Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkydaz

So why did he say it?

This is just another ploy to literally absolve him of anything, no?

The footy is fecking rubbish - 'it's the players'.

The deadwood are being given fond nicknames and new contracts - 'it's the board'.

Is it literally that anything that goes wrong isn't his fault...? He's the fecking manager ffs, the buck stops with him.
when it comes to the crunch regarding money he probably has had his wings clipped. Remember this time last year Jose was having his hissy fit saying don't call me manager anymore, im just a coach. Same thing is happening it seems

Ole is likely still coming to terms with what he remembers United being, and what it is now

0161_UNITED

Quite a bit has been made of this...

Some have accused Ole of being a "shill for the Glazers" or a "Yes man" after the interview. I didn't get that impression... so I transcribed it as best as I can:

"Well it's a long term, and it's a short term, project because you cannot just think 3 years down the line. So, we've got short term goals, of course. I think we've been quite calm, good in the market. Got the right people and still working on a case or two, of course, and we're always looking to improve the squad... All over Summer I've been in touch with Joel and Ed and the recruitment people and the analysis people ... I've got the backing and we've got the people we wanted for now and there will be probably be some more business being done, yeah."

This has been seized upon and reduced to "We are only getting one, or 2, more players at most."

This has been distinctly contrasted to his statements after the Everton debacle, if anyone has the stomach to look at various player ratings, when Solksjaer said some of these players won't be here next season:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=jH....184.286.0j2......0....1..gws-wiz.3MzzORqVnD8

It was a complete catastrophe, and far as from a tactical masterclass as you could get. Lindelof shifted to RB to cover for Pogba, Dalot shifted to LB for cover for Fred, and Rashford pushed to the right. An unmitigated disaster. Young and McTominay had to be brought on at the half, IIRC.

It was widely accepted as a total condemnation of the entire team, but Jones, Young and Smalling were singled out on the Caf (rightly so).

So I'm going to flip the script for a second, because one thing lost in the shuffle is that our forwards and midfield were absolute crap as well. Pogba was horrible, Matic was dreadful, Lukaku was abysmal.

What if the "still working on a case or two" isn't directly translating directly to "one or 2 more players in" but - Controversy Inbound - really means, resolving the Pogba and Lukaku situations? There are probably more than enough people on here who feel that Lukaku and Pogba can leave if the price is right, and it means we can reinvest in the team.

I'm sure Ole's ire after that match could have been directed at any player, or the team as a whole, but let's break it down a bit more:

Jones, Smalling and Young are not great players, but they've survived SAF, Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. They're past being first team starters, but if we're facing paying Mings transfer fees and wages to replace them, they're cheaper as squad players who at least remember when we were successful. Along with Mata, who took a pay cut to stay apparently, it's probably cheaper to keep the old guard around for another season or two then ship them out.

"We've got the people we wanted for now and there will be probably be some more business being done, yeah"
What if that means "we're going to sell Pogba and Lukaku, acknowledge we need some experienced squad players who are happy to be squad players, and take the money and rebuild the team."?

Personally, I'm all for it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
that highlights it not his decisions then doesn't it?
Not really. Dithering Moyes, same thing happened fans blamed board but it was actually the manager being overwhelmed. We saw with LVG and Mourinho that the board to back managers with signings... no don’t bring up Mourinho last season. I’m talking about his first summer.

I see Ole getting the same blind support that Moyes got from fans. That’s worrying. This club is at a critical stage and Ole ruining this summer rebuild will set us back 5-10 years.

clarkydaz

Not really. Dithering Moyes, same thing happened fans blamed board but it was actually the manager being overwhelmed. We saw with LVG and Mourinho that the board to back managers with signings... no don’t bring up Mourinho last season. I’m talking about his first summer.

I see Ole getting the same blind support that Moyes got from fans. That’s worrying. This club is at a critical stage and Ole ruining this summer rebuild will set us back 5-10 years.
Curious what you think has changed in the short time where he was livid saying 'these wont be here', to now saying 'everyone gets a chance'. Or did he completely change his mind on that statement and say 'no Ed, put your money away, don't buy 6 players'.

consider this board spent a month haggling for a crystal Palace fullback, and also that they can only focus on one deal at a time

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Curious what you think has changed in the short time where he was livid saying 'these wont be here', to now saying 'everyone gets a chance'. Or did he completely change his mind on that statement and say 'no Ed, put your money away, don't buy 6 players'.

consider this board spent a month haggling for a crystal Palace fullback, and also that they can only focus on one deal at a time
Talk is easy. Action is harder. Example, Ole talks and knows what people want to hear.

