Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_G

It’s frustrating for me because Ole has done just about everything he possibly can to make sure the pre season has been a positive one. Nice football, good results, talk of harmony within the squad.

Yet the club decides to embroil itself in nonsense with Dybala and Eriksen, while selling a player for £70 million on the day of the deadline (even though I want him gone, it just looks awful).

Now we go into the weekend with a black cloud hanging over the club. It’s Ole sat in the presser tomorrow, not Woodward or the Glazers. He gets the can when it all goes wrong.
It's hard to know exactly who we're going for as the press will always use our name to get clicks however I think with Dybala/Eriksen these are the players you have to see about if they become available as they'd definitely add to the squad so I don't think it's stupid that we've tried for them as even if we try and keep hush about it, there are so many parties involved that someone will leak it either way.

With Lukaku, personally I don't think it's wise to sell him without a replacement, but it seems as if OGS didn't want him anyway and perhaps rightly or wrongly he was happy for him to go even without a replacement. I'm not sure if it's all negative though as my reading of it is that it's gone this late because we wanted our valuation to be met which it seems it has- previously the general sentiment I think is that we tend to sell players on the cheap so this is a good step away from that, as to is pulling out of transfers if we don't think the other side really wants to be here (although clearly the Maguire situation seemed to drag out too long do not all good!).

R'hllor

People can act blind and dumb as much as they want but he deserves everything coming in his way good and bad.

AJ10

Regardless of how many we sign this summer or whose fault it is for lack of signings, its the managers job now to........ get on with it.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Based on what Ole said before the summer, regarding the squad and what needed to happen in the summer, I would say hes been hung out to dry yes
You think club decided new contracts for Rojo, Jones, Young and Mata without consulting Ole?

He's gone from surviving of the fittest, and that's the last time you'll see some of these players to I'm happy with the squad and believe in this players- same ones he though aren't good enough in first place.

More and more he looks like yes man for upper managment, would like to be proven wrong but don't think I will be.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You think club decided new contracts for Rojo, Jones, Young and Mata without consulting Ole?

He's gone from surviving of the fittest, and that's the last time you'll see some of these players to I'm happy with the squad and believe in this players- same ones he though aren't good enough in first place.

More and more he looks like yes man for upper managment, would like to be proven wrong but don't think I will be.
I believe he had an idea of what he wanted to do, just like Jose did, and upper management had other ideas or said it wasn't possible.

Unlike Jose, Ole is a yes man in front of the media, but I doubt he will be happy with the situation

Marcus

The transfer window is meant to add reinforcements. It is going to be up to Ole to marshall whatever team he lands up with to find a way to qualify for the CL now that he has had a full pre-season with the players. Go for it Ole. I hope you succeed.

That is plausible Evra even said Woodward renewed his contract without telling him.

Big Andy

Bloke
I don't know what people are expecting from Ole here...

In no way is he ever going to come out and diss Ed or the Glazers...he'd just be signing his own death warrant...

Of course he'll say he's happy with the squad, I wouldn't expect him to tell the press anything other than that.

Some people need to get a reality check, and a grip ffs...

romufc

Ole said in his press conference if he is to succeed some players need to go and 4/5 new players.

he has 3 and no deadwood gone so does this mean players win and he will fail?

Hawks2008

Woodward is a maggot but the failure of this window is partly on Ole's hands too. This whole 'only players who are desperate to here' strategy is just bullshit. Having players who are grateful to be here is how we end up with utter wasters like Jones, Mata, Rojo, Young, Lingard and others being useless year after year but hey they have the desire to be here so it's all good.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's fecked before the season even begins after that window. We've weakened both our midfield and attack whilst failing to get rid of any of the deadwood he supposedly wanted to, and our main top four rivals have both had considerably better windows (Chelsea aside).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

In no way is he ever going to come out and diss Ed or the Glazers...he'd just be signing his own death warrant...

Of course he'll say he's happy with the squad, I wouldn't expect him to tell the press anything other than that.

Exactly, Ole said himself that he wanted to improve all areas of the squad, he hasn't been allowed to do that for one reason or another (see Woodward being a wanker) but he's not exactly going to kick up a fuss about it.

