Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Then you have underlined the point. No player was coming in unless it involved the Lukakau deal. You think Ole was waiting all summer till the last few days of the window to bring in Mandzukic or Dybala?
Erm, it's been pretty widely reported we still tried to sign Mandzukic after the other deal fell through but we couldn't agree terms. Ole's also mentioned several times in interviews that he thinks we're a bit light up top even with Alexis still here. He's also been careful not to throw youngsters in the deep end but ease them in instead. You're delusional if you think this is what Ole wants.
Then why wait up until deadline day to get in Mandzikic when the player was clearly not wanted at Juve and we could have easily got him in the beginning of pre-season, especially since Ole mentioned he wanted transfer business to be done early?

We were looking to offload Lukaku. Dybala and Mandzukic were real sweeteners and up until that point we weren't really in to Dybala.

We didn't bring in a CF and up to the point we were about to swap Lukaku we haven't really been linked with one - except Ben Yedder, who also has been pretty much available.

Do you honestly believe if Ole was adamant in bringing Mandzukic or Yedder since the start of the window our board wouldn't be capable of getting them or just we got desperate in the last week and as always used our scattered desperate approach?

Fahad Jawaid

For me there are two things which i am curious about.

1) Whether the board was unwilling to allow Ole to make wholesole changes during the summer. In that case all the blame goes towards Ed and Glazers, however Ole should have atleast voiced his concerns in a subtle way regarding transfers. For eg saying we had a good window but we were hoping for one or two attacking faces and its a shame we could not get them over the line etc. In this case as he is a club legend the fans will revolt against Ed and Glazers and will result in big spending in January and Summer.

2) if he was actually happy with the squad and he being naive thought these young players are good enough then he should get the blame for failures and make no mistake Ed will feed him to the sharks like others if we are looking at another season out of champions league football.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's clearly not I was saying. I was talking about Spurs for a start in that instance. So I'm not sure you're really grasping what I'm saying.

And you want to be like Madrid - so ok you proved your point there. Let's sack a manager every 10 games then and see if that works shall we?

This club has been through this cycle before. And it has solved it the same way before. It's nothing to do with outdated methods. It's to do with all manner of things that are unique to this club: location, history, a belief in young players, and yes patience. Which is how the OT Trafford crowd has always been. Instead of booing players like Madrid do at a moment's notice. Like many in the caf, in fact. If you don't get that, you don't get the club.
But we are not Spurs mate. We aren't Everton either.

Managers should not be given 3-4 years of mediocrity. With all the resources the club has and all the stature he has we shouldn't make such experiments.

There should be some minimal requirements to get the job. You can't expect Ole to suddenly turn into Fergie in 2-3 years time.

If we get a top manager he will have a tactical blueprint from day one - look at Klopp, look at Pep. When you do that and you get that you can back him up and give him 3-4 years.

When don't have those minimal requirements it's pointless to throw shite against the wall and hope one sticks.

You can keep your core values, but use them smart. You can be patient with the right people but if you are ambitious you have to learn from your mistakes and fix them. It's how smart people operate.

el3mel

No, just like how Spurs shouldn’t lose to Newcastle, potentially a worse team, with fewer clearer chances than we had against Palace.
I don't give a feck about what Spurs or Poch do in comparison to us and I don't think anyone would care either. It's still unacceptable for us to lose to Palace at home.

Sing you a song

I don't give a feck about what Spurs or Poch do in comparison to us and I don't think anyone would care either. It's still unacceptable for us to lose to Palace at home.
It’s the premier lge mate the toughest lge in the world these results have always happened and always will I also dont give a feck about Spurs but Newcastle beating them on there own ground is just as big a shock as us losing to palace .
I think most agree that if Pogba had scored his penalty we would have won that game and if Rashford hadn’t missed his ( off the inside of the post for God’s sake ! ) then we would have probably gone onto win against palace , small margins make all the difference we could have been sitting pretty with 9 points , give Ole a break everyone has been slagging him off since the palace game wil golden boy Poch get the same treatment tomorrow? I doubt it

RedMilo

I can see an identity to the team which is a step forward, however, I think not replacing Herrera was criminal by the club. Against teams that set up to defend such as Palace, it is important not only to have possession but make things happen whilst in possession. What I noticed last season, our run end co-incided with Herrera being injured and out of the midfield, as it allowed Pogba to concentrate on the creative side of the game which he is good at. Pogba in a 2 man midfield doesn't work, he clearly feels the weight of responsibility, but he needs to be liberated or indulged whichever term you wish to use, until he is gone. But we don't have the personnel, as we haven't replaced key squad members.

