Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch | Reports: Being considered for Canada job

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bizarre to me that he hasn’t managed to get even a championship job, all I can think is that he’s turned stuff down. Tell me any other manager that gets to 2nd and 3rd in the premier league but can’t get a gig? Even frank lampard was being offered work after the shit he got up to!

Golden Nugget

Hope he does great there. I will always love Ole, and the most enjoyable times post Fergie were under him. It fell apart in the end but while it lasted it was great.
Agreed. The treatment he gets on his is disgusting. Up till his final season, United games were genuinely fun to watch.

Sails

Supports
Galatasaray
Besiktas is dire right now. They went through 3 managers before even reaching Christmas break. Last place in their Conference League group, got outplayed by a relegation candidate team yesterday. Good luck to him if he gets the job.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope he does great there. I will always love Ole, and the most enjoyable times post Fergie were under him. It fell apart in the end but while it lasted it was great.
I agree. Really hope it goes well for him.

Amir

Bizarre to me that he hasn’t managed to get even a championship job, all I can think is that he’s turned stuff down. Tell me any other manager that gets to 2nd and 3rd in the premier league but can’t get a gig? Even frank lampard was being offered work after the shit he got up to!
Crazy that he hasn't been offered a Prem job since being sacked by us.
Appearances are everything. Rightly or wrongly, Solskjaer was seen as a bit of a laughing stock, certainly towards the end of his tenure with us. I'd understand why football clubs in England would steer clear.

GMoore23

I think he's underrated just because of how it ended here. I'd take him ahead of quite a few current PL managers so I'm surprised nobody gave him a shot.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
As with ten Hag, I feel like he could have succeeded here if the club was well run in terms of structure/staff etc.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Ole’s At The Wheel gang, we’re going to Besiktas!

Moriarty

Appearances are everything. Rightly or wrongly, Solskjaer was seen as a bit of a laughing stock, certainly towards the end of his tenure with us. I'd understand why football clubs in England would steer clear.
Ain't that the truth. He got us to a European final and 3rd and 2nd in the league. The press rubbished him and a lot of the mud that was slung at him has stuck.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Ain't that the truth. He got us to a European final and 3rd and 2nd in the league. The press rubbished him and a lot of the mud that was slung at him has stuck.
Any other manager post Fergie we've had would coo about achieving what Ole did. That the press have tarred him as some kind of incompetent fool is disgusting. Ole came closer to getting it all right than "veteran superstar managers" LVG and Mourinho did.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s said himself that he’s had offers and turned them down.

SER19

3rd, 2nd, a final, and then a collapse of huge proportions. I dont think he'd ever have been great, but I do think he'd have made us better under a proper structure. People overstate how 'poor' he was because of those last few months. He beat Guardiolas city 4 times and people still pretend he had no tactical clue. We were very good to watch at his best, hit some high scoring games including 8 against southampton, and when ronaldo came and that season was met with an expectation for us to play even more on the front foot it just didnt work. He should have stuck with his plan to just upgrade on the personell of his final full season, he might have got a tune out of sancho the same as he was doing with martial, rashford and greenwood. Anyway, good luck to Ole wherever he goes.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
3rd, 2nd, a final, and then a collapse of huge proportions. I dont think he'd ever have been great, but I do think he'd have made us better under a proper structure. People overstate how 'poor' he was because of those last few months. He beat Guardiolas city 4 times and people still pretend he had no tactical clue. We were very good to watch at his best, hit some high scoring games including 8 against southampton, and when ronaldo came and that season was met with an expectation for us to play even more on the front foot it just didnt work. He should have stuck with his plan to just upgrade on the personell of his final full season, he might have got a tune out of sancho the same as he was doing with martial, rashford and greenwood. Anyway, good luck to Ole wherever he goes.
It's so easy to forget that the first game of that season was a stunning performance from Greenwood as #9 and a Bruno hat trick. Ronaldo ruined everything.

Zen86

People were too wrapped up in us not having a “philosophy”, including the media. And philosophy in this case meant playing the same high-pressing possession football every match, which we simply weren’t equipped for. Our game was to play direct and on the counter. We played some great football at times and the highs were as good as it’s got since SAF, but obviously we had our lows as well. As soon as the pressure mounted to deviate from that formula, coupled with the arrival of Ronaldo, it fell apart pretty quickly.

SER19

People were too wrapped up in us not having a “philosophy”, including the media. And philosophy in this case meant playing the same high-pressing possession football every match, which we simply weren’t equipped for. Our game was to play direct and on the counter. We played some great football at times and the highs were as good as it’s got since SAF, but obviously we had our lows as well. As soon as the pressure mounted to deviate from that formula, coupled with the arrival of Ronaldo, it fell apart pretty quickly.
Ya, thats exactly what I think happened with solskaer. Maybe a tougher personality, maybe not signing ronaldo, he'd have stuck to his guns. But the Liverpool 5 nil woefully exposed how uncomfortable we were in that sort of set up, we were absolutely miles off it. I remember their opening goal that day, it was so so easy. He'd have been happier sitting back and playing the counter with fast and creative players. Some will say a top coach should be able to set up in a more dominant way, which may be true, but I'd argue that a really top coach sticks to their principles.

Teja

Ya, thats exactly what I think happened with solskaer. Maybe a tougher personality, maybe not signing ronaldo, he'd have stuck to his guns. But the Liverpool 5 nil woefully exposed how uncomfortable we were in that sort of set up, we were absolutely miles off it. I remember their opening goal that day, it was so so easy. He'd have been happier sitting back and playing the counter with fast and creative players. Some will say a top coach should be able to set up in a more dominant way, which may be true, but I'd argue that a really top coach sticks to their principles.
Mostly agree but

(a) I don't think anyone can resist signing Ronaldo. I remember the first game at OT after he signed, the place was absolutely on fire. I remember the shock / happiness when I first heard we pulled it off. I went to sleep resigned that he was going to City and woke up to realize he signed for United!

(b) The failure in changing styles is partly on the players too. We had McKenna and Carrick coaching guys like Ronaldo how to curve their runs when pressing and that was getting picked apart by other teams. You lose confidence in the coaching pretty damn quick.

Zen86

To be fair, by the time the Liverpool game came around, we’d already put out a string of poor performances and there was clearly discontent in the dressing room. The players had lost faith and we’d lost that game before a ball had even been kicked. It’s unfortunately been an all too common occurrence at this club.