Ole is a football manager, all managers (except Wenger) want to sign footballers, and lots of them... I can't imagine he's any different.

SammyUnited_83

Just please for the love of God play the youngsters. We aren't making top 4 anyway and they at least are exciting. I just can't take another season with Lingard as our main number 10.
This.

If he just ends up playing Matic, Lingard and Mata then what's the point.

IF he uses the youngsters and gives them a proper chance, I could accept this window, though I suspect come Sunday you will see the same old shite.

Be interesting to see if they give Greenwood the 9 shirt btw.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.

The thing is that his statements about surviving of the fittest and last time we've seen some players were clear sign he's not happy with the squad.

But as soon as he got contract of his own those same players become good enough overnight and suddenly squad is good enough?

AJ10

People enjoyed their club being ridiculed by a manager who only cared about himself, so they want that to continue.

Patrick08

Then he should prepared to be the Fall guy for the failures if that comes because Woodward will dump him like he dumped others and also there is no guarantee of him delivering on the targets next summer too or getting fleeced 120m on kid like Sancho would might not hit the ground running in a new league. He will have no hesitation to put all the blame on ole and repeat the same again with a new manager.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Well if he's sold these players with no adequate replacements, he better give loads of opportunities to the youth this season. If he goes with Matic, Mata etc. every single game, then he's just as culpable for the mess we will be in as our incompetent board. I'll get behind him and the team this season and I hope at least half of them have the season of their lives but all footballing logic tells me this is not going to end well.

Why did the players we have got want to join? Almost all of them say they are excited about what Ole has planned and the direction of the club. With our most prolific striker and consistent midfielder leaving without replacement we are relying on the so far inconsistent talent we have and the youth which is unproven. If I'm a player looking to sign for a new club, that represents a big risk to me, not a big opportunity.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I believe he had an idea of what he wanted to do, just like Jose did, and upper management had other ideas or said it wasn't possible.

Unlike Jose, Ole is a yes man in front of the media, but I doubt he will be happy with the situation
If he had ideas different than upper managment why take job in the first place if you know you won't get what's needed to make real changes?

He can be unhappy behind closed doors but infrot of the media he's sending message he's happy with the squad which means he's not putting any pressure on the Woodward and owners who then again get an easy ride.

Shark

@NotShark
As others have mentioned on this forum, it looks like this season will be all about his ability to coach players and have them giving 100% on the pitch regardless of selection. Anything less, and we will sadly find ourselves barely scraping 5th with this squad, as all we've really improved is our defense and our midfield has somehow been weakened. Attack remains pretty much the same, minus a striker who's scored the bulk of our goals over the past two seasons. If he gets us 4th, he deserves another crack to build on what he's done this summer, anything less and I feel the fans simply won't tolerate it and Woodward will throw him under the bus.

JustAGuest

Well...no. Not really. Mistakes can come in many forms. It can be a result of poor concentration, sloppy play, or could be a result of the other team pressuring you into a mistake. None of those things are down to luck. That's something that's in your hands as player, a team, or a coach.

Bad luck is due to something completely out of your hands. Poor decision by a ref, for example. Or a poor decision by a linesman. A penalty that wasn't given, etc. United didn't suffer from a lot of that during those last few games.
I can't recall the team benefiting much from those factors during the good run. Would that then rule out the team being lucky during the good form?

Cassidy

If he had ideas different than upper managment why take job in the first place if you know you won't get what's needed to make real changes?

He can be unhappy behind closed doors but infrot of the media he's sending message he's happy with the squad which means he's not putting any pressure on the Woodward and owners who then again get an easy ride.
I'll repeat, Jose also took the job, its clear from what he said what he was promised is not what he got. LVG said the same thing.
Ole had clear ideas from his words in press conferences last season, he took the job, clearly upper management either coulnd't fufill his requests or changed their minds or over promised.

The difference here is Ole is a United man and won't disrespect the board/club in the press, effectively a yes man.

