Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

No, go on. You obviously said it's nonsense (twice) It would be nice to back up your statement to my "hyperbolic nonsense", (ironic considering your choice of phraseology...)

We have 8 elevenths of a starting XI, with the likes of McTominay, Lingard, Pereira, and James getting consistent starts whereas they wouldn't be anywhere near a Chelsea let alone City or Liverpool. We then have the likes of Young, Matic, and Mata who are all seemingly ready for the glue factory but are constants on our bench. Beyond those three, we either have the deadwood who are persona non grata, or a bunch of kids whose sum total of first team minutes barely adds up to a full 90 minutes.

Do you really want me to compare that to those teams? Do you think their boards have allowed their teams to be in such a state of disrepair? They may not have players with the individual quality of someone like Pogba, but they have a complete team with decent squad and rotation options off the bench.

Meanwhile, 75% of this board are determined to collectively lose their shit over two teenagers... And you still say we're in a better state than the clubs around us :lol: what a fecking joke of a comment.
You're moving the goal posts pal. Don't change the argument.

I'm not talking about the top 6 clubs.

I'm talking about the teams below it which you mentioned beforehand.

"All but the top 6 are clearly in a worse situation than us." I said this, but you said, "Ok, genius. Tell me, who has it worse in the top 7-8? This includes, Wolves, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, btw."

So yes. Let's talk about how fecking Leicester, Wolves and Everton are in a better situation than us. We're so much worse off than they are unknowingly to me somehow. How are they in a better situation than us?

What do they have that puts them in a better situation than us?

And you quoted Chelsea, they started 2 players versus us(who played in the Championship last season) including a CB fit for mid-table in Zouma and other players who likely aren't up to the required standard. They lost a relatively proven manager during the summer and their clear cut best player in Hazard(arguably best player in the league). How are they in a much better situation than us? I see our situations as fairly similar.

fergiesarmy1

Our board haven't backed Ole. It's as simple as that. He has had to let a striker go without a replacement and because Ed is a cnut, he fecked over any small chance Ole had in keeping Herrera.

Gomes is great, but honestly blooding in kids who are by their very nature inconsistent in a team as patchy as ours is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately though, we have little choice. I just hope that Gomes and Greenwood especially, are mentally ready for such huge pressure and expectations.

I don't want to be misinterpreted though. I rate both (in fact, just yesterday I ordered the new away and third tops with their names and numbers on the back) but the clamour over them from the bunch of ungrateful cnuts that we have on the forums and social media is making me fear the worst. If they don't hit the ground running, the knives will be out from the bandwagon jumpers and the media. Which is a frankly preposterous situation for someone so young and inexperienced.
Well I admire your optimism by ordering youngster shirts over clowns buying pogba shirts when he is half way out the door :lol:

fps

Back him.

Plenty of chances to win the game today, better style of play, keep going like this and there'll be losses along the way but it's a better team playing better football.

evil_geko

I knew this thread would be embarrassing after first bad results, state of some of the posts here, bloody hell! :lol:

r0663664

Worships Man City
Ole may not last until the end of this season. Everything is wrong at this club and I can’t understand why. Players who care more about social media than their actual performance, players whose big headed, coaches who cannot improve the team and tactics, COE who refuse to back the transfer and take ages to close a transfer, owners who is out to squeeze every penny from this club. The manager will be sacrifice again. He will be made the scapegoat for our failure this season because of what is happening. No big manager will take this job, we will probably pluck someone in a 2 or 3 tier league who will jump at a chance of managing United.

Sterling Archer

We just have to give him time. There are still serious problems with the makeup of the squad, and while yes he is the manager he can't change all of that in one window, especially considering how useless our board seem to be at getting deals over the line for him. Honestly, would someone else come in and change things overnight? I'm not convinced.
Someone in the press conference thread noted that Ole hadn't watched our match against Palace from last season. Isn't that basic due diligence as a manager? I dismissed it at first but then the team selection and the set pieces...I really begin to wonder about preparedness.

