Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fergie had some clout though and came with a reputation from Aberdeen. It took him a while to sort the dressing room out and he did that by getting the leaders there, Robbo for example, in his corner.
Louis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho couldn't sort out the dressing room, that's two of the biggest managers in the modern game. LVG had to use dummy e-mails to try to weed out the bad eggs, Mourinho tried everything under the sun to weed them out (ended up looking like a lunatic because of the crazy shite he tried).

We are in for a long ride.

Moriarty

Louis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho couldn't sort out the dressing room, that's two of the biggest managers in the modern game. LVG had to use dummy e-mails to try to weed out the bad eggs, Mourinho tried everything under the sun to weed them out (ended up looking like a lunatic because of the crazy shite he tried).

We are in for a long ride.
I should have added, I suppose, that player power in 1986 wasn't what it is now. Seems they hold all the cards and if they don't like a manager, he'll go before they do.

passing-wind

He can talk about fitness all he likes but United's ability to play with the ball needs to improve. He can't just hang his hat on counter attacks as that'll be sussed out soon enough.
Van Gaal was right, the only thing that has seperates Jose and Ole is the counter attack.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does anybody think the hard work point is being overplayed? I mean we certainly need to improve this aspect but there are other areas I feel we are even weaker in. Ashley Young but his passing and close control is rubbish. We need the buildup to be better in terms of passing combinations, ability in tight spaces etc

finneh

Does anybody think the hard work point is being overplayed? I mean we certainly need to improve this aspect but there are other areas I feel we are even weaker in. Ashley Young but his passing and close control is rubbish. We need the buildup to be better in terms of passing combinations, ability in tight spaces etc
I think the point is that anyone can work hard, whereas we have some people in the team that can't pass or control the ball better. Of course they need replacing but the players who can do something that would benefit the team but decide not to due to apathy should be the first on the chopping block.

Likewise our midfield is objectively better the Liverpool's but is much worse in reality due to a complete lack of work ethic. The fact that Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum is better than Matic-Pogba-Fred is quite embarrassing given the difference in raw ability.

SteveW

We tried to go from the least fit team in the league with the lowest running stats to a high tempo pressing game in mid season. In the short term we saw what was possible but there was always a good chance it would be unsustainable.

Ole referenced this several times. Have some patience and watch what happens after preseason.

SteveW

I think they are a tired squad. Suddenly switching from zombie football to high press football wasnt sustainable. When players are tired their football goes to shit.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Time for the baby faced assassin to live up to his name.
Yup. The club need to let Ole do what Jose couldn't and clear out the slackers.

admrf

Ole Gunnar is trapped. If he starts to name blame our stars he lose what’s left of the dressing room and if he says he don’t know he’s clueless. It’s a game he can’t win.

The solution is to do what Sir Alex did and take control of the dressing room. Sell for example Martial and De Gea and you will witness a change in attitude. Authority comes with actions, not words.

I agree. Like what Fergie said in his book and Harvard lecture, players should not be allowed to rule/have a power.

Mou said something about lack of desire/commitment towards the end of his stint and saying some care more then the others. When this happens it's about a battle between who is the strongest character: the manager or the players.

Mou had the chance to build and select his team but things did not turn out well. It's just a ruthless business where you will be given a chance and investment then if things do not work well then it's done. Zlatan transfer was excellent one. But signings like Viktor, Bailly, Mkhi, Alexis, Fred turned out did not give instant quality jump than the current team. Lukaku and Pogba might be the strongest candidate to be the first eleven but they also cannot carry the team on their own as well, consistency was also an issue for those two. We can always argue that we are not enough but the hard work part should come in.

Ultimately, the thing is Mou could not manage to motivate the team / manage the dressing room part so that the player will work hard for the sake of the leader/manager, it's like when you watch Narcos-like series, you will do everything for your own Patron. On the pitch, we also have no players like Roy Keane, my God I am dying to have a Roy Keane in United squad now.

Dressing-room wise, I thought this is something that Ole has recognized, following what he said just after he came in - he wants to bring back the fun part (honeymoon period went well). Now that first phase (honeymoon period) has passed. We come to the part where Ole should be ruthless - probably this part came sooner than what he would imagine.

Ole will be given the chance with transfer window and pre-season. What I hope is at least the pre-season management is driven by football and fitness based decision instead of commercial stuff. Finally, I hope we get a hard working player, longevity, suitable personality in the next transfer window.