I’m #glazersout but £50m for an uncapped Crystal Palace RB is excessive, any board that paid whatever Palace were initially asking would automatically be making the rest of their business 25% more expensive. Don’t forget City negotiate and pull out if the price isn’t right for them.

Gasolin

The much maligned lack of "structure" is Sir Alex's big legacy to United. It means the manager has to have a keen eye for talent, in addition to being a good coach.

It means he has to follow the European market and identify talent from it too. We have no idea if Solksjaer is up for that task. We don't even know if the "domestic" talent he has identified will be good enough.

We also don't know what his preferred style of play is, and already people are projecting their unfettered desires into that one. De Gea needs to be replaced by a modern goalkeeper that uses his feet well. What makes you think Solskjaer wants to play that way? We need players that can press. What makes you think Solskjaer wants to press?

I fear our manager is gonna be a huge disappointment to a lot of our fans in all sorts of ways, in regards to both the necessary and real requirements of his job (which are demanding enough on their own), and the the projected fantasies we've piled on top of that.
Why don't you just look at his work at Molde? It's a clear indication of how he wants to play, and who he is close in term of top managers. I am tired of that BS, Solskjaer may not be a big name yet, but his style is clear and he has consistently shown to the football world that he tried to understand the game and impact it, as a sub, and now as a manager. Really leave him alone at this point. Everyone who has analyzed his way of playing at Molde has come to the conclusion that he is a manager who focuses on scoring a lot of goals, mixing high press and counter attacks in function of the context. Very flexible tactical shape. He involves his midfielders to the goals and even the 6 is allowed to move forward. He has improved some of their strikers who couldn't score in their previous clubs and is now making tremendous statistical progress, etc... so clearly, the guy has an understanding of football, and likes to score.

So what makes you think he doesn't want to press?!?

clarkydaz

Talk is easy. Action is harder. Example, Ole talks and knows what people want to hear.

I’m #glazersout but £50m for an uncapped Crystal Palace RB is excessive, any board that paid whatever Palace were initially asking would automatically be making the rest of their business 25% more expensive. Don’t forget City negotiate and pull out if the price isn’t right for them.
But your gripe is with Ole, who said he wanted his new players in for preseason. Ed leaks an email about inflated market and you blame the manager

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Solskjær talks a good talk. But this window is exposing him to be out of his depth.

Talked about deadwood being moved on and rebuild etc. But we’re currently weaker then when he took over.
How are we weaker than when he took over? We've literally signed a RB who is actually a RB and a promising winger.

Is anyone ever happy on this site?

dove

How are we weaker than when he took over? We've literally signed a RB who is actually a RB and a promising winger.

We lost Herrera, extended contracts with all the deadwood, are about to lose Pogba and Lukaku which will basically mean that our "rebuilding" will be losing our best players while keeping all the deadwood. It doesn't surprise me I have been saying a few months ago that it's gonna happen but I think quite a few people believed that Ole is the man who have balls to rebuild our squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Solskjær talks a good talk. But this window is exposing him to be out of his depth.

Talked about deadwood being moved on and rebuild etc. But we’re currently weaker then when he took over.
He said some of these players won't be here which they won't. He can't just give players like Rojo away for free unfortunately.

Leftback99

We lost Herrera, extended contracts with all the deadwood, are about to lose Pogba and Lukaku which will basically mean that our "rebuilding" will be losing our best players while keeping all the deadwood. It doesn't surprise me I have been saying a few months ago that it's gonna happen but I think quite a few people believed that Ole is the man who have balls to rebuild our squad.
Do you honestly believe that Solskjaer wouldn't ditch this squad and buy the best in the world in each position this summer if he was allowed?

dove

Do you honestly believe that Solskjaer wouldn't ditch this squad and buy the best in the world in each position this summer if he was allowed?
I believe he particularly likes certain players no matter how mediocre they are.

Eddy_JukeZ

"A ‘foreign contingent’ are said to be worried about Solskjaer’s old school, ‘British’ methods and feel that there has not been enough importance placed on ball work."

I swear the same was said about Moyes if it's true.

George The Best

He might still want to, but can he attract them? Look, I desperately hope Ole is successful here because we really need a lift right now. Nevertheless it gets annoying to hear the likes of Ndombele saying he was attracted by Poch, Tielemans saying the same about Rodgers, Rodri the same re Pep. Let’s be honest, Ole just doesn’t have the same gravitas in management at the moment. He might turn out to be an inspired appointment, get them playing at a higher level as he did when he first joined, and be our saviour. Who knows, but he’s going to have to do it on fairly meagre resources to start with, as no CL and Ole is not a big attraction however you look at it.

