Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

I'll repeat what I said in the match thread - little has changed, we're still a poop counter-attacking team, only now we do a bit of pressing here and there.

What I'm most concerned about is that we still seem clueless, poorly trained and not instructed as to what to do, how to attack, to move, create space etc. Pogba's absence has only reaffirmed my belief that we're not coached in attacking tactics, patterns etc, but that were utterly dependent on one man's creativity and moments of inspiration. That man being Pogba.

Take a look at Chelsea, Lampard has already gotten them to play as a unit, of course things aren't perfect, but they at least seem to be instructed by their manager as to what they're should be doing, how to move, to open spaces, created open up defences etc.

Take Poo for example, they haven't got a particularly creative middlefield, but Klopp has drilled his ideas in his players, so that their movement and attacking patterns is what eviscerates the teams they're playing against. They're not reliant on one player, take any MF or attacking player out from their team and they'll still play the same.

/Rant

opopop

I'm still in the Pro-Ole keep him camp. I can't really see myself changing from that. Though that is because I don't see us down past 6th when the league really starts taking shape.

Anyway my worry again is there is no Director of Football so regardless of who is the manager are we going to come up to January with no signings worked on?

Definitely need at least 1 or 2 in January and it's going to be hard enough to get anyone worth getting in without leaving it to Woodward to sort out.

Back To Ole, I think the only thing we can really hope for is that this season is the season we finally see the last of a bunch of the deadwood thats still there.

red4ever 79

A good sleep hasnt changed my opinion

No identity in the formation/playing style
Where is this high energy/pressing system that Ole was going to install
Poor team selections and tactical decisions
Substitutions not made soon enough

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I'm a huge Ole fan. Legend, but to those who are blaming everything but the manager and suggesting it's all down to the players and Woodward then you should think again. Ole is no Pep. No Klopp. No Poch. Ole is not even a Brendan Rogers.

To see the impact a good manager can have look at Leicester. They're not stacked with world class talent but as soon as Rogers took over their style of play changed for the better almost instantly. I'm not calling for Rogers to come here by the way or saying he is a great manager, just highlighting what a truly good manager can and should be able to do with a squad. I have seen nothing since that magical run to suggest Ole can achieve anything here and I am truly sorry to say that as I wanted Ole to succeed as much as anyone.
Yah that Leicester team would batter us. When are we playing them again?

StrettyEnder07

Hard one this, I totally support Ole and I think what he is trying to do is the right thing to do but the issue is it will take time and 3/4 windows to fully complete, the things I think he has spot on are:

Identifying who he wants rid of and is going at it hard to get rid of these players, something 3 managers previously have not been able to do.

Promoting youth/buying young hungry players who want to play for the club.

Wants to play a high energy, attacking, pressing style but needs to the players to implement it.

Having said all of that..............

We still have no style or identity, I watch us and struggle to see what we work on in training all week, slow, lackluster, lack of desire, no one seems to give a shit.

No replacement for Lukaku was not a great move, we are so short and it is plain for anyone to see that James/Rashford/Martial are all left wingers, the latter two both are not No. 9s.

Not replacing Herrera, again this has just left such a gaping hole in our midfield, it is scary.

Persisting with Matic, Mata, Lingard, nothing else needs saying on this.

As much as I am trying to give him my backing, and I do want to give him time, even to see if he can do anything in Jan (Callum Wilson/Zlatan for 6 months/Maddison/Bruno etc. anyone!)

But a few more results like yesterday and I can't see him lasting much longer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can you stop insulting posters? What are you trying to do here? Get free likes with showing how you are top red?
We get it, you disagree with everybody who thinks that Ole is wrong choice. Good for you. But insulting posters in every thread will not make your opinion about Ole more important
Didn't know likes were given for that.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The blame is not Ole but he has to take majority of the blame. We don't only look tired but not only that.. our attack is toothless, midfield cannot control a ball.

Matic cannot start any PL game.
I agree with this. I don't blame Ole completely, he has inherited the worst squad in all my time as a Utd fan. But he has to take some of the blame for the current playing style and lack of fluidity. This squad may be awful in terms of what we expect a Utd squad to be but we shouldn't forget that these are still top footballers. They wouldn't have got where they are if they couldn't control a ball or pass or shoot and score.

A better manager would be getting more out of this group no doubt!

