Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So basically the squad is terrible , we have no system and we have 13 points in 11 games to add to the disastrous finish to last season but he doesn't deserve the blame because of the signings he made. What kind of logic is that
The signings he made have all been impact signings, all of them are among our best players. The squad DOES have huge holes with players who can't seem to deliver no matter how many chances they are given (Lingard).

Seems perfectly logical to me. What you're saying is that we'd somehow be a top4 team right now if any of the "grass is greener" managers were here, with the same squad.

AneRu

Won’t get better till there’s a complete overhaul (which won’t happen).

New manager would need to get rid of all the deadwood, and replace them all with probably about £500m. All in a single season. Need the slate wiping clean. There are currently about 4 first team players in that squad, absolute tops.

I can’t believe people at the club thought getting rid of Lukaku, Sanchez and Herrera before anyone else was the way forward.

When you need to move players out of a club over a number of seasons, you start with the absolute dregs (Young, Rojo, Lingard, Lindelof, Fred etc), not the ones who actually show some ability.

We’re paying a player 250k a week to play for a different team, what a f***** joke...
I don't think we had any choice in the Herrera departure and I think we needed Sanchez out but selling Lukaku without adding to the attack was just suicide. In addition the moment Herrera left we should have signed a midfielder because it was clear that we had big question marks over every other midfielder beside McTominay and Pogba.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why he is stuck to that chair during the game? I see Guardiola and Klopp who have perfectly trained squads, running, jumping, yelling. Ole and Carrick just sit in silence

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ole sets us up great against teams that hold and play the ball, it's evident looking at our results. Against 'better' teams we look good imo but as soon as we play a lesser team that sets up for counters we look clueless. We had the same problems with LvG and Mourinho to some extent. I'm not saying Ole is helping us out with his tactics but if 3 managers had the same problem the players need to take some of the blame. That said Oles tactics are extremely defensive and it's hampering our goal tally.
Problem is there are more lesser teams than 'better teams'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The signings he made have all been impact signings, all of them are among our best players. The squad DOES have huge holes with players who can't seem to deliver no matter how many chances they are given (Lingard).

Seems perfectly logical to me. What you're saying is that we'd somehow be a top4 team right now if any of the "grass is greener" managers were here, with the same squad.
Except when the other teams have better managers, the grass is actually greener on the other side

Foxbatt

Good managers make ordinary players into better players. We had according to CAF some average players at United who have won trophies including the CL. Ole is making good players into ordinary players.
Getting rid of Fellaini without finding any alternatives is criminal. No matter how poor a player he was he was an asset when he was used properly. So if Ole does not want him then he should have got a replacement in the summer. He was sold in January last year. If he had got a replacement we would not have to rely on Fred, and Periera.
He has to go and go now.

nameischarles

Why he is stuck to that chair during the game? I see Guardiola and Klopp who have perfectly trained squads, running, jumping, yelling. Ole and Carrick just sit in silence
The few times they did show him out of his chair, he was making all these hand signals like he was directing a mate backing into the drive way with a trailer.

I think there was one a point he was jotting down notes on a notepad reminded me of LVG with his big A5 size planner he would bring on match day.

NK86

Not many tbh. It's very rare
Exactly. Not sure what our fan base is clinging onto when it comes to expecting that Ole will turn it around. He has been a manager for about a decade now and nothing during that time has shown that he is a big league manager. He is not a new face on the block whose ideas are taking time to come to fruition. Most likely his ideas are antiquated and not fit for purpose in the current league.

SAFMUTD

Dont think hes been awful tbh. And I like the signings he made, just wasnt enough. We also let a lot of players go (had to be done), but did not replace them, so we're left with a thing and young squad. By nature, we'll be inconsistent, especially with Pogba injured most of the season. If you look at the squad we've had at our disposal this season, mid table is about fair for it. Performances haven't been dreadful overall, but results lagging because of the lack of experienced attackers. In one off games I think Ole has done quite well tbh. We have a good big game record, but it's the "easier" games where we struggle.

Can see us winning one of the cups this season, but finishing something like 8th or 9th. Let's just hope we win the Europa League, which tbh I think we have as good a shot at as anyone.
We have been pretty consistent, we play dull toothless football. Even the chelsea game when many pointed out the result didn’t showed the performance of the teams.

I can’t remember a game where we’ve created many chances besides Norwich, thats consistency.

