Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's mental that people are getting into a frenzy over a game in mid April right after an massive Champions League fixture and just after another one? How many times has that defence played together before? Zero? How many times has that midfield played together before? Zero? And the attack? Once or twice?

This time of your you have to take gambles and prioritise. It's a scrappy win but we got over the line, we were due it after Arsenal and Wolves.
It's not just one result. I have not been happy since after Arsenal in the FA cup really (25th Jan). So 3 months. Since then, there have been 2 other matches where we played well in. Chelsea away in the FA cup and Fulham away on 9th Feb. Even then, let's be honest, Chelsea were in turmoil under Sarri who didn't know whether he was coming or going and Fulham are a travesty.

Performances have just been glossed over because Ole was riding the 'chosen one' wave. In truth, the performances haven't changed since Jose was here. I don't care about 'lack of rest' being the cause for the performance today. West Ham deserved to beat us today. It's not acceptable no matter what. What are we actually doing in training? We look like we're not coached properly which is completely on Ole'.

NYAS

It's threads like these that make me think the toxic boom-bust entitled attitude that comes after a period of success just is totally incurable and clubs aren't going to see any success with it until that generation of the fanbase die off or get too old to have any influence over the atmosphere around the club. It happened at Liverpool and they're finally coming out of the shadows a bit. God knows how long it will take for this lot.
It’s been an absolute fecking shit show on here lately.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As does Klopp. In fact pretty much every successful manager doesn't directly handle the training duties because clubs can afford larger teams of coaching staff to allow them to take an overview of proceedings rather than have to watch from right in the middle.

But we just had a scrappy win, so feck logic. If he's not chasing players round with a stick then he must not be doing his job properly.
Exactly. :lol:

I expected this to happen though, because he came with no high profile success before he would be under enormous amount of scrutiny for most of the fans here.

It would have been same with Zidane though. First defeat and ‘he can’t do this without a world class team’.

Pochettino is probably the only manager who could be crap for two years here and most of Caf would still adore him.

There is a group of fans here that I feel are just waiting for us to play badly so they can come with their ‘I told you soes’.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Okay the players need to be cleared off that's for sure. I'm not sure about him being a competent coach relative to our expectations though. Since he took Spurs by surprise (which we probably should have lost), has he come up with any similar ideas since then? I can't say he has. That's worrying for me. He needs to show he's capable of competing vs the top end coaches. Even Pellegrini manages mid-table West-Ham nowadays. It's no walk in the park. He's not going to get by on romanticism alone.
I'd be very surprised if a manager that is competing with City and Liverpool wasn't competent. He has maintained a 2.375 points per game over 16 games in the league (90 points over a season), and the major black mark against him is the loss in the FA cup. This is in his first season with none of his players, I think he deserves a pre-season and transfer window at least.

We completely outplayed Arsenal only for us to miss sitter after sitter. They got a freak goal and undeserved penalty to win the game. Many people have erased that from their memories because it was a loss.

AndyJ1985

As does Klopp. In fact pretty much every successful manager doesn't directly handle the training duties because clubs can afford larger teams of coaching staff to allow them to take an overview of proceedings rather than have to watch from right in the middle.

But we just had a scrappy win, so feck logic. If he's not chasing players round with a stick then he must not be doing his job properly.
Would love to see Ole chasing players around with a stick. It'd be more entertaining than the football we play

C'est Moi Cantona

Jesus christ, bringing young attacking players on to try and win the game (and winning it) isn't good enough now? How happy were you when it was Fellaini coming on?

Bringing on Rashford and Greenwood was literally the right thing to do tactically in that situation. Of all the things to moan about that has to be the most utterly, incomprehensibly stupid.
Funny, my point is that whatever he is doing isn't really working, we were poor today, and very lucky, and Ole seems out of ideas just now.

SteveW

We really do have some crap supporters. This thread is pathetic.

Remember where we were when he took over. Account for all the injuries. And still complain.

