Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Love what Ole is saying about Greenwood, but he has gotten the junk minutes so far. I want Greenwood to start a competitive game, he has done enough in the u-23 to get a chance.

C'est Moi Cantona

The thing is Ole is a gambling appointment, after short trial, popularity poll by the public consensus. Woodward can escape the blame again easily, especially when OGS taking the stance of not publicly criticizing the owner. SAF being SAF could do that and still be successful while absorbing pressure from the Glazers and we as a club can still feel hard done by the years of underinvested. OGS can easily be a sacrificial lamb if he wouldn't be able to achieve something. I was extremely gutted when we went out of the FA Cup. Even making the final without winning, could have put OGS in better situation.
Just don't see it like that, maybe if he'd followed SAF, or followed Moyes, but we're now so far into our mediocity, and after he's choosen Ole over his clearly made up plan of getting Poch and a DOF, (you know a proper plan for once), then no, I don't think we can just sack Ole and do the whole thing all over again, not without a real backlash at least.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Is that preseason dig a reference to Sanchez and Lukaku? Can't really think who else would be holding Greenwood back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have faith in ole. I really do think he can turn us around.

It’s almost unfortunate he had such a good start as people inevitably say now it was just a honeymoon period. Realistically he should never have done that well.

He’s going to need a few windows to reshape this squad, but ole is a proper football man and he knows a player. He isn’t going to accept people half assing.

dogwithabone

”Mason Greenwood is 17 years old. He is a player for me. I want to give him the chance to become a top player at this club”

I love that! How great that must feel for the likes of Greenwood.

I’m all for that but United can’t be a learning school for footballers. At Greenwood’s age Rooney was stamping his mark on a team, that’s the sort of 17 year olds I want to see promoted. LVG talked a lot of crap when he was here but one thing I always thought he said with some validity is that any young kids being chucked in have to deliver, in the way Rashford did and Rooney too.

haram

He’s going to need a few windows to reshape this squad, but ole is a proper football man and he knows a player. He isn’t going to accept people half assing.
You can say this about the last two managers.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I find this awkward if true. At the end of the day, Phelan is only the assistant manager. Can you imagine an article saying "Mikel Arteta's preference..." or " Rui Faria's preference..." regarding transfers ?

Also, I find this british obsession nonsense and counterproductive. If you're good enough you're "british" enough?:)
Firstly 99% of what's written about football is false, and secondly if he has said this, why isn't he allowed to say whatever he wants.
I’m all for that but United can’t be a learning school for footballers. At Greenwood’s age Rooney was stamping his mark on a team, that’s the sort of 17 year olds I want to see promoted. LVG talked a lot of crap when he was here but one thing I always thought he said with some validity is that any young kids being chucked in have to deliver, in the way Rashford did and Rooney too.
Michael Owen was also ''chucked in' at a similar age, and did remarkably well, but subsequently suffered injury problems, was that because he played too many games at a young age, no one will really know, and Rooney was a man at 16, and had the build and strength of a boxer (which he was), but Ole will play Greenwood when he thinks he is mentally and physically ready. I can see him getting some minutes in a few games off the bench this season. Pre season will give opportunities for a number of the academy graduates, and also the players coming back from loans. I'm really looking forward to next season already, as I think we will see a much happier, younger squad, with more energy, whether we compete for the top trophies or not, but I believe the following season will be the one where we do compete for the big prizes.

Castia

Great quotes.

Only a few weeks ago he had a ‘great bunch of players’ to work with but sudden results have called him to question the players publicly and go on record about a clear out, he’s not fecking about.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ashley Young is not travelling so that is the 1st sign that Ole is backing up his words with his actions. Next I would like to see Martial and Lingard dropped, with Rashford and Lukaku as a partnership or Greenwood added into the mix for a front 3. I dont want him to name drop academy players and not give them a look in, that's just dishonest.

The Nani

Ashley Young is not travelling so that is the 1st sign that Ole is backing up his words with his actions. Next I would like to see Martial and Lingard dropped, with Rashford and Lukaku as a partnership or Greenwood added into the mix for a front 3. I dont want him to name drop academy players and not give them a look in, that's just dishonest.
OGS has already made his mind up about Lukaku. He’s as good as gone. So he’ll barely get a look in with Sanchez fit again. No point in playing an unfit player who doesn’t factor into next season’s plans unless injury strikes again.

I’d love to see Greenwood too, but the fact of the matter is the rest of this season is basically an audition for a few players. So I’m not gonna slate Ole for not throwing Greenwood in. He obviously factors significantly into our plans next season.

fallengt

Not this bollocks again. Some of these lot have been here for more than 3-4 seasons. If they had something to prove they would've done it already. The last two manager said exact same thing

The only reason we don't want to bin half of the squad is because we can't replace them in one window

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To me, this just confirms that Pogba and De Gea are off. No way are they sticking around to be surrounded by the usual losers again.

All that talk about survival of the fittest was a load of rubbish.

He would have already known from LVG & Mourinho's years that this is their usual level. Ole said when he first came that he's been following us.

