Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snafu17

They were done, 3 goals in 7 minutes and couldn’t get out of their half we was under zero pressure. Add to that Axel was at the back as well not midfield and it was a daft move, we showed in the first half 3 at the back wasn’t working.
He was clearly playing in midfield.

el3mel

You want to put a 19 year old with less than 5 first team appearances, in none of which he was particularly solid defensively, in a team which already contains two 19 year olds, both of them fairly offensive minded, to defend the lead in an away game against an in form, fairly psyhical opposition?

Defenders can play in midfield. SAF once played 7 defenders in a team, it doesn't mean we played 7 at the back.
Yeah because Tuanzebe is an experienced PL defender ? He has played only in Championship in few loans at best. We were bringing a youngster regardless so put the right one in his right position at least. If he fecks it up then it'll be his problem not the manager.

Snafu17

He came on with 10 minutes left... And before Sheff Utd had even start to peg us back.

We were still looking threatening and causing them problems. That sub basically told them to not worry about us attacking them and that they could come onto us.

It also meant we had to rely on our shoddy defense for 10 mins.

It's the sort of sub you make in injury time to waste time and after you're being pinned back... You don't use it to invite pressure.
We had one attack after taking the lead. We would drop back inevitably. It happens pretty much every time.

meamth

Our standards are low as it goes. People are happy with draw against SU with being dominated too. Sad times
That's the thing, Ole in's camp aren't happy at all about the draw.

What's the idea here? We need to be in Ole out camp to portray our sadness???

Snafu17

Yeah because Tuanzebe is an experienced PL defender ? He has played only in Championship in few loans at best. We were bringing a youngster regardless so put the right one in his right position at least. If he fecks it up then it'll be his problem not the manager.
He's significantly more experienced than Garner, to argue otherwise would be just dumb and demonstrably wrong.

Halftrack

As much as I thought we'd lose today, people celebrating a draw are just baffling. The standards are so low.
The only one's I've seen celebrating it are those happy that Ole didn't get the win, because there's a not insignificant number of "supporters" posting on here.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The fact that people are having a go at him after going from 0-2 to 3-2 because he put on a defensive player in injury time...fecking hell. Really?
Exactly!

He would have been criticised had he not tried to close shop and Sheffield equalised. Jose did this most games and he's a great tactician in many minds. Hindsight makes great coaches.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not is he not good enough for, he's a bad fit here. He's nothing more than a defensive coach. To start with 5 at the back, switch to attacking football and as soon as we lead Ole switches to 5 at the back again, you really make it up.

He is honestly clueless, sorry to say. We need to move on now
You're only just realising now? Where have you been for the past year?

Ignoring what is said in press conferences. Apart from a few games at the start, we have been a defensive counter-attacking team throughout his time here.

When Pogba was fit at the start of the season, he was playing him as a defensive mid in a pivot. Does that sound like an attacking manager to you?

passing-wind

This is when the Ole out camp comes out to party.

Yeah yeah, we hear ya, incompetent, clueless, whatever.

Have fun.
We are 20 points off the league leaders and almost 10 points off the top four it's not even bloody Christmas. I don't care if fans are Ole in or Ole out, look at the state of this club, fans should be supporting the club, if the manager isn't good enough he's should be disposable no different to some of the players.

Most fans rallying behind Ole instead of rallying behind the ambitions of the club would look fantastic in an Arsenal kit. It's absolutely embarrassing.

el3mel

He's significantly more experienced than Garner, to argue otherwise would be just dumb.
Neither are experienced in PL though.

And weren't we playing inexperienced Williams ahead of Ashley Young in FB position anyway ? This experience point makes no sense when this is happening.

Honestly your argument is weird. The sub brought them into the game. If that wasn't a bad sub I don't know what is a bad one.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Bringing on Tuanzebe against the mighty Sheffield to defend a one goal lead was LVG-esque move. I remember people bitching like mad at Mourinho for adapting tactics to a lesser team too. (I didn't and still pretty much don't mind it now)

We expended so much energy with 3 quick attacks in 70 mins that we couldn't keep possession in that system?
You defend Ole, but then you go on to suggest he hasn't coached his players to press properly, which is also something that takes a lot of energy?
Our 3rd was scored in the 80th minute, not the 70th. The game ebbs and flows, just because you're on top for a spell doesn't mean you can maintain that for the remainder of the game, we had to compensate for the fact that Sheffield were going to come on strong.

It's not a matter of pressing, it's initial positioning, I think the players are encouraged to pack the box in that situation which not only invites pressure but infact requires greater effort to close down wide players when they invariably spot this and take all the time they need to play the best cross. It's the opposite of what you're saying. It's energy-conserving to maintain presence in wide areas there.

It doesn't seem rational to me that you could disregard Ole as a fundamentally flawed manager on that basis, he has to learn how to see out games for sure but that's not a basic understanding you'd automatically expect any manager to have otherwise very few goals would ever be conceded from winning positions late in the game, he has to be given the time to learn from his mistakes.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
That's the thing, Ole in's camp aren't happy at all about the draw.

What's the idea here? We need to be in Ole out camp to portray our sadness???
If you're unhappy with the draw, who is to blame ultimately then? The buck stops with the manager, does it not?

