Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
We gave him money and he didn't challenge for the league, embarrassed vs Sevilla in CL. He was backed but his results wasn't good enough.
He won 2 cups when he took over a 5th placed team.

Next year his team was second best in the country. If that's not progress in terms of results I'm not sure what is.

haram

No, they are the reason why Jose was competing with Bournemouth after spending nearly/around 400 million.

Klopp wanted VVD in 2017-18 summer window, didn't see him throwing his toys out when he couldn't sign him. They waited and got him 6 months later, while Klopp was continuing his work. On the other hand, everything should be perfect for Mr. Toxic man. CB wasn't signed and somehow from 2nd we were competing with likes of Bournemouth.
Maybe because Jose can finish 2nd and everyone is critical and despite the good points total, the board don't fully back his vision. Which is not the case at Liverpool.

haram

Mourinho certainly couldn’t challenge with that squad, and he spent hundreds of millions on it. It was his squad. That’s the point.
Now look at the team he was supposed to challenge.

Treble

We are going from one extreme (Jose and experienced players) to another extreme (youth revolution). The idea to freshen things up and have more youth, hunger, energy in the team is a good one but we are pushing it to extremes and I'm afraid it will backfire. We may have some unexpected and sweet wins against top teams, which will make fans and everyone enthusiastic, but at some not very distant point reality will kick in and at that point we will be further behind Liverpool and City. Pray the latter stop the former from winning titles because otherwise Liverpool might easily win 3 from the next 4 PL titles and you'll see the number 21 everywhere while languishing in EL.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pretty sure Commoli had left by then?
He left in 2012, even ignoring Carroll they signed players like Benteke, Ings, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, Aspas and many more shit players. Even their DoF was getting lot of shit before Klopp took over.

roonster09

Scout
Maybe because Jose can finish 2nd and everyone is critical and despite the good points total, the board don't fully back his vision. Which is not the case at Liverpool.
Poor Jose, if only he was allowed to sign players like Perisic, Willian we would have won the league.

Siorac

Jose actually booted Lukaku from Chelsea for not being good enough when they were both there. It's almost like he brought Lukaku to Man United as a deliberate sabotage! I wouldn't put it past him tbh :lol:.
Trying to play him as a target man, hoofing long balls to him, certainly wasn't the work of a tactical genius.

haram

He left in 2012, even ignoring Carroll they signed players like Benteke, Ings, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, Aspas and many more shit players. Even their DoF was getting lot of shit before Klopp took over.
I’m not sure on how it works over there, maybe a Liverpool fan can help us.

TRUERED89

I think using Sanchez was a horrible example. I think what he's trying to say is giving de Gea a giant new contract would be like when we gave Rooney a giant new contract. Legend for the club, formally world class, but on the decline with a contract nobody will touch.

I think that's what he's saying anyway.
Okay yea that's a fair comment, if he keeps going backwards then we've got a huge dilemma. De Gea is a strange one! He saves things you never expect him to, then just lets in shots a comatose pensioners would save.

ArjenIsM3

It's not like he has shown since his tenure that he values him as a first team member did he? He knew he was most likely going for the whole transfer season and we didn't even bring in a squad player in his place.
Really? Ole played Lukaku 23 times for a total of 1362 minutes. He wasn't a guaranteed starter no but most definitely a member of the first team.

roonster09

Scout
He won 2 cups when he took over a 5th placed team.

Next year his team was second best in the country. If that's not progress in terms of results I'm not sure what is.
Why stop there, also point out he took over 5th placed team, finished 6th in first season.

Progress is not just getting results. Jose did that and that's why it was not sustainable whereas the work did by Klopp is. Funny how second best team in the country went downhill so fast just because one CB was not signed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And somehow the team that was signing Andy fecking Carroll, Benteke started to sign players like Salah, Fabinho. Must be great coincidence that their recruitment improved once Klopp took over.
If I'm not mistaken they changed their entire transfer flexibility when Klopp came in, allowing their committee to work with less obstacles. Coaches such as Mike Marsh and Colin Pascoe were sacked (according to the Liverpool echo they were responsible for identifying Benteke).