ThinkTank@Cafe

He's going with what and who he knows. Which is absolutely fine in the early stages. The people going on like he will never change and is stubborn, are the same people who said he'd play Mata and Matic every game this season, or that he's a Glazer stooge because Ed didn't do his job and also decided to give contracts to the likes of Rojo, Jones, and Smalling. He's shown in his actions, that he knows where the issues are. If the board don't think the same, that's not on him.

Lingard isn't amazing or anything, but he does fulfill a vital function off the ball which creates the space for everyone else in the attack. He leads the press, and no one else is capable of doing it. It's not working out for him right now, but he's honest in his endeavour. In an ideal world, he'd be replaced and be squad player, but like I said in my last post, he's one of around three players in the first XI who are in by default.

Considering all the twats who were calling Ole a puppet and yes man have now suddenly latched on to Lingard's continued inclusion as proof of him not having a clue, then I suppose it's a positive.

Guaranteed the people who are wanting Angel in will be the same people laying into Angel when he inevitably has a poor game, which he will have, cos he's young. Notice how the crying over Greenwood on Monday suddenly stopped today? He came on for 40 mins today and was barely a factor.

Like I said in Gomes' thread, the amount of building up they are doing to someone so young (precociously talented yes, but still very young) is so extremely counterproductive, it could kill his career before it's even begun. The amount of expectations on both him and Greenwood are frankly scary. They are 17 and 18, ffs.
Great post!

A lot of sense. Though you will be dragged into endless disputes with people who just mastered a pretentious “wannabe modern-journo” jargon and know how to set up a team in FM. They don’t have any understanding of how a real life organization function. The don’t really SEE the games. The don’t see how players organize themselves and how they communicate. They watch the game but SEE only highlights. They just want results. They want to be like Man City NOW! because “we are the team of Man United caliber” or whatever. It is basically the only argument. I just gave up.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

You're moving the goal posts pal. Don't change the argument.

I'm not talking about the top 6 clubs.

I'm talking about the teams below it which you mentioned beforehand.

"All but the top 6 are clearly in a worse situation than us." I said this, but you said, "Ok, genius. Tell me, who has it worse in the top 7-8? This includes, Wolves, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, btw."

So yes. Let's talk about how fecking Leicester, Wolves and Everton are in a better situation than us. We're so much worse off than they are unknowingly to me somehow. How are they in a better situation than us?

What do they have that puts them in a better situation than us?

And you quoted Chelsea, they started 2 players versus us(who played in the Championship last season) including a CB fit for mid-table in Zouma and other players who likely aren't up to the required standard. They lost a relatively proven manager during the summer and their clear cut best player in Hazard(arguably best player in the league). How are they in a much better situation than us? I see our situations as fairly similar.
I didn't even mention the top 6 in my last post, so no idea where you got that from. If you must know, I was actually thinking of the likes of Leicester, Everton and Wolves when typing out that response. I even made mention of the top 7-8, which emphasises this.

The onus is on you to disprove my argument after I gave my reasons. I've literally typed them out twice, I'm not going to type it out for the third time because you're that dense that you can't even comprehend a basic argument.

Chelsea's players who aren't up to the required standard have been listed out by you as being the following:

Kurt Zouma

Wow, such an extensive list(!)

They also have two young starters who have a collective professional experience of over 5 seasons, across multiple leagues, including Holland and the Premier League.

And not to mention, they brought in Pulisic to replace their star player... Do you know who we bought to replace either our most consistent midfielder, or our most expensive striker?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Back him.

Plenty of chances to win the game today, better style of play, keep going like this and there'll be losses along the way but it's a better team playing better football.
The style of play was the same old rubbish

We are stylistically miles behind all of our rivals

Ole only knows how to counter

rotherham_red

Great post!

A lot of sense. Though you will be dragged into endless disputes with people who just mastered a pretentious “wannabe modern-journo” jargon and know how to set up a team in FM. They don’t have any understanding of how a real life organization function. The don’t really SEE the games. The don’t see how players organize themselves and how they communicate. They watch the game but SEE only highlights. They just want results. They want to be like Man City NOW! because “we are the team of Man United caliber” or whatever. It is basically the only argument. I just gave up.
They're fecking turncoats, the lot of them. No patience and no sense.