NK86

It's not rare at all(if former great players include the likes of Ole) but it's not a guarantee of anything because even more failed.
How many top bracket players have gone on to be absolutely top level managers? Not a snide remark, genuinely curious as you say it's not rare.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Dont think hes been awful tbh. And I like the signings he made, just wasnt enough. We also let a lot of players go (had to be done), but did not replace them, so we're left with a thing and young squad. By nature, we'll be inconsistent, especially with Pogba injured most of the season. If you look at the squad we've had at our disposal this season, mid table is about fair for it. Performances haven't been dreadful overall, but results lagging because of the lack of experienced attackers. In one off games I think Ole has done quite well tbh. We have a good big game record, but it's the "easier" games where we struggle.

Can see us winning one of the cups this season, but finishing something like 8th or 9th. Let's just hope we win the Europa League, which tbh I think we have as good a shot at as anyone.
We are consistent. Consistently shit that is

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

As the manager it's his job to have a better squad of players . At what point does he deserve the blame ? Also it's his job to improve what we have got . No one in the team is playing better than when Ole came in . We have 13 points from 11 games and are below Shef United, Brighton and Villa so no the squad excuse is terrible. At this point if ole got sacked then bottom of the championship Stoke would not take him as the manager but here we are as a big club going on with absolutely zero logic to back it .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good managers make ordinary players into better players. We had according to CAF some average players at United who have won trophies including the CL. Ole is making good players into ordinary players.
Getting rid of Fellaini without finding any alternatives is criminal. No matter how poor a player he was he was an asset when he was used properly. So if Ole does not want him then he should have got a replacement in the summer. He was sold in January last year. If he had got a replacement we would not have to rely on Fred, and Periera.
He has to go and go now.
I think Ole's intention was that McTomminay is Fellaini's replacement. Which is fine and has logic to it.

That alone though doesn't compensate for the lack of replacements for Herrera and Lukaku who,when you take into account of Ole's caretaker form,actually played a integral role in bringing in some good results.

Herrera was a vital component in Ole's pressing game and Lukaku,though he will forever have questions put to him regarding his ball control,got vital goals against Newcastle,Southampton and most notably PSG away while also putting in a strong all-round performance away to Arsenal in the Fa Cup.

JG3001

I don't think we had any choice in the Herrera departure and I think we needed Sanchez out but selling Lukaku without adding to the attack was just suicide. In addition the moment Herrera left we should have signed a midfielder because it was clear that we had big question marks over every other midfielder beside McTominay and Pogba.
As ineffective as Alexis had been at the club, I just can’t find any justification in paying over half his weekly wage to be elsewhere, it’s mental, literally mental.

Herrera was a funny one, sounds like he had his head turned by a big offer at PSG and would only stay if the club matched or bettered it. I imagine if they had t pissed £50m up the wall on Fred they would have said stay.

Lukaku, for all his faults, was a 15-20 goal a season striker, as you pointed out, you cannot get rid of that with zero replacement. We literally had Everton as a perfect example so there’s zero excuse.

But without stating all the names for the billionth time, it infuriates me that certain players are still within a 100 miles of the club, when they should have gone years ago.

Treble

He made a mistake by fielding a strong team in the league cup, given the team had to play less than 70 hours later a difficult away game. The priority must be the PL and then EL. It's pointless to play a strong team in the least important competition.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
As ineffective as Alexis had been at the club, I just can’t find any justification in paying over half his weekly wage to be elsewhere, it’s mental, literally mental.

Herrera was a funny one, sounds like he had his head turned by a big offer at PSG and would only stay if the club matched or bettered it. I imagine if they had t pissed £50m up the wall on Fred they would have said stay.

Lukaku, for all his faults, was a 15-20 goal a season striker, as you pointed out, you cannot get rid of that with zero replacement. We literally had Everton as a perfect example so there’s zero excuse.

But without stating all the names for the billionth time, it infuriates me that certain players are still within a 100 miles of the club, when they should have gone years ago.
Didn't we agree to pay a part of Rooney's massive salary when we sold him to Everton? It's unbelievable how badly run the club is from top to bottom.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How many top bracket players have gone on to be absolutely top level managers? Not a snide remark, genuinely curious as you say it's not rare.
It depends on what you mean by top bracket and absolutely top level managers, but currently you have Zidane, Simeone, Conte, Guardiola, Ancelotti and the current world champion was a great player too. In the last 35 years you have the likes of Cruyff, Capello or Beckenbauer and I'm sure that I'm missing plenty. Bare in mind that they come from a limited group of people, a group a lot more limited than the "not great players come from".

R'hllor

And other side pushing back now, like expected. Some are so mental that they dont even know how to stand up for their guy properly.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Once again if he gets sacked today he won't get a job in the championship and here he is somehow supposed to be the guy who will turn it around for Manchester United

Mainoldo

Quite a few.. probably more the fact that not a lot of top bracket players want to be manager. But either way Solskjaer is not a top bracket players of the type of managers we would be talking.

