Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
I knew you would dismiss them due to not understanding them. It's just coincidence City and Liverpool come out massively above everyone else on the same statistics last season i suppose.

Poch is on a similar record at the moment. He should be sacked too.
Poch has a proven track record. Klopp had a proven track record. Yes I’d dismiss them as I’ve said in other topics it’s easy for teams to set up against us. We can botch up the stats but we doesn’t even look remotely close to being mentioned in the same breath as those two other teams.

As someone else said Rodgers got Leicester playing better without spending hundreds of millions yet we say nothing will change if we appoint a better manager? That’s madness mate, really it is.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah, I don't understand why it makes any sense to generate stats that filter out his results when he was first managing us purely on the basis of his contract situation.
It depends what you want to 'prove' i suppose.

Castia

He’s having to do the dirty work and clean up 6 years worth of mess.

Cesspool of a squad filled with overpaid underperforming players that needed rooting out. He’s started to cut the fat, he needs backing in the transfer market to get the job done.

Kemizee

I've not even looked at the league table since the seasons kicked off, and as long as we aren't in the relegation zone, then I doubt really care tbh.

We're not going to do anything this year so league position didn't really matter that much, it's more about building a likeable team this year with the right personnel. Biggest thing I want to see this season though to sort scouting/tech director side out, then we can look at spending that Lukaku money.
I swear reading this angered me the more and I agree with you that first and foremost I find nothing agreeable about this bunch of players at all. Detestable lot. No application on the field and no ambitions either

RedDevilzFox

Goals cure all ailments. Apparently OGS and anyone else at Utd didn't get the memo. Sold the only senior striker at the club and now we have Jlingz, Tony and Rashy to save us the rest of the season.

Wonder if Chicharito is still around and could we bring him back. He'd have scored 2 or 3 today with all the crosses and balls coming in the box that no one bothered to get at the end of.

Mr PG

We've played 4 games this season. Four!

And that with a new backline and a team in complete rebuild stage...

I say it again. Four!
Ole out. Too many elementary mistakes and very poor game management. Never sniffs danger till we fall behind. I was begging for victor to be replaced 10 minutes before they equalized and was begging for additional midfielder against wolves before they equalized. We should be doing a lot better with Maguire and WB but instead we loan out Smalling. Degea should be benched too as well as a Rashford

steffyr2

Perfectly correct.
I am trying to forget that we actually finished 2nd the season before last.
And I am trying to forget that Jose got almost no credit for making that happen.
And I am trying to forget about all the criticism he got for not playing the 'United way'.
And I am trying to forget how the players shat on him when things got difficult.
As I have mentioned many times. It was a lost opportunity.
However, it is what it is and in the end he had to go.
And last year the choice was to back the manager, spend money to get the players he wanted, and try to do better than 2nd -- and the club and fans didn't want to do that. Acted like the money was coming from the grocery funds, in facts.
So this year, we're hoping that if we try hard, we'll make top 4. And it really doesn't look good.
What I can't understand if why the fans so wanted for the Glazers to keep more of the money and spend less on the team. It was a puzzle, but we've got what we wanted.

dove

Getting tired of people desperately looking for excuses such as squad being not good enough. We know we don’t have a team to win the league but ffs our current form is disgraceful. We managed to find a worse manager than Moyes. People still defending him are deluded.

Leftback99

Poch has a proven track record. Klopp had a proven track record. Yes I’d dismiss them as I’ve said in other topics it’s easy for teams to set up against us. We can botch up the stats but we doesn’t even look remotely close to being mentioned in the same breath as those two other teams.

As someone else said Rodgers got Leicester playing better without spending hundreds of millions yet we say nothing will change if we appoint a better manager? That’s madness mate, really it is.
If Leicester are playing such good football (i don't watch every minute of their games like you so i can't comment) maybe they have some better players than us? Like us having to buy their centre back for £80m to improve our team. Why couldn't they break Wolves at home down or beat Chelsea who we beat 4-0?

dev1l

He’s having to do the dirty work and clean up 6 years worth of mess.

Cesspool of a squad filled with overpaid underperforming players that needed rooting out. He’s started to cut the fat, he needs backing in the transfer market to get the job done.
Still early days and there s a long way to go.

My fear is that once the moaning increases, woody will pull the trigger and sack Ole.

Then we start again from scratch...

Getting a new manager every 6 months won't fix anything.