He's done great just to get us into contention. He clearly knows what he wants in terms of the squad. I think he'll absolutely smash it once he's had a transfer window and a preseason with the players.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jose Mourinho and Louis Van Gaal looked out of ideas and they know the playbook off by heart. The players at your disposal often limit what you can do on the pitch.

arthurka

Utterly embarrassing forum.
Yes indeed..
What do you lot want?

We are playing Barca on tuesday.. The squad is limited and just throwing random youth players into the deep end could actually damage more than it helps.

His tactis have been good but not great, his subs ok not great. But our results in the league are the best since he took over.

Rojo is shit we know it Ole does to.

There is a saying I think its from Ghandi : ”It takes time, patience and skill to turn chicken shit into a chicken salad.„

What we need to do is to trust Ole and Mike to make the changes needed, I have faith that they will be ruthless when needed. Some of you need to get a grip.

AndersB

Jesus christ, bringing young attacking players on to try and win the game (and winning it) isn't good enough now? How happy were you when it was Fellaini coming on?

Bringing on Rashford and Greenwood was literally the right thing to do tactically in that situation. Of all the things to moan about that has to be the most utterly, incomprehensibly stupid.
It wasn't the right thing though. We were being slaughtered in midfield by Declan Rice at that point. He should have brought on McTominay to try to win that battle first. Pogba was atrocious at that point, and should probably have been hauled. We fluked a goal through that West Ham mistake, and it sort of "worked", but I disagree with the priority. Bringing Rash on was alright, though, and he played pretty well today.

JustAGuest

This thread is a pretty miserable read right now. No reason to turn on him now as he will obviously be here come next season. It does feel as if some here are looking for any chance to have a go at him.

Anyway, give him the summer to form his own squad and there will be no excuses come next season.

Savantona

The number one thing Ole has to change for next season in terms of playing style, is off the ball movement. Many players seem to be lacking confidence, but that will come if we actually start making chances, and that only comes if they move their stupid asses once in a while.

Dion

It wasn't the right thing though. We were being slaughtered in midfield by Declan Rice at that point. He should have brought on McTominay to try to win that battle first. Pogba was atrocious at that point, and should probably have been hauled. We fluked a goal through that West Ham mistake, and it sort of "worked", but I disagree with the priority. Bringing Rash on was alright, though, and he played pretty well today.
Pogba who played the key pass that earned us the penalty? Yeah drag him off and bring on McTominay. If the game is end to end and you're 1-1 with 15 minutes to go you don't bring on a defensive midfielder, you fecking go for it.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'd be very surprised if a manager that is competing with City and Liverpool wasn't competent. He has maintained a 2.375 points per game over 16 games in the league (90 points over a season), and the major black mark against him is the loss in the FA cup. This is in his first season with none of his players, I think he deserves a pre-season and transfer window at least.

We completely outplayed Arsenal only for us to miss sitter after sitter. They got a freak goal and undeserved penalty to win the game. Many people have erased that from their memories because it was a loss.
I remember the Arsenal match but equally, we have been fortunate in a lot of results though. We want to be careful to not be results orientated. Looking at the matches game by game. The actual football on display is not good imo. There's a lack of ideas in our play.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Wasn’t a good day at the office for the manager. We looked very disjointed and the changes baffled frankly. Lukaku looked our most promising outlet second half, yet we pulled him for Greenwood, who offered sweet FA, but who is a kid ultimately. Again we just threw forwards at the problem, which for me is the sign of a weak manager. If playing with an overload of attackers was the best way to win matches then you’d start games like that.

The real issue was not controlling the game and being able to exert concerted pressured. Instead of putting more forwards on, we should have pulled one and put an extra body in midfield. We never addressed that and really got lucky to escape with a win.

