Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
No one cried because no one expected this dumbwit not to replace them.
Nail on the head. So much of people being alright with certain people leaving is we all wrongly presumed they'd be replaced, because surely no one would be dumb enough to leave us with such a thin squad. Wrong we were.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He could have just signed a midfielder instead of Maguire. Mata career died 12 months ago.
We needed maguire and he'll be a great signing for us (and is already one of our most important players). There was no 1 signing fix. We needed 4-5 starters minimum, we signed 2 and James who was meant to be a squad player to start with. We still need another 3 at least. Not signing a midfielder doesn't mean that signing defenders was the wrong choice, because they were both very good signings and absolutely necessary.

AC1689

This should never be a position we accept, not for any reason. I can’t fathom why we are doing? Did anybody really think it would get this bad?! It never should have.

If we lose to Norwich we are on relegation points. He has to go if that happens.

(Table subject to change due to Newcastle result)

Castia

If the score with Newcastle stays like this and we lose today we’re outside the relegation zone on GD.

Nowhere near acceptable.

dove

If the score with Newcastle stays like this and we lose today we’re outside the relegation zone on GD.

Nowhere near acceptable.
Anything is acceptable with Ole in charge. Even if we are relegated you can be sure there would still be people trying to prove it's an expected part of a rebuilding job Ole is doing.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Herrera's decision to leave at the end of last season severely limited our midfield options for the following season, forcing Ole to keep the likes of Matic, Mata and Lingard. It was a decision bourne from necessity rather than anything else.
Herrera's decision to leave was because of Woodward's inept planning.

Herrera's so called demands were vastly exaggerated by the club to save face. Herrera wanted to stay all along. We actually let his contract run down, then at the last second, informed him by post we were renewing his deal for a further year, ignoring the gentlemen's agreement in place which needed his approval, then offered him a minimal contract to renew, whilst in the meantime, were all too happy to shower Young, Jones & Smalling with new contracts.

Young is on £120k, Matic is on £120k, Mata is on £160k, Shaw is on £195k, Lukaku was on £200k, Martial & Rashford both on £250k.

Herrera had been on approx £70-£80k a week for 5 years. He was apparently after £150k a week. Do you think that was unreasonable for a valuable leader in the dressing room?

Yet here we are, sitting in 15th... but they know what they're doing apparently.

TsuWave

Solskjaer has too often shown himself to be tactically inept

In the modern game the bigger clubs are expected to dominate possession and break down a deep- lying defence.

The reason United cannot is entirely the fault of Solskjaer, whose obsession with the 1990s extends beyond allusions to the club’s former grandeur to a tactical approach based on speed.

United’s four summer signings conform to the mantra Solskjaer revealed at the beginning of his tenure. “Pace and power, Man Utd, that’s what we are."

"When we have players like we have with pace… that’s how we played with Andy (Cole), Dwight Yorke, Ryan Giggs, and Becks down the sides. We attack quickly when you can. That’s my philosophy as well.”

That is a problem.

Premier League football has dramatically changed since those glory days, primarily because Champions League revenue has created a wealth divide that is shaping modern tactics.

Virtually every match between Man Utd and a non-‘big six’ club is distinctly territorial. The gap in quality has, out of sheer necessity, made football matches attack versus defence; possession versus counter.

The primary task of the elite manager is to coach complex attacking moves designed to pull defences out of their shell, and where pace is used in the final third it is fused with furious high pressing in order to win the ball in dangerous areas before the opponent has a chance to set themselves.

Back in the late 90s, Sir Alex Ferguson’s United could afford to be vague.

In those days pressing was sporadic and formations were simplified, the result being an elongated pitch compared with today’s ultra-compression. Taking on your man and hitting the flanks as quickly as you can: that was a legitimate method. Football has long since moved on.

Solskjaer’s concept of a ‘United Way’ died years ago and he must adapt.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ole-gunnar-solskjaers-vague-tactics-20729531
Full article at link. I just posted some paragraphs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Nowhere near acceptable.
Yeah but if we win we jump up to 7th, table is tight.

Greck

This should never be a position we accept, not for any reason. I can’t fathom why we are doing? Did anybody really think it would get this bad?! It never should have.

If we lose to Norwich we are on relegation points. He has to go if that happens.

(Table subject to change due to Newcastle result)
Including his time at Cardiff in the PL and championship Ole's entire tenure in England has been taking teams to relegation positions :lol:. I actually think he's so bad he would get any non top 6 squad relegated.

Will Singh

I can't believe there's a near 50/50 split on if he should be sacked or not, this is reminding me of the Wenger in Wenger out situation and he was making top 4 most of the time. Ole has to go he hasn't showed anything that gives him time at this club, he can talk the talk but can't back it up. Give him time they say but to do what? If after say 2 years he's getting sacked anyway as I can't see us ever improving with him so might as well leave now.

AC1689

Don't you think getting relegated might just be the kick up the ass the club sorely (intended pun) needs?

It'd be funny too.
Unfortunately I think you could be right though.

I think relegation would be the end of Woodward. He would have overseen that incredible demise. His position would be untenable.

AltiUn

Don't you think getting relegated might just be the kick up the ass the club sorely (intended pun) needs?

It'd be funny too.
Christ no, I’ve followed Championship and League One clubs my entire life, the Championship is a brutal place and with poor planning upon relegation you can find yourself being stuck there a very long time.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yes, because in the world of managers, success is not about talent and quality. It is about time. You pick random manager and in 5 years he will win the league. This is how i see current opinion about Ole
What are you on about? it takes at least 10 years to start a rebuilding process. Five years is just everyone getting to know each other.

AltiUn

Would be nice to see us winning more often. Maybe we'd score more than a goal a game? Maybe someone might score a hattrick?!
When was our last league hat trick? Must be ages now.

el3mel

Nowhere near acceptable.
Think we'll win tonight, as they're pretty crap defensively. Doubt it'll mean anything in the long run though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Needs a win today I think. If we lose this then I think he's bang in trouble.

dove

What are you on about? it takes at least 10 years to start a rebuilding process. Five years is just everyone getting to know each other.
Exactly. You cannot even begin to implement your tactics unless you buy 25 players.

owlo

The recurring theme to this thread seems to be as follows:

Those wanting OGS out present facts and evidence, his win record, his transfers, and his game management.

Those wanting OGS in present abstract notions, theories, and predictions. These are used as predication to give him time to complete this theoretical plan.

Those wanting OGS out use evidence as to why. Those wanting him in use a leap of faith.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The recurring theme to this thread seems to be as follows:

Those wanting OGS out present facts and evidence, his win record, his transfers, and his game management.

Those wanting OGS in present abstract notions, theories, and predictions. These are used as predication to give him time to complete this theoretical plan.

Those wanting OGS out use evidence as to why. Those wanting him in use a leap of faith.
It's the Brexit thread all over again.

owlo

It's the Brexit thread all over again.
Yep. I think you've given me inspiration for the answer to both problems though.

The government stay in the EU and nationalise Manchester United. They change our strip to the Union Jack and St Georges cross. (Though personally I'd prefer the reverse design on the gold sovereigns) and declare the club a manifestation of global Britain. They buy every one of the worlds best 30 players and we win everything every year to screw over the rest of Europe, and 90% of the population of the UK.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The fact people might count beating fecking Norwich as some sort of victory or step in the right direction says it all. A game like this should be a forgone conclusion, not a monumental battle.
Some just seem to be unaware of the hole we are in. Yes, we might not be ready to challenge for the title, but we should not we down the relegation end of the table. I just wish somebody involved with the club would actually explain to me what this progress is that they are seeing. It just seems an empty comment without an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.