StrettyEnder07

Can you stop insulting posters? What are you trying to do here? Get free likes with showing how you are top red?
We get it, you disagree with everybody who thinks that Ole is wrong choice. Good for you. But insulting posters in every thread will not make your opinion about Ole more important
Have to say that this new "Top Red" saying has to be the most fecking irritating thing on the internet, what the feck is a Top Red, is this match going fans?

dove

Have to say that this new "Top Red" saying has to be the most fecking irritating thing on the internet, what the feck is a Top Red, is this match going fans?
No, it's just people who think that they are better fans than others who have a different opinion. For example they think that anyone who wants Ole out is not a real United fan, idiot, or both.

romufc

I agree with this. I don't blame Ole completely, he has inherited the worst squad in all my time as a Utd fan. But he has to take some of the blame for the current playing style and lack of fluidity. This squad may be awful in terms of what we expect a Utd squad to be but we shouldn't forget that these are still top footballers. They wouldn't have got where they are if they couldn't control a ball or pass or shoot and score.

Exactly. Until last week, I was in the Ole camp giving him time. However; the last 4 results Southampton away, Leicester Home, Astana home, West Ham away we have looked very lack luster. Passing for passing sake.

He might have inherited the worst United squad but the defence is one of the best in the league ? The first touch for some of these players is shocking. Having Mata and Perreira creating chances is waste of space.

This is not the worst squad, it is the coaching which is terrible. You cannot say we are worse that West Ham, we made them look better than us by a mile.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I fully back Ole, and think he's taken some good action as manager.

What is unforgivable is not having enough bodies per position, even with the young players we are now relying on.

I'm not convinced the fault lies entirely at his feet on that front, if at all.

I would say, in the event a better manager becomes available and has a desire to manage here like Ole, then we should part company and I imagine that is almost written into his contract. He is definitely punching well above his weight here.

roonster09

Scout
I always supported Ole and still do, hopefully he will turn it around and finish in decent position (saying that I don't have much hope on him achieving that). The problem I have with the long term strategy is, we have completely disregarded short term goals. No matter how much you plan, you can't achieve big things with long term goals, without having short term results to support your case. This isn't FM where your young players will increase their CA and after 2-3 seasons, everyone will be at very good level to win trophies. Young players need leaders to guide them and set standards.

We have messed up a lot starting from Moyes appointment. For one of the biggest club in the world, with such a huge revenue the quality of squad and coaching staff is poor.

Also for some odd reason ManUtd fans are always asked to choose between 1 or the other, when as a big club we should be a complete package.
1. Results or Attacking football - It should be both but under Jose, Klopp and other teams were given as example saying "do you want attacking football that wins nothing or the pragmatic one where we can win"

2. Higher position finish in the table or progress - It should be both.

3. Long term build or results - Again it should be both.

4 Talented players or hard working players - Again it should be both. Quality players who works their socks off every game.

I haven't seen any big club that sacrificed results or league position for progress, attacking football and rebuilding.

p.s this isn't just on Ole, but thought this is more related thread.

Foxbatt

Yah that Leicester team would batter us. When are we playing them again?
We didn't actually batter them either. We won because of a penalty. They had more possession and better pass completion than us.
Rogers had coached top clubs before Leicester and has proven he is a better coach than Ole at least up to now.
We also played at OT.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hard one this, I totally support Ole and I think what he is trying to do is the right thing to do but the issue is it will take time and 3/4 windows to fully complete, the things I think he has spot on are:

Identifying who he wants rid of and is going at it hard to get rid of these players, something 3 managers previously have not been able to do.

Promoting youth/buying young hungry players who want to play for the club.

Wants to play a high energy, attacking, pressing style but needs to the players to implement it.

Having said all of that..............

We still have no style or identity, I watch us and struggle to see what we work on in training all week, slow, lackluster, lack of desire, no one seems to give a shit.

No replacement for Lukaku was not a great move, we are so short and it is plain for anyone to see that James/Rashford/Martial are all left wingers, the latter two both are not No. 9s.

Not replacing Herrera, again this has just left such a gaping hole in our midfield, it is scary.

Persisting with Matic, Mata, Lingard, nothing else needs saying on this.

As much as I am trying to give him my backing, and I do want to give him time, even to see if he can do anything in Jan (Callum Wilson/Zlatan for 6 months/Maddison/Bruno etc. anyone!)