JK-27

If winning the Europa League, finishing second with the vast majority of this current squad, buying Lukaku (our top scorer for the past 2 seasons) and Pogba (on his worst day our best player), bringing in Zlatan, buying Lidelof, is creating a mess then we as fans have a very warped and disturbing opinion of what a mess is.

Leftback99

Getting tired of people desperately looking for excuses such as squad being not good enough. We know we don’t have a team to win the league but ffs our current form is disgraceful. We managed to find a worse manager than Moyes. People still defending him are deluded.
Where do you see this squad finishing under your available replacement?

Kemizee

We have signed players for around 900 million pounds since 2013. How can you make such a claim? It's not lack of money that's the root cause of per problems, it's how we spent it.
Other top clubs too have spent money wrongly at one time or the other. I will cite instances. Does City stop buying quality players because they have made a couple of wrong transfer calls? What about Real Madrid or Barca? I find it ridiculous whenever I hear that we will no longer be competitive because we have made transfer errors. Big deal! As the supposed biggest club in the world, if we had ambitious owners, we would do whatever it takes ro reposition us on the echelon of world soccer but I'm afraid we don't. They are bloody parasites!

dev1l

If Leicester are playing such good football (i don't watch every minute of their games like you so i can't comment) maybe they have some better players than us? Like us having to buy their centre back for £80m to improve our team. Why couldn't they break Wolves at home down or beat Chelsea who we beat 4-0?
Rodgers inherited a better team than Ole did. He didn't need to make massive changes. He simply fine-tuned an already functioning machine

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Biggest problem in all this has always been our fans reluctance to call the manager/club out until it’s way too late. Fans at any other big club wouldn’t accept a quarter of the nonsense we’ve had to endure.

redshaw

One thing that stood out in his good run was the midfield trio Herrera, Matic who looked on it in tandem with Pogba. Then we had the injuries and the most awful run ensued and is still going bar a lucky opening season game.

Ole can see Matic is getting past it so we needed to replace both but neglected both. We also sold our best striker without replacing. Martial might come up with the goals over the course of the season but he's just one guy, Rashford like Lingard are showing to be next to useless.

I really see the midfield was the major problem to be fixed this season. It needed fixing to emulate the middle part of last season when Ole joined and brought Herrera back in, Matic somehow had a new lease of life with Pogba able to create. We had a strong functioning midfield before the injuries. Van De Beek would've been great for Herrera and also a Matic replacement to get us back on song.

Ole needs to get Fred back, we're absolutely shite in midfield and need him. Compared to Pereira, he's an actual footballer.

Last edited:

welshwingwizard

Two lines of thought so far are either....

They’d have a bounce for a few months then crash, like ole and all the others. The managers are not the problem
Or...
I wouldn't say fire straight away but all the points above are completely true. It's embarrassing that fans are still defending what's clearly an incompetent manager and coach.
Clearly very opposite views held by fans. Unfortunately I can see this season becoming toxic in our fanbase as many fans will feel uncomfortable turning against a club legend whilst others have clearly reached the end of their tether with the mediocracy around the club since sir alex left.

Enigma_87

You know who
They are playing better compared to before Rodgers took over. Which was the main point.

90 + 5min

Completely agree. There's also a complete lack of consideration for environment, team culture, work done behind the scenes. I think a lot of people on here have a very limited insight into the kinds of things which are happening and need to happen. I think Ole's doing well so far. I won't feel that way if the club ends up outside the Top 4.
Spot on.

Lot of people tend to think with their feelings. And I don't blame them. Thats how fans react. In the heat of the moment. But if you are going for better and bigger things you got to think with your mind. Yes, it is not our best season but we are bulding. And not only our senior team but we are rebuilding from the kids. Now, there will always be people who will say that we are doing this only beacuse of Glazers. Well, we have tried with Mourinho, Moyes and van Gaal. We have given them astronomical founds. We have bought "stars" that have and still are collecting amout of money. And for what? So why not give Solskjaer a run? He is going to make misstakes. He is going to make choices that we don't like. But that is reality with every manager. I will back him until I don't see any progress. For now, he is doing well.

How can anyone still defend him :confused:

He is totally clueless!!!

No other club in the Premier League would want him as manager.......his level was Molde.

And i want to reverse my opinion about him of last week because i said "He has no game plan".....his game plan is "We need luck that our opponents are making sometimes mistakes".