Id like to see Axel get a run alongside Maguire.

Give Gomes a chance as the AM, as Lingard doesn't offer enough creatively and the Mata contract renewal was bizarre, he actually offers very little going forward and nothing to the team defensively.

We don't have the personnel yet to be effective in possession, but do have the players to be a decent counter attacking team, which when teams defend deep we may struggle.

Clearly the club haven't fully backed OGS or got players over the line, when he was talking about 1 or 2 more coming in during the window but only Maguire arrived.

Judge Ole end of next season, when he has had 3 windows to build his team. His approach is certainly more positive than JM, which is an improvement...

passing-wind

Andy Mitten put out a great read just after the closure of the transfer window, summed up the situation at United by saying Solskjaers long term success depends on short term results. This is ultimately why people saying he's going to get two years worth of windows to make changes that's beneath the truth. It all depends on if the club make top 4.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The problem with people saying that it's the boards fault, is that Ole came out and said he was happy with the squad, happy with what Woodward was doing.

If you're going to defend your employers, no matter how bad you think they're doing, then you should, and will rightly take the brunt of the fans reaction.

ScarleyUtd

But we are not Spurs mate. We aren't Everton either.

Managers should not be given 3-4 years of mediocrity. With all the resources the club has and all the stature he has we shouldn't make such experiments.

There should be some minimal requirements to get the job. You can't expect Ole to suddenly turn into Fergie in 2-3 years time.

If we get a top manager he will have a tactical blueprint from day one - look at Klopp, look at Pep. When you do that and you get that you can back him up and give him 3-4 years.

When don't have those minimal requirements it's pointless to throw shite against the wall and hope one sticks.

You can keep your core values, but use them smart. You can be patient with the right people but if you are ambitious you have to learn from your mistakes and fix them. It's how smart people operate.
You're contradicting yourself. First, be like Real Madrid, then agreeing we should be patient and true to our core values. Ole is an attempt to do the latter. Whether it'll work or not who knows, but that is trying to fix the mistakes since Fergie.

Klopp - we'd gone for a 'power' manager by then remember (LVG had a tactical blueprint as did Mourinho). Plenty on here also didn't think Klopp would cut it either. It's easy to be wise after the event. And your comment on Fergie - how long did he take to get it right? Far more than two or three years!

The TV beckons.

Greck

I can see an identity to the team which is a step forward, however, I think not replacing Herrera was criminal by the club. Against teams that set up to defend such as Palace, it is important not only to have possession but make things happen whilst in possession. What I noticed last season, our run end co-incided with Herrera being injured and out of the midfield, as it allowed Pogba to concentrate on the creative side of the game which he is good at. Pogba in a 2 man midfield doesn't work, he clearly feels the weight of responsibility, but he needs to be liberated or indulged whichever term you wish to use, until he is gone. But we don't have the personnel, as we haven't replaced key squad members.

Id like to see Axel get a run alongside Maguire.

Give Gomes a chance as the AM, as Lingard doesn't offer enough creatively and the Mata contract renewal was bizarre, he actually offers very little going forward and nothing to the team defensively.

We don't have the personnel yet to be effective in possession, but do have the players to be a decent counter attacking team, which when teams defend deep we may struggle.

Clearly the club haven't fully backed OGS or got players over the line, when he was talking about 1 or 2 more coming in during the window but only Maguire arrived.

Judge Ole end of next season, when he has had 3 windows to build his team. His approach is certainly more positive than JM, which is an improvement...
What's our identity? Genuinely asking

ArjenIsM3

Then why wait up until deadline day to get in Mandzikic when the player was clearly not wanted at Juve and we could have easily got him in the beginning of pre-season, especially since Ole mentioned he wanted transfer business to be done early?

