Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

16 games, 12 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats (to Arsenal and Wolves). 2.4 points per game, 90 points per season form. A few bad performances where we scrape out a win (after a few good ones where we didn't) and now people are feeling qualified to call him out of his depth.

I cannot fathom the arrogance of anyone who thinks they have the required information to make that claim.
If he keeps that up next season, I'll be amazed.

Plenty of interim managers have had good runs during a half-season.

ArjenIsM3

You could argue that scrappy wins are part of any top team's campaign, but you cannot dispute that there are some serious underlying issues after another addition to our recent string of poor performances.

Like someone said earlier in the thread - our talented players lack the effort, our hardworkers aren't talented enough, and then there are those who lack both. Our squad has been getting worse season by season over the last decade, and there has been a systemic failure at the highest level which prevented us from stopping the rot. It is very apparent that we are run more like a marketing business at this stage rather than a football club. It shows in the players, in shows in our decisions, it shows in our squad management and it shows on the pitch.

I had a brief glimmer of hope that we'd make top four this season, enabling us to compete at the top level again. Ole seemed to have the squad reinvigorated and united for a push. But over the last month - with the fatigue kicking in, the injuries stacking up, contracts approaching expiry/renewal, and our momentum dropping off - we have clearly lost focus and points. It is quite unlikely, once more, that we're going to make the cut.

I really hope the club is prioritizing the acquisition of footballing people to decide and implement a long term vision by working with the manager and shaping the squad accordingly. Director of Football, Technical Director, Talent Acquisition Head - whatever fancy title they come up with. Ole on his own is going to get sacked by next December if he has to keep most of this squad, or have just Woody and his invisible cast of motley fools doing the transfers again.

We need to undo more than six years of poor vision and management, and to achieve that we need to stop corroding our squad even more than it already has been. The last thing we want is another summer of mega spending on all the wrong transfer targets. I don't expect a new Ole/DoF combo to start giving us Ronaldos and Vidics again - I just want them to stop spamming the squad with signings that hurt our balance.

Ole will not succeed unless changes are made at a higher level - it's as simple as that.
Fully agree

Dion

If he keeps that up next season, I'll be amazed.

Plenty of interim managers have had good runs during a half-season.
I also don't think he'll hit 90 points next season, but I don't think that's a realistic target for him either. A target of 80-85 points is what we should be looking at next year unless we have a genuinely amazing transfer window.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not with 15 minutes left it isn't. You might only get one chance based on bad luck or the flow of the game. You have to maximise your chance of putting it in the net.
Putting what chances in the back of the net? We weren't creating any because we weren’t in control of the game and able to progress into West Ham’s final third.

This is the same fallacy that has people believe that the best goalscorers are those that are most clinical. Ronaldo, Messi and co score the most every season because they create, and have created for them, the most chances.

Dion

Putting what chances in the back of the net? We weren't creating any because we weren’t in control of the game and able to progress into West Ham’s final third.

This is the same fallacy that has people believe that the best goalscorers are those that are most clinical. Ronaldo, Messi and co score the most every season because they create, and have created for them, the most chances.
Actually, the idea that it's a fallacy is a fallacy. I've addressed this issue before on this forum actually

No actually. Mo Salah had for the last 4 seasons before this one, Leroy Sane has for 4 out of the last 5 seasons, so has Lacazette, Kane does it every year, Song has done it every year but his first at Spurs, Eden Hazard has done it for the last 5 years, Suarez did it for 5 years straight before age caught up with him, Antoine Griezmann has done it 5 years in a row, Nabil Fekir has done it 5 years in a row, Dybala has done it 4 years in a row, Icardi did it 4 years in a row, Ciro Immobile has done it 3 years in a row at Lazio, Higuain did it 4 years in a row. And those are just stats from players who did it in the last 5 years.

Messi has scored 165 league goals in the last 5 seasons with an xG of 137. Kane has 120 with an xG of 101. That's almost the exact same level of over-performance over the same time period. Eden Hazard has over-performed even more than both.
Most top strikers finish chances at a better rate than their quality and quantity of chances would suggest.

And part of "chance creation" is having players in the right areas to pass to. Forwards are better at that than other players, ensuring that you have players to get on the end of any chance you do create is incredibly important. You'll notice in '99 we finished with 3 strikers on the pitch despite being totally incapable of getting hold of the game and imposing any kind of control. There's a reason for that and a reason why even though we joke about "striker overload" it actually works so frequently.

