Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

I agree he shouldn't persist with Lingard. But if he gives more minutes to Gomes who is young and that doesn't work, what then?

He has his hands tied.

Enigma_87

You know who
The championship winger who is young, has scored two in three and, in the days of massively inflated prices, looks to be a bargain?

We don't know the dressing room balance. He might be an essential calm experienced head amongst a bunch of young kids who are at risk of losing themselves up their own backsides.

What choice does he have? You want to look at recruitment? See below.

What's the common theme since the Glazers took over? Yet you're happy to pin this on Ole? It's clear Woodward is the yes man desperate to keep his own position of power; the more money he makes for the Glazers, the better his position.

Or would you rather continue scapegoating the incumbent manager rather than point the finger at the actual people at fault?

See above.

Mind boggling how fans are so quick to jump on yet another manager so quickly. Who are the common themes since SAF retired? They certainly aren't the manager.
Read up my reply on James. He was good as an example to showcase the state of our attack and compared to other rivals.

Young has no place in our team he’s shite and was our worst player last year.

When the manager says he’s happy with the squad and when he says we will rely on inexperienced youngsters to carry out the season and when he says that we are ready then he is the first to take the blame. That’s how things work at every club.

If you are shit at your job you are off it’s simple as that. Why the club should carry yet another incompetent manager?

If you know things will get worse because clearly he isn’t up to standard you take actions or it will continue to get worse if you don’t do nothing.

I said it at the end of last season - if we sacked him on the spot we wouldn’t have had that shambles of Brexit window and another failed season.

Taking no action when it matters gets you there.

Ban

He is fecking right. Chelsea for all their flaws have shown enough quality and some semblance of coordinated playing patterns. They don't have clinical forwards and we should thank the transfer ban they had otherwise we wouldn't be competing with them after some time. They have shown that they can play quality football and it's really a matter of time before they steady the ship.
Thats not a matter of time. Maybe they will be like that the whole season.

abailey123

My take on this is I believe people have been out for Oles head since day one, we should have brought in Poch, he’s only managed Molde.

If you look at us in comparison to last season we’re light years ahead. We played Palace at home last year and for 80 minutes I was trying the get phone signal to go on the internet as we where flat, boring and toothless.

Oles style is clear - he wants us to play on the front foot, press from the front and in big games have a threat on the counter.
We’re so unfortunate to not be 9/9 points this season. 2 missed penalties, 2 individual errors and a worldie have seen us drop points.

This is a 2/3 year project - I honestly feel as though Ole is the right man to lead us through this

Last edited by a moderator:

red4ever 79

We need to stick with him for at least another 2-3 years. He clearly has a plan and strategy that he wants to implement, which is aggressive attacking football.

The signings he was allowed to make this summer have all been very good. Even Daniel James has surprised most and despite playing very little in his favored left wing position, has already given us more of a consistent impact in attack than almost any other player.

Its funny to say but I just feel like OGS is lacking that little bit of luck. Something he had in abundance as a player! Those two missed penalties really changed the whole outlook of the last two matches.

We need to give him time to work with these players and continue to improve them.

I feel like we are definitely a better team this season. Just lacking that little bit of cutting edge to give us a goal that would change our results.
Luck goes in spades. Chelsea hit the woodwork twice against us in the first match and we could have lost that. You make your own luck. If we have players that cannot take penalties or freekicks or even corners properly then we are going to struggle this season as we have zero creativity coming from the middle or out wide.

Enigma_87

You know who
So sack him because he makes good signings ? How about letting him make some more good signings...promote youth, and if that still doesn't work - then we sack him With a lot better players ?
Sure. Promote him to the technical staff, make him a scout or part of the recruiting, but remove him from the manager position.

Those ‘lot better players’ might not be useful for the next manager who actually has an imprint and plan rather than pashun, run a lot, counter attack and Rashy.

Ban

Sack him. His signings has been good.
But he's in game management and tactics is shocking.
We won't get top 6 with this guy. Leicester is currently a better team.
Leicester being a better team isn't his fault, I mean having better players, if that's even true.