We were looking to offload Lukaku. Dybala and Mandzukic were real sweeteners and up until that point we weren't really in to Dybala.

We didn't bring in a CF and up to the point we were about to swap Lukaku we haven't really been linked with one - except Ben Yedder, who also has been pretty much available.

Do you honestly believe if Ole was adamant in bringing Mandzukic or Yedder since the start of the window our board wouldn't be capable of getting them or just we got desperate in the last week and as always used our scattered desperate approach?
Wow, you're really bending over backwards here. Twisting facts to fit your narrative. We were interested in Mandzukic long before deadline day. Ben Yedder too as you pointed out yourself. Our board, or rather Woody and the one in charge of negotiations, have proven to be utterly incompetent for years now. Why is it so hard to believe they messed up again? Why would you rather believe everything Ole's said was a lie? Baffling really.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's clearly not I was saying. I was talking about Spurs for a start in that instance. So I'm not sure you're really grasping what I'm saying.

And you want to be like Madrid - so ok you proved your point there. Let's sack a manager every 10 games then and see if that works shall we?

This club has been through this cycle before. And it has solved it the same way before. It's nothing to do with outdated methods. It's to do with all manner of things that are unique to this club: location, history, a belief in young players, and yes patience. Which is how the OT Trafford crowd has always been. Instead of booing players like Madrid do at a moment's notice. Like many in the caf, in fact. If you don't get that, you don't get the club.
Why is it considered a bad thing to "want to be like Madrid"? They're a club that refuses to lower their expectations, they've won more Champions League titles this decade than we have in our entire history. Yes, I think we (and every other club in football) should aspire to be more like them!

Keefy18

Just for the record, I am a huge Poch fan and think he is a fantastic coach. But it puts it into perspective how utterly pathetic, embarrassing, cringe and idiotic our supporters are.

Ole's had 24 league games and even for half of that we've had spoiled, instant gratification planks demanding he be sacked.

Eddy_JukeZ

Just for the record, I am a huge Poch fan and think he is a fantastic coach. But it puts it into perspective how utterly pathetic, embarrassing, cringe and idiotic our supporters are.

Ole's had 24 league games and even for half of that we've had spoiled, instant gratification planks demanding he be sacked.

Poch has proved himself and got Spurs to the CL final last season.

Ole has proved nothing.

Major difference.

RedMilo

What's our identity? Genuinely asking
Well the emphasis has been on pacey forward players ala James, Rashford, Lingard & Martial with a flat back 4 and a central midfield 2. We have shown real attacking intent, which I like and its what you would expect from a former striker as manager. The lack of control in the game is the most concerning thing for me, whilst you can dominate possession, you never felt like we quite had control or could create more. This is down to lack of personnel, as I alluded to. Hope this clarifies.

ScarleyUtd

Why is it considered a bad thing to "want to be like Madrid"? They're a club that refuses to lower their expectations, they've won more Champions League titles this decade than we have in our entire history. Yes, I think we (and every other club in football) should aspire to be more like them!
In winning trophies sure. But it doesn't mean you can or should be like them.

matt10000

Sack. Total shambles.

He's not 'putting faith' in the youngsters. He's hanging them out to dry.
I am proud that we are not like Madrid. No soul, no character, no identity.

red thru&thru

Back him.

We now have a way of playing. We can see what he's trying to achieve with the team. Unfortunately it's not an overnight thing.

Also, you can see the influence he has had on the youth teams. They look so good. He's trying to bring an identity back to the club, and you can see it with the youth system.

There's only one man who needs the sack, Ed Woodward.

Keefy18

Poch has proved himself and got Spurs to the CL final last season.

Ole has proved nothing.

Major difference.
Ole is in the job 8 months....Poch is in the job 4 seasons and still has a record as bad as a lad who's arse hasn't left an indent in his managers seat.

Glad we agree there is in fact major differences.

