Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldoherz

Where the feck is the support in the supporters.
Yeah, let us just sack everyone and appoint another manager, that'll help a lot

There has been a massive cleanup, but for some reason the board and Woody would not put the money to the table.
We need more players, or we need to let some of the young players get experience. A so dramatic change in the team will always play out on the pitch.

Take a look at how Ole has worked with big changes in the past! After the cleanup he'll need 3 months to recoup. By Christmas we will see the quality and we'll pick 3 points from any opposition
Except Ole looks inept himself at this point. Starting Lingard as a number 10 against a low block is unforgivable, subbing Lingard off to bring on Greenwood out of position is unforgivable too. Either play a formation that doesn't rely on a 10 or pick someone who's skills suit. Any one of Pogba, Fred, Pereira, Mata, Gomez or even bloody Sanchez would be more useful there. Lingard doesn't have the close control, reading of the game or snappy passing to thrive in that role. Add to that his running and ability to play short 1-2s are completely nullified by the defensive setup by palace and no real support in the middle of the park alongside him and you have a player who's a waste of starting place in that game.

Don't get me wrong there is some hope but fact is Ole needs to get his setups and subs right more often or games like yesterday will occur again as the blueprint for smaller sides to come to Old Trafford is clear and proven at this point.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Before the narrative changes from the Ole fans to “people want him out after 3 games” I’d just like to emphasise that the vast majority of people who want him out / do not think he’s good for the job are those who either
  1. Didn’t think he should have been made permanent manager to begin with or
  2. those who assessed our end of season collapse and how Ole handled the summer window/clear and rebuild and now these 3 games are just showing that Ole doesn’t have the coaching skills, management ability, and personality to take this club back to the top.

I read a post on here that it’s rumoured that the early form and football was more down to Carrick and McKenna and as Ole put his influence and way of playing into effect that when results and football became worse.

Never thought of that. But the change in the use of Pogba who was marvellous as a real attacking CM from Jan to March. Does give that rumour credit.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has to be supported until December at least. However it's on Woody that we sold 2 midfielders and a striker without replacing them. Even though Lukkaku and Fellaini weren't right for us we only get stronger by replacing them with someone better.

Rory 7

I'm backing him 100%. I've never been a fan of the Glazers and Woodward, ever. And I still want them out. But...

I actually thought yesterday's performance was a classic example of a young team that is finding its way. Two sucker punch goals, naievity by our lads but come on, get behind these lads.

Denis79

He's most likely not going anywhere until the end of the season, even if our results are bad. Let's be honest, he's been dealt a shitty hand from the get go. Our squad isn't good enough to warrant a lot of our expectations, on top of that, it's very thin in quality. 2-3 injuries and we're in even bigger trouble. Right now we are relying on all our players to click and hit form, our alternatives are scarce in both midfield and attack. James who has never played at this level is expected to be top quality instantly, Lingard is our nr. 10 playmaker and McTominay is Pogbas partner. I'm all for playing our youth and I've set the bar accordingly.

What do people expect? People need to look at the squad for what it really is, we will be very inconsistent this season with a lot of ups and downs. It's not Ole, we simply don't have the players to play like champions on a constant basis.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Honestly he's a bit of a conman.

He comes in, first game the players go out there and smash a poor Cardiff team. Some journalist feeds him some buzzwords about how he wants his team's to play, and he's like yeah, yeah, yeah that's what I want.

Then as his influence grows as a coach on the team, in turns out he doesn't have a clue what he actually wants, or doesn't know how to execute it. The whole, 'we want a high pressing team' thing is hilarious. He apparently wants that, yet continued to play a deep line all of last season and then this season bought a slow CB as the center piece of his defence.
I dont even think anyone here knows how he wants to play.