Canagel

I've just seen it and it relaxes me a lot that he recognizes the flaws of the team today and he isn't happy. With some other managers we would be hearing how fine we did because we won and everything is perfect.

The man is saying that we didn't have enough control and it was like a basketball game at times, we were far too open and didn't press well at all. That's exactly what I was criticizing in the last page and I thought it was the intention to play an open risky game, dividing the team in two and giving freedom to attackers. But it seems it wasn't the plan. A bit concerning anyway that he can't make the team play without those problems, but at least we know he isn't pleased with that crazy open style and will find solutions to make us more compact. That's the first step.

He says something interesting too:

"We didn't manage to press them and we were wide open in midfield. Fred and Paul played well but they didn't have the protection and we didn't get to the pressing."

"We need to look at that at home, that we manage to be braver in the pressing, step up from the back and expend more energy higher up."

He doesn't look happy with the way the players are operating on the field and I think he's identifying certain issues and insecurities. This summer will be crucial to remove the negative elements in the squad and sign people with the right mentality.

At this point it feels like the man is trying to grab results in one way or another, but surely after pre-season we'll start to see more clear patterns of play. So it's a matter of time that he moulds the team introducing more capable personnel, and instilling the right mentality and tactics. Until he gets all this together we need to be patient I guess.
Tbh I don't even care anymore about the performance this season. We saw what the ideal football looked like and then we regressed after the injury crisis. Obviously we need to play well enough for top 4 but I'm not fussed about the details if we get the 3 points. People are moaning for today but we played better in other games creating gilt edged chances, missed and lost.
It's all about scraping the top 4 with other managers players (we had no right for it) and start the rebuilding job in earnest.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Have you watched Liverpool or City lately? They look knackered and badly coached too. Do people just not have memories longer than 3 months or something? The end of the season is always a shit show.
Tends to be, true.

Anyway, to over analyze this particular match certainly seems unnecessary. It's sandwiched between two legs against feckin' Barcelona, with us still in with a hope (of sorts). He needed to rest a number of players for this one. Our rotation options aren't that great. I see people dismissing the "but what else can he do?" argument, but it actually has some merit. What alternatives are there to using Rojo when Dalot is playing too? Ashley Young? Yeah, that would've been popular, I'm sure. Darmian? Very popular choice too, no doubt, plus he wasn't fully fit (as stated by Ole himself). Throw in a kid? Our reasonable and patient fans would surely have been very understanding if said kid went on to have a bit of a stinker.

And, yeah, unless I was dreaming we did end up winning the match. Three points is all that matters in an affair like that.

AndyMUFC

Well we played exactly like under Mourinho today. Not a coincidence is it? Hopefully he gets backing in the summer.

The Nani

Think Ole is a victim of his own success at the moment. He came into the job and did so well over the first couple of months that we're now in a top four race we have no business being in. I imagine with that prospect on the table he feels compelled to trust experience and players who have done it before. If we were still nowhere near top four, I imagine we'd see more youngsters involved in preparation for next season.

But that's an important point as well. He's still assessing the squad while trying to maintain results. It's a big ask for a guy who's only been in the job four months to be discussing contract renewals and transfer target prospects for next season. I imagine he's felt overwhelmed more than once. That's just the situation and how it's panned out.

The simple fact of the matter is he isn't a miracle worker. He can't just wave his wand and make Lukaku fitter, Martial less complacent or Lingard talented. Not overnight at least. Some of that is purely on the players or those who brought in or retained those players before Ole's arrival. Our squad is rife with bang average players who think they're Manchester United quality, and Ole can't address any of it until the transfer window opens.

Again, the guy has been in the job a whole four months. And people are already discussing his successor and saying he's out of his depth after the first patch of poor form. Ridiculous.

Un4givableB

16 games, 12 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats (to Arsenal and Wolves). 2.4 points per game, 90 points per season form. A few bad performances where we scrape out a win (after a few good ones where we didn't) and now people are feeling qualified to call him out of his depth.

I cannot fathom the arrogance of anyone who thinks they have the required information to make that claim.

OSG had a record in the EPL before he became our caretaker manager, that record is why he was managing in Norway.

Managers like Pellegrini, Benitez, Emery, Nuno & even Eddie Howe must scoff at the idea that OSG would somehow out coach them, they might lose to us because we have players they can only dream about but it's not
fear of being out coached they worry about.

meamth

Exactly my thoughts.

