Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KekiZeki

We can have our differing views but you can't be disrespectful towards one of our own.

That said, people fail to see the big picture. People only see the later years of sir Alex when he got to spend big, but guess what, that big spending was earned and proven time and time again with his tactical ability and constant picking of winners, he didn't just come in and got the blank cheque book to loosely spend. He earned it with our club. Doing it for other clubs is not a proof you can do it for United too. This is what Ole will do too, he'll build us up steadily. We're in phase of getting rid dead wood and that's never an easy time for any club in transition. The fact we're still in for the top 4 must be good enough for now. Or someone thinks we'd be in it for the title?
Point is, we had our big star managers, we didn't move up an inch. Calling out Solskjaer for the mess others made for him is terrible way to asses his ability. He is not a media man, he is the type of a guy who gets stuck in and does the job, willing to take advice and learn. We had more talented players than him in our team but if you asked me if I wanted him or Cantona at the helm you know what my answer would be.

Greck

We can have our differing views but you can't be disrespectful towards one of our own.

That said, people fail to see the big picture. People only see the later years of sir Alex when he got to spend big, but guess what, that big spending was earned and proven time and time again with his tactical ability and constant picking of winners, he didn't just come in and got the blank cheque book to loosely spend. He earned it with our club. Doing it for other clubs is not a proof you can do it for United too. This is what Ole will do too, he'll build us up steadily. We're in phase of getting rid dead wood and that's never an easy time for any club in transition. The fact we're still in for the top 4 must be good enough for now. Or someone thinks we'd be in it for the title?
Point is, we had our big star managers, we didn't move up an inch. Calling out Solskjaer for the mess others made for him is terrible way to asses his ability. He is not a media man, he is the type of a guy who gets stuck in and does the job, willing to take advice and learn. We had more talented players than him in our team but if you asked me if I wanted him or Cantona at the helm you know what my answer would be.
The star managers did far better than the under qualified ones (moyes and Ole). Ole doesn't represent a fresh new approach. He's just more of Moyes

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Nice story but you're wrong. Money was never an issue at United. And yes, SAF got the blank cheque book to spend. He wanted us to compete right from the start.

In his first full season, McClair and Bruce were both big signings. He also broke United's transfer record by resigning Hughes from Barcelona and then he tried to break it again by going after Gascoigne.

After a disastrous second (full) season, he went on a shopping spree by signing 10(!) players from which Ince and Pallister were both record signings for United.

The year after that he bought Kanchelskis and in 91/92 he signed Schmeichel (his third or fourth keeper in 5 years) and Paul Parker for good money too.

bleedred

The star managers did far better than the under qualified ones (moyes and Ole). Ole doesn't represent a fresh new approach. He's just more of Moyes
This.
People think that LVG and Jose failed at United. They did, because the standards we aspired to be was too high and they didn't meet it. Yet for Ole, those standards can be ignored, just because of the myraid of reasons we keep hearing.

LVG was an improvement on Moyes and Jose was an improvement on LVG, but now we are back to being worse than Moyes. If Ole finishes the season, this would be completely evident in terms of the points we are going to get.

bleedred

Yeah, right!

Moyes - 57 pts
LVG- 70 , 66
Jose- 69,81

Even though LVG and Jose had to contend with the mess of the previous managers, they managed to improve the team in terms of points and won the cups also.

A team that finished with 81 points, now after reinforcements and cutting deadwood like you say, is on track for 50 points at best.

Last edited:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Is it just me or is there anybody else who sees some light at the end of the tunnel? I know we’ve been dreadful this season, but I see the beginning of an exciting quality side coming through. Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Pogba, James, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood is a good nucleus to work from. We’re obviously top class midfielders short (with or without Pogba), maybe a defender and we’re paper thin up front. But for the first time since Fergie I see flashes of what might be capable & sustainable long term. In fact this season reminds of United 89-90ish. I think Ole needs more time, at least another season or so.

Kemizee

Calling a club legend a clown over and over again is insulting to the club and fans. Strongly suggest you stop doing that.

And do speak for yourself and not on behalf of 'everyone' unless there is some poll you can point to which can substantiate this opinion.
For Christ's sake, when will people start to realise that Ole has utmost respect as a player who achieved great things with us? I don't belittle his contributions as a PLAYER! As to what place he occupies in your most loved or rated player who have adorned our shirt is strictly up to you.

However, as a MANAGER, what he has shown so far is frankly amatuerish, inept and laughable considering our status as one of the world's most famous club. That is what I mean and stop saying that everyone who wants Ole out is belittling him. I for instance have been patient enough but his calamitous reign has to end. We are just going nowhere with him in charge!!

Ancient Of Days

Ole was one of my favorite players but as a manager he is a smug buffoon who is smiling come wind rain or shine believing he's doing an excellent terrific job and that's why he's often called a clown. Celebrating a draw against Sheffield United like he won a cup was reminiscent of Moyes pumping his fists and screaming after coming back against Fulham at home and no one would begrudge anyone for calling him an inept clown.