Omahahaha

I am really curious to know his real thoughts about this transfer window.
I get that he can't really do a Mourinho and start complaining in his first window, but not replacing
our outgoing players (and having to rely on Lingard as a starter) just screams negligence from the board.

If his only target we missed out on was Longstaff, I worry about his sanity.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The comparisons with Chelsea are absurd. They haven't been a club in crisis for 6 years; a trophy average over the last 5/6 years including PL titles and a Europa, quality internationals including a world class forward.

They've gone into the season with a hell of a lot more experience than us. Their young players have had a season or two in the Championship, while we're chucking in Greenwood with relatively none at even that level.Even their manager had the benefit of building a team implementing his own tactics. You could see with Derby last year what he was trying to achieve and he had a season to do it.

Ole? Well the tactic seems to be old fashioned. Here's the ball, go and play...oh and if things go wrong...sort it yourself

Enigma_87

You know who
I agree he shouldn't persist with Lingard. But if he gives more minutes to Gomes who is young and that doesn't work, what then?

He has his hands tied.
His hands are tied because he put himself in that position in the transfer window.

Failing to address key areas on the pitch and pushing your senior striker at deadline day doesn’t help.

Enough excuses already. 3 wins out of 15 gets any manager sacked - he should make no exemption.

Mcking

Surely this thread deserves a poll?
Perhaps when it was originally created. Adding a poll now would just be asking for more one-sided knee-jerk reactions. We've already committed to Solskjaer as our man, and he requested for two to three years. We are just three games into the first year, so I think it's better to see how the team develops with more games before considering sacking or giving him more backing.

rotherham_red

You’re talking about a patronising tone having called people cnuts in your original post :lol:

I’m not moving the goalposts - the manager is not good enough, the players are overrated and the board is inept. Blame must be equally apportioned.

If you go to the matches every week and think everything is fine and dandy then good on you.
I'd say calling people cnuts is the polar opposite of patronising. If English isn't your first language then fair enough.

Then why mention the crowd booing if it wasn't about Ole? We're in the Ole thread, and I was talking specifically about the lack of support Ole receives... Definitely sounds like a backtrack after I dismantled a shitty argument, from my vantage point.

Hope you to continue to wallow in self pity because we aren't amazing. Cos heaven forbid you support the team through thick and thin... See, I can do patronising too ;)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We need to not make knee jerk reaction. Our recent results have been poor but we should to just focus on ourselves. We should have beat Wolves away. We were bit unlucky yesterday. The most important thing is to get back to winning ways

Wilt

Perhaps when it was originally created. Adding a poll now would just be asking for more one-sided knee-jerk reactions. We've already committed to Solskjaer as our man, and he requested for two to three years. We are just three games into the first year, so I think it's better to see how the team develops with more games before considering sacking or giving him more backing.
Actually I do agree, but it would be interesting to see how a poll ebbed and flowed from game to game, given nobody knows what the game will produce :houllier:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I mean, talk about the head being buried in sand.

3 in 15. Try to look at the bigger picture.
Poch 4 in 14 with a better team. That's the bigger picture.

People are too focused on City and Liverpool when the fact is that this squad that we have is closer to Everton and Leicester standard. These are the type of results those teams get, whoever they have in charge.

Mainoldo

Having slept on it. I’m confused yet again to how we lose to arguably the worst team in the league yet again. Be it at home. I mean Norwich looked like they are coached better than us.

dove

Poch 4 in 14 with a better team. That's the bigger picture.

People are too focused on City and Liverpool when the fact is that this squad that we have is closer to Everton and Leicester standard. These are the type of results those teams get, whoever they have in charge.
Complete nonsense. Our squad is good enough to push for 3rd together with Spurs. However due to having a clearly not good enough manager will mean we will fight for 6th. Every time the camera focuses on Ole he just looks like he is just enjoying his best seat at the stadium. Every time we play shit, he comes up with "Everyone played really well today" in his interviews. He is not someone to take us anywhere near we want to be, the sooner people realise the better.

SuperiorXI

One thing was certain last night: Palace were going to defend deep and hit us on the break.

We opted to play three pace merchants behind the striker, not known for their defense splitting passes.