I bet 99% of them can't locate Manchester on a map, let alone go to Old Trafford on a match day. I couldn't give a flying feck if they wake up at 3am to watch us. I live with a physical disability and drive 400+ miles on a round trip from London every other week to support the team home and away which puts an awful lot of strain on my legs and my health, yet these precious cnuts have had enough(!)

Quite frankly, they can feck right off.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I bet 99% of them can't locate Manchester on a map, let alone go to Old Trafford on a match day. I couldn't give a flying feck if they wake up at 3am to watch us. I live with a physical disability and drive 400+ miles on a round trip from London every other week to support the team home and away which puts an awful lot of strain on my legs and my health, yet these precious cnuts have had enough(!)

Not being funny, but do you see signs of improvement? If so, perhaps you could elaborate, instead of calling people cnuts for having a different view to you. Interesting, actually, that OT booed at full time, so maybe the match goers agree with those disgruntled on the other side of the world. I sometimes feel people like you, who appear to bury their head under the sand, give the poor performers at this club an easy ride

Bojan11

We are quite clearly not doing much in training. Look at teams like City or Pool, every freekick, throw in and corner gets used to make a chance and score. Same for City, these things are well studied and drilled, it isnt a coincidence. These teams have done so much work on trying to score from every half chance and have multiple ways of playing it. The same with and without the ball, every player knows what to do in which situation and what his teamate will do. Well oiled machines in both directions.

Then you look at us. Completely clueless. Not just general in game, but from throw ins, freekicks and corners. We try the same stuff every single time and fail. We just throw it in there and hope someone puts his head in, while not getting the ball past the first man or let Rashford kick it somewhere. Just have the players be more fit and that will solve 90% of our issues. Our football is from 10 or 20 years ago, while other teams and managers moved on, we rely on individual quality and luck most of the time.
We play with no urgency. There’s no constant pressure or the opposition keeper is bombarded.

If we don’t score in the first 20 minutes we look clueless. Thankfully Zouma helped us out against Chelsea.

It’s all lax. Even when the ball was going out for a palace GK there was nobody there giving the ball to the cnut and tell him to hurry up.

Foxbatt

Absolutely wrong. Ole has not been able to get it right even with what he has. Even a blind man can see that. We are only set up for a counter attacking team because we have the pace up front. Our movements off the ball has been terrible. Our passing has been terrible. That is why we cannot break down teams. Most of our players do not know what to do when they do not have the ball. That is the biggest problem. It is not trying to play like City. We cannot as we do not seem to have the players. But our midfield is not that much weaker than Liverpool's. It is the way we play. Any decent player and they all are decent players we have should be able to know what to do when they do not have the ball and when a team mate has the ball.
Practice is what it gets the movement off the ball. We can blame Lindelof and Pogba and Rashford and Lingard till the crow comes home but without that coaching they are going to play off the cuff and these days you cannot play off the cuff and even Barca practices their movements.
Read Gary Neville's account of how Quiroz made them move and practice the movements off the ball without the ball being used at all. All great coaches do it. There is a reason why it is said that practice makes it perfect. Look at our set pieces. Look at how poor they are. It does not look like anything is being practised. Surely they should be able to take a near post corner for a flick with good headers like Maguire, Pogba, Scott, Martial and even Lindelof. But nothing. It is always the far post corner that goes way over the top or hit the first man.

haram

He's going with what and who he knows. Which is absolutely fine in the early stages. The people going on like he will never change and is stubborn, are the same people who said he'd play Mata and Matic every game this season, or that he's a Glazer stooge because Ed didn't do his job and also decided to give contracts to the likes of Rojo, Jones, and Smalling. He's shown in his actions, that he knows where the issues are. If the board don't think the same, that's not on him.

Lingard isn't amazing or anything, but he does fulfill a vital function off the ball which creates the space for everyone else in the attack. He leads the press, and no one else is capable of doing it. It's not working out for him right now, but he's honest in his endeavour. In an ideal world, he'd be replaced and be squad player, but like I said in my last post, he's one of around three players in the first XI who are in by default.

Considering all the twats who were calling Ole a puppet and yes man have now suddenly latched on to Lingard's continued inclusion as proof of him not having a clue, then I suppose it's a positive.