And for all those who say he loves and cares for the club, well then where is his resignation? We all heard in the time he was caretaker that he'd be low risk, cheap and would do the honorable thing of stepping down if it became apparent that the job was above him

Well we're paying this guy 10 million a year to tell us that shipping in 3 goals was an improvement on shipping 4-5 goals from last season after spending 150 million on defense.

When we're 15th place after Mourinho's spurs teach Ole a lesson and City batter us, he will still come out with more shocking post match interviews praising how much of a hard working group of lads he's got and they're learning tough lessons and other bullshit, instead of resigning like any self respecting manager who really did love and care for the club over their own selfish ends.

He will just like Mourinho and Moyes hold out for his severance package which he wouldn't have deserved

ash_86

Is it just me or is there anybody else who sees some light at the end of the tunnel? I know we’ve been dreadful this season, but I see the beginning of an exciting quality side coming through. Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Pogba, James, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood is a good nucleus to work from. We’re obviously top class midfielders short (with or without Pogba), maybe a defender and we’re paper thin up front. But for the first time since Fergie I see flashes of what might be capable & sustainable long term. In fact this season reminds of United 89-90ish. I think Ole needs more time, at least another season or so.
You're not alone. Plenty of us see it that way but hardly post in here as it'll get shot down as delusional or fantasy. If we win a match this thread won't get much posts and if we lose it'll go bat shit crazy.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You're not alone. Plenty of us see it that way but hardly post in here as it'll get shot down as delusional or fantasy. If we win a match this thread won't get much posts and if we lose it'll go bat shit crazy.
They're wanking themselves silly over their next toy Pochettino which no doubt they'll give a few months before tearing him a new arsehole as well. "He hasn't won anything" will be the stick that he'll get hit with.

Personally I saw a lot of positives against Sheffield United but naturally that gets lost in the sea of negativity that shrouds every other post in this forsaken land of shite.

ash_86

They're wanking themselves silly over their next toy Pochettino which no doubt they'll give a few months before tearing him a new arsehole as well. "He hasn't won anything" will be the stick that he'll get hit with.

Personally I saw a lot of positives against Sheffield United but naturally that gets lost in the sea of negativity that shrouds every other post in this forsaken land of shite.
Certainly. Our fan base doesn't deserve good things do we?

We did get answers to questions such as "Did we ever come back Ole?" , "Can we score against low block teams?" ect.. But again as you said was brushed aside with negativity.

Bruce Wayne

Ole was one of my favorite players but as a manager he is a smug buffoon who is smiling come wind rain or shine believing he's doing an excellent terrific job and that's why he's often called a clown. Celebrating a draw against Sheffield United like he won a cup was reminiscent of Moyes pumping his fists and screaming after coming back against Fulham at home and no one would begrudge anyone for calling him an inept clown.
How about when Klopp celebrated that draw against west brom? It was a good come back.

Would you rather ole looked depressed and complained every week? How would it help players morale and motivation?

Moyes took over a team that won the league. There was a lot of leadership and talent in the squad. The team was miles better than the current team.

The team is lacking players in a few key positions. This was a problem for a while now. It’s not Ole’s fault and injuries don’t make it easier.

it’s not an easy transition but giving manager time to stabilize things will be better. If anything, replace Woodward (or find him partnership only role) and figure out what’s up with our scouts.

zenith

Anyone remember the lines the song 'beautiful loser'

Just occurred to be that those lines might perfectly capture the current state of our non match going fans, who seem to want everything without giving up on anything..

The current challenge for a manager is
Akin to basically performing a heart surgery on a man running a marathon. We have to win games, playing an attractive brand of football, while giving academy guys plenty of chances, clearing the deadwood and integrating expensive transfers. There is just no winning or patience.

I have no doubt that those calling for the managers head will be doing the absolute same when poch is appointed and the team has their first dip in form. Then it'll be all about appointing the new Dortmund or Leipzig manager.

Let's wait to get some of our key injured players back and see how we do. As it is we are not on such a bad run of form

croadyman

I want to hire Poch, but not yet. I think the best way to move forward is to secure the signing of Pochettino and let him be on a holiday for the rest of the season.

Personally I don´t have anything against Ole, quite the opposite. He is a positive person and he is a United man, but lets be honest here. He is not a good tactician and we have been in poor form for a while now. Lack of imagination in attack, silly mistakes in the defence and our overall performances have not been moving in the right direction. We have seen glimpses of better football (Brighton, first 45min vs Pool) but overall we are poor. Im quite pleased with the additions of Maguire, James and AWB but that was not near enough. McTominay, Martial, Rashford, James and Greenwood have made progress this season and its delightful, but is it enough?

Pochettino has a great track record of developing players and we have the youngest squad in the league, match made in heaven right? He got Spurs with limited resources punching way above their weight, and they did so quite consistenly for the last four or five seasons. I personally think he would jump at the chance to become our manager. Always speaks highly about Manchester United, and SAF in particular. In Mancherster he would have more resources than at Spurs, a young squad with high potential and he would get a fresh start. This season, and the end of last year, Spurs were a mess but I dont think its completely his fault. Ageing players, contracts runned down and Kane has not been the same after a couple of injuries.