Our board/club have previous when it comes to not delivering to the managers plans

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Based on what Ole said before the summer, regarding the squad and what needed to happen in the summer, I would say hes been hung out to dry yes
So club decided to go after Dybala and then Ericson in last week of transfer window without him asking them to? If that’s the case, then signing Bisaka and Maguire nothing to do with Ole.

What Ole said before and what happens during are two different things. During is where Ole’s simple personality becomes obvious, where his indecisiveness will slow him down as he ponder which player from list of 5 for 1 position to chase, as he realises some players don’t want to play for him (even Maguire first choice was playing for Pep).

Look at Ole press conferences. Always appears to be thinking very hard to say the most basic things. Never makes clever analogies, never uses power talk or double meaning, and he’s smile most the time just looks weak and nervous.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If it all goes tits up, I hope the fans turn on Woodward not on Ole. Irrespective whether he was good enough to be a United manager or not.

AJ10

So club decided to go after Dybala and then Ericson in last week of transfer window without him asking them to? If that’s the case, then signing Bisaka and Maguire nothing to do with Ole.

What Ole said before and what happens during are two different things. During is where Ole’s simple personality becomes obvious, where his indecisiveness will slow him down as he ponder which player from list of 5 for 1 position to chase, as he realises some players don’t want to play for him (even Maguire first choice was playing for Pep).

Look at Ole press conferences. Always appears to be thinking very hard to say the most basic things. Never makes clever analogies, never uses power talk or double meaning, and he’s smile most the time just looks weak and nervous.
:lol::lol::lol::lol: We have a expert here!!!

Cassidy

Did I mention anything to do with this.

Its very clear Ole wanted plenty of this squad gone, its quite clear that has not happened.
Ole also wanted Herrera to stay (according to Herrera himself) however its the club that messed up the deal

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The thing is that his statements about surviving of the fittest and last time we've seen some players were clear sign he's not happy with the squad.

But as soon as he got contract of his own those same players become good enough overnight and suddenly squad is good enough?
It's got nothing to do with him getting a contract. Ole's trying to get the best out of this squad and he thinks he can improve players. Telling the press what he really thinks isn't going to do us any favours this season when the players have their confidence knocked before we even play a competitive game.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
It's got nothing to do with him getting a contract. Ole's trying to get the best out of this squad and he thinks he can improve players. Telling the press what he really thinks isn't going to do us any favours this season when the players have their confidence knocked before we even play a competitive game.
He'll really improve Matić, Mata, Lingard?

As if players are some kind of delicate flowers who cannot be disturbed. Tell them they aren't good enough in some parts of their game and demand more, it's called constructive criticism to which you expect response from the players. Painted everything as rosy and great while Matić takes 2 minutes to turn around won't make any difference. Telling him to up his game or he'll be out of the door might just work.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Calls Ole simple, yet doesn't look up the correct spelling of Eriksen and Bissaka

Wolff

Just read an article about everything that has changed at the club since he took over. From training methods, use of gps, salad bars, tactics, club environment etc.. Its quite a lot, and the daily running of the club seems ten times more professional. Reading all the moaning on here at the moment, you can argue a lot of you haven't got a fecking clue what you are talking about. Moaning about years of signing wrong players, and then moaning when the club does exactly that, walk away from the wrong signings.. Who in their right mind would sign Longstaff for 50 mill? Who in their right mind would pay Dybalas agent 15 mill? etc.. Media have linked like 300 players to utd, but not much have been said from the club on targets. Good on them! Very vise, as every agent in the world is trying to make money of the desperation.. And what do you know about how the players are looking in training? Absolutely nothing. Might be vise to give it few games, and then start to moan again.. Miserable gits,

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He'll really improve Matić, Mata, Lingard?

As if players are some kind of delicate flowers who cannot be disturbed. Tell them they aren't good enough in some parts of their game and demand more, it's called constructive criticism to which you expect response from the players. Painted everything as rosy and great while Matić takes 2 minutes to turn around won't make any difference. Telling him to up his game or he'll be out of the door might just work.
Didn't exactly work for Mourinho last summer did it?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Didn't exactly work for Mourinho last summer did it?
Mourinho was toxic and should've been appointed in first place, he's too arogant and smug so no wonder players couldn't wait to see back of him. Perhaps they've known (felt?) he'll be gone so there wasn't too much of an effort from them.