Gasolin

He might still want to, but can he attract them? Look, I desperately hope Ole is successful here because we really need a lift right now. Nevertheless it gets annoying to hear the likes of Ndombele saying he was attracted by Poch, Tielemans saying the same about Rodgers, Rodri the same re Pep. Let’s be honest, Ole just doesn’t have the same gravitas in management at the moment. He might turn out to be an inspired appointment, get them playing at a higher level as he did when he first joined, and be our saviour. Who knows, but he’s going to have to do it on fairly meagre resources to start with, as no CL and Ole is not a big attraction however you look at it.
Rodgers?!? Err, let's not insult Ole but ok.

clarkydaz

"A ‘foreign contingent’ are said to be worried about Solskjaer’s old school, ‘British’ methods and feel that there has not been enough importance placed on ball work."

I swear the same was said about Moyes if it's true.
it would be bang on for Moyes though. Ole said the opposite in his latest interview

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think our players are wankers but the man has been here 8 months and I have not heard any tactical or philosophical message he is trying to pass across apart from work rate.
That's said, hope he gets them to work their lazy arses off.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Wan Bissaka said he wants to be part of Ole's plans in his interview. It's the same stuff every player comes out with once the money is right. We'd have got Ndombele if we had wanted him because we pay more than Spurs.

Gasolin

I think our players are wankers but the man has been here 8 months and I have not heard any tactical or philosophical message he is trying to pass across apart from work rate.
So why don't you just analyze his teams, or what other analysts are saying about his teams? It's clearer than any message he has to pass. It shows on the field.

C'est Moi Cantona

We all know it'll end badly, but at least this time the fans will be on the managers side, rather than blaming him for everything.

Ed & the Glazers, the heat will be firmly on you this time around.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Wan Bissaka said he wants to be part of Ole's plans in his interview. It's the same stuff every player comes out with once the money is right. We'd have got Ndombele if we had wanted him because we pay more than Spurs.
Ndombele didn't come because we had no CL. No CL with a rookie manager is a tough sell and hence we are going British to have players join us based on past reputation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If we can have the foundation set, may be a progressive manager can take over and get us forward.

Just like what Rodgers did to Liverpool , I am only expecting Ole to lay the foundation of a hardworking high tempo team.

Bojan11

This seems like last season. Nothing’s changed. You see Madrid making signings and it’s quite annoying we yet to back another manager. Another pre season where players that shouldn’t be there get to go on and we haven’t made lots of significant improvements to the team.

We got our best player sulking too.

HJ12

The Ogden article is such biased nonsense though. Another article on Football365 has an interview with Joe Gomez where he talks about the fact that Liverpool have also just started pre-season, and he says that it's been really hard as there's a lot of running involved. I'm sure most feckin clubs are running more than usual at the start of preseason as part of the usual prep but because we're Man United, there always seems to be a bullshit narrative floating around. Running around alot in preseason is too British :houllier:?

It looks to me like the media knives are truly out and being sharpened for Ole. The way things are shaping up at the moment appears as if though it will probably go pear-shaped for him very quickly if we don't get off to a good start.

AFC NimbleThumb

If we can have the foundation set, may be a progressive manager can take over and get us forward.

Just like what Rodgers did to Liverpool , I am only expecting Ole to lay the foundation of a hardworking high tempo team.
Been saying this about OgS, I see him as a sacrificial lamb of sorts.

He’ll be tasked with [apparently slowly] getting rid of deadwood & playing youngsters due to no better, older options.

He’s the man before the man.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Before Ole took over our midfield needed one top class CM addition.
Now we’ve lost two, maybe 3 players... our midfield is already weaker and if Pogba leaves it’ll be much weaker.

Selling Fellaini was good. But who has replaced him? No one. Ok, let’s say McTomminay will be Fellaini’s replacement that’s one area fixed. That still leaves two CM signings, one to replace Herrera and one that we would have needed anyways even if we kept Herrera and Pogba stays. If Pogba also leaves then we need to also find a world class CM who can get assists and goals.

Yes we signed a RB, I’m not complaining, but I do wonder about the 19 y/o Portuguese RB we signed last year who just needs nurturing and time. Have we given up on him?

Lukaku, yeah as a striker he’s play let’s us down, but selling him is only good if Ole has the know how and appeal to replace him
with someone better

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The Ogden article is such biased nonsense though. Another article on Football365 has an interview with Joe Gomez where he talks about the fact that Liverpool have also just started pre-season, and he says that it's been really hard as there's a lot of running involved. I'm sure most feckin clubs are running more than usual at the start of preseason as part of the usual prep but because we're Man United, there always seems to be a bullshit narrative floating around. Running around alot in preseason is too British :houllier:?

