Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Question to Ole supporters.

How are Rodgers and Lampard able to instantly achieve what they have, but Solskjaer continues to be wretched after a considerably longer period of time?
Because they already have WC squads that Ole is aspiring to build! So simple
That's what they will say

lysglimt

Scout
And whatever happens on the pitch doesn't really matter right? As long as squad building is going good getting outplayed by nobodies is a good thing i reckon. Also is 5th our target?
If we had been outplayed by nobodies, I would agree with you. But we are not - we just don't create enough chances and don't score enough goals. I am not saying we are one player away from being a top-side, but a motivated Paul Pogba With his creativity would have made a huge difference.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If we had been outplayed by nobodies, I would agree with you. But we are not - we just don't create enough chances and don't score enough goals. I am not saying we are one player away from being a top-side, but a motivated Paul Pogba With his creativity would have made a huge difference.
One player away from being a top side? :lol:

lysglimt

Scout

How are Rodgers and Lampard able to instantly achieve what they have, but Solskjaer continues to be wretched after a considerably longer period of time?
I know the answer you are looking for is - because they are better managers and OGS is useless.

But what if I turn it around and ask - why have Celtics results improved when Lennon took over compared to what Brendan Rodgers got with Celtic ? Does that make him a better manager - maybe we should hire him instead of Rodgers.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I know the answer you are looking for is - because they are better managers and OGS is useless.

But what if I turn it around and ask - why have Celtics results improved when Lennon took over compared to what Brendan Rodgers got with Celtic ? Does that make him a better manager - maybe we should hire him instead of Rodgers.
It’s a very interesting point about Lennon at Celtic. I think this was more to do with Rodgers having done a brilliant job over a prolonged period, but things maybe going a tad stale.

Anyway, instead of shifting the emphasis of the debate, can you know directly answer my question?

lysglimt

Scout
It’s a very interesting point about Lennon at Celtic. I think this was more to do with Rodgers having done a brilliant job over a prolonged period, but things maybe going a tad stale.

Anyway, instead of shifting the emphasis of the debate, can you know directly answer my question?
Because they have both done really good jobs - but also because they took over Clubs who had a balanced Squad. I am actually more surprised that Lampard could turn Chelsea around so quickly than what Rodgers had done. I think Leicester either have been lucky With how they have recruited or they have had a long-term plan (I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the latter)

They have a very good goalkeeper, one of the most talented left-backs in the country in Chilwell, and a good attacking right-back in Pereira. Evans has been solid and Soyuncu has surprised me even if I don't think he is a top-top defender.

Their midfield is very strong - everyone knew Ndidi was a quality player and combined With Tielemans that makes a strong and balanced centre-midfield. Maddison is a very good creative midfielder and on top Vardy has regained his form which Puel never managed to get out of him.

They have a strong, balanced Squad - add to that they have no injuries and they don't have to play European football which helps. But at the same time - if Leicester were to lose Vardy, Ndidi and Evans through injuries - they have no players capable of replacing them. Their Squad is thin.

Rodgers has done well - no doubt about it.

Chelsea impress me going forward but I think they are awful defensively. The main reason behind their success are Mount and Abraham who has done brilliantly. But its not like Chelsea has a poor side - it just looks like Lampard is experiencing the same honeymoon-period OGS had when Mourinho left. If he can keep it up all season, well done to him. But Chelsea also need to keep their key-players fit. They have no players to replace Abraham and Kante.

But they have steel in central midfield in Kante and Kovacic, creativity in Pulisic and Willian, a clever runner in Mount and Abraham who is scoring goals. The pieces have fallen into Place. But I also think Chelsea will be easier to break down for the other-top clubs than Leicester will be. With full Squads, Leicester look more dangerous than Chelsea.

el3mel

Lame comparison ?

