Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

3 away wins within a week is good and commendable but it could all turn back into what it was a few weeks ago again. We've had plenty of false dawns before.

I'm still concerned about the style of play, especially when most of our matches don't suit his current play style he employs.

settembrini

Very good subs and tactical switch tonight.

I get the impression that some people are a bit annoyed that our results have improved.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
3 away wins within a week is good and commendable but it could all turn back into what it was a few weeks ago again. We've had plenty of false dawns before.

I'm still concerned about the style of play, especially when most of our matches don't suit his current play style he employs.
It's dependent on personnel;forced.

It will look a lot better with the right players in

izec

He will be here for the next season as well, i dont think we have a target. I think top 4 next season will be the goal. I hope he keeps on improving and sees that some players are just not useable (Lingard and Mata)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’m obviously over the moon we won and want Ole to succeed more than any manager post SAF. If we carry this into Bournemouth on Saturday I reckon he’ll start to get some fans on board again or at least climbing back on board. We must start beating inferior teams, not just raising our game against teams above us.
Just for the record some of us never got off the Ole train even when it was going badly.

I don’t really want some of the Ole out brigade to jump back on after a few good results if all they are going to do is jump off again as soon as there’s another bad result. Some of the trash I’ve read on here over the last 10 months has been truly shameful. I question whether some people understand what supporting a team actually means.

prateik

He doesnt have a finished squad.. And that is not his fault.

He needs another midfielder and a good attacker (striker/right winger.. at least one)..

Till then, I'll continue to give him more credit than the results/performances would suggest.

RUCK4444

Anybody spouting that the team isn’t being coached in any way is proved wrong by that performance.

A clear as day aggressive press which has been non existent for probably ten years.

Tactical changes to go to three at the back over the last few games, changing this in-game today and got a reaction from the substitutes.

As others have mentioned, players like Fred, McTominay, Andreas have clearly improved under Ole.

His signings have been spot on (and yes they are HIS signings no matter who says otherwise.)

The bottom line is we don’t have the squad to play quite the expansive attacking football that we all long to see again BUT Ole is making it work, the players are playing for him.

When you consider the above why would you not trust Ole with another transfer window? Long may it continue.

SteveW

Another good result. Out thought the other manager yet again. Its time for the dopes to shut up for a while and let him work.

Green_Red

He has it in him, I can feel it.
He will be here for the next season as well, i dont think we have a target. I think top 4 next season will be the goal. I hope he keeps on improving and sees that some players are just not useable (Lingard and Mata)
I hope youre right.

AndyMUFC

These counter attacking tactics have worked in nearly every big game under Ole, I think the only top six side we've lost to since he came in is City so it's not luck.

It's the other games we need to find solutions to, and I think we'll get there but will probably need to make one one or two signings to really sort the problem. We've certainly got a bit of confidence and momentum now so hopefully we can take that into the next few games.

Shark

@NotShark
Just for the record some of us never got off the Ole train even when it was going badly.

I don’t really want some of the Ole out brigade to jump back on after a few good results if all they are going to do is jump off again as soon as there’s another bad result. Some of the trash I’ve read on here over the last 10 months has been truly shameful. I question whether some people understand what supporting a team actually means.
Do you think we should be beating Bournemouth on Saturday though or if we lose you’ll just say “another bad result, it happens“? Yes, we’ve moved up to 7th but let’s not pretend we’re suddenly having a decent season. At least 4th most still be the priority or it’s another colossal failure.

Reddevildans

I'm behind ole until xmas. It's been an average few months for now but the latest set of results will hopefully propel us to more consistent performances and results. However, its imperative we get our best 12-13 players playing consistently together as our squad is paper thin in quality. Pogba will improve our team vastly. What I want to see is the basics still done properly. We give the ball away pointlessly sometimes. Dont have any composure in tight spaces and still dont create enough chances through midfield. Also I'm not convinced our defence is done with. We need a left back. I've had enough of shaw and his injuries.

Ole still has tonnes of work to do.

SER19

Good subs tonight, three good away results after stopping a pretty rampant Liverpool.

We are nowhere close to consistent enough but many goals this season show the type of football we're aiming for, the players still clearly playing for him, his signings have been good and you could argue that a few players have improved under him while also slowly introducing good prospects.

The criticism I understand, the venom I find slightly psychotic. The blatant biases of being quick to criticise and slow to credit I find most annoying

SteveW

Anybody spouting that the team isn’t being coached in any way is proved wrong by that performance.

A clear as day aggressive press which has been non existent for probably ten years.

Tactical changes to go to three at the back over the last few games, changing this in-game today and got a reaction from the substitutes.

As others have mentioned, players like Fred, McTominay, Andreas have clearly improved under Ole.

His signings have been spot on (and yes they are HIS signings no matter who says otherwise.)