Keefy18

So in essence we now have to lower the expectation of United as a club to Everton level to give him more time? Yes, that makes sense..

And no, at no time having 3 wins in 15 is worse than Madrid's "knee-jerkery". May I remind you that they have had 3 managers just last season and fired Lopetegui after 14 games.

You are looking in the past and expect what worked 30 years ago will work now. You can either look at reality and in the future or fall down to past glory and antiquated methods.

Some understanding of the club is important - Fergie was responsible for all football related stuff, hence the manager, without the proper structure will still be responsible for all football related stuff. And no you don't give that monumental job to a rookie.

You keep looking in the past, yet if you want to stay competitive you have to see what and how other clubs operate. Otherwise you can be prepared for Liverpool level of "success" in the last 30 years in the league.
Trying to aspire to Madrid's level of scum feckery is pathetic. They are woefully under performing the last 2-3 seasons and ZZ is lost without Ronaldo and it will show. They've finished 3rd the last 2 seasons in a two horse race.

And no we are not lowering our expectation to levels of Everton, its called common sense and affording managers a reasonable amount of time to apply their ideals in the team and across the footballing side of the club.

R'hllor

People really comparing Ole and Poch, really? Comparing our defeat with theirs, really? Do we look the same on the pitch then, win or lose?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Should Pochettino be fired from Tottenham? Just asking since they just lost 1-0 to Newcastle. Or is there some sensible middle ground here that sometimes you just dont get the result you deserve?

Keefy18

People really comparing Ole and Poch, really? Comparing our defeat with theirs, really? Do we look the same on the pitch then, win or lose?
I've watched all 3 of our games and all 3 of theirs, we've played far better than they have in the opening 3 games so far.

Fair enough they played City last weekend but Spurs were absolutely woeful vs Villa and only Eriksen coming on saved them. Today again, dreadful and couldn't break down a dreadful Newcastle side and again reliant on Eriksen who this time couldn't even save them.

We've scored more and conceded less then them already. I appreciate its extremely early days but that's the results and performances to date, what else are we to judge except what's put before us so far?

R'hllor

I've watched all 3 of our games and all 3 of theirs, we've played far better than they have in the opening 3 games so far.

Fair enough they played City last weekend but Spurs were absolutely woeful vs Villa and only Eriksen coming on saved them. Today again, dreadful and couldn't break down a dreadful Newcastle side and again reliant on Eriksen who this time couldn't even save them.

We've scored more and conceded less then them already. I appreciate its extremely early days but that's the results and performances to date, what else are we to judge except what's put before us so far?
I was just asking a question about performances on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its 3 games but we have looked miles better than then in the opening 3 games. A lot about Spurs just comes across as stale.

Keefy18

I was just asking a question about performances on the pitch.
Yep and genuinely I think we've been a feck tonne better to watch.

They registered a single shot on target vs Villa up to the hour mark, Eriksen comes on and turns the game.

City dominated, as is expected.

Newcastle similar to Villa, single shot on target right up to the end and registered another late on.

Overall slow, lacking tempo, lacking creativity and energy and really not impressed at all by them.

I've been more impressed by Chelsea than Spurs so far being honest.

Snuffkin

The last two games we have not been right. The midfield seems to be completely missing. There is no flow to our game.
If Lingard, De Gea, Pogba, McTominay and Shaw look ok in training then that's fine but they look wrecked to me. Time to bring the youngsters on-Greenwood, Gomez and Chong.

Sing you a song

The problem with people saying that it's the boards fault, is that Ole came out and said he was happy with the squad, happy with what Woodward was doing.

If you're going to defend your employers, no matter how bad you think they're doing, then you should, and will rightly take the brunt of the fans reaction.
Can you imagine the effect on the confidence of the squad if ole had said he was unhappy with the squad ? If he felt we were in need of more new players , if he had admitted his squad wasn’t good enough ? Dear god give the guy some credit bleating about wanting more players would have done no good as he doesn’t control the purse strings .
But at least give him credit for trying to keep morale up in the squad

Enigma_87

You know who
You're contradicting yourself. First, be like Real Madrid, then agreeing we should be patient and true to our core values. Ole is an attempt to do the latter. Whether it'll work or not who knows, but that is trying to fix the mistakes since Fergie.

