Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What ever the result Ole's,not only positive regarding us,but also the opposition.

When we draw with Arsenal at OT a few weeks back he was out there praising Aubameyang's goal-scoring record and bigging him up.
I was watching his post match interview thinking : is is our manager or is he a neutral spectator ?:lol:

el3mel

The squads not good enough to beat Bournemouth? Thought I'd heard it all :lol:
Any team that is doing better than us have a better squad for Ole in crowd.

Any loss is thanks to players, board, Woodward etc, any win is thanks to Ole only.

arthurka

Steve Bruce is doing well with a shit squad one point behind Utd. Maybe he would be interested.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our squad is poor compared to our last managers. It is still better than the likes of Bournemouth.
Nobody said it wasn't but it doesn't make beating them away from home guaranteed. As it stands now even Liverpool are behind to Villa and City Southampton.

Hammerfell

I’m going to struggle to separate the player from the manager if he keeps coming out with that drivel.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nobody said it wasn't but it doesn't make beating them away from home guaranteed. As it stands now even Liverpool are behind to Villa and City Southampton.
Those are anomalies for them, though. This is standard for us, which is the problem.

Enigma_87

You know who
It’s not only Bournemouth. 13 points in 11 games. We average point per game and have played most of the teams in the bottom half.

The ones you mentioned have 28 and 22 points respectively.

Kemizee

Toxic fans just hate him and want him gone. Part of me wants him sacked just so I can stop hearing from these idiots all over the internet. Said it for years, this is the chickens coming home to roost for these “fans”, they’re getting what they deserve.
Absolute rubbish!! Wanting an out of depth manager gone from your club is not toxic in any way. We would have all loved the romantic notion of one of our own leading us to greater heights but it is apparent he isn't good enough. Stop with the narrative that anyone who wants him gone is toxic. Feck off with it!!

These idiots are fans like you who want the best for the club and are not blinded by a clueless manager who no other epl club would even hire simply because he scored a big goal for us at Camp Nou in 1999.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes because our squad is closer to the likes of Bournemouth in quality than it is City.
That doesn't excuse the horrendous performances for all these months, though. It may be closer in quality to Bournemouth than City, but it's still better than Bournemouths, and the majority of the teams in the league, yet we get outplayed more often than not by these teams.

Rauður Djöfull

Never should have gotten the job in the first place and he really needs to either do the right thing and step away or get the sack. Unfortunately, I love the guy and what he did for the club as a player, that honeymoon period when he came in for Jose was great and probably the most fun period for this club and it's supporters post Fergie, it gave some excitement back but since he got the job permanently it's just gotten worse and worse really. He simply is not up for it and or getting results, we are worse than ever.

The summer went horribly bad in regards of transfers and you have to say some of that must be on him (I am in no way saying the board and Woodie are not at some blame at all). The squad is too thin and low on quality and although OGS says youth is important he persists with players like Lingard, Mata, Young and so on. I know rotation is needed but is it really worse to give proper chances and run of games to players like Williams, Gomes, Garner for en example, they can't do much worse and the pressure would actually be lesser on the team. I know I would be happier to see them have a go and even have bad days because that is expected from them, but seeing players like Lingard and Young for an example show up and contribute nothing game after game while getting ludicrous money just pisses me off, surely they have proven to everyone they are not up to the task or standard of Man Utd.

He keeps going on about the importance of scoring the first goal, yes of course that plays a part and gives confidence and sets a tone, you always want it but you also don't completely make or break a game on it, he as a player of the 99 treble winning side and someone who so looks up to Fergie should know that comebacks and mentality is also important, as soon as we go behind you just know we ain't gonna win and probably not even draw.

Like so many have pointed out it's hard to see some progress, in the last few games the team has been a bit more aggressive (shots and such) compared to September but we are still not creating anything, there does not seem to be any trained executions or tactics in place other than hit them on the break with pace. Like why did he change back to a formation today that has not worked for us when the one he has been using was at least giving some pay off, especially since a lot of our players, like Fred and McTominay were probably not on a full tank after playing Chelsea in what was a competitive match just 2,5 days ago. His subs come late and rarely have effect, to a certain degree there is lack of quality on the bench as well as squad but it just so often feels like he gets them wrong and tries way to late, often close to or over the 80th minute mark.