We came back from a shyte season, what more do they want?

Invincible form? Treble?

We're lucky enough to see them salvage that gap between 4th, and here we are now reading posts about how shit we are since Ole was appointed.

SER19

We’re going to have to grind through the rest of this season and fans need to bloody relax and give him credit. We were an absolute shell when he took over, playing some awful stuff with most players playing with zero confidence and many with an eye on the door. To have us in contention is a minor miracle.

There is enough to still be buzzing about next season. Fred and McTominay look like they might grow more and more into team, and guys like dalot, shaw, rashford have shown the energy we want to see. There’s a good core there that he has a window to build on. Hes shown he won’t leave a player on the pitch for reputation alone and is yet to have a summer with his team.

At the moment he has to try balance improving with grinding out wins. With a few games left it frankly doesn’t matter how we get points. He simply can’t be judged until he’s had a summer and a transfer window.

ManRed

Exactly my thoughts.

We came back from a shyte season, what more do they want?

Invincible form? Treble?

We're lucky enough to see them salvage that gap between 4th, and here we are now reading posts about how shit we are since Ole was appointed.
Guess the previous appointments have scarred the fans so much, a few bad games and fear has sunk in for next season already.

Jib

What I cannot fathom is why Pogba rarely makes those late runs into the box anymore? It hasn't happened since he got man marked by Marquinhos! I'm guessing that's Ole's decision rather than Pogba wanting out by playing poorly in a deeper position
Pogba played as AM before the injury crisis. Since then he plays as CM and even sometimes DM. Not the same role.

MrSingh2002

Ole's clearly killing the players in training. None of them look fresh. Energy players like Martial, Lingard and Rashford look noticeably leggy.

There's obviously a method to his madness and it's probably caused Klopp like effects. Hopefully it bears fruit in the long run but at the moment only Fred and McTominay appear to have real energy and that's because they hardly play.

Might've been an idea to ramp up the fitness and training over a longer period of time or maybe a tweak is required for players to taper off before a game leaving some freshness in their legs. Eager to see how this pans out.. at the moment it's just injuries and flat performances.

AndersB

Pogba who played the key pass that earned us the penalty? Yeah drag him off and bring on McTominay. If the game is end to end and you're 1-1 with 15 minutes to go you don't bring on a defensive midfielder, you fecking go for it.
I am talking about around the 65 minute mark. We were losing the ball in midfield all the time, and Lanzini was ripping us a new one (another stroke of luck that he went off injured). Pogba wasn't contributing much, if at all. His assist was clearly quite fortunate. But anyway, the main point was to do something about that midfield. If football were so easy that chasing a goal always meant adding an attacker, every man and his dog could be a manager. In terms of the dynamics of the game, it is almost as if we were defending a 1-1, too, more than looking for the second (though clearly the result would have been unacceptable).

We were bailed out BIGtime by luck yesterday. More so than great substitutions, that's for sure. Fantastic that we were though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People keep saying how Ole will develop younger players, problem with that is he isn't managing the kids side any longer, where it is just your job to develop the players. The pressure in that job is not the same as managing the first team where results are everything.
SAF had the CO92, but more importantly he has Eric Harrison developing them as players and mentally as people. I am not sure our kids are being readied for the first team under Ricky Sbragia. The CO92 were tough mentally, young players now just seem to cower under the spotlight.
I probably haven't worded this very well. Young players now get rewarded far too early when they have not really achieved anything, getting in the first team seems enough to get mega wages, when surely scoring a certain number of goals, winning trophies etc should be the incentives. It would be choosing which young players have ambition, want to be the best, not just those who think coming to Manchester United is the goal. That should just be the start.
Ole really does need someone working closely with him to decide who are the right players, because I would not want the board doing it as they have indulged too many managers to the detriment of the club.

Last edited:

Celoti23-81

Pogba played as AM before the injury crisis. Since then he plays as CM and even sometimes DM. Not the same role.
Yeah, but why? We have always had a 3 man midfield regardless of injuries. He never got into the box against Barcelona either and we had Fred and Scott in midfield

Fracture90

My biggest concern about Ole is whether he's a motivator or tactician type of manager? The best we played under him was on his debut when we smashed Cardiff (albeit the worst team in the league at that point in time) when he himself admitted he had little to no input in tactics and lineup for that match since he was literally just appointed and the people that had set that match up were Carrick and McKenna.