Tbf many of us have been hoping to get Pochettino for a while now. Ole did a great job last winter and he gave us the memory of the comeback in Paris, but its time go. Let him have this season, as we are not going to finish top 4 anyway. Personally I could not care less about EL-football, and sack him with some dignity at the end of the season. In a perfect scenario he would be a part of Pochettinos staff, but I dont think he would like to be anything else than the main man.
Very good post and couldn't have put it any better myself. We cannot afford to let Bayern secure him ahead of us otherwise we will seriously regret it.

I do get the impression that Ole has gone back on his word that he would resign if he felt that Utd were declining under him.

I will admit that I don't go to the amount of games that I used to due to money,however if I did my feelings on the managerial situation would still be exactly the same.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You have gotta be kidding me!! What's all this crap about who else is available?? So are you telling me that Klopp and Pep are the only managers in the world who are better than Ole Solskjaer? There is Pochettino and there is Allegri and both of them are as sure as hell better than Ole. It grinds my ears whenever I hear 'the who else is available' nonsense. I would even take the manager of bloody Sheffield United ahead of Ole right now. At least, he can organize a team to play more than the sum of it's parts, something Ole has not been able to do for close to a year now!
It's really very silly. There are many managers doing a terrific job at their respective clubs. That none of them are good enough for us just because they aren't sat infront of our eyes as the most obvious examples, makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, just as an example, I bet a short while ago, half this forum would have laughed at the idea of Rodgers managing a top 4 club yet at this present moment he is doing just that. There's always talent out there. It's about being to identify and bring it to your club.

I simply ask - would we apply this logic to anything else? Would we refuse to replace Lingard, for example, because 'who really is out there?'? We wouldn't. And I imagine the reason some people are unwilling to apply this logic is:
  • Manager change fatigue - A bizarre phenomenon that has afflicted many United fans in recent times. Hardly needs to be explained why this is utterly daft. You never stick with the current plan because of an unwillingness to change. You stick with it because you believe in it.
  • A refusal to believe that Ole could simply not be good enough or an underlying hope that there is a proper manager in him.
Again, if someone truly believes in Ole then good for them. But I dont think we should stick with anyone for the sake of it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Negatives:

Signed jones and mata new contracts then ships out smalling
Still plays ashley young in the league
Results on the pitch have been very pedestrian/shit
no obvious footballing philosophy/style
did not supplement midfield even though it is a glaring weakness
Has a happy to be here attitude, no intimidation factor to the opposition/refs/media
Will not criticize the board or woodward

Positives:
Heavy emphasis on the academy lads and bringing through a lot of young quality
Understands the weight and history of the badge
slowly phasing out young and matic
man its hard to find positives tbh

Overall i think there is no doubt ole is failing to meet expectations. The question is how long do we give him to show consistent progress. I am kind of with the board in that we don't do anything rash in the middle of the season and reassess at the end of may or when 4th is mathematically out of our reach.

Son

Pogba won't play for United again mate, pretty sure he'll go in January. I'm not even convinced he's injured.
I hope he does stay. It will be a shame to see him go on such a low key note if it happens. I have no bad will towards him though. He proved he’s a United fan by coming back here in the first place so it’s his decision now.

Well i was against from day one but then emotions and love towards Ole were high and you needed to start every post with " i love Ole more than life and he is great, i want his baby but..."
I’m guilty of this. We all love Paul Scholes too but we don’t want him to be United manager either.

Our academy is having let’s face it unexpected success promoting players to the first team and our manager is riding the coat tails of this to a degree.

They should pay Ole big money to become our head of youth development rather than our manager. I still believe we will start seeing City produce and keep better youth products in the coming years so we may be playing catchup soon in our own city alone.

Mainoldo

He was hired in OCT and came 8th in his first season. He then came 4th
He came 4th in his first full season. After having a summer transfer window like we like to give all our managers the privilege of.

You know being hired in October was not his first full season and you also know he made a Europa league final in that season and then went on to make a Champions league final after. Is Ole going to eclipse that?

No. So give him some respect and stop comparing a turd to a diamond.

midnightmare

Negatives:

Signed jones and mata new contracts then ships out smalling
Still plays ashley young in the league
Results on the pitch have been very pedestrian/shit
no obvious footballing philosophy/style
did not supplement midfield even though it is a glaring weakness
Has a happy to be here attitude, no intimidation factor to the opposition/refs/media
Will not criticize the board or woodward

Positives:
Heavy emphasis on the academy lads and bringing through a lot of young quality
Understands the weight and history of the badge
slowly phasing out young and matic
man its hard to find positives tbh

Overall i think there is no doubt ole is failing to meet expectations. The question is how long do we give him to show consistent progress. I am kind of with the board in that we don't do anything rash in the middle of the season and reassess at the end of may or when 4th is mathematically out of our reach.
I'd edit that a fair bit:

Negatives:
- Jones, Mata on new deals, albeit there is a strong possibility this was done seeing what we were likely to get in the summer
- Results have been poor against weak teams that we should be trampling over
- Questionable fitness of the squad, given frequent injuries etc. (mitigated slightly by the overwhelmingly unfit squad inherited)
- Continuing preference of Pereira / Lingard over say a Garner in midfield
- In-game tactics and changes remain very questionable (albeit less so in recent games - though they were against "weaker" teams)

Positives:
- Nailed most big games. While his record against weak teams is poor, he's been very good in most of the big games he's played
- Been a massive boost to the youth; Young phased out completely now in all probability
- Has refrained from putting kids under "extreme" pressure, even risking his own position (like not thrusting Garner into a midfield alongside Fred and ahead of Jones) while still giving them very good opportunities to grow into the squad and cement a position (look at Williams)
- Matic dumped; Lukaku sold; Fellaini gone.
- Signings have been good; it's easy to say "they were all obvious" - but 3 previous managers managed to eff it all up and he's still got the same Ed above him
- He does still, despite the form, seem to have the team behind him, unlike a certain toxic personality before him

I don't believe we should be "fine" with mediocrity and I feel we can and should have a better manager. But it's only the blind and members of the Moo cult that would say Ole hasn't given us any positives at all.

midnightmare

They should pay Ole big money to become our head of youth development rather than our manager. I still believe we will start seeing City produce and keep better youth products in the coming years so we may be playing catchup soon in our own city alone.
Based on what, exactly? Our youth system overhaul under Butt has been very good indeed. Our youth teams are younger than almost every peer and we're hoovering up some of the best young talent on the continent all the time. We have loads of super-exciting youth players. Most won't make it - but hopefully a bunch will. Do you watch or follow the youth teams or is this based off some random report / assumption? (Genuine question and not meant as a slight)

RUCK4444

Negatives:
- Jones, Mata on new deals, albeit there is a strong possibility this was done seeing what we were likely to get in the summer
- Questionable fitness of the squad, given frequent injuries etc. (mitigated slightly by the overwhelmingly unfit squad inherited)
- In-game tactics and changes remain very questionable (albeit less so in recent games - though they were against "weaker" teams)

Positives:
- Nailed most big games. While his record against weak teams is poor, he's been very good in most of the big games he's played
- Been a massive boost to the youth; Young phased out completely now in all probability
- Has refrained from putting kids under "extreme" pressure, even risking his own position (like not thrusting Garner into a midfield alongside Fred and ahead of Jones) while still giving them very good opportunities to grow into the squad and cement a position (look at Williams)
- Signings have been good; it's easy to say "they were all obvious" - but 3 previous managers managed to eff it all up and he's still got the same Ed above him
- He does still, despite the form, seem to have the team behind him, unlike a certain toxic personality before him

I don't believe we should be "fine" with mediocrity and I feel we can and should have a better manager. But it's only the blind and members of the Moo cult that would say Ole hasn't given us any positives at all.
This. I’ve been saying this is the most frustrating thing about the Ole-out crowd, for me there are some important positives that we never saw under previous managers, positives that in the long run are vital imo.

SteveW

For weeks it was complaints about lack of creativity and goals. Patterns of play etc. We've scored 15 goals in our last 6 games. There's no point in pretending Ole isn't making some sort of progress with our attack. The forwards are developing a nice understanding. We have a pacey and talented front 3 and finally a manager who plays Martial and Rashford in their best positions. Sheffield United are one of the toughest defenses in the league and we cut them apart. That's with a completely non existent midfield giving them little to no service.

We've seen that he can manage effectively against the big teams. He's now showing that without even having a functional midfield that his young team are learning break down the smaller teams like Norwich, Brighton and Sheffield United. So at one time or another despite having a very weak squad Ole has answered the various questions thrown at him. What is lacking is consistency. We simply haven't had the players to cope without Martial, Pogba or McTominay. When more than one of these have been missing we've hardly picked up any points. We don't have anyone to replace them.

People need to be patient and let him bring in the players he needs. When Pogba and Scott are back we will have a much better idea of what a Solskjaer team will look like. Once he brings in proper backup for them we will be much better equipped to deal with injuries without dropping so many points.

Mainoldo

For weeks it was complaints about lack of creativity and goals. Patterns of play etc. We've scored 15 goals in our last 6 games. There's no point in pretending Ole isn't making some sort of progress with our attack. The forwards are developing a nice understanding. We have a pacey and talented front 3 and finally a manager who plays Martial and Rashford in their best positions. Sheffield United are one of the toughest defenses in the league and we cut them apart. That's with a completely non existent midfield giving them little to no service.

We've seen that he can manage effectively against the big teams. He's now showing that without even having a functional midfield that his young team are learning break down the smaller teams like Norwich, Brighton and Sheffield United. So at one time or another despite having a very weak squad Ole has answered the various questions thrown at him. What is lacking is consistency. We simply haven't had the players to cope without Martial, Pogba or McTominay. When more than one of these have been missing we've hardly picked up any points. We don't have anyone to replace them.