Klopp - we'd gone for a 'power' manager by then remember (LVG had a tactical blueprint as did Mourinho). Plenty on here also didn't think Klopp would cut it either. It's easy to be wise after the event. And your comment on Fergie - how long did he take to get it right? Far more than two or three years!

The TV beckons.
First off I'm not. I've already said we can show patience with the right man, but if that man clearly isn't and it's wrong appointment measures should be taken in time before we fall back even further behind.

Yes, it's easy to be wise after the event. I don't need time to see it won't work and comment after do I?

Trying to aspire to Madrid's level of scum feckery is pathetic. They are woefully under performing the last 2-3 seasons and ZZ is lost without Ronaldo and it will show. They've finished 3rd the last 2 seasons in a two horse race.

And no we are not lowering our expectation to levels of Everton, its called common sense and affording managers a reasonable amount of time to apply their ideals in the team and across the footballing side of the club.
Compare what Madrid have achieved since Fergie retired and what we have.

How much time do we give him? Why didn't we give Moyes 6 seasons then?

Wow, you're really bending over backwards here. Twisting facts to fit your narrative. We were interested in Mandzukic long before deadline day. Ben Yedder too as you pointed out yourself. Our board, or rather Woody and the one in charge of negotiations, have proven to be utterly incompetent for years now. Why is it so hard to believe they messed up again? Why would you rather believe everything Ole's said was a lie? Baffling really.
What has Ole said about us not getting a CF? What has he said to fit your narrative?

Why is so hard to believe that he started a season unprepared and short in options in both attack and midfield? Didn't he said that he expected the young players to step in, whilst it's pretty obvious that is a high burden to put on them?

When the manager goes on and says he's happy with the squad multiple times he has to prove it on the pitch. And if the results don't show it who do you hold responsible first?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Can you imagine the effect on the confidence of the squad if ole had said he was unhappy with the squad ? If he felt we were in need of more new players , if he had admitted his squad wasn’t good enough ? Dear god give the guy some credit bleating about wanting more players would have done no good as he doesn’t control the purse strings .
But at least give him credit for trying to keep morale up in the squad
Morale of the squad? :lol: who gives a feck? They're shit, it's been obvious for the past 5 years, these players should have been shipped out this summer, but he was too much of a nice guy to do anything.

I do generally agree with your point though, but the fact the players downed tools for the last 10 games of last season, and have a track record of downing tools on managers should have told him that these players won't perform for him.

ArjenIsM3

What has Ole said about us not getting a CF? What has he said to fit your narrative?

Why is so hard to believe that he started a season unprepared and short in options in both attack and midfield? Didn't he said that he expected the young players to step in, whilst it's pretty obvious that is a high burden to put on them?

When the manager goes on and says he's happy with the squad multiple times he has to prove it on the pitch. And if the results don't show it who do you hold responsible first?
Prior to selling Lukaku, he said anyone that would be sold had to he replaced. When we did sell Lukaku we tried getting Dybala and Mandzukic in but failed. According to Dybala's agent, it was down to the clubs not finding an agreement. In other words, Ed didn't pay up and let Ole down.

Ole's also said he thinks we're a bit light up front a couple of times in interviews. You mention a high burden being put on youngsters. How? Everyone on here is criticizing Ole for not starting the likes of Greenwood and Gomes. He's trying to protect them by easing them in. As he should.

What kind of manager goes on proclaiming he thinks his squad is shite in pressers? Why would you want that? Do you want morale to be shite? Christ you must be a Mourinho fanboy. You don't air your dirty laundry.

Enigma_87

You know who
Prior to selling Lukaku, he said anyone that would be sold had to he replaced. When we did sell Lukaku we tried getting Dybala and Mandzukic in but failed. According to Dybala's agent, it was down to the clubs not finding an agreement. In other words, Ed didn't pay up and let Ole down.