A counter attacking team shouldnt have lots of possession, you cant expect to counter attack 2 banks of four

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't get I though. He's got very talented coaches working under him. One of who was brilliant for SAF (okay a different era) but also McKenna who got the youth teams playing swashbuckling football. Why, with all this talent, can't we at least play cohesive modern football? On the other hand, Lampard's Chelsea has brought it to the table in 2 minutes (could be like our Cardiff game of course).
I have long complained about the ability of other coaches / clubs to impress a new style / identity on their respective teams in a relatively short period of time, while United are stuck in permanent transition, waiting for jam.

The truth is, Ole doesn’t seem to have a plan beyond running more and counter attacking. I knew after about 20 minutes against Palace that we were in for a struggle because that game scenario has been repeated time and again since SAF retired.

The truth is that we do not operate like a ruthless big club and players rule the roost, knowing that they will not be gotten rid of if they fail to perform.

We had a manager in Mourinho with a clear plan but failed to back him, while underperforming players decided to down tools under him. I think Jose had ultimately run his race at United, but find the malaise after he has left quite interesting – the issues he highlighted quite clearly need addressing: a poor board / technical structure and substandard squad with bad attitude.

We are a rotten club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have long complained about the ability of other coaches / clubs to impress a new style / identity on their respective teams in a relatively short period of time, while United are stuck in permanent transition, waiting for jam.

The truth is, Ole doesn’t seem to have a plan beyond running more and counter attacking. I knew after about 20 minutes against Palace that we were in for a struggle because that game scenario has been repeated time and again since SAF retired.

The truth is that we do not operate like a ruthless big club and players rule the roost, knowing that they will not be gotten rid of if they fail to perform.

We had a manager in Mourinho with a clear plan but failed to back him, while underperforming players decided to down tools under him. I think Jose had ultimately run his race at United, but find the malaise after he has left quite interesting – the issues he highlighted quite clearly need addressing: a poor board / technical structure and substandard squad with bad attitude.

We are a rotten club.
All he seemed to talk about was getting the players stamina levels up, that old chestnut about the players not being fit enough. Every single manager who joins a new club says that one. However there were rumours that the players were allegedly unhappy about doing too much running and not enough ball work. People dismissed it at the time. Maybe he has been concentrating a little too much on fitness and not enough on tactics and practicing basic skills.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Think the board are the main culprits. It starts with them, they employ the managers. If it is the wrong manager then the blame is at their door. They have spent loads of money but have nobody at board level who has the knowledge to know if the purchases are wise or not. The stupid contracts they have handed out to average or past it players. The list goes on. We now have an under-qualified manager with mainly an inexperienced coaching staff bar Phelan. Unfortunately it was always going to be risky, the initial goodwill period could only last so long. A number of these players have somehow managed to still be here through the reign of a number of managers. I really don't know have they have achieved that.
I think the fans were quite culpable in the Ole appointment. We are silly sentimental fools a lot of the time.

Steven-UK

OGS will be gone by the end of the season if not before, and then we start the cycle all over again.

Rashford, Martial and many others are just not good enough to play at this level if we want to be successful. Sure, they will have the odd decent game, but that is just not good enough. We are no better than then we were 7 years ago, we have gone backwards all because we are giving players contracts who do not deserve them, and who do not have the quality for this club.

Putting Rashford on £2/300K a week and making him our number 1 striker is a joke. Our rivals cannot believe their luck.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'd say calling people cnuts is the polar opposite of patronising. If English isn't your first language then fair enough.

Then why mention the crowd booing if it wasn't about Ole? We're in the Ole thread, and I was talking specifically about the lack of support Ole receives... Definitely sounds like a backtrack after I dismantled a shitty argument, from my vantage point.

Hope you to continue to wallow in self pity because we aren't amazing. Cos heaven forbid you support the team through thick and thin... See, I can do patronising too ;)
I didn’t say it was patronising to call people cnuts, I was merely implying it was funny that someone who speaks like that would take umbrage with the tone of another poster.

The crowd was clearly unhappy with the way the game unfolded and you can chunter on all you like about how they all back Ole but the manager constructs the team that the fans are clearly dismayed with.