3 wins out of the last 16 games!!! THREE WINS!!!

To bring on Matic and Lingard was already scandalous.

BUT....sent-off for Southampton in the 73rd minute and he has waited 9 feckin minutes to bring on another attacking player.....a good (not a great) would have made immediately a change.

I would accept such results and performances if he would give Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Chong or other young players some fair chances like Lampard at Chelsea.......but always Lingard, Mata, Matic & Young and in the next match probably Rojo & Jones.

I wouldn't cry for one second if he would be sacked tonight.
* So if you are not wanted by a more then one club in Premier League you are clueless? Must mean that there are lots of clueless managers in Premier League? You don't know what level Solskjaer is.

* Here we go again. 3 wins out of last 16. If you are going to count last season, then take all season and you can even take preseason. Because last year don't mean anything. Neither preseason.

* Absolutly correct subs. Matic giving us some stability and maturity and pushing up Pogba. While Lingard bringing pace and movement around tired Southampton players.

* Give me that good manager that would change immediately. Away from home. 1-1. Think through and reflect, not react. It's not like we were losing. And we should learn misstake from last game. Us wanting to win at all cost made us lose that game. Learn from misstakes.

* Having a team that have youngest average starting XI in 2, 3, 5 and 14 place this year in Premier League is not enough for you? Younger average then Chelsea? Only Southampton have had younger starting XI than us of all games. I'm not for or against young or old players/teams. This is only to show you that you are incorrect that Lampard is giving chance to young players and Ole is not.

Fluctuation0161

I swear reading this angered me the more and I agree with you that first and foremost I find nothing agreeable about this bunch of players at all. Detestable lot. No application on the field and no ambitions either
Alot like our senior management I.e. board level. Culture starts at the top and in our case, rolls downhill.

Enigma_87

You know who
Rodgers inherited a better team than Ole did. He didn't need to make massive changes. He simply fine-tuned an already functioning machine
Seriously? He inherited a team that finished second the year before.

Greck

As with the last 3 managers the thick as pigshite board will keep him 6 months longer than he needs to be here. The loyal to the manager crowd will enable their cluelessness. He's already started the season so I'm okay with him seeing it out. I just ask that we be able to beat sides like Wolves and Southampton enroute to finishing 6th. Is that too much to ask for? It's a very generous criteria

Kemizee

Back him. Back him to the hilt. I have to question everyone saying get rid of him and question what sort of fan really says that at this time. We’ve had 5 managers of differing experience and qualities all before him and all have failed. Oles picked up the shit end of the stick now and has to oversee the biggest phased rebuild we’ve ever had. Let him do it. It’s going to be awful doing thru it but we will be better for it long term. The biggest issue at Man United is majority of players can’t pass a ball to a team mate 5 yards away. Or can’t play one/two touch football or can’t play with their heads up. A wage deduction system for every school boy lazy mistake would sort this bunch out but it can’t happen sadly.
What rebuild exactly and how freaking long are we gonna do this rebuild? What is the scope and expectation of this rebuild? What are the owners ambitions towards this mighty rebuild? For all we know, they may be content with just 4th position. Will we ever get back to the top?

Leftback99

Biggest problem in all this has always been our fans reluctance to call the manager/club out until it’s way too late. Fans at any other big club wouldn’t accept a quarter of the nonsense we’ve had to endure.
Yes ignore the quality of the players we have on the pitch, get the manager out as soon as possible.

I swear if we swapped our squad with Salford City tomorrow people would still put all the blame on Solskjaer when we don't beat Leicester next game.

Kemizee

I have said this elsewhere, we should set Ole a target and that target should be top 4. That is the absolute minimum. If this is truly a rebuild then we have to be moving incrementally forward and not back. Top four is the barest minimum that I would expect. Any attempt to move against Ole before the end of the 2019/20 campaign would be unwise in my view. We backed an inexperienced and unproven young manager and we knew the risks. We therefore need to roll will the punches. until the end of this campaign.

That said we must hold Ole accountable for the team's performances. All of this nonsense whereby people suggest that it is not Ole's fault because the team is crap just doesn't hold water. Last season Ole performed wonders (for 12 games) with a side that is not as good as the one that he has now. It was because of that that he was offered the job. Therefore, we cannot have it both ways: blaming lack of investment for the team's under-performance, when it suits us but ignoring the fact that there was no new investment between December and April when Ole had his best spell.
Highly debatable. We have gained DJ, AWB and Maguire but also lost Romelu, Herrera, Smalling and Sanchez(fringe player though).