I don't believe for a second that he actually would want to keep them.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not this bollocks again. Some of these lot have been here for more than 3-4 seasons. If they had something to prove they would've done it already. The last two manager said exact same thing

The only reason we don't want to bin half of the squad is because we can't replace them in one window
I was actually thinking this too. Ole doesn't need to see them daily anymore to know who should get the boot in the summer. He's been with them for 5 months and it's been pretty obvious before that where problems lie.

ValenciaRocks

You have to admire how authentic OGS is in his beliefs.

I love the whole “survival of the fittest” and “are they hungry enough?” culture that he’s trying to bed in.

If players are just here for the money and nothing else, it doesn’t matter how good they are, they need to leave.

Our success during the SAF era was down to having driven squad players, stable core players and a few world class players. As soon as any of these players showed a hint of stagnation, or were looking over their shoulders at other clubs, or were just too old to compete - that would be it, they would be gone - opening up places for the youth or we’d dip into the transfer market.

It is absolutely vital that our standards do not drop like this. No one is guaranteed a starting place and no one is bigger than the club. This is one reason why I think Pogba should go - it will send a vey important message.

This will take a bit of time no doubt but I do think Ole is the man. He looks calm and collected and I’m sure between him, Mike and Carrick they will have a decent plan put in place already. I’m not expecting any big name signings this summer. I’m expecting signings like Diogo Dalot; young, talented and driven personalities.

ValenciaRocks

I love the whole “survival of the fittest” and “are they hungry enough?” culture that he’s trying to bed in.

If players are just here for the money and nothing else, it doesn’t matter how good they are, they need to leave.

Our success during the SAF era was down to having driven squad players, stable core players and a few world class players. As soon as any of these players showed a hint of stagnation, or were looking over their shoulders at other clubs, or were just too old to compete - that would be it, they would be gone - opening up places for the youth or we’d dip into the transfer market.

It is absolutely vital that our standards do not drop like this. No one is guaranteed a starting place and no one is bigger than the club. This is one reason why I think Pogba should go - it will send a vey important message.

This will take a bit of time no doubt but I do think Ole is the man. He looks calm and collected and I’m sure between him, Mike and Carrick they will have a decent plan put in place already. I’m not expecting any big name signings this summer. I’m expecting signings like Diogo Dalot; young, talented and driven personalities.

Intilo

Jose Mourinho got Zlatan , Pogba , Mkhi and Bailly in his first season here , who is Ole going to attract without UCL football next season ? He is manager without proven track record. Just because he said he is playing attacking football doesn't mean it's the reality just check out our stats for the last 10 games , pathetic.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

I understand and generally agree with your sentiment but it's a very naive and idealistic statement to make.

For one, talking about standards can't be allowed to drop. Hello, we have Ashley Young as captain embarrassing himself every week. Our standards have already dropped.

This whole 'survival of the fittest' rubbish is to motivate the existing players as he's got no money to replace them. He can't get rid so he's doing the obvious thing. There's no way he actually wants to keep these players around.

You cannot compare SAF era to now. They were stable and stayed because we were extremely successful. Why would they leave? If you put Giggs or Scholes into today's team, I have no doubt they'd be having second thoughts just like De Gea & Pogba are now.

About the notion of selling our best player to 'send a message'. Yeah great message that.

If we follow your strategy of only buying kids like Dalot, then Pogba & De Gea have every right to either ask for more money to sacrifice a year of their career or ask to leave. It's normal. You can't expect to keep your top players when you're not competing for anything.

What else do we have to offer other than money? We have no guarantee of success to offer anymore.

Lets be real, any potential top class player is only going to be joining us for money nowadays. How are you going to convince them to join our 'project' when they can go to wherever they want? Money.

We need to pay up to get us back to where we belong, unless you want a team full of squad players and kids, which good luck competing with anytime soon.

Then when we have some success to offer, we can begin to start picking and choosing.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To me, this just confirms that Pogba and De Gea are off. No way are they sticking around to be surrounded by the usual losers again.

All that talk about survival of the fittest was a load of rubbish.
What the feck? How on Earth did you come to that conclusion.

Emrethis

I understand and generally agree with your sentiment but it's a very naive and idealistic statement to make.

For one, talking about standards can't be allowed to drop. Hello, we have Ashley Young as captain embarrassing himself every week. Our standards have already dropped.

This whole 'survival of the fittest' rubbish is to motivate the existing players as he's got no money to replace them. He can't get rid so he's doing the obvious thing. There's no way he actually wants to keep these players around.

You cannot compare SAF era to now. They were stable and stayed because we were extremely successful. Why would they leave? If you put Giggs or Scholes into today's team, I have no doubt they'd be having second thoughts just like De Gea & Pogba are now.

About the notion of selling our best player to 'send a message'. Yeah great message that.

If we follow your strategy of only buying kids like Dalot, then Pogba & De Gea have every right to either ask for more money to sacrifice a year of their career or ask to leave. It's normal. You can't expect to keep your top players when you're not competing for anything.

What else do we have to offer other than money? We have no guarantee of success to offer anymore.