The bottom line is we don’t have the squad to play quite the expansive attacking football that we all long to see again BUT Ole is making it work, the players are playing for him.

When you consider the above why would you not trust Ole with another transfer window? Long may it continue.
The bolded part is worth repeating. Fred and Pereira were nowhere near United standard at the start of the season and being forced into playing them along with Matic, Mata and Lingard did us no favours. But these two are starting to pull their weight. That has to be down to the coaches. I genuinely thought we'd need to sign a midfielder or two in January before we'd be able to give anyone a game, especially with Pogba out. We still need midfielders but at least we can now they look somewhat competent and capable of handling themselves in the PL.

Kag

The personal abuse directed towards Ole was poisonous. It was allowed to fester and it was ruining threads. I expect that the next poor run of form we go through will lead to similar labels of ‘selfishness’.

Criticism of Ole’s managerial record, as well as current performance, always has been and will be relevant to debate. This debate was never neutered either.

LJJT

100% agree. The most exciting times post SAF in my view. We are a bit up and down but when we are on form we are so good and the wins are so sweet. Buzzing off tonight. Oles tactical masterclass, not for the first time since he’s been here he’s done it many times.

He'sRaldo

You two guys talk too much sense. We have no pattern in our game instead of high pressing and park the bus if we have a lead. This tactic may work for you in some big games here and there, but in the long run it's not sustainable (Especially against the "poor" teams where you need to break them down). This so-called great run we have ( Beating the worst team in the league and a pub team in europe) will paper over the cracks in the same way it did when Ole won his first 9 games. I mean we were really really lucky against spurs when we won 1-2 but apparently Ole was some kind of genius for his setup when in reallity it was thanks to Rashford and Pogba that we won that game. The exact thing will happen now thanks to a wonderful Rashford free kick.
We attacked in the first half and were in good control. That's how we won the penalty.

mav_9me

People get swayed too much by results.

I don't see much of a difference between today's performance and say vs Liverpool or other 1-1s. Defensively we are better, credit to Ole and Maguire/AWB.

My biggest complaint is we don't know what to do when attacking. Some of it is down to poor players but some of it is down to poor coaching IMO.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I don't see much of a difference between today's performance and say vs Liverpool or other 1-1s. Defensively we are better, credit to Ole and Maguire/AWB.

My biggest complaint is we don't know what to do when attacking. Some of it is down to poor players but some of it is down to poor coaching IMO.
Thought we were better against Liverpool to be fair.

fergiesarmy1

We are going streaky - keep your miserable attitude out of it

el3mel

You two guys talk too much sense. We have no pattern in our game instead of high pressing and park the bus if we have a lead. This tactic may work for you in some big games here and there, but in the long run it's not sustainable (Especially against the "poor" teams where you need to break them down). This so-called great run we have ( Beating the worst team in the league and a pub team in europe) will paper over the cracks in the same way it did when Ole won his first 9 games. I mean we were really really lucky against spurs when we won 1-2 but apparently Ole was some kind of genius for his setup when in reallity it was thanks to Rashford and Pogba that we won that game. The exact thing will happen now thanks to a wonderful Rashford free kick.
You kinda have point. Tbf LvG was also pretty good in big games but what drove him out of the club was the results against inferior teams as we couldn't deal with their defense.

We have several upcoming games against midtable clubs so let's see how we will fare against them. Hopefully it will be good and we really turned on the tables.

mav_9me

Thought we were better against Liverpool to be fair.
Sure but we were better because we were home, raised our game, easier to play defensively. Otherwise was it any different really? Not like we outplayed them or managed to pass the ball /pose a threat with the ball. Basically scored a good goal. Sat back and conceded a poor goal.

vanderstar

I agree. Feels like people hate being wrong instead of loving us winning games.

I think we did great tonight. Ole did great. Team effort was great. Happy happy.

Didn't Rashford look a bit tired?

mav_9me

Yes, such as the doom-mongers that wanted him gone when we were losing.
But that's my point. Imo our performances haven't really been good when we were losing and in this run either other than the game against Norwich.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Do you think we should be beating Bournemouth on Saturday though or if we lose you’ll just say “another bad result, it happens“? Yes, we’ve moved up to 7th but let’s not pretend we’re suddenly having a decent season. At least 4th most still be the priority or it’s another colossal failure.
You're asking two separate things here. I can agree that getting 4th is realistically the target, but I'm not going to allow a win, draw or loss against Bournemouth massively swing my opinion.

Bournemouth are a decent side but we clearly have enough to go there looking to win the game; and I think we will. If we don't though I'm not going to start calling for the manager to be fired.

tomaldinho1

You're speaking sense but the caf can be very knee jerk - I still don't see it with Ole personally. There did seem to be a bit more cohesion in our press but I don't see the long term goal with us, we scored from two set pieces and whilst it was far from a poor display, it was in the cup and we named a pretty much full strength team. We're goo against better teams because we rely so much on the counter, every team that sits back generally frustrates us.