Ole's also said he thinks we're a bit light up front a couple of times in interviews. You mention a high burden being put on youngsters. How? Everyone on here is criticizing Ole for not starting the likes of Greenwood and Gomes. He's trying to protect them by easing them in. As he should.

What kind of manager goes on proclaiming he thinks his squad is shite in pressers? Why would you want that? Do you want morale to be shite? Christ you must be a Mourinho fanboy. You don't air your dirty laundry.
I think we had the same argument with couple of other posters who said Greenwood IS Lukaku's replacement and Ole will be playing in a fluid front four which doesn't need a striker.

Who says about saying the squad is shite?

He stands out and says he's happy with what Woodward has done and he's happy with the squad. So which is it - he's happy with it or he's lying in front of all to save face of the owners?

When the manager comes out and says he's happy with the squad should he be held accountable with all those asking for more reinforcements and bigger squad, simple question?

ArjenIsM3

I think we had the same argument with couple of other posters who said Greenwood IS Lukaku's replacement and Ole will be playing in a fluid front four which doesn't need a striker.

Who says about saying the squad is shite?

He stands out and says he's happy with what Woodward has done and he's happy with the squad. So which is it - he's happy with it or he's lying in front of all to save face of the owners?

When the manager comes out and says he's happy with the squad should he be held accountable with all those asking for more reinforcements and bigger squad, simple question?
They don't speak for Ole and Ole's actions contradict those opinions.

I don't think he's happy with the squad. I think he's happy with the new additions he did get though. Think he's trying to up morale by saying he's happy with them. Nothing to do with the owners. He's doing the exact opposite from what Mourinho did which left the squad demoralised and got him fired. Obviously Ole knows he won't be challenging for anything this season. Top four is probably what he's hoping for and with the squad he has it would be a great job if he pulls that off. There's a reason he's been saying it's a long term project.

Enigma_87

You know who
They don't speak for Ole and Ole's actions contradict those opinions.

I don't think he's happy with the squad. I think he's happy with the new additions he did get though. Think he's trying to up morale by saying he's happy with them. Nothing to do with the owners. He's doing the exact opposite from what Mourinho did which left the squad demoralised and got him fired. Obviously Ole knows he won't be challenging for anything this season. Top four is probably what he's hoping for and with the squad he has it would be a great job if he pulls that off. There's a reason he's been saying it's a long term project.
So if we continue losing points Ole is exempt of responsibility because Woodward didn't improve the team, despite by his own admission he's happy with it? You are contradicting yourself.

When it becomes the managers fault for the mishaps on the pitch? We're in the worst run since half a decade. Shouldn't a new manager improve the team even without new players?

Do you believe United manager should be on a 3 win in 15 and we should be happy with it and accept that we should give him 2-3 years to turn it around? When does it become illusion?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As a neutral fan. I must say this is the first time in many years I am impressed with United. Finally they want to built a young team without spending way too much money on bad old players. And yes, this takes time. But it's the best thing that has happened since Ferguson by fay.

The results aren't there yet, but I am also impressed with Ole. He really wants to built on long term and also shows in other aspects that he is a very talented manager. As a United fan, I would be relieved after all those years.

I love the tactic:

De Gea (Spa, 28)

Wan-Bissaka (Eng, 21) - Lindelöf (Swe, 25) - Maguire (Eng, 26) - Shaw (Eng, 24)

Pogba (Fra, 26) - McTominay (Sco, 22)
Lingard (Eng, 26)

James (Wal, 21) - Martial (Fra, 23) - Rashford (Eng, 21)

It reminds me of a starting Alex Ferguson. Only problem is that the number 10 position is vital in this, and I think Lingard is not enough if you want to win the PL title. But Pereira (Bra, 23) could help a lot. And maybe buy a young world class 10.
Thanks for posting this. I hope some of our fans read this and rethink their position

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Should Pochettino be fired from Tottenham? Just asking since they just lost 1-0 to Newcastle. Or is there some sensible middle ground here that sometimes you just dont get the result you deserve?
Really? If Poch was fired to answer you question every top club in Europe would be after him. If Ole was fired, nobody, not even bottom of the premier league teams would want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.