Guaranteed the people who are wanting Angel in will be the same people laying into Angel when he inevitably has a poor game, which he will have, cos he's young. Notice how the crying over Greenwood on Monday suddenly stopped today? He came on for 40 mins today and was barely a factor.

Like I said in Gomes' thread, the amount of building up they are doing to someone so young (precociously talented yes, but still very young) is so extremely counterproductive, it could kill his career before it's even begun. The amount of expectations on both him and Greenwood are frankly scary. They are 17 and 18, ffs.
You make some good points. I don't think he is a puppet, however I don’t think he is a good manager either.

Bojan11

Oh no nobody agrees with me, so I have to be top red about it.

Fact is there have been no signs of improvements.

Yes we sold players like Lukaku and Herrera. But yet it seemed it was Longstaff or nobody. The same with Sancho or nobody. We letting Sanchez go and paying most his wages to go. Surely that’s down to the manager? Why would we pay his wages to play for someone else when our squad is thin.

Ole seems to be obsessed with developing this British core when really we should be looking for the best young players regardless where they from.

The board have made ridiculous decisions like appointing Ole when there was no need for it. But Ole himself hasn’t helped himself either. Lingard will be the end of him. The guy has no talent besides running a lot. He was never good enough.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ole has no track record, has shown nothing in his time here that suggests he has the credentials and is frankly a puppet for an unambitious board. We are in an absolute state and anyone that says they see signs of improvement is being delusional or seeing what they want to see.

fergiesarmy1

Good post, watched it in a pub 10 miles from the ground. Packed out, not one person was giving ole shit.

Pogba got it, Lingard got, De Gea got it.

Mr. Meeseeks

I loathe posts like this. You are a Top Red. Congratulations.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Not being funny, but do you see signs of improvement? If so, perhaps you could elaborate, instead of calling people cnuts for having a different view to you. Interesting, actually, that OT booed at full time, so maybe the match goers agree with those disgruntled on the other side of the world. I sometimes feel people like you, who appear to bury their head under the sand, give the poor performers at this club an easy ride
Well said.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Back him.

I have never been fully convinced by Ole's tactical setup. We still look clueless trying to break down low blocks. He can also be slow to make changes during the matches. That said, he has had to deal with a lot since he came in. The club was broken and it's soul was empty after Mourinho. He has restored it's pride at least which felt like an impossible task.

I like that he is putting a lot of faith in our young team. That is definitely something i can get behind. I am over the moon that he has put Martial back in his rightful place up top. He has the right ideas surrounding bringing through the youth and the way he wants us to play. He never causes any drama in the press, always defending his players. He's a role model in that regard.

We always knew this season was going to be an uphill struggle in advance. We've lost 3 experienced CM's this year without replacing any. Lukaku has gone without a player of similar experience being brought in & it's looking like we will let Sanchez go without replacing him too. That's a lot of experience out of the door. The signings of AWB & Maguire were exciting but they are never going to be enough by themselves. Dealing with the Glazers, he is working with one hand tied behind his back in this regard. If anyone is to be blamed, it will be them and Woodward.

If he can blood the youth this season, then have an exciting summer window, i'll be happy. I believe in him.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

Great post!

Great posts! I've talked about this in other threads, but these "fans" can't seem to understand there was always going to be some growing pains after the years we've had with LVG and Jose. They just seem to want instant success, win every game 5-0, sign every big player under the sun and so on and so forth ignoring all the signs of clear progress we are making. Basically, they want to support City and given enough time most of these lot will jump ship. And these are the same lot who will be more than happy if our club is bought up by the oil money. It will be painful, but I'd deal with United lingering in mediocrity for a decade more just so these "fanatics" can go find another club.

owlo

Sack. Total shambles.

He's not 'putting faith' in the youngsters. He's hanging them out to dry.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Give Ole another Summer window (unless this season is a disaster). The players he's brought in have done well so far but there's so much to fix, we didn't even touch the midfield or attack this window which is more an issue with Ed than it is with Ole.

What Ole does need to do however is show a bit more faith in our youngsters because at this point, they can't do much worse than our shite in midfield/attack. Hopefully we'll see that between now and December.