I don’t think many posters / fans would be pissed off if this was an isolated performance but we have been a shambles for years now.

People like you enable such mediocrity. Enjoy your next 400 mile round trip to OT.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
All he seemed to talk about was getting the players stamina levels up, that old chestnut about the players not being fit enough. Every single manager who joins a new club says that one. However there were rumours that the players were allegedly unhappy about doing too much running and not enough ball work. People dismissed it at the time. Maybe he has been concentrating a little too much on fitness and not enough on tactics and practicing basic skills.
It would make sense because we still look atrociously coached in the attacking phase. We look ever so slightly better as a defensive unit, but still very prone to completely melting down under any concerted pressure. It’s hard to highlight an area where we have genuine quality and I don’t really see where Ole has improved us since joining.

Keefy18

We are a rotten club.
What absolute nonsense!

He's managed the team for 24 league games, 24! We've arm chair know it all's like you thinking they know better.

He clearly has changed our playing style, we are pressing far higher up the pitch and winning possession back quicker and in area's where it can hurt the team more.

We've the leagues youngest team, let that sink in... the leagues youngest team. Of course there is going to be naivety and errors, that's what you get from youth.

What on earth your on about in the first bold part I've no idea. In 8 months he's sold a number of big names from Fellaini, Lukaku, Valencia and refused to meet Herrera's wage demands. Sanchez could be out the door soon enough also with Young and Matic falling down the pecking order. But to your mind they know they won't be punished?

As for the Jose part, my god I can't believe we've still got folks coming out with this old chestnut still.

What exactly was Jose's plan? Pray tell... cause all I saw was him wanting expensive, over the hill and past it investment whilst doing his damn hardest to destroy the club internally. The man himself is utterly, utterly past it and finished at top level management with zero big offers coming his way and only last week crying on camera about it.

But he apparently had a plan, give me a feckin break! :lol:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What absolute nonsense!

He's managed the team for 24 league games, 24! We've arm chair know it all's like you thinking they know better.

He clearly has changed our playing style, we are pressing far higher up the pitch and winning possession back quicker and in area's where it can hurt the team more.

We've the leagues youngest team, let that sink in... the leagues youngest team. Of course there is going to be naivety and errors, that's what you get from youth.

What on earth your on about in the first bold part I've no idea. In 8 months he's sold a number of big names from Fellaini, Lukaku, Valencia and refused to meet Herrera's wage demands. Sanchez could be out the door soon enough also with Young and Matic falling down the pecking order. But to your mind they know they won't be punished?

As for the Jose part, my god I can't believe we've still got folks coming out with this old chestnut still.

What exactly was Jose's plan? Pray tell... cause all I saw was him wanting expensive, over the hill and past it investment whilst doing his damn hardest to destroy the club internally. The man himself is utterly, utterly past it and finished at top level management with zero big offers coming his way and only last week crying on camera about it.

But he apparently had a plan, give me a feckin break! :lol:
Jose had a plan in terms of a clear play style, whether you liked it or not. He got a shit side to second in the league. Ole seems to be good at setting up a team to counter but no remedy to the challenge of facing a compact, deep lying and unambitious team like Palace.

[Edit: For the record, I was no fan of Jose by the end and was glad to see him sacked due to the toxic atmosphere]

We were fortunate to run out comfortable winners against Chelsea, saw our performance against Wolves nosedive after failing to put them away (a recurring theme against that opponent) and produced a performance yesterday straight out the Van Gaal playbook.

The reason we have a young team is that the board are overseeing a managed decline of the playing staff and Ole is never going to call them out because he’s so happy to have been over promoted.

We’ve lost players who had some utility despite not being great - thinking the likes of Lukaku and Herrera - but kept Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Nata and a host of other mediocre players, despite being assured that the manager would show a ruthless edge.