Mourinhos team ended 2nd - after a lot of really poor performances in the latter half of the season, and then completely derailed the season after

Atkinsons team ended 4th - after picking up 41 Points from the first 15 matches. Then got Robson injured and dropped down to 4th. And then completely derailed the season after.
Ole's situation is far better, and didn't have to deal with any massive cultural problems in the squad like the drinking problem in case of Ferguson. Beside he got the squad while they were 6th not close to relegation, and were derailing because of the manager having a meltdown not because they were poor players. It's lame to suggest there's any similarity between both. And again, it working once in last 20 years with the best manager in history doesn't make it a rule, or that any manager given 5 years would turn to Fergie. Guess in that case we should have let Moyes complete his 6 years plan.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Why are there 15 other managers in the league that can't do it either? Why are we focusing on the two flavours of the month? Were you saying how great they were 6 months ago?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why are there 15 other managers in the league that can't do it either? Why are we focusing on the two flavours of the month? Were you saying how great they were 6 months ago?
Isn’t that the point though? They’ve come with low expectations and implemented a clear vision as to how they want to play and done so very well.

Leftback99

Isn’t that the point though? They’ve come with low expectations and implemented a clear vision as to how they want to play and done so very well.
They have done well so far but there were very few saying how great they were at Celtic at Derby on here. If they are doing it now why weren't they doing it at Celtic and Derby?

Berbasbullet

They have done well so far but there were very few saying how great they were at Celtic at Derby on here. If they are doing it now why weren't they doing it at Celtic and Derby?
Brendan won the treble at Celtic and was on course to do it twice? I believe?

Didn’t Lampard push Derby towards promotion?

The reason no one lavished praise on them is that tbh they weren’t exactly relevant to us, and you’ll probably find that they did.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Chris Wilder
Eddie Howe
Graham Potter
Sean Dyche

Just a handful of managers punching above their weight this season.

Solskjaer is fecking useless.

ayushreddevil9

They literally prove the level of delusion in your excuses for Ole so now you dig up the past. Very difficult to compare apples with apples it seems.

Leftback99

Brendan won the treble at Celtic and was on course to do it twice? I believe?

Didn’t Lampard push Derby towards promotion?

The reason no one lavished praise on them is that tbh they weren’t exactly relevant to us, and you’ll probably find that they did.
Celtic win the league every year regardless who is in charge. Neil Lennon won the treble after Rodgers left. Barely anyone was saying Rodgers or Lampard should be our next manager, now they are the best things around.

settembrini

Stop with the fake news. They didn’t sign any CB’s in the summer.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45128928

One of those centre halves cost £3.5m from... United.

And is better than the slab headed cnut we paid £90m for
One of them cost £19m and the other £13m.

I guess by £3.5m you mean Evans. A player we sold to West Brom back in 2015, not to Leicester this summer. And no he isn't better than Maguire and neither did Maguire cost £90m. That's an impressive amount of things you got wrong in just two short sentences, and you also called our player a cnut. Great post you should be proud :)

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I guess by £3.5m you mean Evans. A player we sold to West Brom back in 2015, not to Leicester this summer. And no he isn't better than Maguire and neither did Maguire cost £90m. That's an impressive amount of things you got wrong in just two short sentences, and you also called our player a cnut. Great post you should be proud :)
We flogged Evans for a pittance in comparison to what we spent on Maguire and the difference in quality is negligible.

Leicester are laughing all the way to the bank and the CL.

They have a better side without Maguire.

ayushreddevil9

Because they have both done really good jobs - but also because they took over Clubs who had a balanced Squad. I am actually more surprised that Lampard could turn Chelsea around so quickly than what Rodgers had done. I think Leicester either have been lucky With how they have recruited or they have had a long-term plan (I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the latter)

They have a very good goalkeeper, one of the most talented left-backs in the country in Chilwell, and a good attacking right-back in Pereira. Evans has been solid and Soyuncu has surprised me even if I don't think he is a top-top defender.

Their midfield is very strong - everyone knew Ndidi was a quality player and combined With Tielemans that makes a strong and balanced centre-midfield. Maddison is a very good creative midfielder and on top Vardy has regained his form which Puel never managed to get out of him.

They have a strong, balanced Squad - add to that they have no injuries and they don't have to play European football which helps. But at the same time - if Leicester were to lose Vardy, Ndidi and Evans through injuries - they have no players capable of replacing them. Their Squad is thin.

Rodgers has done well - no doubt about it.