It looks to me like the media knives are truly out and being sharpened for Ole. The way things are shaping up at the moment appears as if though it will probably go pear-shaped for him very quickly if we don't get off to a good start.
I think he'll be gone by the end of the season. He doesn't have the players.
6th or 7th again next year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tielemans was offered to Spurs and Manutd, who both rejected the chance to sign him. His only option was Leicester. Of course player says he was attracted by club/manager when they sign. No one says they went for money. For example AWB said he was convinced by Ole and wanted to be part of the squad.

"That is something I want to be a part of. It was the gaffer’s decision and his plan to rebuild, and to bring the team back to where it is supposed to be. I wanted to be a part of that plan."
Managers are small part in the overall package. Hazard rejected SAF's ManUtd to sign for manager less Chelsea who were about to appoint Di Matteo as their manager. Club's position, financial package are the biggest thing that matters when they sign.

Ziggy Starduster

He’s a dead man walking. I feel totally and utterly sorry for him because I’m sure he’s been promised the earth and getting very little.
Once Pogba goes, I still don’t think we will buy another player. That squad he’s left with is not good. Patches of quality but overall it’s going to struggle to make top 6 - and that would be with a good manager, which we don’t know if Ole is at this level.
Unless we get in 3 or 4 quality players before the season kicks off, he will be sacked by Christmas. Only this time the fans will be on Woodward’s back rather than the manager.
This season is going to be nasty and toxic.

Rusholme Ruffian

Managers are small part in the overall package. Hazard rejected SAF's ManUtd to sign for manager less Chelsea who were about to appoint Di Matteo as their manager. Club's position, financial package are the biggest thing that matters when they sign.
This is only partly true. Di Matteo had, at that point, just won the FA Cup and Champions League with Chelsea - it's only hindsight that tells us that things turned to shit for him the next season. At that point everything looked very rosy for Chelsea, and Di Matteo was part of that - his star was in the ascendency and, at that stage at least, he looked like he could be the real deal.

It's a bit different signing for someone who has won nothing at the highest level, and who presided over a truly diabolical run of form at the end of the previous season.

Rusholme Ruffian

He’s a dead man walking. I feel totally and utterly sorry for him because I’m sure he’s been promised the earth and getting very little.
Do we actually know this? I'm pretty sure he's been brought in with a specific brief to try and get the best out of the players that we've got and to target/develop young (cheaper) signings.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As far as I'm concerned Ole has a free pass. The problems that exist at Man Utd are not because of him, and they won't go away because the senior management insists on holding out for unrealistic fees for the deadwood.

Darmian was expected to leave last summer, Jose openly talked about it, Darmian is still here. Will anyone be surprised if we hold onto him for another year? No. The club is paying ridiculous wages to average players and is therefore finding it tough to attract other clubs to buy them. These dead weighs are dragging down United like an anchor and as long as that's the case Ole won't be able to achieve anything. The unwanted players will continue to poison the dressing room with their casual, don't give a damn attitude. Its like we've got a dressing room of Winston Bogarde's.

Eddy_JukeZ

As far as I'm concerned Ole has a free pass. The problems that exist at Man Utd are not because of him, and they won't go away because the senior management insists on holding out for unrealistic fees for the deadwood.

Darmian was expected to leave last summer, Jose openly talked about it, Darmian is still here. Will anyone be surprised if we hold onto him for another year? No. The club is paying ridiculous wages to average players and is therefore finding it tough to attract other clubs to buy them. These dead weighs are dragging down United like an anchor and as long as that's the case Ole won't be able to achieve anything. The unwanted players will continue to poison the dressing room with their casual, don't give a damn attitude. Its like we've got a dressing room of Winston Bogarde's.
He won't get a free pass if we fail to make top 4.

Chelsea are severely weakened and Arsenal are Arsenal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is only partly true. Di Matteo had, at that point, just won the FA Cup and Champions League with Chelsea - it's only hindsight that tells us that things turned to shit for him the next season. At that point everything looked very rosy for Chelsea, and Di Matteo was part of that - his star was in the ascendency and, at that stage at least, he looked like he could be the real deal.

It's a bit different signing for someone who has won nothing at the highest level, and who presided over a truly diabolical run of form at the end of the previous season.
He wasn't even permanent manager at that time and Chelsea didn't have manager.

Also you just turned everything into rosy, it was anything but rosy. Chelsea had no choice as he won CL, so they had to offer him contract when it was obvious it will end in one way.

Eddy_JukeZ

That hire was always stupid by Chelsea.

That Chelsea CL title was arguably a bigger fluke than Greece at the Euros.

They got completely dominated by both Bayern and Barcelona and somehow won it all. They didn't even play good defense(like they did vs Barca in 2009). They got literally dominated in their final 2 games of the campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.