Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilRed

Its clear to me that we need to back OGS. Even if this season ends up outside the top 4.

We need to stick to the plan. A strategy in which we are looking to play aggressive attacking football on the front foot. So far his new signings have been on point. One could argue that Dan James is currently our best performing attacker, despite playing most of the time out of position on the right wing.

OGS needs time to rebuild/gel the squad. Thats not going to take 6 months. It might not even take a year. It might take 3-4. Just look at some of the other teams who are now at the top.

Stepney73

And that is the difference between Real Madrid and Man United. One club has high standards and will not tolerate mediocrity all the way from the board to the coach(ex players included), players etc.. while the other keeps lingering in idealistic garbage like playing youth, the United way, Academy product and British core which perpetuates players like Lingard, Young, Smalling, Jones who should have been binned 5 years ago.

At least with Real Madrid, you know what you in for when you belong to that family and a single season failure is seen as a taboo and immediately rectified like it was this summer while we keep swallowing the 'Transition' opium with no end in sight from our board and manager.

That's 100% down to the people at the top.

RM top brass are fans themselves that want that club to be the best on the planet no matter what it costs plus failure is not tolerated.

I bet only one or two of the 6 glazers could name more the 3 players in our squad and wouldn't know OGS if they fell over him.they also couldn't give 2 fooks where we finish as long as the money keeps rolling in.

As said all this Utd way is bollocks and just an excuse for doing it cheaper as we always used to be in for the best players available at the time.

At the end of the day 14 years of the glazers has seen us go from an elite club to a mid table club where 4th is our holy grail plus there has been no investment in the stadium despit maximum revenue streams.

LUHG

Matt.H

Let’s not follow footsteps of AC Milan by appointing and keeping faith in club legends without considerable achievement as club manager. I really hope this endless tunnel of shitshow in post SAF era comes to an end very soon.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Its clear to me that we need to back OGS. Even if this season ends up outside the top 4.

We need to stick to the plan. A strategy in which we are looking to play aggressive attacking football on the front foot. So far his new signings have been on point. One could argue that Dan James is currently our best performing attacker, despite playing most of the time out of position on the right wing.

OGS needs time to rebuild/gel the squad. Thats not going to take 6 months. It might not even take a year. It might take 3-4. Just look at some of the other teams who are now at the top.
Liverpool and City did not get to the top because of giving it to some rookie. I am afraid we do not have 3-4 years of staying patient with someone who might just not be up to the task.

And while I agree that his signings look solid so far it is far too early. Maguire has to play a top top season to justify his price tag and AWB and James show potential but are far from the finish products and it will show if they rise to the top or disappear in mediocrity.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not gonna put this one on him really. When VAR ignores a blatant red for them and a blatant pen, and then the one you do get gets missed by the player, when players slip on one v one's with the keeper, when your team is undone by a goalkick and your CB not winning a routine header, and then your goalkeeper drops a clanger in the 93rd minute right after you equalized finally... How can anyone put that on the manager? "One of those days" where nothing at all goes right, even though the performance itself wasn't awful. Just big feck ups at the wrong moments.
This. 4 points from 9 is not a good start to the season, but them scoring two goals from a goal kick and a half chance while the ref is doing everything in his power to feck us over cant be blamed on the manager.

Ole does not deserve undying loyalty, but anyone who wants to sack him now should maybe feck off and support another club

Slysi17

The reason that Ole will be sacked is this stupid obsession with only buying British players. If he keeps with this strategy, we will just have a bang average team.

DevilRed

We need to stick with him for at least another 2-3 years. He clearly has a plan and strategy that he wants to implement, which is aggressive attacking football.

The signings he was allowed to make this summer have all been very good. Even Daniel James has surprised most and despite playing very little in his favored left wing position, has already given us more of a consistent impact in attack than almost any other player.

Its funny to say but I just feel like OGS is lacking that little bit of luck. Something he had in abundance as a player! Those two missed penalties really changed the whole outlook of the last two matches.

We need to give him time to work with these players and continue to improve them.