Chelsea impress me going forward but I think they are awful defensively. The main reason behind their success are Mount and Abraham who has done brilliantly. But its not like Chelsea has a poor side - it just looks like Lampard is experiencing the same honeymoon-period OGS had when Mourinho left. If he can keep it up all season, well done to him. But Chelsea also need to keep their key-players fit. They have no players to replace Abraham and Kante.

But they have steel in central midfield in Kante and Kovacic, creativity in Pulisic and Willian, a clever runner in Mount and Abraham who is scoring goals. The pieces have fallen into Place. But I also think Chelsea will be easier to break down for the other-top clubs than Leicester will be. With full Squads, Leicester look more dangerous than Chelsea.
Expected response. Suddenly both these squads are very good and the managers have very little role to play in their development or the way these teams are setup and performing. There's a reason why they are performing and its not luck. It called good coaching.

You keep talking about injuries as if we were prime barca when Pogba was playing or even Martial. Martial, to some extent i i can understand but pogba played a lot more games and we were equally trash.

And if everything depends on 1-2 players than it shows that the manager is completely dependant on individual brilliance rather than building a system to get the best out of most players.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Regardless of their past, if Frank and Brentan can do it with their clubs than why not Ole? Ole has spent most time with this squad so it is difficult to understand the logic behind any excuse.

Honeymoon period, okay. Doesn't look like that to me but let's wait until the season is over.

Rodgers and Leicester? Not buying any excuse.

Berbasbullet

Celtic win the league every year regardless who is in charge. Neil Lennon won the treble after Rodgers left. Barely anyone was saying Rodgers or Lampard should be our next manager, now they are the best things around.
Yeah cos Brendon left in like February?

I don’t think anyone has said Lampard should be our manager have they?

I think the frustration is that they have both taken over their team and have a clear vision of how they play and have coached their teams clearly very well when we struggle to create chances day in and day out.

Look at Vardys goal yesterday, we unfortunately couldn’t do that at the moment.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Regardless of their past, if Frank and Brentan can do it with their clubs than why not Ole? Ole has spent most time with this squad so it is difficult to understand the logic behind any excuse.

Honeymoon period, okay. Doesn't look like that to me but let's wait until the season is over.

Rodgers and Leicester? Not buying any excuse.
Because Solskjaer is a useless manager

There is a reason he was managing Molde for so many years

We’ve given the manager’s job to a fecking raffle winner – again

The mind actually boggles that people think we are going to achieve anything with him at the helm

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If they are doing it now why weren't they doing it at Celtic and Derby?
They probably were to be fair, they just had less publicity on them.

Celtic under Rodgers went on a record breaking 69 domestic games unbeaten streak when he went there in 2016. Had their own Invincibles season in 16/17. Became the first manager in Celtic history to win the treble in successive years. So he had numerous record breaking success, with countless trophies there.

Lampard instilled the belief in his young Derby to play like a top team, with high ball possession and aggressive pressing. He navigated an extremely tough Championship, taking them to the play-off final in his first season, narrowly missing out in the end.

Looking at it, there's no denying they both did fantastic work at their respective clubs. The question was, can they replicate it at a higher level? Well they're certainly answering that question so far aren't they?

Last edited:

Conor

I mean, it's blatantly clear Leicester have a better team than us, regardless of coaching(Rodgers is obviously a better coach than Ole). They lost Maguire, and had a young CB step in who has been one of their best performers this season. We lose someone to injury and we have absolute crap step in. Ole should clearly be doing better, but lets use some reason when discussing the 2 teams.

LARulz

I mean, it's blatantly clear Leicester have a better team than us, regardless of coaching(Rodgers is obviously a better coach than Ole). They lost Maguire, and had a young CB step in who has been one of their best performers this season. We lose someone to injury and we have absolute dredge step in. Ole should clearly be doing better, but lets use some reason when discussing the 2 teams.
Would you have honestly said Leicester had a better team than us at the start of the season with everybody fit?

Give Ole Leicester and they'd be in the shit. Give Rodgers even United and we'd be higher up. On paper, our goalkeeper and defence is better (or was considered it). Midfield was our weak spot, only Pogba of obvious quality. You'd obviously take Vardy but Rashford/Martial would still be in the team

el3mel

I mean, it's blatantly clear Leicester have a better team than us, regardless of coaching(Rodgers is obviously a better coach than Ole). They lost Maguire, and had a young CB step in who has been one of their best performers this season. We lose someone to injury and we have absolute dredge step in. Ole should clearly be doing better, but lets use some reason when discussing the 2 teams.
Was the opinion last season that they have a better team than us?