Keefy18

Jose had a plan in terms of a clear play style, whether you liked it or not. He got a shit side to second in the league. Ole seems to be good at setting up a team to counter but no remedy to the challenge of facing a compact, deep lying and unambitious team like Palace.

[Edit: For the record, I was no fan of Jose by the end and was glad to see him sacked due to the toxic atmosphere]

We were fortunate to run out comfortable winners against Chelsea, saw our performance against Wolves nosedive after failing to put them away (a recurring theme against that opponent) and produced a performance yesterday straight out the Van Gaal playbook.

The reason we have a young team is that the board are overseeing a managed decline of the playing staff and Ole is never going to call them out because he’s so happy to have been over promoted.

We’ve lost players who had some utility despite not being great - thinking the likes of Lukaku and Herrera - but kept Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Nata and a host of other mediocre players, despite being assured that the manager would show a ruthless edge.
There was no clear playing style at all, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what it was. He invested in ageing players that turned us into land of the giants and if I was to genuinely take a guess at our Jose playing style...Hoof ball. Hence he loved Fellaini so much and relying on target men.

I think we deserved our win vs Chelsea, did we deserve 4 goals? Probably not but that's how it goes sometimes.

I don't believe that myself, Ole was our youth manager. He has had a short managerial career yes but he's always preferred youth and that's his goal here. He knows the coaches from the youth set up like McKenna and worked alongside Butt who has been promoted. Maybe, just maybe this is the actual plan from Ole himself?

I've no doubt he wants some experience in there and quality as well but he's had a single transfer window and sacking him now is to the detriment of the club. Constantly hitting the reset button is only going to hurt the club in the long run.

We don't have divine right's to league titles at all, the countries 2nd biggest club (Liverpool) are without a league title in 30 years, we have a few years on the periphery and its absolute meltdown.

jackal&hyde

I've got doubts but he hasn't been backed, there's too many holes in the squad... the greatest of managers would struggle with these lot, especially in this league.
I agree with this. 2 senior strikers and poor AMs/10s is very poor from Man Utd. We seem to dominate teams very well but in the final third we have major problems, that is down to player quality.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Should’ve just stuck with Mourinho.

There’s no doubt that Winning the EL, and finishing second with this utter shower we have playing for us is actually an incredible achievement. Mourinho was too strong minded for this useless board and some of our pathetic players to handle.

Nevermind though, as long as Ole keeps smiling and is positive after every defeat all will be well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Top club as United have and should have high standard regarding quality. It goes for players and it should go for imo, most important person in club- manager. So why people expect that Ole will become United quality, top manager? It is just like in real life. You can't become top class in everything just because you are learning. Sure, you can upgrade yourself but on certain level.
Do we expect that McT will become new Roy Keane? James new Robben? Shaw new Evra? Fred new Scholes? No, we don't. We all hope that they will become better players, raise their game but we all see that they will never become world class players. Same goes with Ole. He is not Greenwood in managers world. Somebody who just started, you see talent and at the moment you can't say how high his quality will go. Ole has 10 years of career already. 9 months in United. Maybe we should accept that this what we see is his maximum and that is not good enough for club like United.
Squad has 25 players. Some of them can be average and be squad player but manager is only one and he must be top class in club with highest ambition

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
People wanting him sacked after three games (3!) needs to have a word with themselves and calm the feck down. Not much can be taken from last season. We went from tittle winning form to relegation form because of fitness issues and injuries so its not really a great benchmark

Lets see how the season pans out. If we are in a worse state in May, then yeah, he should leave, but sacking him now and start looking for a new manager is utterly senseless

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I just want to know what changed for majority on here to change their tune from 'Pep would win the PL with this squad, Jose is wasting the talents at his disposal' in May of 2018 to Pep, Klopp and Poch would do no better than Ole with this squad? :houllier:

It's crazy (but not surprising) to see people change their opinion so quick. There are deep lying issues in the squad but I still don't see any system in place in what we're trying to accomplish when we attack, that's the bare minimum I expect from any manager.