That being said it will be interesting to see what will he be able to so with this squad after he's had a summer transfer window.

Giggsyking

What I am annoyed of is that every manager comes with his own favorite players and they play weather they are good or they are shitting all over the place.

Roboc7

I don't agree with this. Its a cop-out to me. If you have the right manager and have clear ideas, of course you can achieve success the following season.

Look back at 2005 when we crashed out to Benfica in the CL. We were a travesty that season with people calling for SAF to step down. We had a dull ageing team, lacking ideas. We were playing Silvestre, Smith & Richardson etc. He then replaced Keane & RVN with Carrick & Ronaldo. Bought in Vidic & Evra.

The rest was history, we were completely transformed the next season so it's about being ruthless and having the right people in place.
City have raised the bar though that’s the problem, going from where we are now to overtaking them isn’t going to happen.

The title winning team of 2007 was put together over a period of time and Chelsea weren’t as good as they had been the previous two seasons. It’s at least two summers of rebuilding before we’ll compete.

The focus has to be on building a team now not trying to chase an almost impossible dream of winning the league next year. Ole needs to do what Pep did at City, dismantle the squad and given the resources and competence available to Ole he would have to work a miracle to do that in one summer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ole's clearly killing the players in training. None of them look fresh. Energy players like Martial, Lingard and Rashford look noticeably leggy.

There's obviously a method to his madness and it's probably caused Klopp like effects. Hopefully it bears fruit in the long run but at the moment only Fred and McTominay appear to have real energy and that's because they hardly play.

Might've been an idea to ramp up the fitness and training over a longer period of time or maybe a tweak is required for players to taper off before a game leaving some freshness in their legs. Eager to see how this pans out.. at the moment it's just injuries and flat performances.
I don't have a problem with him 'killing' the players in training. Hardly his fault that the players were underworked big time by the previous dinosaurs. He needed to go in hard because his preferred tactics demand high energy levels.

One of the main reasons I'm positive about Ole is that he has a no nonsense approach towards fitness and the levels required for Man Utd players. He has spoken a fair bit about United being 'survival of the fittest'. If he's allowed to be ruthless in the summer he will get rid of the passengers. Just hope the clown(s) in charge open their wallets because this squad needs a major overhaul.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Some of you guys are delusional.

http://solskjaertabellen.com/en.html

Just a reminder.
First 16 games last season: Won 11, drew 2 and lost 3. Scored 35 and conceded 11. Pts: 35.

In truth, nothing has changed from last season. We're the same team we were under Mourinho. Playing somewhat crap football when still capable of winning. The only issue is can Ole improve the football whilst maintaining a similar set of results.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
First 16 games last season: Won 11, drew 2 and lost 3. Scored 35 and conceded 11. Pts: 35.

In truth, nothing has changed from last season. We're the same team we were under Mourinho. Playing somewhat crap football when still capable of winning. The only issue is can Ole improve the football whilst maintaining a similar set of results.
Something a lot won't like hearing, but Moaninho got this team to near peak performance last season. It's just his shambolic 3rd season that tends to make people think otherwise. Our squad make-up is that of a defensive counter attacking team. It was lacking a few pieces last season and with two unproven signings the same is the case under Ole.

Apparently we have offered Mata a new contract, which is further evidence that the we are going to repeat the same mistakes and having similar conversations in 2-3 years with a new manager.

fallengt

Some of you guys are delusional.

http://solskjaertabellen.com/en.html

Just a reminder.
Cherry picked stat. Come back when he has 50 games or so. What am I seeing now is slightly improved crap attacking football we've seen in the last 4 seasons.
Lie, damn lie and statistics. Didn't Mourinho has least conceded behind city in his 2nd second? Everyone said our defense was great despite him telling us it wasn't true?

Dion

OSG had a record in the EPL before he became our caretaker manager, that record is why he was managing in Norway.

Managers like Pellegrini, Benitez, Emery, Nuno & even Eddie Howe must scoff at the idea that OSG would somehow out coach them, they might lose to us because we have players they can only dream about but it's not
fear of being out coached they worry about.
Then why has Emery been out coached twice?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Cherry picked stat. Come back when he has 50 games or so. What am I seeing now is slightly improved crap attacking football we've seen in the last 4 seasons.
Lie, damn lie and statistics. Didn't Mourinho has least conceded behind city in his 2nd second? Everyone said our defense was great despite him telling us it wasn't true?
Should have gone to specsavers.