Kemizee

That was not the point - read what I replied to. He basically said a good manager got his team to play the football he wanted right away. Well - Ferguson sure as hell didn't. Because he took over an aging, crap side where 90% of the players weren't good enough.
Ferguson had pedigree. There was hope somewhere. What does Ole have apart from club goodwill because objectively looking at his career, he should not be managing us.

dove

So according to you, Leicester signed 2 defenders for last season to replace Maguire who they sold this season. You should check the dates.

Conor

I would say so, they have better players in the key positions for the most part. Vardy is better than any of our strikers, Maddison and Ndidi are 2 of the best young players in the league, they had Maguire and Evans at CB, and 2 quality full backs. I don't think Ole is doing a good job, but I could confidently say that if we even just had Vardy up top this season, we would be far closer to the top of the table. When you think about some of the important chances our strikers have missed, that have lead to us drawing/losing games, I don't think that is too bold of a statement.

Leftback99

Would you have honestly said Leicester had a better team than us at the start of the season with everybody fit?

Give Ole Leicester and they'd be in the shit. Give Rodgers even United and we'd be higher up. On paper, our goalkeeper and defence is better (or was considered it). Midfield was our weak spot, only Pogba of obvious quality. You'd obviously take Vardy but Rashford/Martial would still be in the team
'With everybody fit' is the key. Leicester have had their best 11 nearly every game, we clearly haven't.

el3mel

I would say so, they have better players in the key positions for the most part. Vardy is better than any of our strikers, Maddison and Ndidi are 2 of the best young players in the league, they had Maguire and Evans at CB, and 2 quality full backs. I don't think Ole is doing a good job, but I could confidently say that if we even just had Vardy up top this season, we would be far closer to the top of the table. When you think about some of the important chances our strikers have missed, that have lead to us drawing/losing games, I don't think that is too bold of a statement.
Vardy is better than Lukaku sure but you genuinely believed at this time the rest of their attack was better than say Rashford and Martial, that Maddison and Ndidi are better than Pogba and Herrera? I highly doubt that. I think you are talking through hindsight. Remember they finished 9th with 52 points. I doubt anyone will think the 9th spot time has better squad over all than us. 1 or 2 better players, sure, but the squad overall? Doesn't make any kind of sense.

dove

Funny seeing a player who has been clearly not good enough for us (Evans), everyone wanted to get rid of him and now getting praised non stop as being better than what we have :lol: If we switched squads with Leicester I have absolutely no doubts you would be saying they have a better squad. The main difference I can see between them and us is that they have a clearly better manager who makes the team look better while ours make it look much much worse.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
When Puel was there, they were truly hideous to watch and were rightfully languishing in mid table. Only player I would have took at the time was Pereira.

Nobody in their right mind would have been able to call beforehand what Rodgers has since done there.

It's rewriting history completely.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is full of it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Leicester sold Maguire in summer 2019... the articles you linked are from 2018 for player Leicester signed in 2018... before Rodgers was there and Maguire was even sold.

If anything shows the stupidity or dishonesty of Ole in fans it’s this.

Which player of ours did I call a Cnut? Your clearly a deceiver and now resorting to lying or will just distort something I said about JLingz being a z list celebrity first footballer second.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Teams like Leicester clearly run the football side very well and make it easier for the manager.

It's all well and good comparing managers like Rodgers and Lampard with Ole, but really it's what they would do at Man Utd that counts, not other clubs. We have a very distinct way of running as a big club which so far has proven to be a hindrance to even the best of managers.

Ironically, their sacking of Ranieri, which Gary Neville and the rest of the media decried, is a good example of their often good decision-making.

Leftback99

May 6th
Forget City, I think there's a decent chance we'll finish below at least one of Leicester, Everton or Wolves next season with these players.

All three have a better defence and midfield than us and are in a better position to add to specific positions to improve further.

Status
Not open for further replies.