The Ole in crowd (maybe not you), generally just have a weird fascination of absolving him of blame altogether. That is what winds me up about them.

Pennywise

Exactly!

He would have been criticised had he not tried to close shop and Sheffield equalised. Jose did this most games and he's a great tactician in many minds. Hindsight makes great coaches.
He literally switched back to a formation that had seen us concede twice and been battered for 70 minutes. You'd have to be a complete idiot to do that

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure Martial substitution is a tactical mistake. A fair question would be why we were looking so bad over the majority of the game.

Fooza

Unfortunately he's staying until mathematically we're out of the top 4 race. :( This board won't act quick. Only problem is, it's inevitable

dev1l

Exactly!

Spot on.

SirAF

Ageist
Our standards are low as it goes. People are happy with draw against SU with being dominated too. Sad times
Yeah.

A club like Manchester United should always consider a draw wasted points except against the obvious top six teams.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Poor decision to start with a back 3, hopefully he's learnt to never use it again. Particularly if it means using Phil Jones there (although it was a foul on him for the goal).

Injuries are still killing us, the sooner Pereira isn't starting games for us the better.

I expected a tough game, Sheff Utd were excellent.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Except for when it's Poch, I guess, then there's all manner of excuses.
I don't understand. Managers can come to the end of a cycle at a club, it doesn't mean they are bad managers.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have taken Klopp after Dortmund then?

padzilla

Hipster
It is a long way from Fergie slapping the medals out of the hands of Aberdeen players, who had just won the Scottish Cup, because he didn't feel they performed well enough.

meamth

Our 3rd was scored in the 80th minute, not the 70th. The game ebbs and flows, just because you're on top for a spell doesn't mean you can maintain that for the remainder of the game, we had to compensate for the fact that Sheffield were going to come on strong.

It's not a matter of pressing, it's initial positioning, I think the players are encouraged to pack the box in that situation which not only invites pressure but infact requires greater effort to close down wide players when they invariably spot this and take all the time they need to play the best cross. It's the opposite of what you're saying. It's energy-conserving to maintain presence in wide areas there.

It doesn't seem rational to me that you could disregard Ole as a fundamentally flawed manager on that basis, he has to learn how to see out games for sure but that's not a basic understanding you'd automatically expect any manager to have otherwise very few goals would ever be conceded from winning positions late in the game, he has to be given the time to learn from his mistakes.
Don't try to explain them the phase of modern football in here.

They have no clue.

Just attack, attack, attack, keep the ball, keep the ball.

Sigh.

Snafu17

Neither are experienced in PL though.

And weren't we playing inexperienced Williams ahead of Ashley Young in FB position anyway ? This experience point makes no sense when this is happening.

Honestly your argument is weird. The sub brought them into the game. If that wasn't a bad sub I don't know what is a bad one.
It makes all the difference in the world if you're defending the lead with 10 minutes to go. It's literally the one thing that's useful about experience, you can handle situations easier if you already experienced it.

Yeah, one has actually played professional football for a couple of years, the other one hasn't. How is there no difference?

Teams drop back all the time, you're arguing we wouldn't because we barely managed to pin them back for all of seven minutes. It just takes a bit of possession for Sheffield and we would have been exposed with our none existent midfield.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think it's too simplistic to say that putting a defensive player on to conserve the lead is what he should be doing. We clearly couldn't cope with their attacking all game and moving to the more defensive formation was asking for more of it. Of course, they may have capitilised on it anyway, but why you'd look to revert to something similar to before I don't know.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The issue wasn't just the system though. Our players just looked like they didn't need to work for the ball as much and when they had the ball, a lot made so many unforced errors.

His post match interview is bizzare too. Inferring a draw is great because last year we'd have lost by 3 or 4. This is Sheffield United for fecksake, we should be pushing for top 4 not pissing around trying to be better than average.

Irwin99

Not sure that game changes anyone's mind on either side of the fence.

Do you moan about the 60 minutes that were genuinely shocking or do you focus on the 10 minutes when we showed brilliant character to get back into the game.

This team is lethal when you give it space and against tired defences. It's horrendous in other aspects of it's game though.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Poor decision to start with a back 3, hopefully he's learnt to never use it again. Particularly if it means using Phil Jones there (although it was a foul on him for the goal).

Injuries are still killing us, the sooner Pereira isn't starting games for us the better.

I expected a tough game, Sheff Utd were excellent.
You'll be disappointed soon then. Solskjaer is a defensive coach by nature. Expecting him to suddenly start being attacking when we've been a defensive counter-attacking team throughout his year here is a bit strange to me.

Water Melon

It was a wrong sub that killed the momentum. Axel is not on form and hardly a midfielder. Tactics at the beginning were wrong, and subbing Axel on was a mistake as well. This sub brought SU back into game, fact. Taking Tony off and bringing Tuanzebe on weakened us both defensively and offensively. Ole is inept tactically and this game is the clearest evidence to it.

Nick7

I'm not sure Martial substitution is a tactical mistake. A fair question would be why we were looking so bad over the majority of the game.
How exactly is going back to the formation and system we struggled with in the first half not a tactical mistake? He literally laid out the red carpet for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.