People need to be patient and let him bring in the players he needs. When Pogba and Scott are back we will have a much better idea of what a Solskjaer team will look like. Once he brings in proper backup for them we will be much better equipped to deal with injuries without dropping so many points.
Fortunately I don’t think we will. He’s going to get himself sacked in the next two weeks.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Negatives:

Positives:

I accept the big games point. He has done above average in those though it could be argued it suits his defend and counter attack with pace style the most. He also does seems to have a much better dressing room atmosphere though how much of that is due to the players not feeling the pressure they should is debatable. I would also say it's way too early to judge any of the signings. 2/3 have had very good starts to their first 6 months but lets wait a full season before we judge them as successes or failures.

I guess you could say I'm Ole out because i just honestly don't think he's good enough. I want us to have one of the best managers in the world and unfortunately right now nobody would put Ole in that bracket. However he is doing some very good things. We consistently play the youngest 11 in the whole league and i love it. This season will be very bumpy especially if we miss Pogba( 100% our best player btw) for more than we already have.
I appreciate the match going fans trying to make it a positive atmosphere unlike the ones at arse. If we win the europa or fa cup and at least challenge for 4th it will turn it into a successful season. I realise a lot of us grew up with 2nd place in the league = failure but those days are gone. we had the greatest manager ever give us unprecedented success the likes of which we will never see again.

midnightmare

I accept the big games point. He has done above average in those though it could be argued it suits his defend and counter attack with pace style the most. He also does seems to have a much better dressing room atmosphere though how much of that is due to the players not feeling the pressure they should is debatable. I would also say it's way too early to judge any of the signings. 2/3 have had very good starts to their first 6 months but lets wait a full season before we judge them as successes or failures.

I guess you could say I'm Ole out because i just honestly don't think he's good enough. I want us to have one of the best managers in the world and unfortunately right now nobody would put Ole in that bracket. However he is doing some very good things. We consistently play the youngest 11 in the whole league and i love it. This season will be very bumpy especially if we miss Pogba( 100% our best player btw) for more than we already have.
I appreciate the match going fans trying to make it a positive atmosphere unlike the ones at arse. If we win the europa or fa cup and at least challenge for 4th it will turn it into a successful season. I realise a lot of us grew up with 2nd place in the league = failure but those days are gone. we had the greatest manager ever give us unprecedented success the likes of which we will never see again.
All fair points and they echo a lot of my own thoughts. Like I've said too, I believe we deserve a better manager. But that should not blind us to the bunch of positive things Ole has done and is doing. On players not feeling the pressure, I don't think that's the case. They're always in the eye of the world and have the media slamming the slightest slip, while despite recent history (6 years and counting), success is taken with an air of, "Well, that's the barest minimum we expect". Look at this forum itself. There are people that have already written off the likes of Chong, Gomes and even Greenwood. People compare Rashford (unfavourably at that) with Welbeck.

Can we believe that these players don't know what's written and said in the media and on social media? I'm pretty sure they know. The pressure on all players - and even the youngsters - is insane. We can't possibly believe that having Ole there means that these players feel no pressure. People on here harp on and on about Ole not starting Garner. Have no illusions. If Garner was to start and make even a small error that leads to a goal, he'll be written off as "Championship level". If you doubt that, just look at the opinions on the Rashford thread...even now.

KekiZeki

Better at what price? You choose to ignore the type of players they brought in and the type of relationship towards the club these players had? They threw money at it for a short term success and lead us to become the financial laughing stock, managing to outspend City in some windows and for what? League cup or Europa were worth it?
We need to build young squad that will grow and only bring players who will work hard for the team, not ready made "stars" who are disciplinary night mare to have. Getting rid of Sanchez might be the best managerial move by Solskjaer, that type of toxicity in the team can hurt more than a good signing can improve the team.

And for all those who say he loves and cares for the club, well then where is his resignation? We all heard in the time he was caretaker that he'd be low risk, cheap and would do the honorable thing of stepping down if it became apparent that the job was above him

Well we're paying this guy 10 million a year to tell us that shipping in 3 goals was an improvement on shipping 4-5 goals from last season after spending 150 million on defense.

When we're 15th place after Mourinho's spurs teach Ole a lesson and City batter us, he will still come out with more shocking post match interviews praising how much of a hard working group of lads he's got and they're learning tough lessons and other bullshit, instead of resigning like any self respecting manager who really did love and care for the club over their own selfish ends.

He will just like Mourinho and Moyes hold out for his severance package which he wouldn't have deserved
With this team, there is not a manager in the world who wouldn't celebrate coming back to Sheffield after going down. That's the reality of the situation and we're not going to fix it by jumping in for any recently sacked manager out there and trying it again for couple of seasons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"If he loves the club, he should have resigned" is such a weird take, wonder whether the posters think before posting.