JustAGuest

The underlying statistics actually had our defense as fairly poor last season. Far from everyone thought it was great.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Our defence was great last season??? I had heart palpitations every time we had to defend a set piece! Our poor defence meant we had to constantly play from behind, and De Gea was busy in many many games.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not what I remember. In fact, the very opposite seemed to be the tune most were singing, i.e. that it was mainly DDG's heroics which boosted our GA stat. Even people who detested Jose basically agreed with him that we needed defensive upgrades, both in the middle and - not least - at RB.

The same is true still. Like I've said before, if OGS is fine with our current options at the back, he's either a genius or completely out of his depth.

I'm sure he's after a new CB, though.

fallengt

It was the consensus in the summer, when he wanted to buy 2 more defenders but Caf used GA to argue that area was the least of our problem.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Reminds me on Jose. Jose had his awful moments after the game but pre game it was always good. Nice words, we must do that and this, we will do this and that and when game comes it is total disaster. Same is with Ole. He says nice things before game, fans go crazy and in the game we see same shit over and over again.

Where is that attacking football? He is here 4 months and i don't see any pattern in attack. We score after counters and that is it. When other team stays in defensive shape we look lost. Against West Ham and Watford most of times when Pogba had the ball he couldn't pass to any player. They all were too static. And i am maybe wrong here but i have a feeling that we play on long balls even more than we played it under Mourinho.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Apart from us picking up more points, having more shots and being superior defensively, we are probably quite similar to Mourinho you're right.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
A lot of you need to take a chill pill, go buy/download Football Manager 2019 and set us up to play whatever you fancy. Real life is much more harder and we are trying our best atm. There's a lot to improve on within the personality and within game play.

JustAGuest

I know not everyone is a fan of expected goals but I think it's interesting to look at it anyway and see how Ole and Mourinho compare. The numbers are taken from understat.com...

Mourinho 17/18 (38 games)
xG 1.55
xGA 1.15
xPts 1.64

Mourinho 18/19 (17 games)
xG 1.66
xGA 1.56
xPts 1.41

Solskjaer 18/19 (16 games)
xG 2.17
xGA 1.23
xPts 1.98

From this it becomes clear that Solskjaer is doing better than Mourinho, even if compared with Mourinho's best season at the club. Lastly, let's look at Liverpool and City this season for an indication of what type of level is required to challenge for the league. The noticeable difference is that they are much stronger defensively.

Liverpool 18/19 (33 games)
xG 2.09
xGA 0.75
xPts 2.21

Man City 18/19 (32 games)
xG 2.58
xGA 0.70
xPts 2.42

Reactions: Ødegaard

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Something a lot won't like hearing, but Moaninho got this team to near peak performance last season. It's just his shambolic 3rd season that tends to make people think otherwise. Our squad make-up is that of a defensive counter attacking team. It was lacking a few pieces last season and with two unproven signings the same is the case under Ole.

Apparently we have offered Mata a new contract, which is further evidence that the we are going to repeat the same mistakes and having similar conversations in 2-3 years with a new manager.
It's a good squad, don't get me wrong. As you say, just needs some improvements and we should be challenging.
Apart from us picking up more points, having more shots and being superior defensively, we are probably quite similar to Mourinho you're right.
In your world, do they teach about numbers and mathematics? Well, in our world, the number 35 is higher than 34 and 11 is lower than 15 i.e. we had scored more and conceded less.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's a good squad, don't get me wrong. As you say, just needs some improvements and we should be challenging.

In your world, do they teach about numbers and mathematics? Well, in our world, the number 35 is higher than 34 and 11 is lower than 15 i.e. we had scored more and conceded less.
Just out of interest, do you think we’d have scored as many, conceded as little and have as many points if Mourinho had stayed?

Don’t just whip out the very best spell of Mourinho’s time here. He was completely shit for the club. Ole has been ten times better without being able to sign anyone and having worse injury problems.

fallengt

My point is it's a phase. If you compare to Mourinho's first 15 matches last season, the results are quite similar, 11wins-2draws- 2loses, 35 GF- 9 GA. Sure first half of this season was a disaster for Mourinho but it isn't my point.

You need larger sample size because that's how statistics work. See how easy is it to form "facts" which biased stats? Everyone can do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.