Pogba seemed to be further back, even though he is by far our most creative player.

I didn't think we setup in the correct way against our opponent. There's always a best XI on paper but you need to play to your opponents weaknesses. The annoying thing is we did the exact same vs Wolves...

buckooo1978

should have fought for more additions..... as many said in the agitate thread over the summer

we've no real injuries, still have a lack of quality on the pitch and still have few options on the bench especially in an attacking sense

January needs to be productive for Ole's sake

SuperiorXI

I've got doubts but he hasn't been backed, there's too many holes in the squad... the greatest of managers would struggle with these lot, especially in this league.

AaronRedDevil

Would be stupid to sack him. Hes the man to make us better. Just he needs more players. I know we've said that every year but this takes the cake. We seriously have 11 solid players and no good backups. 1 gets injured, everything goes wrong. I still believe he can take us forward. Top 4 is just unrealistic unless rashford and martial start being like Dwight and Cole. Plus there isn't a worthy manger available maybe till next summer.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Complete nonsense. Our squad is good enough to push for 3rd together with Spurs. However due to having a clearly not good enough manager will mean we will fight for 6th. Every time the camera focuses on Ole he just looks like he is just enjoying his best seat at the stadium. Every time we play shit, he comes up with "Everyone played really well today" in his interviews. He is not someone to take us anywhere near we want to be, the sooner people realise the better.
This is the problem, too many seem to be in an alternate reality where our midfield and attack options are as good as Spurs.

dove

This is the problem, too many seem to be in an alternate reality where our midfield and attack options are as good as Spurs.
Bigger problem IMO is having a manager who has no idea what he is doing here.

Enigma_87

You know who
One thing was certain last night: Palace were going to defend deep and hit us on the break.

We opted to play three pace merchants behind the striker, not known for their defense splitting passes.

Pogba seemed to be further back, even though he is by far our most creative player.

I didn't think we setup in the correct way against our opponent. There's always a best XI on paper but you need to play to your opponents weaknesses. The annoying thing is we did the exact same vs Wolves...
If only we could anticipate that like watch the same fixture last year under the same manager. We could’ve prepared better.

Infra-red

You cannot sack the manager in August.

May/June was the time for action. Now we have to sit it out. Let's see where we are come December.

TrueRed79

Our problems run deeper than Ole. The fact of the matter is that we don't have any elite coaches. Ole isn't one, Carrick isn't one and Phelan isn't one. Combine that with an average group of players and you get what we have, shite. Nothing will change unless Woodward is removed from his role and the Glazers get the feck out of Manchester. It's really that simple.

gr3yham3

I don't think the board backed him enough this summer. We could see that he wanted one of Bruno, Dybala or Eriksen in to provide more creativity and goal threat, rather than have Lingard running aimlessly around in arguably the most important position in a 4231. While I understand that Dybala and Eriksen's demands could have been steep, I think we should have just stuck to it and pushed one of the deals through. The Bruno excuse of "low passing percentage" feels like an excuse for not being able to get a "reasonable fee" with Sporting. The signing of Maguire also took way too long and we did not even pay a much lower price than Leicester's initial demands. Board has failed once again.

Castia

He is fecking right. Chelsea for all their flaws have shown enough quality and some semblance of coordinated playing patterns. They don't have clinical forwards and we should thank the transfer ban they had otherwise we wouldn't be competing with them after some time. They have shown that they can play quality football and it's really a matter of time before they steady the ship.

They have shown quality football? no they haven't at all. They look a mess.

We put 4 past them 2 weeks ago and we're having a debate on how well Chelsea are doing?

This forum is reaching new levels of stupidity. I've watched all 3 Chelsea league games, if they carry on in their current style they will finish about 10th this season, they cannot defend as a unit, every time the opposition enter the Chelsea half it looks like they have a chance of scoring.

JK-27

We can't sack Ole yet, but what was telling was that it was clear the team needed players in attack with more experience of dealing with a team that sit deep. Players who can pick a pass to break the deadlock. We had that player on the bench in Mata, yet he was only brought on in the 85th minute? That is just bad management. What do you expect him to do in 5 minutes?