If he didn't back himself and have self confidence, he wouldn't have moved out of Molde as a player. These players who are playing at high level and managing at high level always back themselves and are confident in their abilities. Mentality is one of the most important factor and somehow people assume he should resign 4 months into the season.

Enigma_87

You know who
For all saying signings have been good we're very early to say that Maguire will come good. We have seen some signs of issues with his play in certain games and he is 80m pound defender - that price tag comes with a lot different expectations compared to say 20m James.

Ancient Of Days

How about when Klopp celebrated that draw against west brom? It was a good come back.

Would you rather ole looked depressed and complained every week? How would it help players morale and motivation?

Moyes took over a team that won the league. There was a lot of leadership and talent in the squad. The team was miles better than the current team.

The team is lacking players in a few key positions. This was a problem for a while now. It’s not Ole’s fault and injuries don’t make it easier.

it’s not an easy transition but giving manager time to stabilize things will be better. If anything, replace Woodward (or find him partnership only role) and figure out what’s up with our scouts.
You don't need to go from one extreme to the other. Of course Ole shouldn't look despondent but neither should he have been so overjoyed while team was made to look like championship level minors for 70 minutes of the game, playing against a recently newly promoted club that actually did consist of championship level minors

Klopp celebration against west brom was ott which he was criticized for, however it served a purpose and context is needed to take into account that he had just taken over Liverpool, in his 3rd month at the club and was still trying to form bonds with the players which is why he would get them to do huddles and link arms after games to build morale more than celebrating for the belief that result was any good.

Ole celebrating by himself wasn't to build morale or send out a unifying message, he celebrated because he genuinely believed scraping a point away at Sheffield United after losing the lead in the dying minutes, due to poor in game management, was a job well done and is enough to hold on to his job. In summary Klopps celebration was a signal to his players to bond, Ole's celebration was out of self preservation and desperation.

His post match comments said it all, where he's talking about how much the youngsters have improved compared to when they played Everton.

Contrast to that when he first took charge and where is all the big tough guy talk about ''this is manchester united you expect to win every game

Remember this tough talk?

''When you come into a club like this you expect to win games," said Solskjaer.

"And when you win four, you expect to win the next one as well. I don't look at them and think we can't win that. I think we can win every single game''

Now actions speak louder than words, so when we go into every game with underdog Neil Warnock styled tactics then we find out for ourselves that the guy is full of shit and has lowered expectations to where today people think wins over Norwich and Brighton are something special to savor because we have had this substitute teacher, talking up how difficult it will be to gain victory over such teams.

As for Moyes, the squad wasn't much better at all than what Ole had to choose from.

Remember we had no midfield after years of neglect from Fergie in that area. It was full of ageing fading stars on their last legs like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick and Ryan Giggs. Good for nothing players like Anderson and Cleverly and yes while there was still quality and should have been doing much better with the likes of RVP, Rooney, Nani, Kawaga, Januzaj, that team wasn't really in the shape to win another prem and it wasn't much better than a team filled with Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini, Rashford, Martial, Smalling, Lindeloff, Lukkaku,

The narrative at the time of Moyes, by his supporters at least who were calling for him to be given more time, is that even SAF would have struggled with that squad. Sounds very familiar doesn't it.

We were expected to challenge for the title, or finish 3rd at the very least to accommodate Moyes transitional year. After it was apparent he was struggling we then said as long as he qualifies for the CL he'd be good. He fecked that up and we finished 7th which was considered unacceptable and so rightly, was given the boot. But in that time during his tenure he did not once have the team drop any lower than 7th and actually done himself justice in the CL.

We actually outplayed most of our opponents, the problem with moyes is that he didn't really have the players on his side and didn't have much tactical variation to break down teams besides having our players rely on width and crosses or have any tactical nous to approach the big games in the right way.

He certainly is a more credible and capable manager than Ole, who has not shown us any other tactic besides sit deep and counter for kick and rush speed merchant football. Any manager with badges could take over United and do those cheap tactics, it doesn't take a genius to be negative and pump long balls forward to speedsters.

Ole has taken a team that finished 2nd before last, and brainwashed his cult of fans into believing that a finish in the top half of the table would be a job well done. In the summer he lowered expectations by saying we'd be fortunate to finish 6th, and our fans adjusted their expectations for him. Now 6th is asking too much.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You don't need to go from one extreme to the other. Of course Ole shouldn't look despondent but neither should he have been so overjoyed while team was made to look like championship level minors for 70 minutes of the game, playing against a recently newly promoted club that actually did consist of championship level minors

Klopp celebration against west brom was ott which he was criticized for, however it served a purpose and context is needed to take into account that he had just taken over Liverpool, in his 3rd month at the club and was still trying to form bonds with the players which is why he would get them to do huddles and link arms after games to build morale more than celebrating for the belief that result was any good.

Ole celebrating by himself wasn't to build morale or send out a unifying message, he celebrated because he genuinely believed scraping a point away at Sheffield United after losing the lead in the dying minutes, due to poor in game management, was a job well done and is enough to hold on to his job. In summary Klopps celebration was a signal to his players to bond, Ole's celebration was out of self preservation and desperation.