I feel like we are definitely a better team this season. Just lacking that little bit of cutting edge to give us a goal that would change our results.

Slysi17

Hmmm. Could be. If anything, Ole appears more old school than progressive to me. The focus appears to be on British, winning/strong mentality, running, physicality, rapid attack (counter attack with little possession retention). And it's evidenced by the players he starts and signs.

It's a shame if that's the case as we all wanted the other type of coach.
This obsession with buying British is just stupid. Liverpool didn't become good by buying only British. If Ole's strategy is buying just British and he won't change that strategy, then he should be sacked. Manchester United will fall out of the top six if we keep Ole.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

He hasn’t shown anything warranting 4 years.
Look at fecking Lampard at Chelsea - yes they make lots of mistakes but from game 1 you can clearly see what the manager wants from his players and they do it. Very high pressing, quick passing and movement.

What are we doing? It’s only game 3 and we’re back to “no zip”, players not moving forward, excuses already.
We STILL look the most outdated side in the PL bar the likes of Newcastle.

Why is this not OGS’s fault? He had half a season AND a pre-season.
If this is the best he can do, if this is the level he can get out of these players then he’s another part of the problem, not a solution. And I’m not surprised. Everything the Glazer plague touches turns to shite.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You’re talking about a patronising tone having called people cnuts in your original post :lol:

I’m not moving the goalposts - the manager is not good enough, the players are overrated and the board is inept. Blame must be equally apportioned.

If you go to the matches every week and think everything is fine and dandy then good on you.
Think the board are the main culprits. It starts with them, they employ the managers. If it is the wrong manager then the blame is at their door. They have spent loads of money but have nobody at board level who has the knowledge to know if the purchases are wise or not. The stupid contracts they have handed out to average or past it players. The list goes on. We now have an under-qualified manager with mainly an inexperienced coaching staff bar Phelan. Unfortunately it was always going to be risky, the initial goodwill period could only last so long. A number of these players have somehow managed to still be here through the reign of a number of managers. I really don't know have they have achieved that.

JustAGuest

The problems at the club of course run deeper than the manager. I very much suspect that if he's replaced, as many wish, we will by all likelihood face the exact same scenario once again with his replacement.

Renegade

Back him by default. Was never the right appointment but it would be too disruptive right now to sack him. I’d love to know if he was genuinely happy with the transfer window because bringing in no forwards or midfielders was true negligence.

JustAGuest

Can someone look at this graphic and tell me why you think we didn't break palace down? Most of the shots were taken within the dbox which means we were already in. Today we were let down by finishing which is totally different from we did not break them down.

Seems this post has gone largely ignored. Objectively speaking, there are more than enough good shot locations to comfortably win the game.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The problems at the club of course run deeper than the manager. I very much suspect that if he's replaced, as many wish, we will by all likelihood face the exact same scenario once again with his replacement.
Naturally. Those who put him in charge will make the next appointment. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel until they’re gone too. In the meantime, any decent manager will only destroy his reputation by coming to us. To be clear, Solskjaer is not a decent manager. He was a glorified club mascot who had a good run before the spell wore off.

Al Capone

I don't think anyone wants the manager replaced.

We want to see the playing/passing with pace he promised to instil. We were so slow moving the ball around it was so easy for Palace to be in position to repel out attacks.

Nothing creative that can unlock Palace doesn't bode well for the future and unless it changes the pressure will only increase and lead to fans calling for him to be replaced.

I don't think thats the answer but he's got to get the team playing with more urgency and creativity when he have so much of the posession. The cteativity part will be difficult as we don't have enoigh of them type of players.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't think anyone wants the manager replaced.

We want to see the playing/passing with pace he promised to instil. We were so slow moving the ball around it was so easy for Palace to be in position to repel out attacks.

Nothing creative that can unlock Palace doesn't bode well for the future and unless it changes the pressure will only increase and lead to fans calling for him to be replaced.

I don't think thats the answer but he's got to get the team playing with more urgency and creativity when he have so much of the posession. The cteativity part will be difficult as we don't have enoigh of them type of players.
It's part of the manager's job to create attacking patterns which open up opposition. Is Ole doing enough of this?