Mainoldo

Once again if he gets sacked today he won't get a job in the championship and here he is somehow supposed to be the guy who will turn it around for Manchester United
I wouldn’t even give him anymore money. The more he buys the more we will probably need to fix when the new manager comes in.

Sterling Archer

Daniel James, from the championship for $20 million has been our best player.

The rest of the $130 million was wasted. If we instead bought two defenders from the championship for even half that we would not be in any worse position than we are now.

The transfers decisions that were made were catastrophically bad. And to top it off there really is no tenable system in effect. There's more semblance of pattern play and build up in the newly promoted teams. We played fecking Bournemouth that hadn't scored in how long? And we not only let them score on this oh so amazingly refreshed defense, we also played hoofball for much of the match. And it's awful awful hoofball where the staff can't even coach players to run into channels effectively.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Daniel James, from the championship for $20 million has been our best player.

The rest of the $130 million was wasted. If we instead bought two defenders from the championship for even half that we would not be in any worse position than we are now.

The transfers decisions that were made were catastrophically bad. And to top it off there really is no tenable system in effect. There's more semblance of pattern play and build up in the newly promoted teams. We played fecking Bournemouth that hadn't scored in how long? And we not only let them score on this oh so amazingly refreshed defense, we also played hoofball for much of the match. And it's awful awful hoofball where the staff can't even coach players to run into channels effectively.
Yep, absolutely wasted adressing GLARING holes in the squad.

I'm just going to take the week off from this place, some of you are so impossibly irrational and short sighted, and for some magical reason don't see cause and effect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I'm just going to take the week off from this place, some of you are so impossibly irrational and short sighted, and for some magical reason don't see cause and effect.
Can you make it a month?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
So basically the squad is terrible , we have no system and we have 13 points in 11 games to add to the disastrous finish to last season but he doesn't deserve the blame because of the signings he made. What kind of logic is that
Logic is basked in pointless romanticism.

Likes of Sheffield, Brighton and Palace are above us. But, no one can convince me that they have a better squad. Even Steve Bruce coached Newcastle side are just a point behind, and comfortably dispatched us few weeks back. Frickin Newcastle United! His apologists are worse than Ole, at least sometimes he can accept certain shortcomings but all they make is excuses.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Logic is basked in pointless romanticism.

Likes of Sheffield, Brighton and Palace are above us. Two of them have started the season wBut, no one can convince me that they have a better squad. Even Steve Bruce coached Newcastle side are just a point behind, and comfortably dispatched us few weeks back. Frickin Newcastle United! His apologists are worse than Ole, at least sometimes he can accept certain shortcomings but all they make is excuses.
So you are telling me, that someone else, with ALL our injuryr probems, would be well within earshot of manchester City and Liverpool now? Do you base this on anything other than being annoyed about losing?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
So you are telling me, that someone else, with ALL our injuryr probems, would be well within earshot of manchester City and Liverpool now? Do you base this on anything other than being annoyed about losing?
Where the feck did I type that? You are seeing things, take a break.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Gone are the days of talking about being closer to City and Liverpool. We are going to be 10 points of 4th place after 11 games . Do you think that it wrong to expect us to be closer to Leicester and Chelsea with lampard (and no transfers!) . At what point do you think that he is underachieving and someone else could do a better job ?

Ludens the Red

He didn’t even mention those clubs, like a lot of United fans we just expect (crazy I know) to be above Brighton, palace and Sheff Utd ten games into a season. If we were 6th/7th and showing signs of progression and a style of football this thread would be a fraction of its current size.
It’s so so so tiresome seeing people use the squad quality as an excuse. We’ve lost to Bournemouth, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham this season. Brighton and Sheffield United look a better coached side than us.

Out of these 22 that played for Brighton and Sheff Utd today, who would you take, that would swoop in and change our fortunes?
Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Gross, Propper, Stephens, Alzate, Maupay, Connolly, Henderson, Basham, Egan, O’Connell, Baldock, Lundstram, Fleck, Stevens, Moussett, McGoldrick.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Where the feck did I type that? You are seeing things, take a break.
Well what do you want? Top4? Because that spot right now has the difference between Rashford hitting the open net in prior matches and where we currently are.

Sterling Archer

What's the point of buying top class talent if you want to call it that, while playing relegation level football?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What's the point of buying top class talent if you want to call it that, while playing relegation level football?
You can keep on with that panic argument, and I'll look at what we are doing against t6 rivals, and be happy that we appear to have relatively good control there, and just have that last bit of work with the scoring momentum to put us back into contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.