Lets be real, any potential top class player is only going to be joining us for money nowadays. How are you going to convince them to join our 'project' when they can go to wherever they want? Money.

We need to pay up to get us back to where we belong, unless you want a team full of squad players and kids, which good luck competing with anytime soon.

Then when we have some success to offer, we can begin to start picking and choosing.
If Giggs or Scholes were in our team now, we would be challenging for the title. Either one of them would completely transform our team, because first, they're leaders, second, they're actual world class and third, they would dominate the dressing room and set the expectations.

If offering players more money is the only way, then how did Liverpool or Tottenham get to where they are now? Don't the same rules apply to them? I don't see them having a broken wage structure or huge wage bill. The reality is, there is a way to get the right players even without throwing money at them and that's what we have to do.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
From these comments, he's not planning to do the major clearout we need.

Why would Pogba & De Gea stay for more of the same next season with no CL too?

When they can go to a club looking to actually compete for the top trophies. Not hard to predict that they won't be itching to stay here.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
From these comments, he's not planning to do the major clearout we need.

Why would Pogba & De Gea stay for more of the same next season with no CL too?

When they can go to a club looking to actually compete for the top trophies. Not hard to predict that they won't be itching to stay here.
Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia have already pretty much confirmed to be leaving.

Players like Darmian/Mata and Rojo extremely likely to follow.

How many did you think would leave?

Reddy Rederson

Scuttlebutt says they want to leave. Ole says the players we have we be assessed in the summer, giving the impression that the sub par standard of players we have will not be getting moved on. Doesnt take rocket science to connect the dots. They wont hang around wasting thier peak years at a club with no ambitions.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia have already pretty much confirmed to be leaving.

Players like Darmian/Mata and Rojo extremely likely to follow.

How many did you think would leave?
Valencia/Darmian/Rojo are inconsequential, they hardly play anyway. Herrera is a blow to lose. We shouldn't be having to replace him on top of everything else. That's just incompetence.

I would happily get rid of most of them, they've proven for years they're not good enough. To hear talk of another chance just grates me. It's just frustrating that we aren't planning to replace them when other clubs seem to manage it just fine.

We're so far behind and it doesn't look like the club is doing everything in its power to succeed. It just hurts me.

Greck

His agent just add a moan hinting the player won't be here forever. Sincerely doubt the quotes can be read as a shining endorsement of Lukaku being one of his own

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ole showing his inexperience there, you should know by now who is going to work out and who isn't. Maybe he's not thinking of the entire team to be fair, but I gotta say it's understandable people would be disappointed with that statement. However, no one knows how easy or difficult it will be to recruit true reinforcements. As some have mentioned, the lack of CL and a coach with very little experience and who hasn't shown a very attractive football for the most part so far could be a hindrance in recruiting players that would actually improve this team without overpaying massively.

Skills

Snitch
Generally it starts going wrong for Manchester United managers when they start talking too much :nervous:

UpWithRivers

....and here it comes. The "give these players a change to prove themselves" spiel.

We are truly fecked.
Along with....
Manchester United rebuild is long-term project, says Ole Gunnar Solskjær - The Guardian

Looks like we are settling for medriocracty. Top 4 and FA cup Is our goal.

The Nani

I know it might be asking a lot, but perhaps a few of you should actually watch Ole’s interview instead of going full retard after extracting whatever you want out of a contextless tweet.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
My point is that Ole shouldn't really have got the job, he is the cheaper, easier option, one that once again puts off the obvious need for us to change our approach, I bet Ed can't believe his luck.

I have no doubt he will be backed to some extent like the rest, but that alone is clearly not enough, we need real change, and alot of a that is getting a top class DOF which will either help a manager, or expose his failings, and make our new need for multiple manager changes an easier transition, rather than a half hearted full on rebuild.

I hope at least that in Ole they will find this won't work this time if it all goes wrong, and the heat will be turned firmly in them.
Where does this narrative come from that Woodward and the board are some cynical money grubbeing hawks? Cant believe i am actually defending them, but the Glazers basically had full control of the club by 2004, and we had plenty of good times since then, including a CL win and one of the best sided we have ever fielded between 2006-2010. They put us in huge debt yes, but they also restructured the financial side of our club, and right now we are making more money than ever, despite being comparatively shite on the pitch. No doubt Gill was a better executive than Woody, but Ferguson leaving was always going to be cataclysmic for us

Of our three former managers, only Jose moaned about the lack of financial backing and he does that every time things start going south. We all know the team is in need of a massive rebuilding job and its not like Woody and the board can pull the wool over our eyes and point at Ole if they obviously fail to back him properly. I also agree that the club structure needs some work. A DoF needs to come inn ASAP and something needs to be done with the scouting network because the last years has just been expensive mega signings or expensive flops.

My point is: I agree that the club needs a structural overhaul, but i dont think Woody and the Glazers are sitting in the boardroom sinisterly cackling in a big pile of money, its more that these are uncharted waters for them and that they have the clubs best interest at heart, they just havent quite figured it out yet

Status
Not open for further replies.