Foxbatt

I see no progress at the way we play. We have tried for three years to play Pogba in a two man midfield and every Tom, Dick and Jose knows it has failed yet we try the same thing with McTominay of all people. SAF did try various combinations and even played Park, Rafael, Phil Neville and O' Shea in the middle. Yet it is always the same with Ole. If it does not work, ( we see it is not working) then he should have got even Jones or Lindelof to play in midfield and get Smalling at CB?

owlo

Explain please
I've been saying similar since the window, and I think it's a fairly unpopular view here, but essentially he's relying on the kids to win games and dig the club out of holes, as opposed to giving them opportunities within a functional squad to learn their trade.

Our squad is so paper thin in midfield and forward areas, that these youngsters are necessary for its functionality. [I'm not including Martial or Rashford in this statement, but am including James and McTominay].

This alongside a plethora of other young players who are more established and probably not a huge calming influence.

The pressure of playing for the club and starting the career is huge enough already; why add more by expecting them to win you games? Look at how scholes/giggs/beckham were introduced. It was nothing like this.

Mainoldo

Coaching letting United down again. I’m on the boards back because they can’t make an fennin right decision.

Mr. Meeseeks

Backing united is now top red?

What is a hundred times worse is people backing players over the club.
No backing the club doesn’t make you a Top Red, but dismissing other fans just because you go to games does.

Going to games doesn’t give you the right to automatically dismiss other fans. Some of us have never missed a match, but bear the misfortune of being born on another continent. It doesn’t make our opinions worthless. And it doesn’t make us ‘turncoats’ just because some of us are talking about things that are clearly wrong with the club.

Proximity to Old Trafford does not mean that you are right about everything to do with the club. And it doesn’t give you the right to dismiss other fans’ opinions.

Arguements should stand on their own merit. Supporting your arguement by dismissing everyone who doesn’t go to games is the definition of being a Top Red.

I respect that local fans provide vital financial support to the club. But when local fans turn on other fans, it is the club that ultimately suffers.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I've been saying similar since the window, and I think it's a fairly unpopular view here, but essentially he's relying on the kids to win games and dig the club out of holes, as opposed to giving them opportunities within a functional squad to learn their trade.

Our squad is so paper thin in midfield and forward areas, that these youngsters are necessary for its functionality. [I'm not including Martial or Rashford in this statement, but am including James and McTominay].

This alongside a plethora of other young players who are more established and probably not a huge calming influence.

The pressure of playing for the club and starting the career is huge enough already; why add more by expecting them to win you games? Look at how scholes/giggs/beckham were introduced. It was nothing like this.
You have got it all wrong. That's because we are dealing with the Glazers here. It's not by design and it's certainly not ideal. He's not an idiot. I'm sure Ole would love to have an experienced backbone to be able to blood the youth slowly. But he simply hasn't got a choice.

Do you realise we have let Fellaini & Herrera leave whilst Matic's legs have gone this year alone, with no replacements? That's 3 experienced pro's gone. That's why McTominay is starting every week for us.

We have let Lukaku leave without a replacement. Sanchez is awol. That's why Greenwood and James are in the squad every week.

The Glazers have a long history of this. How long have we been crying out for a RB, CB, or RW to be bought? They would rather renew the dross we have than shell out on new signings. Why do you think we converted Valencia & Young to RB to begin with? Or carried on with Smalling and Jones at CB for years? Or made do with Mata on the RW for who knows how many years before this one too?

Do you really think the Glazers freed up potential funds this summer for an experienced centre-mid or attacker, but Ole is there going ''Naa, i'd rather make do with these kids thanks.'' Come on now.