Why did it take so long to realise he was needed? It's not a good sign at all if Ole takes so long to make such clear decisions.

Alemar

OGS’ system doesn’t work, from the looks of it. The cornerstone of his system is Lingard as a CAM, but Lingard is the least creative player in the team (apart from defenders maybe). It simply can’t work, simply can’t. OGS needs to understand that you need creativity in the midfield if you want to play well in APL.

It might have worked for a mid table team, but with Man Utd it is wrong to be a counter attacking side (as there are just several team against which we will be counter attacking). The system should allow to convert possession into goal scoring chances - Lingard is the worst possible solution for that.

If it is mandatory to play Lingard (maybe he and the manager feck each other hence he plays) - then swap positions of Pogba and Lingard.

JK-27

I don't think the board backed him enough this summer. We could see that he wanted one of Bruno, Dybala or Eriksen in to provide more creativity and goal threat, rather than have Lingard running aimlessly around in arguably the most important position in a 4231. While I understand that Dybala and Eriksen's demands could have been steep, I think we should have just stuck to it and pushed one of the deals through. The Bruno excuse of "low passing percentage" feels like an excuse for not being able to get a "reasonable fee" with Sporting. The signing of Maguire also took way too long and we did not even pay a much lower price than Leicester's initial demands. Board has failed once again.
The board haven't back our managers for the last 2 summers as a minimum. It's no coincidence the following seasons haven't worked out. Still no DoF. Still Woodward in charge. Still abysmal football.

WOODWARD OUT.

M16Red

Back him, he's trying and has given the players confidence - they wre so so down when he came in.

Could you imagine working for this:

We should have won both games, I enjoy watching this team and I've not though like that for 6 or 7 years.

I really think we should move pogba forward or drop him.

Young and Matic are not playing..

Chairman Steve

He has to change it up. I think it’s a cert to everyone that Lingard should be dropped, but I don’t know whether it means we should bring Matic in and push Pogba forward, or bring Fred in... I’m disappointed that Lukaku and probably Sanchez aren’t going to be replaced. If we had Mandzukic we could have dropped Rashford and brought in an experienced head.

But alas we’re so light up front, that reliance on the likes of Greenwood and Gomes has to be used. I’d like to see us use Gomes at some point in the next month, when League Cup ties and Europa League ties come up.

If OGS isn’t changing his approach, then he’s a dead man walking.

Castia

When the board dont sign players for positions we need then we have no chance, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Ole is on the right track. He's getting rid of the players we all want gone (Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Jones, Young, Matic) whilst trying to give youth a go. If we would have signed a decent midfielder this summer along with a right winger we would comfortably have 9 points now.

It's easy to say drop Lingard. What are our options? Mata? play Matic? Fred? hardly fecking groundbreaking options. Maybe he should give Gomes a chance but again its relying on a young ( and also very small) player so its risky.

JustAGuest

No chance for top 4 now that we have fallen 2 points behind Arsenal. Lucky to even get top 6 at this rate as Leicester and Everton have looked really impressive.

gr3yham3

He has to change it up. I think it’s a cert to everyone that Lingard should be dropped, but I don’t know whether it means we should bring Matic in and push Pogba forward, or bring Fred in... I’m disappointed that Lukaku and probably Sanchez aren’t going to be replaced. If we had Mandzukic we could dropped Rashford and brought in an experienced head.

But alas we’re so light up front, that reliance on the likes of Greenwood and Gomes has to be used. I’d like to see us use Gomes at some point in the next month, when League Cup ties and Europa League ties come up.

If OGS isn’t changing his approach, then he’s a dead man walking.
Sadly, I think Lingard will still start next weekend's match to "help him gain his confidence" and whatever reason Ole might come up with. His post match comments on how he found no problem with Lingard reflects that. Not that he has much of a choice I think - as I mentioned, the Board did not back Ole fully. Net spend of 70m in a window like that is an absolute joke given the amount of holes Ole had in the team. That said, I hope he see Gomes there soon - even if he fails to play well, at least it's good match experience for him, rather than see headless running around with zilch end product from Jesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.