SoCross

I’m fully behind Ole for the season. He still needs to be given a proper chance to have a crack at sorting out the mess that is Manchester United.

But a bit puzzled as to why he changed a winning team. Go back to the team which beat Chelsea, go back to that same formation.

Enigma_87

You know who
But you see where we'd be if that was the case? you have £70m to spend go and buy a RB, CB, 2 midfielders , Winger and Striker?

This is what im saying. it's not possible and if it was we'd end up with a squad full of Danny Welbecks.

We need quiality players. He's added 2 to 2 position we desperately needed. The board didn't get the job done its as simple as that, why you blame Ole for that i'll never know.

Get ready because guess what, it wont be fixed next summer either. Infact Pogba will more than likely go and leave even less cover in midfield and we'll sign 1 midfielder if we're lucky, so the good news is there's still gonna be plenty for you to complain about yipeeee!
He will not make it till Christmas. For what is said about the squad it’s not as bad as 3 wins in 15 would suggest.

You can’t say the board didn’t back him, because:
1. He said multiple times he’s happy with the squad.

2. He has approved or initiated the Brexit strategy

3. He’s selling the idea that the kids are good enough to replace the old guard.

Enigma_87

You know who
People wanting him sacked after three games (3!) needs to have a word with themselves and calm the feck down. Not much can be taken from last season. We went from tittle winning form to relegation form because of fitness issues and injuries so its not really a great benchmark

Lets see how the season pans out. If we are in a worse state in May, then yeah, he should leave, but sacking him now and start looking for a new manager is utterly senseless
It’s not three games it’s half of a season as an excerpt.

beer&grill

They're fecking turncoats, the lot of them. No patience and no sense.

I bet 99% of them can't locate Manchester on a map, let alone go to Old Trafford on a match day. I couldn't give a flying feck if they wake up at 3am to watch us. I live with a physical disability and drive 400+ miles on a round trip from London every other week to support the team home and away which puts an awful lot of strain on my legs and my health, yet these precious cnuts have had enough(!)

Quite frankly, they can feck right off.
If it hadn’t been for global fans you would drive to watch your team in Championship or fighting relegation.

Castia

He will not make it till Christmas. For what is said about the squad it’s not as bad as 3 wins in 15 would suggest.

You can’t say the board didn’t back him, because:
1. He said multiple times he’s happy with the squad.

2. He has approved or initiated the Brexit strategy

3. He’s selling the idea that the kids are good enough to replace the old guard.

He probably wont last till Christmas, the guy who follows him probably wont last much more than a season either.

You constantly contradict yourself. You continue to say he was backed yet your biggest issue is wondering why we still dont have a midfielder, winger and striker like that's Ole's fault.

It's common knowledge we tried to sign Dybala and Eriksen....So Ole wanted more players we just couldn't get them done.

The board are fecking useless mate, it's taken you 6 years and you're still blaming the managers? last year Jose wanted 4 players including Maguire and ended up with Fred and Dalot( groundbreaking fecking treble winning signings btw), this year the same shit is happening.

Youngest squad in the league and have had some serious bad luck. All in all we haven't played that bad considering, those pens go in and im sure we'd be on 9 points now.

Last edited:

prateik

If the decision not to sign a midfielder and a replacement for Lukaku was Ole's call, he deserves the blame..
If we didnt have enough money to get anyone in or Woody couldnt reach an agreement with the selling club, impossible to blame the manager..

We havent been outplayed.. at all. 2 pen misses.. changes the whole picture.
No need to panic.. Just incredibly annoying.

el3mel

I just want to know what changed for majority on here to change their tune from 'Pep would win the PL with this squad, Jose is wasting the talents at his disposal' in May of 2018 to Pep, Klopp and Poch would do no better than Ole with this squad? :houllier:

It's crazy (but not surprising) to see people change their opinion so quick. There are deep lying issues in the squad but I still don't see any system in place in what we're trying to accomplish when we attack, that's the bare minimum I expect from any manager.
The name of the manager changed. That's about it. No doubt for me if we replaced Mourinho with say Allegri and we were as we're now under Ole, he would be slaughtered as much as Mourinho too.