It's all a culmination of many things gone wrong at the club, bad planning, bad choices, wrong people in charge of footballing side, owners, coaches, players, managers and although there is no quick fix here, I am genuinely worried now we are gonna finish in the bottom half, perhaps even be fighting relegation cause I ain't seeing no progress and teams/managers have figured him out completely. I would love nothing more but for OGS to succeed and turn it around but that just ain't looking likely and January transfer window for some added aid in that regards is far away, too far away, so how long should we give him the benefit of doubt to turn it around?

I think I have reached my breaking point. Think he will still be hanging in there though because Woodie will not do anything drastic unless more pressure by fans or media is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheesy

Kemizee

For what though? What are we actually aiming for in the league this season, we're clearly not making the top 4 and we shouldn't go down so a cup run might at least be something.
We definitely can as we still have a lot to play for. Unfortunately, the club is more interested in romantic, sentimental decisions that appropriate ones.

Sylar

That seemed like a 4231 set up
Which almost always doesn't work cos we don't have a 10 and it ends up seeing the two wide forwards more as wingers and away from goal and less control in midfield

The 532 or 352 or whatever it was worked but this 4231 adaptation doesn't (and it's not even close to a 433)

I don't get why we keep going towards that when our worst stuff post Fergie has been in that formation set up

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ole is just unfortunately a fan of United that happens to me managing it.

This is why he is doing things like buying players the fans love, playing the kids but ultimately is doing alot of the managerial aspects wrong.

This is exactly how we as fans would be if we managed United. Playing the kids, buying the players the other fans would like but ultimately below level coaching capacity.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Really disappointed in him today. Thought we had turned a corner after 4 decent performances in a row, but this was as bad as i've seen in a while. Granted that we were probably tired after just two days of rest and B'mouth deserves credit for outfighting us all over the pitch but this was just shite from start to finish.
  • 4231 clearly does not work well for us. Why the hell do we revert back to it after playing much better in other formations
  • Lindelof needs to be benched. Hes a complete liability in defense and his passing is mediocre. Same with Young, he might have experience but id much rather see Williams been given more chances
  • Dont know if its a coaching issue or a player issue, probably a bit of both, but our midfield is utterly non existent. Gets played right through and offers nothing to our attackers either.
  • Still waits to long to make subs. Perieira deliverd a legit 1/10 performance today and should have been off at HT.

I dont want his head just yet, but unless we shop good in January he wont be here next season

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dont think hes been awful tbh. And I like the signings he made, just wasnt enough. We also let a lot of players go (had to be done), but did not replace them, so we're left with a thing and young squad. By nature, we'll be inconsistent, especially with Pogba injured most of the season. If you look at the squad we've had at our disposal this season, mid table is about fair for it. Performances haven't been dreadful overall, but results lagging because of the lack of experienced attackers. In one off games I think Ole has done quite well tbh. We have a good big game record, but it's the "easier" games where we struggle.

Can see us winning one of the cups this season, but finishing something like 8th or 9th. Let's just hope we win the Europa League, which tbh I think we have as good a shot at as anyone.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That doesn't excuse the horrendous performances for all these months, though. It may be closer in quality to Bournemouth than City, but it's still better than Bournemouths, and the majority of the teams in the league, yet we get outplayed more often than not by these teams.
We don't get outplayed we just get drawn into the type of mid table games i see all the time with teams that lack top quality (which we do).

When we set up like we did against Liverpool and Chelsea, they look poor and create very little. That's what we're up against but with worse players.

Today we needed more quality in the centre of the park but we're asking for Fred, McTominay and Pereira to provide it with very few options available to change it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:eek:

I know you're one of more patient/reasonable posters on here. Would like to hear more thoughts on this.
Ole has turned us into a mid table side. It’s not all his fault since we are reaping the rewards of Woodward’s perennial incompetence, but all things said, Ole is simply not good enough and we should fail fast by letting him go and bringing in a proper manager and DOF. Enough is enough.