Un4givableB

Exciting times... not.

A preseason won't make up for being tactically inferior to managers like Nuno Santos and Marco Silva.

Solskjaer isn't PL quality, he was relegated with Cardiff and since then no PL clubs have shown any interest in him.

A leggy team with good tactics are still decent to watch, even if they lose.

Olé has no clue how to impose dominant, 'big club' tactics onto a game at this level - he sat there today and did nothing, he had absolutely no ideas how to even try and change the balance of the game.

The club should act now and bring in a manager worthy of this massive job - let Solskjaer go, and preserve his great legend as a player.

He isn't a good enough manager, and it's crystal clear.

But he gives very good press conference, such a courteous chap.

2Bullish

Ive sold my season tickets. I cannot in good conscience watch this sh it anymore. Taking my boys to Altrincham FC, our second club. Flame me all you like, better in too many ways. I do not feel comfortable supporting a club that pays a shit player 575,0000 a week. It is frankly obscene. I'm going back to grass roots. I'm going back to real football. Laters boys.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Quite interesting that United have ran less than 15 out of 17 opponents since Ole took over.
Ran 8km less than Everton today which is crazy.
Was the same before he took over and our running improved when he took over. However since the string of injuries our pressing and workrate has dropped

R'hllor

Similar bullshit coming from everyone, its like dealing with politics. Squad needs purging, Jones and Young gets contract extension. Talk about effort, desire, fitness, then Matic gets a start and he moves like oil tanker. Pre season threats, wouldnt be surprise that it will turn empty at the end.

el3mel

Was the same before he took over and our running improved when he took over. However since the string of injuries our pressing and workrate has dropped
The stat says we ran less than the opponent in 15 out of 17 matches under Ole. It didn't improve, mate.

SteveW

It's difficult to go from the least fit team in the league to a high tempo pressing game in mid season. They worked their arses off then hit the wall, hence the injury crisis and poor running stats in recent weeks.

They need a preseason geared towards Oleball instead of zombie ball.

Cassidy

If his only diagnosis of our problems is a lack of fitness he'll struggle. Maybe when we don't have the ball but when we have it a lack of running and speed isn't why we're bad in possession.

We don't need preseason to start implementing pass and move
Whilst true. Fitness is a big reason why we are not playing the same way as when Ole first arrived. Pressing and high intensity is at the for front of how he wants us to play

Cassidy

The stat says we ran less than the opponent in 15 out of 17 matches under Ole. It didn't improve, mate.
There were also stats that showed we ran more when he took over. Always depends on what stats you look at. Example how many teams did we outrun before he came?

Cassidy

It's difficult to go from the least fit team in the league to a high tempo pressing game in mid season. They worked their arses off then hit the wall, hence the injury crisis and poor running stats in recent weeks.

Yes thats what my thought are although some players dont belong also

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yep. You can’t suddenly turn people like Matic, martial young etc into pressing monsters over night. I think it’s fair to say we need a big pre season with less stupid commercial activities.

El Jefe

Turning into our very own Brendan Rodgers. We've all been guilty of lapping up the United way rhethoric and cliches he's be reeling out but at the end of the day football is played on the pitch and not in press conferences.

I'm not saying Ole out but the truth is this was always going to be a long shot. Ole seems to have gone into the job to recreate the United of old which in theory is a good thing but Solskjaer is not SAF. If LVG and Mourinho failed, then Ole has the potential to make his tenure here the worst shit show imaginable.

el3mel

There were also stats that showed we ran more when he took over. Always depends on what stats you look at. Example how many teams did we outrun before he came?
Looks like from the stat posted today we got run by everyone bar 2. The issue is still here. It just shows it was never managerial instructions, just our gutless players being spineless and gutless.

RORY65

Looks like from the stat posted today we got run by everyone bar 2. The issue is still here. It just shows it was never managerial instructions, just our gutless players being spineless and gutless.
We were bottom of the running stats last season yet finished 2nd, I would suggest it was instructions (Mourinho sides have never pressed high and he's never had the full backs bomb on) but it's difficult to have a second pre-season with only 1 week off all year.