The big impact players are reportedly the work of Liverpool transfer Committee led by Micheal Edwards, Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows. Again, reportedly Klopp let them do their thing with and in came Robertson, Wjinaldum etc.

Jose had a structure that wasn't as proper as Liverpool. There wasn't a committee or a DoF. It's not really comparable, and what we know is various managers have failed under our shit infrastructure. Some more decorated than others.

haram

They work as a team, instead of washing their dirty laundry in public.
Their transfer committee? I’m sure I read that Klopp was not even that keen on Salah or something for example. I think he wanted Brandt at the time, I am not sure.

Zen86

With our squad vs City’s? Come on now. 81 is a good points total.
It’s irrelevant. We don’t celebrate second place I’m afraid, and if that’s the best that could be expected from Mourinho, only sustained by spending hundreds of millions each season, then good riddance.

haram

It’s irrelevant. We don’t celebrate second place I’m afraid, and if that’s the best that could be expected from Mourinho, only sustained by spending hundreds of millions each season, then good riddance.
You need to consider what the squad was like when he arrived. I am not celebrating being 2nd either. Clearly we deserved more credit than we got that season.

romufc

The team Ole inherited is better than the one Jose inherited. If you are going to downplay Jose winning both the Europa League and League cup in his first season then I wonder what people expect from Solskjaer this season.
It isn't about down playing. He didn't play well at all and we scrapped through so many games.

haram

It isn't about down playing. He didn't play well at all and we scrapped through so many games.
Well we had a lot of games where we created a lot of chances and simply couldn’t finish our dinner in that first season.

roonster09

Scout
If I'm not mistaken they changed their entire transfer flexibility when Klopp came in, allowing their committee to work with less obstacles. Coaches such as Mike Marsh and Colin Pascoe were sacked (according to the Liverpool echo they were responsible for identifying Benteke).

The big impact players are reportedly the work of Liverpool transfer Committee led by Micheal Edwards, Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows. Again, reportedly Klopp let them do their thing with and in came Robertson, Wjinaldum etc.
Michael Edwards was getting lot of shit before Klopp joined (or just when he joined), with fans complaining he has signed duds. They work with Klopp, discuss transfers and work as a team instead of throwing shit at each other in the media. Klopp created such an atmosphere that everyone gives so much to the team now. Everyone wants to be part of that, that's what manager should do.

If manager is good, everything falls in place. Somehow Liverpool, City, Spurs all started to sign good players once they hired very good managers.

ArjenIsM3

Just because one ended up being crap doesn't mean the other isn't as well.
At least give him time to prove he's crap. We're three matches into his first proper season. Last season Ole managed a 55% winrate (29 games) vs Mourinho's 42% (24 games) that season.

roonster09

Scout
Their transfer committee? I’m sure I read that Klopp was not even that keen on Salah or something for example. I think he wanted Brandt at the time, I am not sure.
Yes, that's what working as a team means. You take inputs and get on with the job. On the other hand we had manager crying in the media, why Perisic didn't join his club or kept on feeding information to his sidekick Duncan Castles.

haram

Yes, that's what working as a team means. You take inputs and get on with the job. On the other hand we had manager crying in the media, why Perisic didn't join his club or kept on feeding information to his sidekick Duncan Castles.
Well they have some sort of structure and what do we have? Woodward saying Maguire is not good enough and then signing him a year later?

roonster09

Scout
I think we tried to sign Longstaff but were priced out. I expect us to be back in for him next Summer, as well as for Rice and maybe Maddison if Pogba leaves.
If we keep playing 4-2-3-1 then we should sign proper #10 like Bruno who can create chances. Maddison will be good too but don't think we will sign him considering the asking price.

Zen86

You need to consider what the squad was like when he arrived. I am not celebrating being 2nd either. Clearly we deserved more credit than we got that season.
No I don’t. He spent a huge amount of money in a short space of time and got us nowhere.

In any case, this conversation is going nowhere. Mourinho could have had us relegated and you would still give him a pass. I’m out.

haram

No I don’t. He spent a huge amount of money in a short space of time and got us nowhere.