We have a run of games coming up that we really should be taking maximum points from; Bournemouth (A), Partizan (H), Brighton (A), Sheff Utd (A), Astana (A), Aston Villa (H). If we're still scrabbling for results and dropping points over these games I think his number will be up.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Great win and tactically solid. Apart from 15-20 minutes in the second half and a couple of individual errors we were in perfect control. Credit to Ole and his team.

Its also obvious that we have improved our pressing game to a level that at the moment we can use it as a offensive weapon. What we need to take the next step is one dm and one creative offensive dm to complement McTom.

Ole is moving in the right direction. Early days but if he can turn this around then fair play. I’m still voting out but another couple of performances like this and I probably will change my mind. Fickle as usual but that’s part of being a emotional supporter.

Grande

This game like the other big matches suits his defensive counter attacking tactics- I had a good feeling he will win today. Basically just defend. He have the defenders to sit deep and the fast strikers in the front to make it simple and a effective formula.
But unfortunately for him we only play 10 matches ,maybe 2/3 in the cup against big teams and 28 matches vs other 14 teams. So this doesn't really change anything or teach us something we didn't know previously. How we set up vs these 14 teams will settle his fate in the end.
This is really a bit of a strange line of thought. It would make more sense if we had a good away record, and if we often had trouble taking the lead, but often scored more if we first took the lead. In fact the opposite has been true most of this season: When teams are more careful and balanced in the first halves, we’ve often taken the initiative and often taken the lead. When we lead, fall back, and other teams push up, ideal for so called counter attacking football, we create little and often concede one. This has held for good teams as well as weaker teams. It’s really just the first Chelsea game that fits that idea. Might you confuse direct football with counter attacking football?

I think we have played fairly well (not fantastic) mostly when we’ve been on the front foot, but we’ve been inconsistent in our ability to do that, particularily as the games have draged on. This in spite of us seemingly have more running power, it’s the quality and teamwork level that drops.

Eddy_JukeZ

Performances like the one vs Norwich are the ones I want to see more of.

We did a solid job nullifying Chelsea today, but going forward it was kind of putrid again.

Sterling Archer

Full credit to Solskjaer and the coaching team for the set-up tonight. Was in full control from start to finish really.

That doesn't happen by accident, let alone vs an exciting Chelsea team at home.

What i also liked was his positive substitutions after the Chelsea goal. We were looking shaky then, but he managed to stabilise us and regained control.

I've been very critical of Solskjaer in recent weeks but that was a top performance from him tonight.
Agreed. Thought he did a better job here than the opening game, scoreline aside.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Agreed. Thought he did a better job here than the opening game, scoreline aside.
I would go along with that definitely. On the opening day, they were actually in control, having lots of chances before we scored against the run of play. We were quite lucky to win the match that day.

Tonight, there was nothing lucky about it whatsoever. They had no chance from the first whistle. To do that to a confident Chelsea team, at Stamford Bridge too, is really impressive.

That was an immaculate performance from him.

BestRed

100% agree. The most exciting times post SAF in my view. We are a bit up and down but when we are on form we are so good and the wins are so sweet. Buzzing off tonight. Oles tactical masterclass, not for the first time since he’s been here he’s done it many times.
Yup, really like what's going at the club at the moment. Obviously this last couple of wins helps massively, but for me it only confirms what we're building at the club. Oles 3 signings so far have been huge additions and along with all the young lads getting regular minutes there seems to be a great team spirit building throughout the team. Think step by step we're going to get back to a proper United team.

Shark

@NotShark
You're asking two separate things here. I can agree that getting 4th is realistically the target, but I'm not going to allow a win, draw or loss against Bournemouth massively swing my opinion.

Bournemouth are a decent side but we clearly have enough to go there looking to win the game; and I think we will. If we don't though I'm not going to start calling for the manager to be fired.
So at what point exactly do you call for a Manchester United manager to get fired? Lose it Bournemouth and top four becomes more and more unlikely.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Have to give credit to Ole for his in game management. He seems to be more vocal on the sideline, with simple messages to remind the team on what to do. That is how it should be. Tactically we're set up correctly and the spirit in the team seems really good. I particularly liked the substitutions, Lindelof and Lingard didn't contribute to the level they should be. They have been trusted a lot in the start and it did cost us points. They'll still get to play but he is not as patient with them anymore which is good to see. The change of formation worked perfectly, and when he moved a tired Williams on to the right and James to the left, I thought that was a very sensible move. You can tell that he loved Williams.

From all the times that he didn't, I think Ole showed something here. May it continue.

R'hllor

Love how people ignore things that happened on the pitch. All in all, good win.

Status
Not open for further replies.