EwanI Ted

The other poster said he start building slowly from the back, you that he just built the attack. Historically and in reality nothing of that happened.
Given the quote I supplied was by Fergie himself, if you’re still disagreeing you’re obviously being stubborn for for the sake of it it, which I can’t be arsed with.

el3mel

:lol: No he didn't. This squad finished second the year before and people were fuming and asking us to challenge for the league and weren't content with this second spot. Then Ole went on and together with Ed fecked up the entire squad in summer by massive selling without replacing. Not having options to bring from the bench is down to both Ole and Ed's poor planning for the summer.

JK-27

Sack him. It's obvious.

Decline in team results since he was made permanent, doesn't know his best team, let Lukaku (top scorer for the past 2 seasons leave), let Sanchez go on loan, yet today says 'we lack finishing'. The players we've been told all summer are the future in attack now can't finish. And the player who did finish Ole let leave and didn't replace. And in the past 2 games when we needed goals it took Ole until at least the 80th minute to bring creative players on.

Poor management. Indecisive. Unclear.

::sonny::

Pay attention to the relegation battle, because with the United numbers in the last 15 games, you go down

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes ignore the quality of the players we have on the pitch, get the manager out as soon as possible.

I swear if we swapped our squad with Salford City tomorrow people would still put all the blame on Solskjaer when we don't beat Leicester next game.
Not really.

Also the manager is responsible to better the team during the transfer window not only the board. Say what you want the quality of what we see on the pitch is also on the manager who sold senior players to replace them with no one.

If you bring the not backed excuse we still spent a lot of money for 2 positions yet completely ignoring striker and midfield department - two areas that’s blatantly clear are the worst ones since the new season began.

You reap what you sow.

mu4c_20le

:lol: No he didn't. This squad finished second the year before and people were fuming and asking us to challenge for the league and weren't content with this second spot. Then Ole went on and together with Ed fecked up the entire squad in summer by massive selling without replacing. Not having options to bring from the bench is down to both Ole and Ed's poor planning for the summer.
He spent the entire summer trying to offload Mourinho's mistakes, our wage bill was like 1 bln/week

Keefy18

Mate, Cardiff supporters wanted him out for similar timeframe and they were relegated and in fecking Championship.
Cardiff were properly, properly fecked long before he showed up.

Are you serious that United supporters shouldn’t want better than 3 wins out of 16 games?

So far he is the worst appointment as a permanent manager in our entire history 19% win rate since made permanent.
No he isn't that's a Bull shit stat. After the Palace result he had 53% win rate.
http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/managers/mangers_pages/solskjaer_ole-gunnar.html

So what's the answer, sack him cause we aren't instantly like City or Liverpool and top of the league?

Who do we hire? This new hire, if he isn't top of the league instantly, do we sack him after 30 games as well?

Who gets the job then? Same rules apply? 30 Game sacking rule... Round and round we go!

You are telling me we live in an era that United should accept such form from any manager?
Yep we have to accept it, cause you know why... not a single manager in world football rocks into OT and meets the demands of our instant gratification supporters.

Fts 74

I don't like the start to the season like most on here.

But really?
He's working with one hand tied behind his back I struggle to see any manager fix this without some serious bumps along the way.

Pep, klopp whoever you want to name had big issues for at least a season.
We can talk about tactics all day long but one of the great tacticians in history was our manager not so long ago where did that get us?At least ole doesn't spout the bile he did he actually cares like we do.
No quick fix I'm afraid, Don the tin hats and support our manager and our disjointed team and our youngsters I might add for at least 2/3 windows before we're relevant again.
If we can pick up a trophy savour it cos if we're all honest in the glory days we didn't.

el3mel

He spent the entire summer trying to offload Mourinho's mistakes, our wage bill was like 1 bln/week
Yeah great job. Sell all the good squad option players and not replace them at all. Perfect way to build a proper squad! Then it's time to stop the lame excuses if that's what he was planning.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He is just a terrible manager. I don't know why some are in denial.

We still look poor when we get pressed. Our patterns of play are often non-existent.

His in-game adjustments are terrible. Almost every 2nd half, we look much worse than our opponent. And he makes subs too late.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.