In any case, this conversation is going nowhere. Mourinho could have had us relegated and you would still give him a pass. I’m out.
Well he clearly did get us somewhere because Ole will have a difficult time getting to 81 points.

roonster09

Scout
Well they have some sort of structure and what do we have? Woodward saying Maguire is not good enough and then signing him a year later?
Well no, structure is letting manager choose the targets (which isn't good enough anyways). He wanted CBs and signed Lindelof and Bailly. We also have scouting dept but god knows how much their inputs are valued. At ManUtd everything is on manager.

Manager is also one of the most important part of recruitment team. It's not coincidence that City, Liverpool and Spurs have improved once they signed very good managers.

ValenciaRocks

Now first of all yes, this thread title is overly emotive, but I think some balance is needed here to address how well Ole is doing after inheriting the absolute shitshow that is Manchester United........
I have to say this is probably the most insightful post I have read since reading the Caf.

Ole has a huge task in rebuilding this mess and at the start of his tenure we could see the game style that he wants to adapt. OK, things have been rather gloomy since that famous night in Paris, but, Ole has a long term vision. Something we lacked with previous managers.

We need to be patient and I’m sure he, along with Phelan and Carrick take us back to the top. It’s just that right now we have City who are and have succeeded in their long term plan. The same goes for Liverpool too.

Give it 2 years (hopefully sooner) and we will be there or there abouts.

Once again, great post with all those references. More of this please

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Jose Mourinho was an absolute travesty in every way imaginable.

That there are people still prepared to defend him after he systematically ripped the club apart from within, has me questioning where their loyalties lie.

Oppos reading this thread must be laughing their asses off. Stop defending the guy.

haram

Well no, structure is letting manager choose the targets (which isn't good enough anyways). He wanted CBs and signed Lindelof and Bailly. We also have scouting dept but god knows how much their inputs are valued. At ManUtd everything is on manager.

Manager is also one of the most important part of recruitment team. It's not coincidence that City, Liverpool and Spurs have improved once they signed very good managers.
Maybe it’s no coincidence that our recruiting was also bad before Mourinho.

haram

That there are people still prepared to defend him after he systematically ripped the club apart from within, has me questioning where their loyalties lie.

Stop defending the guy.
In reality, Woodward is the actual travesty.

fps

For me there are two things which i am curious about.

1) Whether the board was unwilling to allow Ole to make wholesole changes during the summer. In that case all the blame goes towards Ed and Glazers, however Ole should have atleast voiced his concerns in a subtle way regarding transfers. For eg saying we had a good window but we were hoping for one or two attacking faces and its a shame we could not get them over the line etc. In this case as he is a club legend the fans will revolt against Ed and Glazers and will result in big spending in January and Summer.

2) if he was actually happy with the squad and he being naive thought these young players are good enough then he should get the blame for failures and make no mistake Ed will feed him to the sharks like others if we are looking at another season out of champions league football.
Solskjaer has already made a very large number of changes in the personnel he's using in matches and the players at the club at all. I find it bizarre when posters, and I assume it's mainly younger posters, suggest he hasn't made a lot of changes yet. It's simply not possible, and potentially incredibly damaging as well as inconsiderate, to simply cut players in the ways being suggested, and it's not like a player departs with a simple flick of a switch, there are a lot of factors.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Stop defending the guy.
Impossible, they love the guy too much.

I find it amusing reading through these posts and looking at people complaining about Ole selling players. The same players that no doubt if I checked their posts they were crying about last season and demanding their sales. :lol:

Apparently keeping hold of these wasters is better for the squad than just getting rid. No doubt the same people who also cry about why the club didn't sell Darmian when bids arrived a few seasons back. Damned if you do... I actually applaud the club for getting rid of these players asap, Lukaku clearly didn't want to play for us so he can feck right off. Much rather watch a youth player giving his all than Lukaku strutting around having the ball bounce off his ankle.

fps

I think using Sanchez was a horrible example. I think what he's trying to say is giving de Gea a giant new contract would be like when we gave Rooney a giant new contract. Legend for the club, formally world class, but on the decline with a contract nobody will touch.

I think that's what he's saying anyway.
I agree. I also don't think DeGea is the best communicator and that has actually contributed to the defensive instability seen recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.