Dion

Funny, my point is that whatever he is doing isn't really working, we were poor today, and very lucky, and Ole seems out of ideas just now.
Funnily the two players most people were calling to drag off were instrumental in us scoring the winner.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Everyones got an opinion but obviously we don't see the players during the week. We don't know how they feel etc etc. The players have to believe in themselves and it's going to take awhile. We have not many games left to go. In a way our recent struggles regarding performance show our mental weakness. Because before then everyone got confidence out of being told your good enough. It's almost not worth dissecting every game, every moment. We just have to push forward as hard as we can and get over the line. This squad is capable (in the league at least) of being most teams 9/10. Herrera is a big miss, I think he was playing well but the players need to recapture that attacking spirit

Dion

It's not just one result. I have not been happy since after Arsenal in the FA cup really (25th Jan). So 3 months. Since then, there have been 2 other matches where we played well in. Chelsea away in the FA cup and Fulham away on 9th Feb. Even then, let's be honest, Chelsea were in turmoil under Sarri who didn't know whether he was coming or going and Fulham are a travesty.

Performances have just been glossed over because Ole was riding the 'chosen one' wave. In truth, the performances haven't changed since Jose was here. I don't care about 'lack of rest' being the cause for the performance today. West Ham deserved to beat us today. It's not acceptable no matter what. What are we actually doing in training? We look like we're not coached properly which is completely on Ole'.
We had 14 shots today. We've very clearly changed how we play since Mourinho. Your entire post is totally daft. Have you watched Liverpool or City lately? They look knackered and badly coached too. Do people just not have memories longer than 3 months or something? The end of the season is always a shit show.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Wasn’t a good day at the office for the manager. We looked very disjointed and the changes baffled frankly. Lukaku looked our most promising outlet second half, yet we pulled him for Greenwood, who offered sweet FA, but who is a kid ultimately. Again we just threw forwards at the problem, which for me is the sign of a weak manager. If playing with an overload of attackers was the best way to win matches then you’d start games like that.

The real issue was not controlling the game and being able to exert concerted pressured. Instead of putting more forwards on, we should have pulled one and put an extra body in midfield. We never addressed that and really got lucky to escape with a win.
It wasn't an overload of attackers if you take one attacker off for another. If we couldn't control the midfield, our players were either over run or didn't work as hard cause even as an attacker you can drop deep and support midfield. We don't have amazing depth at the minute in midfield. We're short in many areas and when a team has momentum often times it's hard to stem the flow without the experience and without giving your opponents something to think about.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I remember the Arsenal match but equally, we have been fortunate in a lot of results though. We want to be careful to not be results orientated. Looking at the matches game by game. The actual football on display is not good imo. There's a lack of ideas in our play.
Football is a results business. Liverpool have had a lack of ideas for months but are still winning games. Very rarely will you get a manager that gives you 90+ points and consistent good performances. Barcelona don't do it, Juventus don't do it. Man City are the closest thing to it, but they have spent ludicrous amounts and have one of the best modern managers.

Dion

Football is a results business. Liverpool have had a lack of ideas for months but are still winning games. Very rarely will you get a manager that gives you 90+ points and consistent good performances. Barcelona don't do it, Juventus don't do it. Man City are the closest thing to it, but they have spent ludicrous amounts and have one of the best modern managers.
People have forgotten what an actually good football team looks like week in week out because they don't watch anything but United games. They think every game you're slugging teams for 2-3 goals.

Trophy Room

I like Ole, I think he knows what he is doing. His post match press conference was very insightful. Just needs time.

JustAGuest

It's perfectly normal to bring on attackers as you need a goal towards the end of the game. Teams don't start games like that because it's a defensively risky tactic.

Sarni

This thread is a pretty miserable read right now. No reason to turn on him now as he will obviously be here come next season. It does feel as if some here are looking for any chance to have a go at him.

Anyway, give him the summer to form his own squad and there will be no excuses come next season.
They are. And I bet you those fans do not even want him to have good Summer and prove himself next year, some of them are just hoping he continues to be crap so they can moan and then gets the boot. That’s why it’s hard to go into this part of forum these days, people just want to complain.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
People have forgotten what an actually good football team looks like week in week out because they don't watch anything but United games. They think every game you're slugging teams for 2-3 goals.
I agree. For some reason there is an impossible standard on this forum. Sometimes you play well, sometimes you play bad, sometimes you win or lose when doing it. Points and trophies is what matters in the end. Winning while playing badly is usually a good thing, but it is turned into a bad thing on here.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It's perfectly normal to bring on attackers as you need a goal towards the end of the game. Teams don't start games like that because it's a defensively risky tactic.
You can perhaps do it when you are controlling the game and want more of your better finishers for crosses to fall to, but it’s a naive thing to do when you can’t even get forward. Chance creation is far more important than just having better finishers on the pitch.