His post match comments said it all, where he's talking about how much the youngsters have improved compared to when they played Everton.

Contrast to that when he first took charge and where is all the big tough guy talk about ''this is manchester united you expect to win every game

Remember this tough talk?

''When you come into a club like this you expect to win games," said Solskjaer.

"And when you win four, you expect to win the next one as well. I don't look at them and think we can't win that. I think we can win every single game''

Now actions speak louder than words, so when we go into every game with underdog Neil Warnock styled tactics then we find out for ourselves that the guy is full of shit and has lowered expectations to where today people think wins over Norwich and Brighton are something special to savor because we have had this substitute teacher, talking up how difficult it will be to gain victory over such teams.

As for Moyes, the squad wasn't much better at all than what Ole had to choose from.

Remember we had no midfield after years of neglect from Fergie in that area. It was full of ageing fading stars on their last legs like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick and Ryan Giggs. Good for nothing players like Anderson and Cleverly and yes while there was still quality and should have been doing much better with the likes of RVP, Rooney, Nani, Kawaga, Januzaj, that team wasn't really in the shape to win another prem and it wasn't much better than a team filled with Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini, Rashford, Martial, Smalling, Lindeloff, Lukkaku,

The narrative at the time of Moyes, by his supporters at least who were calling for him to be given more time, is that even SAF would have struggled with that squad. Sounds very familiar doesn't it.

We were expected to challenge for the title, or finish 3rd at the very least to accommodate Moyes transitional year. After it was apparent he was struggling we then said as long as he qualifies for the CL he'd be good. He fecked that up and we finished 7th which was considered unacceptable and so rightly, was given the boot. But in that time during his tenure he did not once have the team drop any lower than 7th and actually done himself justice in the CL.

We actually outplayed most of our opponents, the problem with moyes is that he didn't really have the players on his side and didn't have much tactical variation to break down teams besides having our players rely on width and crosses or have any tactical nous to approach the big games in the right way.

He certainly is a more credible and capable manager than Ole, who has not shown us any other tactic besides sit deep and counter for kick and rush speed merchant football. Any manager with badges could take over United and do those cheap tactics, it doesn't take a genius to be negative and pump long balls forward to speedsters.

Ole has taken a team that finished 2nd before last, and brainwashed his cult of fans into believing that a finish in the top half of the table would be a job well done. In the summer he lowered expectations by saying we'd be fortunate to finish 6th, and our fans adjusted their expectations for him. Now 6th is asking too much.
Lots of pertinent points raised there.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Take a bow.

passing-wind

If he doesn't make top four he must be shown the door. It's as simple as that, I cannot see how anyone can fathom allowing Ole to keep his job with a poor league campaign especially after LVG won a domestic cup and finished 5th and was booted. The standards cannot be allowed to further recline, we are the biggest club in English football and for some it's either Solskjaer or bust :lol:.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he doesn't make top four he must be shown the door. It's as simple as that, I cannot see how anyone can fathom allowing Ole to keep his job with a poor league campaign especially after LVG won a domestic cup and finished 5th and was booted. The standards cannot be allowed to further recline, we are the biggest club in English football and for some it's either Solskjaer or bust :lol:.
What is top 4 going to give us anyway? More money? Top 4 will be very nice but I don’t think that’s the case to say that we are making progress or anything else. You look at previously, everytime we made it to top 4, next following season we went worse & finished outside top 4. I don’t see it being top 4 alone as a standard.

United standard should be winning major trophy but right now we are in a position of rebuilding the squad. The manager deserves 2 summer transfer window to judge what he can do. I don’t see top 4 only will help the team to make progress because the past story tells you not.

Are we afraid of losing our players? Only Pogba will leave whether we get top 4 or no while the rest of the players will stay as long as the manager wants them to stay. Also, it’s not like everytime we got top 4 in the past, we went to sign superstar because the last time we got top 4 our signings were Fred, Dalot & Grant. This summer window even prove that signing players like Maguire, James & Bissaka are capable to upgrade the players in our squad and the manager job to improve the players, just like what we normally do in the past turning talented players into top star players.

If our players show a lot of improvement until end of the season, we can get a lot of benefit for the next following season and to me it’s part of progress. It’s better than getting top 4 for one season but players are not making any improvement & next following season we are going decline and out of top 4 again.

Alabaster Codify7

What is top 4 going to give us anyway? More money? Top 4 will be very nice but I don’t think that’s the case to say that we are making progress or anything else. You look at previously, everytime we made it to top 4, next following season we went worse & finished outside top 4. I don’t see it being top 4 alone as a standard.

United standard should be winning major trophy but right now we are in a position of rebuilding the squad. The manager deserves 2 summer transfer window to judge what he can do. I don’t see top 4 only will help the team to make progress because the past story tells you not.