But his criticism made improvements with Shaw and Martial who were both once out of favour, but managed to play themselves to the starting line-up with extra work so at least he made some improvements.

passing-wind

Solskjaer is a poor coach it's been proven throughout the entirety of his career. There's a reason why he failed in competitive environments. There's no chance that this squad of players can finish in the top 4.

Arsenal last season had a fantastic home record and poor away form that is a mentality issue not a tactical / squad hindrance, though they have seemingly strengthened defence. Chelsea still have a better foundation of a team compared to us, we have the worst spine in the top 6 all we've done is replace a center half and right back.

We've lost the club's best striker and are left with utter dross upfront, we've lost the club's second best midfielder now relying on a Pogba / Matic double pivot for an entire season we have not gone one recognised wide player at the club that's left flank and the right hand side. This has been a shambolic window for us when it was essential to get players in. Solskjaer will not make it here past Christmas if you want any kind of reminders just look at last season. When the going gets tough this teams mentality will crumble because we actually have a worst team than last season.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
:lol::lol::lol::lol: We have a expert here!!!
What’s even more hilarious are the people who in November didn’t even have Ole in their top 5 list of next United managers. But then after 10 games were calling for him to be made permanent manager. And wanted our board to abandon the first sensible plan that it had in years.

It gets even more hilarious ... is how those people who wanted Ole made manager based on 10 games, then 2 months later when reality came said “don’t judge him now it’s too early” give him a window.”

Now the window is almost over...

When we’re 8th in November excuse will be; Well Ole is making big progress on the last time he managed in the premier league.

Did I mention anything to do with this.

Its very clear Ole wanted plenty of this squad gone, its quite clear that has not happened.
Ole also wanted Herrera to stay (according to Herrera himself) however its the club that messed up the deal
You can’t pick and choose which signings are Solskjær and which are the boards. Going after Dybala and then Ericson showed Solskjær really is lost for ideas... making Young captain shows that he clearly didn’t want Young out. But we need cover for Shaw at LB so I understand keeping Young.

matsdf

To all you doomsday people expecting us to fail miserably: We're 4th favorites (according to Betfair but other bookies I've checked also got us 4th) to make top four. Slightly ahead of Arsenal, and Chelsea. It will not be a miracle if we make top four. If you think so, you should throw some money at us not making it, and make some decent cash when we don't achieve our miracle.

Now I am not saying we should be fighting for the 4th place trophy, but rebuilding takes time, we need to do this one step at the time. United will once again rule England, no matter how much toxic some of you guys spew.

AJ10

What’s even more hilarious are the people who in November didn’t even have Ole in their top 5 list of next United managers. But then after 10 games were calling for him to be made permanent manager. And wanted our board to abandon the first sensible plan that it had in years.

It gets even more hilarious ... is how those people who wanted Ole made manager based on 10 games, then 2 months later when reality came said “don’t judge him now it’s too early” give him a window.”

When we’re 8th in November excuse will be; Well Ole is making big progress on the last time he managed in the premier league.

You can’t pick and choose which signings are Solskjær and which are the boards. Going after Dybala and then Ericson showed Solskjær really is lost for ideas... making Young captain shows that he clearly didn’t want Young out. But we need cover for Shaw at LB so I understand keeping Young.
:lol::lol: Indeed, you're hilarious and an expert.

Cassidy

But I never did which is my point.
I simply stated he wanted players out and they are not out simple as. he also wanted an improved attack in terms of quality available in his selection (as he said during last season) and it has not happened.

No where have I said some of the signings were his and some were the board, so why are you making that up?

nameischarles

Solskjaer is a poor coach it's been proven throughout the entirety of his career. There's a reason why he failed in competitive environments. There's no chance that this squad of players can finish in the top 4.
Failing at Cardiff is proven proof that his failed in his entire managerial career?

Status
Not open for further replies.