But a few more results like yesterday and I can't see him lasting much longer.
I’m in the same boat. Seeing as the most obvious upside to Ole’s tenure has been about promoting youth and signing the right sort of player it’s starting to look as though maybe the job he should have been offered was as DoF?

Because it’s almost impossible to see any sort of positive changes related to all the other stuff you’d expect a manager to influence. Watching us play recently you just get the impression that pretty much anyone could get that sort of performance out of that bunch of players. And by “anyone” I’m including myself!

Jezpeza

Let's get it right, we came 2nd in Jose's last full season,it may an inconvenient truth for your Ole defence, but it still the truth.
Okay, and what would you make of his comments that he thought getting that finish with that squad was one of his greatest managerial achievements and then his comments at the start of the next season that he felt he hadnt got the players he wanted/needed and it was set to be a very difficult season?

romufc

No, I meant the worst Utd squad.
We could say it is but who's fault is this?

We had the chance to sign a CAM in Bruno Fernandes, he wanted to leave and Sporting would have sold.

Another body in the attacking midfield area would have been ideal for us instead of now where we are relying on Mata, James, Lingard, Perreira to create chances for us.

roonster09

Scout
We didn't actually batter them either. We won because of a penalty. They had more possession and better pass completion than us.
Rogers had coached top clubs before Leicester and has proven he is a better coach than Ole at least up to now.
We also played at OT.
If we go by possession and better pass completion then we had more possession and better pass completion in every game except vs Chelsea and Leicester.

StrettyEnder07

No, it's just people who think that they are better fans than others who have a different opinion. For example they think that anyone who wants Ole out is not a real United fan, idiot, or both.
Ah ok thanks for the explanation, was thinking if this is a pop at people who actually pay money and travel to follow United they need shooting ha

Winds me up when people try and force their opinions on others, if you want Ole out, your opinion, if you don't same again.

Volumiza

I’m in the same boat. Seeing as the most obvious upside to Ole’s tenure has been about promoting youth and signing the right sort of player
Promoting youth should only be implemented if the youths are good enough. Greenwood aside I'm not sure any of them are going to be at the level we would expect. I hope time proves me wrong though.

Because it’s almost impossible to see any sort of positive changes related to all the other stuff you’d expect a manager to influence. Watching us play recently you just get the impression that pretty much anyone could get that sort of performance out of that bunch of players. And by “anyone” I’m including myself!
Sadly I've come round to this thought as well. It is sad to see this happening to Ole but I genuinely think he's out of his depth, it's one thing to talk about pressing and high tempo but it is another to implement it.

bondsname

:lol: Ole is not gonna last here, the general atmosphere around the club is too negative. The board won't have the patience I believe he'll lose the fans completely soon. Who knows, if he is given 5 years to build his team he might build a good side, but no way he'll be given that much time.

I am all for the long term goals,l and planning for the future, but you can't completely ignore the present. Going into the season with a squad this thin is suicidal and it's all on Ole. Feck, this club is a mess right now.

StrettyEnder07

I’m in the same boat. Seeing as the most obvious upside to Ole’s tenure has been about promoting youth and signing the right sort of player it’s starting to look as though maybe the job he should have been offered was as DoF?

Haha yeah mate I'm the same, his signings have probably been our best 3 players this season, Arsenal home, Newcastle away, he has a big few weeks coming up

Wilt

I had a read through a few forums last night. A lot of teams didnt have the best of weekends. And I can say honestly, no other club has the same amount of wannabes and knee jerk fans as this forum.
Hardly knee jerk when there’s 500 pages and 20,000 mainly depressing/worried posts on this thread alone.

Yes he’s ex Utd and no one could doubt how much he loves this club, but it has to be said he’s out of his depth. I believe the board knows it, the players know it, most of the fans know it and I’m pretty sure the rest of the footballing world know it. A lot of the football since he was given the job has been truly dire and the stats seem to back that up.

Understanding it’s a rebuild process and if I genuinely thought he was the right man for the job I’d happily suffer all sorts of shite results. But I just don’t see it. It’s all very sad.

Volumiza

We could say it is but who's fault is this?

We had the chance to sign a CAM in Bruno Fernandes, he wanted to leave and Sporting would have sold.