Are we afraid of losing our players? Only Pogba will leave whether we get top 4 or no while the rest of the players will stay as long as the manager wants them to stay. Also, it’s not like everytime we got top 4 in the past, we went to sign superstar because the last time we got top 4 our signings were Fred, Dalot & Grant. This summer window even prove that signing players like Maguire, James & Bissaka are capable to upgrade the players in our squad and the manager job to improve the players, just like what we normally do in the past turning talented players into top star players.

If our players show a lot of improvement until end of the season, we can get a lot of benefit for the next following season and to me it’s part of progress. It’s better than getting top 4 for one season but players are not making any improvement & next following season we are going decline and out of top 4 again.

Yes. This is what the board wants and this is ultimately why Moyes, LVG and Jose were all fired - they failed to meet their basic requirements on the field and in the league table. The board didn't get their top 4 / CL money.

Ole's requirements might be a bit less. Might be. We don't know for sure.

When Ed Woodward says he expects the team to be unable to challenge immediately, he is not going to tolerate a 12-13th position finish, believe you me.

He is expecting a scraped 4th finish at best, at worst, 5-6th position with enough glimmers of hope to spin a top 4 finish in 2020/21 to the shareholders and sponsors.

He cannot spin 13th position to these people. Not in a blue moon. Therefore, he will need to take 'affirmative action' to show these people he will not stand for such poor performances again and that next season we'll deliver a better product for them.

IE - Goodbye Ole, hello 'Manager X who is better'.

If Ole wants to be here next season, he'd better finish 6th at worst.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes. This is what the board wants and this is ultimately why Moyes, LVG and Jose were all fired - they failed to meet their basic requirements on the field and in the league table. The board didn't get their top 4 / CL money.

Ole's requirements might be a bit less. Might be. We don't know for sure.

When Ed Woodward says he expects the team to be unable to challenge immediately, he is not going to tolerate a 12-13th position finish, believe you me.

He is expecting a scraped 4th finish at best, at worst, 5-6th position with enough glimmers of hope to spin a top 4 finish in 2020/21 to the shareholders and sponsors.

He cannot spin 13th position to these people. Not in a blue moon. Therefore, he will need to take 'affirmative action' to show these people he will not stand for such poor performances again and that next season we'll deliver a better product for them.

IE - Goodbye Ole, hello 'Manager X who is better'.

If Ole wants to be here next season, he'd better finish 6th at worst.
You need to see the difference.

Under LVG he achieved top 4 because he signed Di Maria, Rojo & Falcao, at the same time he had some proven PL winner experience players who is about to decline like Young, Rooney, RVP & Carrick. Tell me what improvement he made into our squad from his first season? Nothing, even though he achieved top 4, no players were benefit from him to be part of the rebuilding process to success in the future. Di Maria, RVP & Falcao left, while young, Rooney, & Carrick were declining. Next following season he had to make a new team & were left with some deadwood, the result is we are out of top 4 and going backward.

Under Mourinho, he wanted to win trophy straight away and make sure he achieve CL or top 4 spot. So he went to sign proven players like Zlatan, Matic, Lukaku, Pogba, & Sanchez. What improvement he made into our squad from his first season? Nothing, he finished 2nd place but his signings are now declining and deadwood, made no improvement on the likes of Rashford & Martial because he prefer to wasted our money to secure top 4 position by signing Zlatan, Lukaku & Sanchez we are once again going backward.

What Ole is doing right now is the opposite, we are aiming to improve the players that we have. Develop the young players to be top star. We saw what happened in the past that if we go short route just because we want to achieve top 4 and refuse to focus on improving & developing young inconsistent players will risk our top 4 chance will not be a progress for the team but only waste of money.

Sterling Archer

I'm quite confused by the dramatic shift in tone from seasons passed. From hearing that finishing 2nd in the league and an FA Cup final was not good enough to how we should focus on developing our youth rather than finishing in the Top 4.

Even stranger is how any of the past managers failures are an excuse to let the current one underperform without criticism.

We're nearing a full season worth of matches with Ole in charge, including a full preseason. It's not gone well. I don't see a midtable position so far off top four as even remotely acceptable for this club.

Judas

Open to offers
In the past us not getting top 4 didn't have much of an impact on the type of players we can attract, but now it does, because we have shown a pattern of failure to achieve that status, and we can throw lots of money at players, but we're just not a believable bet to be in the CL anymore. It's not just the odd bad year and we bounce back, we're much more likely to miss out on CL football than not.

I just can't help but feel Ole's history is allowing him to get away with so much more than any other manager would.

The Bloody-Nine

In the past us not getting top 4 didn't have much of an impact on the type of players we can attract, but now it does, because we have shown a pattern of failure to achieve that status, and we can throw lots of money at players, but we're just not a believable bet to be in the CL anymore. It's not just the odd bad year and we bounce back, we're much more likely to miss out on CL football than not.

I just can't help but feel Ole's history is allowing him to get away with so much more than any other manager would.
And let's face it, what top players are dreaming of playing for Ole? Outside of our club, he's a managerial nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.