Enigma_87

You know who
He probably wont last till Christmas, the guy who follows him probably wont last much more than a season either.

You constantly contradict yourself. You continue to say he was backed yet your biggest issue is wondering why we still dont have a midfielder, winger and striker like that's Ole's fault.

We didn't end up with another player altough it's common knowledge we tried to sign Dybala and Eriksen....So Ole wanted more players we just couldn't get them done.

The board are fecking useless mate, it's taken you 6 years and you're still blaming the managers? last year Jose wanted 4 players including Maguire and ended up with Fred and Dalot( groundbreaking fecking treble winning signings btw), this year the same shit is happening.
I’m not contradicting myself mate. He hasn’t came out once saying the board is not backing him up. Dybala opened as an opportunity only after Juve we’re interested in Lukaku so it’s not like we made inquiries before.

Board is useless but so is Ole. Both need to go, but since is near impossible to move on Ed - Ole is next in line.

Also as said if the decision that we should go with youth was Ole he deserves all the flack for going into a season like that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I believe the story that the board won't sack Ole unless shit really hits the fan ie we're loitering around 7th to 10th and not looking like improving.

We're in a bad moment right now though and it's feasible that it does happen. I honestly could see Pochettino being in charge by the end of the season.

Castia

I’m not contradicting myself mate. He hasn’t came out once saying the board is not backing him up. Dybala opened as an opportunity only after Juve we’re interested in Lukaku so it’s not like we made inquiries before.

Board is useless but so is Ole. Both need to go, but since is near impossible to move on Ed - Ole is next in line.
Fair enough but come on he's in a tough position to do that. He'll go against his bosses whilst also telling his squad he's not entirely happy with the players he's got.

His best interview to date was early in the summer when he said big changes would happen....he's kept his part of the bargain. Lukaku, Sanchez out whilst dropping Young, Jones, Matic and Smalling that's what 99% of United fans wanted.

We just did half a job and left ourselves 2-3 players short on recruitment. If Ole was to talk openly now there's no chance he would turn down the choice of a new midfielder and winger.

Enigma_87

You know who
Fair enough but come on he's in a tough position to do that. He'll go against his bosses whilst also telling his squad he's not entirely happy with the players he's got.

His best interview to date was early in the summer when he said big changes would happen....he's kept his part of the bargain. Lukaku, Sanchez out whilst dropping Young, Jones and Smalling that's what 99% of United fans wanted.

We just did half a job and left ourselves 2-3 players short on recruitment.
You keep assuming it was the board that made that call. What if it was Ole, who made the call and believed Mason, Gomes and the likes would be good enough?

Foxbatt

I thought he would succeed but having seen how he gets us to play I do not think he is cut for it. I will give a few examples and Lingard to me is not the sole problem. I have problems in the way we play. My biggest problem is our movement when a United player has the ball and the lack of movement collectively from other United players.
This is something that has to be coached and practiced and practiced all the time.
Time and time again we see when Rashford gets the ball, he will either try to kick and run, or slow the play down and invariably he will lose it. Once or twice every game I could accept it but when it happens most of the time then it is a coaching problem.
As some others have said when Lingard gets the ball at the edge of the box he will play it back to where it came from. Once a match yes but when it happens a lot that is a coaching problem.
Square defence when the other side has the ball( like the goal we conceded against Palace) is a coaching problem. When Lindelof is losing headers too easily then it is a coaching problem.
I do not know if some of you notice but when we have the ball on any of our flanks the only option is playing back, or playing along the touchline. The most important third option is never there and that is to play inside. This is because we have the right winger and the right full back and no one is coming from the centre to create that opportunity for a pass. That is a coaching problem.
So I am convinced now from what I have seen that Ole is a mediocre manager. No better than Bruce, etc. At least with Bruce he has been coaching in the PL for a long time. There are plenty of managers who are better coaches than Ole even in the PL. The fact that he is a legend in the club is the only reason he is there.