Another body in the attacking midfield area would have been ideal for us instead of now where we are relying on Mata, James, Lingard, Perreira to create chances for us.
Ultimately the wafer thin squad is Ed's fault and we don't know what was said behind the scenes between Ole and Ed. Team shape and playing style are the managers fault though and if Ole even for one minute thought that Mata, Lingard, Perreira, Rashford, Martial, Matic, Fred and Mct were good enough to reliably get us into the top 4 then his judgement was / is very very poor.

Volumiza

I believe the board knows it, the players know it, most of the fans know it and I’m pretty sure the rest of the footballing world know it.
This is sad but I feel it's true. I doubt very much there is one single player in that dressing room that, given the choice, wouldn't rather play for a Pep or a Klopp.

Un4givableB

He made it the squad worse by letting Herrera & Lukaku leave without replacing them, he decided to keep Matic & resign Mata.

roonster09

Scout

We shouldn't do that, I mean appoint him as DoF. DoF is very important role where you need network of scouts and links with many agents and many more. If Ole is sacked, I don't see any position he fits at the club without him taking lower role like U23s head coach or something like that.

Volumiza

He made it the squad worse by letting Herrera & Lukaku leave without replacing them, he decided to keep Matic & resign Mata.
To be fair to Ole, we don't know really who was to blame for those circumstances. Maybe Ole was ok with them leaving as he thought replacements were going to be brought in, he did say that.

Foxbatt

All these managers have a much better track record than Ole. There is a reason why no top club or for that matter any decent club has hired him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol: Ole is not gonna last here, the general atmosphere around the club is too negative. The board won't have the patience I believe he'll lose the fans completely soon. Who knows, if he is given 5 years to build his team he might build a good side, but no way he'll be given that much time.

I am all for the long term goals,l and planning for the future, but you can't completely ignore the present. Going into the season with a squad this thin is suicidal and it's all on Ole. Feck, this club is a mess right now.
It is not all on Ole, however he has some part to play. The club itself are ridiculous and Woodward needs to lose his job

The main reason Ole is under pressure is because his CV didn't warrant him getting the job in the first place. Another mistake by Woodward and another reason he should be fired.

AC1689

And this is a perfect Example of a shit post I’m talking about. And there are loads of them. Please have the decency to actually watch the games. Study the line ups. Try and see what options the managers had, and even then take it a bit further, study the stats after the games. Compare them. Need I remind you Man Utd beat Rodgers one week ago? Actually pretty much nullified them, and on paper Rodgers had a better team. Reactionary and lazy fans are the worst.
This is either Ed or Ole infiltrating the forum. I just can’t decide which one.

Never heard so much tosh in all my life.

romufc

Ultimately the wafer thin squad is Ed's fault and we don't know what was said behind the scenes between Ole and Ed. Team shape and playing style are the managers fault though and if Ole even for one minute thought that Mata, Lingard, Perreira, Rashford, Martial, Matic, Fred and Mct were good enough to reliably get us into the top 4 then his judgement was / is very very poor.
Well he clearly did because he let the ones we had at the club go. I agree with the Lukaku deal in that he was not the player for United. But would we have better of keeping Sanchez as he is on loan and we are paying part of the wages anyway? Experience would have helped?

Volumiza

Well he clearly did because he let the ones we had at the club go. I agree with the Lukaku deal in that he was not the player for United. But would we have better of keeping Sanchez as he is on loan and we are paying part of the wages anyway? Experience would have helped?
Yes he did let them leave, but maybe he was convinced we would get replacements.

Noc-Z

ffs
We're currently 8th in the league. Looking at the state of our squad isn't that par for the course?

With the state of our midfield and attack maybe Ole is over-performing? I'm being facetious with that one but defence aside our squad is diabolical.

Fracture90

You think Martial is better as a 9 than as a left winger, you opinion but totally disagree.

Whats BS? A different opinion to you, wind it in
I wonder why do you think he's more suited to be a left winger?

He's strong enough to hold his own against CB's, can hold, link up and pass the ball, has very good close control and as we've seen against CP he's got tricks in his bag. Also he's quite clinical.

I'm curious to hear your reasons as to why he's better suited to be a winger.

Foxbatt

Plus he was alright in letting Fellaini go without replacing him. He didn't want Bruno as he gives the ball away too much. He didn't want Mandzukic either and wanted Dybala.
I think he is delusional if he thinks top players are queuing up to join United. He didn't even try to get Harland who is a better CF than anyone we have.
Also the more Neville and Rio try to defend Ole the more the fans would get upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.