To lay the blame at Ole's feet is frankly absurd.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Absolutely wrong. Ole has not been able to get it right even with what he has. Even a blind man can see that. We are only set up for a counter attacking team because we have the pace up front. Our movements off the ball has been terrible. Our passing has been terrible. That is why we cannot break down teams. Most of our players do not know what to do when they do not have the ball. That is the biggest problem. It is not trying to play like City. We cannot as we do not seem to have the players. But our midfield is not that much weaker than Liverpool's. It is the way we play. Any decent player and they all are decent players we have should be able to know what to do when they do not have the ball and when a team mate has the ball.
Practice is what it gets the movement off the ball. We can blame Lindelof and Pogba and Rashford and Lingard till the crow comes home but without that coaching they are going to play off the cuff and these days you cannot play off the cuff and even Barca practices their movements.
Read Gary Neville's account of how Quiroz made them move and practice the movements off the ball without the ball being used at all. All great coaches do it. There is a reason why it is said that practice makes it perfect. Look at our set pieces. Look at how poor they are. It does not look like anything is being practised. Surely they should be able to take a near post corner for a flick with good headers like Maguire, Pogba, Scott, Martial and even Lindelof. But nothing. It is always the far post corner that goes way over the top or hit the first man.
Bringing issues for discussion in your manner is different from just whining and insulting Ole and the team. Everyone has a right to share his/her concerns. Unfortunately, too many of the Caf members use the forum for just dumping their rage after they don’t get what they want. Too few insightful discussions.

The first issue you mention is our final third performance. It’s a valid point. I mean the problem exists. However, in my view, it’s premature to criticize Ole for that. Fast and precise passing with a lot of movement requires a lot of time and ideal team balance. We can hope to get the first this season and fix the second in the next window (a lot will depend on availability of quality players next summer).

Guardiola’s and Klopp’s teams in their first season in EPL neither were impressive in that aspect. They were not sacked after pretty mediocre performances and were trusted to rebuild the squads. Both of them invested a lot in defense. We should compare Ole today at least to Guardiola and Klopp in August 2016. Klopp is a better benchmark because Pep got a far better team (he always smartly picks the clubs to get an easier task). I personally admire Klopp as a person and a coach.

As for Neville’s remarks: the last man who took Queiroz’ job under SAF was Mike Phelan. I doubt that Fergie hired a bad AM who couldn’t coach movement. Mike was seen by SAF as a competent replacement and the team performed well enough to get the PL trophy.

RooneyLegend

Let’s say we sack him and bring a new manager in. Then what? Because I can tell you now, we’re not going to back any manager to the level that’s needed. Moyes didn’t get backed, LVG didn’t get backed, Jose didn’t get backed, and now Ole isn’t either. And you can point and Jose spending x amount or whatever, but when he identified a defender needed, the club said no. Anyone who thinks a new manager can come in a get a tune out of these players is living in cloud cuckoo land. History will repeat itself until we back a manager to the level required.
No manager in football history has gotten everything they wanted. Not even Pep who coaches a team with a bottomless pit. All those blokes have been backed but all they've done is waste the clubs resources. At this point Pool isnt outspending us yet have a side significantly better than us. Spurs are barely spending and are better than us.

At some point you have to realise that the men we have in charge are the wrong ones and have cost us alot over the past half a decade.

Think about how many clubs have spend more money than us in the last 6 years and then think about how many clubs are better than us...its ridiculous. Unless we become more resourceful we are going to keep going around in circles.

We need a great coach, its that simple. Without that our money is rather useless. Had we hired Klopp years ago we'd basically be where Pool are now. Trudging along with mediocrity like Ole is doing us no favours at all.

croadyman

I feel for Ole but he looks way in over his head right now, he just doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to change round a game when it is going against us

WireMUFC

Ole picked the team that completely out played Wolves, what more can the man do? Down to the players today and the absolute fraud of a referee.

wr8_utd

:'(
Always felt like he'll be gone by Christmas at the latest and nothing I've watched has changed my view. Our transfer window was shambolic, going into the season with Rashford and Lingard as first choice starters is hilariously bad for a club that's spent half a billion in recent years. To top it all off not even paying the 80-100m for Eriksen/40m for Dybala's image rights is going to hurt us because they bring the sort of creativity and flair we've been crying out for. We've managed to weaken both our attack and midfield and we're expecting better results from a manager who couldn't get us to beat the likes of Cardiff at home?

mu4c_20le

We need a great coach, its that simple. Without that our money is rather useless. Had we hired Klopp years ago we'd basically be where Pool are now. Trudging along with mediocrity like Ole is doing us no favours at all.
Yeahhh.... no..

Status
Not open for further replies.