Castia

You keep assuming it was the board that made that call. What if it was Ole, who made the call and believed Mason, Gomes and the likes would be good enough?
I can't believe that, if that's true then he must be a mad man.

Truth is we were trying to get players in. Longstaff bid was fact, Dybala was too. We also went for a late Eriksen bid.

We wanted players but we just didn't get them done, I mean Ed's had a busy summer he's had to sign 3 new players bet he's fecking nakered...

shr89

Trying to update our footballing style and culture in the tactical modern age of 2019, by attempting to replicate the 90s and 00s motivational methods of a uniquely inspirational motivational manager, without that manager, was alwasy a pretty iffy recipie for success...

Liverpool’s decline was predicated on their slavish adherence to the “boot room”.... which fell apart when football changed in the 90s, and the old school ideologies of Souness and Evans simply didn’t cut it anymore.... yet for some baffling reason we’ve all convinced ourselves that the clubs failures under Mourhino and LVG (themselves antiquated - albeit high profile managers) was entirely down to them not being sufficiently “United” enough... which basically just meant “not Alex Ferguson”... or rather “not the subjectively mythical version of whichever of the many different Alex Ferguson sides we imagine had the most discernible style!”
Great post.

TsuWave

Trying to update our footballing style and culture in the tactical modern age of 2019, by attempting to replicate the 90s and 00s motivational methods of a uniquely inspirational motivational manager, without that manager, was alwasy a pretty iffy recipie for success...

Liverpool’s decline was predicated on their slavish adherence to the “boot room”.... which fell apart when football changed in the 90s, and the old school ideologies of Souness and Evans simply didn’t cut it anymore.... yet for some baffling reason we’ve all convinced ourselves that the clubs failures under Mourhino and LVG (themselves antiquated - albeit high profile managers) was entirely down to them not being sufficiently “United” enough... which basically just meant “not Alex Ferguson”... or rather “not the subjectively mythical version of whichever of the many different Alex Ferguson sides we imagine had the most discernible style!”
facts

Enigma_87

You know who
I can't believe that, if that's true then he must be a mad man.

Truth is we were trying to get players in. Longstaff bid was fact, Dybala was too. We also went for a late Eriksen bid.

We wanted players but we just didn't get them done, I mean Ed's had a busy summer he's had to sign 3 new players bet he's fecking nakered...
It’s not like we can’t loan players in mate. Going into a season like that and saying you are happy probably means he truly believes that squad and young players are ready.

It’s not like we can’t bring in stop gaps to help ease the young players. And yes going into the season like that was madness and no I can’t pin the whole fault on the board given we didn’t start any of the other 5 seasons after Fergie so skint.

Castia

It’s not like we can’t loan players in mate. Going into a season like that and saying you are happy probably means he truly believes that squad and young players are ready.

It’s not like we can’t bring in stop gaps to help ease the young players. And yes going into the season like that was madness and no I can’t pin the whole fault on the board given we didn’t start any of the other 5 seasons after Fergie so skint.
I believe we blew our load in those early years and are now seeing the consequences. The board probably got tired of spunking hundreds of millions on absolute dross.

lysglimt

Scout
Sure. Promote him to the technical staff, make him a scout or part of the recruiting, but remove him from the manager position.

Those ‘lot better players’ might not be useful for the next manager who actually has an imprint and plan rather than pashun, run a lot, counter attack and Rashy.
What James, Maguire and AWB have shown so far - any new manager not finding these players useful shouldnt be a manager. AWB has generally been our best player, Maguire has been solid apart from that one mistake yesterday and James has shown enough to indicate he will indeed be useful. That goal was superb

Status
Not open for further replies.