Greck

We don't have the players but there's this nagging feeling he's compounding the problem with a preference for British workhorses. James isn't that player and Lingard in the hole only exacerbates the problem. And for all his redeeming qualities AWB was atrocious with the ball yesterday. This place will get progressively impatient with this flaw as time goes on

Castia

He hasn’t shown anything warranting 4 years.
Look at fecking Lampard at Chelsea - yes they make lots of mistakes but from game 1 you can clearly see what the manager wants from his players and they do it. Very high pressing, quick passing and movement.

What are we doing? It’s only game 3 and we’re back to “no zip”, players not moving forward, excuses already.
We STILL look the most outdated side in the PL bar the likes of Newcastle.

Why is this not OGS’s fault? He had half a season AND a pre-season.
If this is the best he can do, if this is the level he can get out of these players then he’s another part of the problem, not a solution. And I’m not surprised. Everything the Glazer plague touches turns to shite.

:lol:

Lampard???

You can’t be serious his Chelsea side is fecking all over the place. Believe me Chelsea have a few 4-0 beatings coming their way this season and United will finish above them.

In his 3 games they were battered by us, Leicester should have put 4 past them in the second half alone and yesterday at Norwich looked like a contest to see who had the worst defence in the league.

reddevil1510

He needs to go. The problems which he was supposed to address and talks about frequently wanting to solve are still there.

1. Absolutely no coordination on the pitch. Maguire asking Lindelof to take a free kick; just giving the ball to James and Rashford and asking them to run in the hope of getting something seems to be the only way
2. The players were supposed to get physically fitter. Shaw out to what looks like a hamstring problem. Not sure what was the problem with Martial.
3. The de gea situation. It is well documented that Ole wants him on a new deal when he was making bucket load of mistakes last season end and cost us a point yesterday. Does he not see these things in training to decide if a player needs to be replaced or should be given a new deal?
4. The Sanchez situation. How can he be fine with letting Sanchez go when we have not replaced Lukaku? He should be finding solutions where we can have some use for him given our lack of options in forward areas.

Al Capone

It's part of the manager's job to create attacking patterns which open up opposition. Is Ole doing enough of this?
I think he's trying to. I honesty don't think we have the personnel to solve the creativity part as we need a few additions here.

However, the passing and moving the ball around with pace should be a given for all top level pros. That's something that can't be defended. Whether that is a manager instruction or player ineptitude is a conundrum. We just aimlessly passed the ball around in first gear yesterday.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
:lol:

Lampard???

You can’t be serious his Chelsea side is fecking all over the place. Believe me Chelsea have a few 4-0 beatings coming their way this season and United will finish above them.

In his 3 games they were battered by us, Leicester should have put 4 past them in the second half alone and yesterday at Norwich looked like a contest to see who had the worst defence in the league.
He is fecking right. Chelsea for all their flaws have shown enough quality and some semblance of coordinated playing patterns. They don't have clinical forwards and we should thank the transfer ban they had otherwise we wouldn't be competing with them after some time. They have shown that they can play quality football and it's really a matter of time before they steady the ship.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
City should have sacked Pep after losing 3-2 to Palace at home last season.

Halal Jalal

Ole is a good person and I love to see him involved with the club. He should be in some PR position, like Nedved at Juventus. "Vice president" or whatever made-up role, so that he can look stylish on camera and say the carefully prepared and rehearsed phrases the fans want to hear. His press conferences are great, but that's pretty much the extent of his qualities.

We need an actual manager with philosophy, intelligence, experience and tactical know-how to fix this club.

Treble

The question in the OP made sense in May, not now. It would be ridiculous to sack Ole after 3-4 games. If we lose 3 from the next 5 games, then the question will become relevant again but I expect that Ole will be our manager till next summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am between two minds, I still don't know what to think about Ole which is always a bad thing from my point of view but at the same I don't rate the team and believe that Mourinho did a terrible job when it comes to strengthen the team through transfers. So I don't and didn't expect Ole to fix the team quickly regardless of his own abilities, our lack of creativity is almost criminal and Ole isn't responsible for the lack of raw material in that department, it's on the club and the previous managers.