Cassidy

There are more stats than the one posted today as I said.

el3mel

We were bottom of the running stats last season yet finished 2nd, I would suggest it was instructions (Mourinho sides have never pressed high and he's never had the full backs bomb on) but it's difficult to have a second pre-season with only 1 week off all year.
We're still the same. If it was instructions it would have changed but nope. Also Mourinho is pretty much known for favoring hard work than technical things. It's the players for me.

el3mel

There are more stats than the one posted today as I said.
Bring them so we can discuss them and compare them to the one posted today. Maybe it shows we ran slightly more than Mourinho reign not that we actually outrun our opponents under Ole ?

Cassidy

We're still the same. If it was instructions it would have changed but nope. Also Mourinho is pretty much known for favoring hard work than technical things. It's the players for me.
If you dont seen the difference in tact ial setuo between Oles first block of games and after the injuries then fine. But its clear there is a difference

JohnnyKills

Reckon Sánchez's wages are still causing massive problems in the squad. Pogba, Herrera, Rashford, DDG all clearly unhappy with the money they've been offered. Add to that Lukaku's unhappiness at being dropped and it's easy to see why the mood has been deflated.

RepardReece

It's about time fans started to realise it's not the managers but the players. Jose wasnt a right fit for our club at all but he was completely correct when he said getting our team to 2nd was as far as he could go.

We've seen what the team can do when they do want to play, they showed it when Jose was sacked. Pogba is out of this world on his day. But one good performance every now and then isn't good enough. Get them out. De Gea isn't willing to play for the badge get him out, he's not been the best this season anyway.

The only players I'd keep in this team is Lindelof, Shaw, Rashford and McTominay (and the youngsters). Everyone else needs to go. I like Herrera as well but he's off to PSG by the sounds of it.

The players are a disgrace to this club not OGS. Ferguson wouldn't keep many of these players.

RORY65

We ran out of steam after an hour in the early games when we tried to press then we started getting injuries. You can't have a pre-season where you work on certain things and you have a manager who doesn't want to press and doesn't want to rotate regularly and then suddenly bring in a manager who wants to press, the same thing happened to Liverpool in 2015/16. The difference being they decided to go with a completely different approach because they were getting an elite manager, we're banking on becoming an organised, intense, pressing side under a manager with no track record.

el3mel

If you dont seen the difference in tact ial setuo between Oles first block of games and after the injuries then fine. But its clear there is a difference
Not in the point we're talking about, being outrun by opponent and all that. Actually, to be totally honest nothing much has changed tactically apart from Ole's few first games. Again all these point to the players as Ole and Mourinho surely have different ideas of football so it's them at this point.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's about time fans started to realise it's not the managers but the players. Jose wasnt a right fit for our club at all but he was completely correct when he said getting our team to 2nd was as far as he could go.

We've seen what the team can do when they do want to play, they showed it when Jose was sacked. Pogba is out of this world on his day. But one good performance every now and then isn't good enough. Get them out. De Gea isn't willing to play for the badge get him out, he's not been the best this season anyway.

The only players I'd keep in this team is Lindelof, Shaw, Rashford and McTominay (and the youngsters). Everyone else needs to go. I like Herrera as well but he's off to PSG by the sounds of it.

The players are a disgrace to this club not OGS. Ferguson wouldn't keep many of these players.
People keep on saying this but it is literally impossible to revamp an entire squad in one transfer window. It's FIFA-style nonsense.

Cassidy

Bring them so we can discuss them and compare them to the one posted today. Maybe it shows we ran slightly more than Mourinho reign not that we actually outrun our opponents under Ole ?
You decided to quote me on a point I was making and talking about stats. If you want to disprove what I said then you can bring the stats.

JohnnyKills

I guess the club was as exicted as the fans were. We did win like eleven games in a row, after all. Giving him the contract right away was certainly premature and short-sighted, but maybe it seemed safe enough and was deemed to be what's necessary to recapture an increasingly disillusioned fanbase.
By excited, I presume you mean giddy.

Cassidy

Not in the point we're talking about, being outrun by opponent and all that. Actually, to be totally honest nothing much has changed tactically apart from Ole's few first games. Again all these point to the players as Ole and Mourinho surely have different ideas of football so it's them at this point.
Except that wasnt the point I was making when you quoted me

el3mel

You decided to quote me on a point I was making and talking about stats. If you want to disprove what I said then you can bring the stats.
As far as I'm concerned the one who claims something brings it. have the stat posted today. You claimed there was a different stat. Feels logical for me to bring it yourself to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.