Ancient Of Days

I think some at the CAF could do the same thing he is doing.
I've always said this from day one and not even joking

A group of united die hard supporters that love the club, wouldn't be doing any worse with this team

And these are the list of managers who also wouldn't be doing any worse. Only difference is there wouldn't be any excuses made for them

Alan Curbishley
Glen Roeder
Sam Allydyce
Paul Scholes
Paul Ince
Stuart Pearce
Roy Hodgson

No one can honestly say that the managers above wouldn't be able to deliver the results that have been served up so far.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So basically the squad is terrible , we have no system and we have 13 points in 11 games to add to the disastrous finish to last season but he doesn't deserve the blame because of the signings he made. What kind of logic is that

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've always said this from day one and not even joking

A group of united die hard supporters that love the club, wouldn't be doing any worse with this team

And these are the list of managers who also wouldn't be doing any worse. Only difference is there wouldn't be any excuses made for them

Alan Curbishley
Glen Roeder
Sam Allydyce
Paul Scholes
Paul Ince
Stuart Pearce
Roy Hodgson

No one can honestly say that the managers above wouldn't be able to deliver the results that have been served up so far.
Why those managers specifically?

Xaviboy

He looks like a bag of shit. Not good for his health. Job too big. Just leave and spend time with your family before it gets worse for him. No long term project needed as he not cut out for the job.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
All-in-all, it's quite telling that one league win was able to prompt some people into thinking there'd been significant improvement - domestically we've receded to a level where any win the league is being taken as a massive boost instead of something basic we're used to.

Ancient Of Days

So basically the squad is terrible , we have no system and we have 13 points in 11 games to add to the disastrous finish to last season but he doesn't deserve the blame because of the signings he made. What kind of logic is that
Cult logic!

All-in-all, it's quite telling that one league win was able to prompt some people into thinking there'd been significant improvement - domestically we've receded to a level where any win the league is being taken as a massive boost instead of something basic we're used to.
That's the whole point of lowering expectations, so anything you do however minuscule is heralded as something special

Remember in the same we were prepped not to expect anything from this season, as Ole's battle cry was that we'd be lucky to finish 6th.

That set the tone going on for both the players and supporters.

JG3001

Won’t get better till there’s a complete overhaul (which won’t happen).

New manager would need to get rid of all the deadwood, and replace them all with probably about £500m. All in a single season. Need the slate wiping clean. There are currently about 4 first team players in that squad, absolute tops.

I can’t believe people at the club thought getting rid of Lukaku, Sanchez and Herrera before anyone else was the way forward.

When you need to move players out of a club over a number of seasons, you start with the absolute dregs (Young, Rojo, Lingard, Lindelof, Fred etc), not the ones who actually show some ability.

We’re paying a player 250k a week to play for a different team, what a f***** joke...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Won’t get better till there’s a complete overhaul (which won’t happen).

New manager would need to get rid of all the deadwood, and replace them all with probably about £500m. All in a single season. Need the slate wiping clean. There are currently about 4 first team players in that squad, absolute tops.

I can’t believe people at the club thought getting rid of Lukaku, Sanchez and Herrera before anyone else was the way forward.

When you need to move players out of a club over a number of seasons, you start with the absolute dregs (Young, Rojo, Lingard, Lindelof, Fred etc), not the ones who actually show some ability.

We’re paying a player 250k a week to play for a different team, what a f***** joke...
Paying him when injured as well.

Denis79

I see some people are happy about us playing with ten men behind the half way line at Old Trafford as though we are Molde. I guess that's what we have turned into.
Ole sets us up great against teams that hold and play the ball, it's evident looking at our results. Against 'better' teams we look good imo but as soon as we play a lesser team that sets up for counters we look clueless. We had the same problems with LvG and Mourinho to some extent. I'm not saying Ole is helping us out with his tactics but if 3 managers had the same problem the players need to take some of the blame. That said Oles tactics are extremely defensive and it's hampering our goal tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.