Eddy_JukeZ

The question in the OP made sense in May, not now. It would be ridiculous to sack Ole after 3-4 games. If we lose 3 from the next 5 games, then the question will become relevant again but I expect that Ole will be our manager till next summer.
Yeah unless we completely go off the rails, Ole should get the full season.

Then we assess at the end.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've been saying similar since the window, and I think it's a fairly unpopular view here, but essentially he's relying on the kids to win games and dig the club out of holes, as opposed to giving them opportunities within a functional squad to learn their trade.

Our squad is so paper thin in midfield and forward areas, that these youngsters are necessary for its functionality. [I'm not including Martial or Rashford in this statement, but am including James and McTominay].

This alongside a plethora of other young players who are more established and probably not a huge calming influence.

The pressure of playing for the club and starting the career is huge enough already; why add more by expecting them to win you games? Look at how scholes/giggs/beckham were introduced. It was nothing like this.
You realise it's going to take time for us to have a functional squad and by that time these young players may have forced moves away by then don't you?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I am all for persevering with Solskjaer at this point as I like how he’s trying to get us playing and I believe we just need to be patient as the improvement is evident, however, there’s one element of his management that infuriates me and that’s his favouritism towards certain players (Lingard, Young, Rashford etc). No matter how gash they are playing, they continually get chance after chance, whereas others have been cast aside after many less opportunities.

Lingard has no business being a starter in attacking midfield with the form he’s showing and possessing zero creative threat, yet he’s picked every week whilst better players fail to see game-time. Rashford continually plays 90 minutes but his performances suggest that should not be the case.

Sort it out, Ole, as this is a sure-fire way to lose the dressing-room. Players crave consistency and just treatment when it comes to selecting the team and so far in your tenure, we’ve seen this to be far from the case.

Ban

I see no progress at the way we play. We have tried for three years to play Pogba in a two man midfield and every Tom, Dick and Jose knows it has failed yet we try the same thing with McTominay of all people. SAF did try various combinations and even played Park, Rafael, Phil Neville and O' Shea in the middle. Yet it is always the same with Ole. If it does not work, ( we see it is not working) then he should have got even Jones or Lindelof to play in midfield and get Smalling at CB?
Sure that would surely work.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
I am all for persevering with Solskjaer at this point as I like how he’s trying to get us playing and I believe we just need to be patient as the improvement is evident, however, there’s one element of his management that infuriates me and that’s his favouritism towards certain players (Lingard, Young, Rashford etc). No matter how gash they are playing, they continually get chance after chance, whereas others have been cast aside after many less opportunities.

Lingard has no business being a starter in attacking midfield with the form he’s showing and possessing zero creative threat, yet he’s picked every week whilst better players fail to see game-time. Rashford continually plays 90 minutes but his performances suggest that should not be the case.

Sort it out, Ole, as this is a sure-fire way to lose the dressing-room. Players crave consistency and just treatment when it comes to selecting the team and so far in your tenure, we’ve seen this to be far from the case.
I really wonder what some posters see in the supposed Ole style? He doesn’t have a plan B and his plan A is counter attack, run and pashun.

No creativity, we don’t know what to do with the ball, there isn’t even a plan on the basics like who takes set pieces. Not good enough defensive shape, players doesn’t know their responsibilities.

So far tactically this is the worst manager I’ve seen at United - including Moyes and that says something.

Enigma_87

You know who
City should have sacked Pep after losing 3-2 to Palace at home last season.
Yeah we can fall back on Ole’s past feats like winning the title in Bundesliga and La Liga and multiple CL titles to turn it around. Oh, wait..

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Of course we back him.

We’ve got a very young side at the moment and we’re trying to play the right way. Of course there’s going to be inconsistency but we could have won today had we been given the penalties we deserved and finished them off.

That’s not Ole’s fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.