation

Chiesa - McTom - Pogba - James/Martial +

Rashford/Greenwood - Martial/Rashford

There you have adding Chiesa will help to open up parking bus team, will help some but could still be better. And hopefully not too late to get top 4. But using Gomes as a nr.10 from now to January will help some way to open parking bus team.

Until summer 2020:If without Pogba

Sancho - Havertz/Bruno - McTom - Chiesa +

Rashford - Martial

After Chiesa in January 2020

Then Sancho as new RW

And one of Havertz or Bruno for Pogba if he is leaving next summer.

So that are only the ways/solutions i think United and Ole can do. To fix and strengthen the attacking ability to open up parking bus teams.

Another solution intern is to train, coach and skill up your own players. To open up parking bus teams.
Then i can honestly suggest look at how Norwich are playing. United don’t have players like City and Liverpool. But Norwich midfield, full back and theirs attack. To be honest, right now. As a team Norwich are playing better attacking football and football in general than United.
Look at how they are playing. Theirs players are always moving to new areas after passing, the combination passing football. They are always moving to new areas to make it easier for the passer. And after 3 matches. We all can see how many chances Norwich had created, by moving alot without the ball. Not only one movement, but nany movement at the same time.
So to sum up. When United attacking playing as a team are not good as Norwich. Imagine if Norwich players have more clinical than Pukki. They will score more goals. Wait to Norwich meet Crystal Palace. Palace should park the bus against Norwich too. And even Palace park the bus against Norwich. Norwich players will find some way to open it up and score goal.

The Norwich head coach had been coaching his team really well. Norwich are playing how football shall play, in the attack of course. This is how i want to play football too. But instead of Norwich players. I buy and gel players like Sancho, Chiesa, Havertz, Martial and Rashford into a team. Always in the movement, to receive passes and make it easier for the passers.
So two thumbs up for Norwich head coach. Norwich are playing really good attacking football in the first 3 matches. A joy and really entertain to watch. A lot of good movement and precise passers. So again, look closely at Norwich players movement without ball. They are movement a lot without the ball. Because you can’t stand still against parking bus. So Let them work.

Again, Norwich attacking movement without the ball can inspire United and Ole, until United get players who already are good at doing it. Precise pass and movement football. Norwich are doing it right now. Really close to the top level, but without top players. Credit to Norwich head coach and his team.

Edit :

Alternative line up to get the best out of the squad and team is.
Put Rashford as right winger, James to left and Greenwood up with Martial upfront.

Then you have :

Rashford - McTom - Pogba - James/Gomes + Greenwood/Gomes - Martial

Special if you don’t trust Gomes as a free nr.10. Then you put Greenwood as a left striker with Martial upfront. Can need up Rashford workrate on the right side. But still Chiesa shall buy in next January. Because. Like Greenwood, develop Rashford as a best striker as possible. Then go out and try to buy Sancho in next summer. Then RW problem solve. Then you can move Chiesa over to left, if..you can get Sancho. Sancho and Chiesa on wide sides, potential best rw and left winger in Sancho and Chiesa. A future really good team to open up parking bus teans.

Last edited:

arthurka

Not a chance he leaves them for us. They've started backing him in the market with good players. Why would he come here just to try to restart a project from the ground up when he could be challenging for silverware?
This is still Utd that hasnt changed. But I get your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.