Sarni

I agree. For some reason there is an impossible standard on this forum. Sometimes you play well, sometimes you play bad, sometimes you win or lose when doing it. Points and trophies is what matters in the end. Winning while playing badly is usually a good thing, but it is turned into a bad thing on here.
Indeed. It’s like we were slaughtering everyone 5-0 every week with Fergie.

Snafu17

Were clueless at everything at the minute though. I wonder what we do in training. Him being here 3 months is no excuse. For instance, LVG had us drilled much more confidently within a few weeks of pre-season. So it can be done if you have competent coaches.
That's demonstrably false. We were great in preseason only to shit the bed when the actual season started. We won three out of the first 10 games under LVG. His start was anything but smooth .

Dion

You can perhaps do it when you are controlling the game and want more of your better finishers for crosses to fall to, but it’s a naive thing to do when you can’t even get forward. Chance creation is far more important than just having better finishers on the pitch.
Not with 15 minutes left it isn't. You might only get one chance based on bad luck or the flow of the game. You have to maximise your chance of putting it in the net.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
We had 14 shots today. We've very clearly changed how we play since Mourinho. Your entire post is totally daft. Have you watched Liverpool or City lately? They look knackered and badly coached too. Do people just not have memories longer than 3 months or something? The end of the season is always a shit show.
Of course i watch Liverpool and City sometimes, not all the time as it's too depressing for me to see how far we've fallen behind. Come on, they're completely different. Their build up & general play is levels above us. I wouldn't have as much criticism about our play this time of the year if we already had a body of work where we've played well. But today is more of the same. Nothing is changing.

Dion

That's demonstrably false. We were great in preseason only to shit the bed when the actual season started.
@Majima must be on drugs. Rolling over some pre-season and US teams isn't the same as actually playing a battle hardened team midseason.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Indeed. It’s like we were slaughtering everyone 5-0 every week with Fergie.
Any fan expecting us to dominate the vast majority of our games will never be happy. It just doesn't happen. I'd say the last time we did that was in 2008, it takes a special team to do that.

Mcking

I don’t think it has much to do with whoever does the coaching.
I think it's got a lot to do with how well the coaching is being done by those the duty is delegated to. If the team is showing next to no cohesion on the pitch, then it is on the coaching team, led by the head coach.

Dion

Of course i watch Liverpool and City sometimes, not all the time as it's too depressing for me to see how far we've fallen behind. Come on, they're completely different. Their build up & general play is levels above us. I wouldn't have as much criticism about our play this time of the year if we already had a body of work where we've played well. But today is more of the same. Nothing is changing.
Have you watched Liverpool play at all since Christmas? They're playing dreadfully (in the league). They just have a much sounder base playing out from the back. Compare that to what they were doing before Christmas and it's not even close.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looking at our matches individually and game by game performance wise since Ole took over, we've been the 3rd best side in the league I'd say. Which is fair and probably the best we can hope out of this set of players without fixing the big issues we have.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah the standards are really too high. Although the way we play as a team is not very much in unity. We seem to play very much as individuals a lot and that is very much hit and miss.
Ole seems like a very flexible manager to be honest, but it can be a problem. If you want to work on multiple tactics, ideas and so on it will reduce the amount of time you can spend on each part. Also some of the players might not be as flexible and quick to learn these different ideas so it can take some time.

For me I would try to improve the way we press teams in the future. Maybe it is just better fitness that is needed. It is in theory fairly easy to work on tactically in different formations. Spurs is a team that does this really well even without players with the biggest workrate and is a big reason why Pochettino gets so much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.